Devious Devices: Follower Escape LE/SE

Devious Devices: Follower Escape LE/SE

View File

Description

This mod adds standard escape mechanics for followers wearing generic Devious Devices. I wrote it to try and get a better balance between restricting key availability and having followers running (or hopping) around in Devious Devices for months at a time.

Attempting to remove a locked generic device from your follower without the appropriate key in your inventory will trigger a device menu with options to examine the device, help your follower to struggle, pick the lock or cut open the device. Difficulty and recovery times for repeated attempts are the same as for the PC and depend on your dD MCM settings and the device itself. 

DDFE differs from the normal player escape system in that cooldowns are shared across devices/methods - for example a Follower who is tired after trying to remove an Armbinder will also be too tired to struggle out of any other device.

Escape methods work as follows:

Help Struggle

Encourage your follower to struggle out of the device.  Attempting to struggle out of a device will tire them so they will not be able to struggle out of any device for some time afterwards. If you have multiple followers wearing you can encourage each of them to try as you you are not the one getting tired. If the follower succeeds in escaping the device they will drop it on the ground, if they fail they there is a chance that they tighten the device so much they can never struggle out of it.

Pick Lock

You try to pick the lock on your follower's device. Once you have attempted this you will be tired and unable to try again on any Follower device for a while. If you succeed the unlocked device will be placed in your inventory, if you fail there is a chance that you may trigger a safety shield making the device's lock  impossible to pick.

Cut Open

You try to cut open your follower's device. Once you have attempted this you will be tired and unable to try again on any Follower device for a while. If you succeed the unlocked device is destroyed, if you fail there is the a chance that you may scare your Follower so much that they will never trust you enough to let you try and cut open the device again!

Settings

As mentioned previously the difficulty settings for device escape are controlled by your settings in the Devious Devices MCM.  There are no specific settings for DDFE so I have not added an MCM as it would be a waste of a slot.

You can activate or deactivate DDFE as required by starting or stopping the quest "ddFEMainQuest" in the console. 

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    11/04/2021
  • Category
  • Requires
    Devious Devices 5.00+
  • Special Edition Compatible
    Yes

Thanks for this. 

Looks good, and it should make a great compliment to the DD Helpers mod, so that even if your party does run out of keys etc that you crafted before starting on any particular quest, you will still stand a chance of not having to 'go back to the start'.  Or you can just go hardcore without DD Helpers in the first place!

I'll have to try this out when I get to a suitable point to add it into the present game. 

9 hours ago, donkeywho said:

Thanks for this. 

Looks good, and it should make a great compliment to the DD Helpers mod, so that even if your party does run out of keys etc that you crafted before starting on any particular quest, you will still stand a chance of not having to 'go back to the start'.  Or you can just go hardcore without DD Helpers in the first place!

I'll have to try this out when I get to a suitable point to add it into the present game. 

Which mods allow key crafting, if you don't mind me asking?

3 hours ago, Anunya said:

Which mods allow key crafting, if you don't mind me asking?

I think DD or DCL has key crafting feature. It is an old feature that being left without maintaining/improving. You need the recipe in the Forbidden Bookcase in the library.

Honestly I never craft key. DCL itself drop enough key to use that I even sell a bunch of spare to Laura's shop.

26 minutes ago, hungvipbcsok said:

I think DD or DCL has key crafting feature. It is an old feature that being left without maintaining/improving. You need the recipe in the Forbidden Bookcase in the library.

Honestly I never craft key. DCL itself drop enough key to use that I even sell a bunch of spare to Laura's shop.

Thanks!

I haven't played with DCL, so that's why I find it hard to obtain keys :)

Seems like I can pickpocket them in SL Survival, buy them from Laura, and get them in the key-game from a Devious Follower. Keys are hard to come by!

5 hours ago, Anunya said:

Thanks!

