The XBox One / PS4 Discussion Thread

Monsto Brukes

What does the xbox one mean to you?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. What does the xbox one mean to you?

• So What. (ambivalent.)
    • Where do I pre order? (phenominal!)
    • WTF is wrong with you, MS?! (horrible!)

The existance of the Xbox Live Arcade and Playstation Network doesn't tell me that consoles are trying to kill Indie games. IIRC, Journey was a PS3 exclusive.

And? I never said consoles couldn't get exclusives, but the PC market is much larger for indie games. Have you seen the average console user? If it ain't exploding and it ain't call of duty, 99% of them aren't interested.

Suits me just fine, I won't touch the damn thing  ;)

Welcome to the future!

Interesting to see how things will pan out, now that the Kinect is a mandatory piece of hardware for the XBone... Poor "consumers".

Wow. Microsoft officially never fails to surprise me. Good luck with that.

The PC may not get the recognition it deserves, but it's getting a wider variety of games and access to games on the platform is better than ever thanks to services like Steam, Desura, GoG, and so on.

To be honest, another reason why I chose to focus on the computer came from the fact that it doesn't really seem like there is much at all that consoles have to offer that a computer doesn't.

That's kind of the point I was trying to make. Maybe saying they were trying to "kill" it was an overstatement, but services are much more receptive on the PC than they are on consoles, especially with Microsoft going down the "lets restrict and control all content and redistribution" road.

And yeah, I don't see the point of owning a console. Basically everything it does, the PC does better, and I don't have to worry about Kinect big brother or any other such nonsense. I was never bothered about exclusives either. I'm not paying $500 to play a damned game.

I meant that the status quo will be maintained, games are shitty on the PC simply because of economics, still better than consoles in most cases but it could be better. And what Indie games? People talk and talk about indie games but no indie game has had a big long lasting impact on me besides Minecraft which is just a lego simulator without anything else going for it, unlike memorable bigger budget titles in the last 10 years that we all have.

FLT, Mark of the Ninja, Thomas was Alone etc, etc... were all cute and all but none had long lasting impact and will be forgotten in time they are a curiosity, an anomaly in a world of bland shooters, the big kickstarters? Torment with 4 million? Costume Quest cost the same and that was the scope of game you got can you make a modern Torment with the same density as the old one for that ammount of money? I know little of game development but I'm betting on a no.

Again, I disagree. Games aren't "shitty on the PC" they're shitty all across the board. They're shitty for the most part because shit is what sells these days. That's true for PC, PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii and anywhere else you look, so I don't see where you're coming from with this "PC games are shitty" angle.

The whole point of indie games is that they cater to a minority and a niche in the market and by that logic will almost never really "take off" while still being good games in their own right. Some become too popular, and then the franchise ceases to be an "indie game" and becomes mainstream. A case can be made that X-COM 1 and 2, Fallout, Laser Squad, Stalker and even The Witcher were all indie games before they became "big", but even stuff like Amnesia, Dear Esther, and a number of others are proof the indie market comes up with good titles. If you don't like the ones you've played, maybe you don't like Indie titles. Or maybe you haven't found the right ones.

@ Angrybird,

Saying "PC games will stay shitty" somehow implies they are better for consoles, which they're not, I'd say standard are shitty across the board. Overall though, PC has hods of better games, if only because it caters to indie developers which consoles are trying so hard to kill.

I wouldn't say consoles are trying to kill indie games at all. They're starting to embrace them, in fact.

Indie

- [PC] You publish whatever you want. PayPal, Dresura, kickstarter and so on.

- [PC]Steam, you do not need a publisher you only need 100$ and green lit.

- [PS4] you do not need a publisher you will be able to publish your game in ps store yourself (details still unknown)

- [XBOX ONE] you need a publisher before even you try to talk about placing your game close to x0 and possibly you will have to suck off bill gates himself. - About bill gates, still not confirmed :P

Indie

- [PS4] you do not need a publisher you will be able to publish your game in ps store yourself (details still unknown)

- [XBOX ONE] you need a publisher before even you try to talk about placing your game close to x0 and possibly you will have to suck off bill gates himself. - About bill gates, still not confirmed :P

Bill Gates hasn't worked at Microsoft in quite some time now, sweetie. But point taken.

Either way, they all are a lot better about indie development than they have been twelve or so years ago.

Gates is no longer in MS but as a founder/stockholder.

Of late and from what I'm seeing, more "non-tech" people are picking up cheaper tablets and smartphones and downloading games for them. If that trend continues, then this larger audience -- of which smaller game developers are courting -- may soon disregard traditional gaming consoles and handhelds.

Just got the PS4 reveal issue of Game Informer today (I get them several months after the fact for some reason) and they had an article on indie developers. Apparently Microsoft has been growing increasingly more difficult to work with as the years have passed when compared to their chief competition. The article had a focus on the developers of Super Meat Boy and how Microsoft screwed them over. The XBLA is no where near as indie friendly as it once was.

That said I didn't expect much from Microsoft's reveal and was still somewhat disappointed. It's looking like they really want to get in on the cable broadcasting market which itself is obsolete now anyways. Then you got the used game fee thing and you get yourself a recipe for disaster. These next gen console look like they will not catch on at all.

Again, I disagree. Games aren't "shitty on the PC" they're shitty all across the board. They're shitty for the most part because shit is what sells these days. That's true for PC, PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii and anywhere else you look, so I don't see where you're coming from with this "PC games are shitty" angle.

I corrected it afterwards, shitty is an exaggeration for what could be better games if their quality didn't rely on the console market, PC gaming and gaming in general has been losing depth, for a lack of better description, for years now and that is the consoles fault for trying to pander to every crowd.

Stalker? THQ. The Witcher? Atari. The other 3 are so different from modern games that they may as well come from a different planet so I won't take them into consideration when analyzing the current market. Amnesia sold 1M copies, not enough for the resurrection of PCentric gaming as some people seem to think indie games will do.

Indie

This.

Just got the PS4 reveal issue of Game Informer today (I get them several months after the fact for some reason) and they had an article on indie developers. Apparently Microsoft has been growing increasingly more difficult to work with as the years have passed when compared to their chief competition. The article had a focus on the developers of Super Meat Boy and how Microsoft screwed them over. The XBLA is no where near as indie friendly as it once was.

And this.

I corrected it afterwards, shitty is an exaggeration for what could be better games if their quality didn't rely on the console market, PC gamingand gaming in general has been losing depth, for a lack of better description, for years now and that is the consoles fault for trying