I haven't played with DCL, so that's why I find it hard to obtain keys :)

Seems like I can pickpocket them in SL Survival, buy them from Laura, and get them in the key-game from a Devious Follower. Keys are hard to come by!

In case it's of any interest, this is how I use mods like this

First thing I do in every game is get access to Winterhold College to steal the Books in the 'Forbidden Shelf' in Urag's Library.  Key is on his desk and needs to be 'Stolen'

Once read, then Restraint keys, Piercing Removal Tools and Chastity Keys can be crafted at any forge for Iron Ingots

Of course, you can cheat by just using 'AddMenuItem' to put the books in your inventory at the outset, read them then, and you're good to go - but where's the fun in that? :P

Anyway, FWIW, with or without DCL in the game, I limit PC and Followers to each having 5 Restraint Keys, 3 Piercing Removal Tools and 1 Chastity Key before each Dungeon Crawling quest etc and no replenishment allowed other than going to a forge with the necessary materials or, ff you use Devious Chests or DCL, getting lucky with key drops from those too

In conjunction with the Devious Helpers mod, this allows you to have the PC remove a limited number of DDs from themselves and Followers, and Followers to remove DDs from the PC until they run out of the right kind necessary.  Bane's Follower Escape mod - here - extends the chances for the party, PC and NPCs, to escape beyond that, with the DD escape options struggle etc / success / failure etc now adding their particular frisson too 

And with the 'Better NPC Support' mod also active in game, Followers can't use weapons if restrained in functional DDs, so you also have a strategic choice to make as to what you remove to conserve keys etc for use in your travels - a follower with their hands restrained is not much help in a punch up ....

Sure, some self discipline is needed re the actual number of keys held in inventory, but it does add an edge to the game.

And most of that also applies if you use Defeat, some versions of which can also add some DDs if you lose a fight.  The Bane version of Defeat only adds non-functional DDs from DD4.3, :classic_sad:, so it's less of a challenge, but there is a patch by @AndrewLRG to update the basic Defeat 5.3.5 version to add functional ones from DD5+.  I've yet to try that but it will have a sharper edge to Defeat in general and the game's risk

Whatever, hope that's of some help

2 hours ago, donkeywho said:

In case it's of any interest, this is how I use mods like this

First thing I do in every game is get access to Winterhold College to steal the Books in the 'Forbidden Shelf' in Urag's Library.  Key is on his desk and needs to be 'Stolen'

Once read, then Restraint keys, Piercing Removal Tools and Chastity Keys can be crafted at any forge for Iron Ingots

Of course, you can cheat by just using 'AddMenuItem' to put the books in your inventory at the outset, read them then, and you're good to go - but where's the fun in that? :P

Anyway, FWIW, with or without DCL in the game, I limit PC and Followers to each having 5 Restraint Keys, 3 Piercing Removal Tools and 1 Chastity Key before each Dungeon Crawling quest etc and no replenishment allowed other than going to a forge with the necessary materials or, ff you use Devious Chests or DCL, getting lucky with key drops from those too

In conjunction with the Devious Helpers mod, this allows you to have the PC remove a limited number of DDs from themselves and Followers, and Followers to remove DDs from the PC until they run out of the right kind necessary.  Bane's Follower Escape mod - here - extends the chances for the party, PC and NPCs, to escape beyond that, with the DD escape options struggle etc / success / failure etc now adding their particular frisson too 

And with the 'Better NPC Support' mod also active in game, Followers can't use weapons if restrained in functional DDs, so you also have a strategic choice to make as to what you remove to conserve keys etc for use in your travels - a follower with their hands restrained is not much help in a punch up ....

Sure, some self discipline is needed re the actual number of keys held in inventory, but it does add an edge to the game.

And most of that also applies if you use Defeat, some versions of which can also add some DDs if you lose a fight.  The Bane version of Defeat only adds non-functional DDs from DD4.3, :classic_sad:, so it's less of a challenge, but there is a patch by @AndrewLRG to update the basic Defeat 5.3.5 version to add functional ones from DD5+.  I've yet to try that but it will have a sharper edge to Defeat in general and the game's risk

Whatever, hope that's of some help

That was definitely useful... especially as I just started another College play through. I never realized that the book is what gave you the ability to craft keys.

Thinking of adding Devious Chests and this for the strategic elements as well. Thank you! :)

7 minutes ago, Anunya said:

That was definitely useful... especially as I just started another College play through. I never realized that the book is what gave you the ability to craft keys.

Thinking of adding Devious Chests and this for the strategic elements as well. Thank you! :)

One quick point I missed

I'm not sure if you are using LE or SSE.  I don't know if there is a publicly available version of the @AndrewLRG Defeat patch available for SSE.  The LE Defeat thread has a reply showing how to convert it, and while what's required to do that may be simple, it's beyond my mere abilities.

But this is Bane's DD Follower thread, so I'd better skip on out of here before I digress too much ... ?

• 3 months later...

This looks like a great mod and one that I might load into my game. My possible problem is that it seems to be dialogue based. I'm not sure what mod is causing my gagged character to not be able to engage in a dialogue with another gagged character but it would keep this menu option from showing up. I kind of get the motivation for that, but one doesn't need to talk with one another to help pick a lock on their arm binder, so that is the current barrier to this being useful for me. It is actually when I am in those situations that I find that I need to be able to remove the gag from my follower, so that I can have her help me out. 

55 minutes ago, cerebus300 said:

This looks like a great mod and one that I might load into my game. My possible problem is that it seems to be dialogue based. I'm not sure what mod is causing my gagged character to not be able to engage in a dialogue with another gagged character but it would keep this menu option from showing up. I kind of get the motivation for that, but one doesn't need to talk with one another to help pick a lock on their arm binder, so that is the current barrier to this being useful for me. It is actually when I am in those situations that I find that I need to be able to remove the gag from my follower, so that I can have her help me out. 

Look for the mod...

Devious Devices Helpers SE v1.04.9

... and that might give you what you are looking for

19 hours ago, DonQuiWho said:

Look for the mod...

Devious Devices Helpers SE v1.04.9

... and that might give you what you are looking for

Thanks for the heads up. I do have that mod, and it is really useful, generally, but still has the gag/gag restriction, so that I can't access any of the dialogue menu options. Seems to be a problem that I just need to work around when it happens. Unfortunately, when it does it can be so difficult to get out of the situation without cheating, that I tend to take gags off as soon as I can when they pop up. It is too bad, because I like the aesthetics of the gags, but they are such a pain to deal with in terms of game-play that they aren't worth dealing with.

• 1 year later...
On 11/5/2021 at 9:02 AM, hungvipbcsok said:

I just wonder do you think about making it compatibility with Unforgiven Device.

This mod is not needed at all if you're using Unforgiving Devices, NPC struggle mechanics are in there in full, including ability to help them out of the restraints.

2 hours ago, kurotatsu said:

This mod is not needed at all if you're using Unforgiving Devices, NPC struggle mechanics are in there in full, including ability to help them out of the restraints.

Yep - you only need either this Mod or UD - not both.

Choice depends purely on what mechanics/content you prefer. Follower Escape is a light weight extension of dD standard methods for those who prefer that approach.

3 hours ago, donttouchmethere said:

Now I wonder what dialogue option triggers what.

Must ask the TES5edit oracle ?

All slotted NPC struggle automatically, using proper UD mechanics. You can turn auto-scanning NPC on and off in UD options.

Next, you have NPC interaction button ; by default, you can use it to access devices on your follower or make them help you.

Finally, any NPC with bound hands has dialogue line "let me see what you got", giving you full access to their inventory, including ability to interact with their worn devices.

If you have more questions - please go the UD support thread, as my answers here are clearly off-topic, for which I apologize to  @Bane Master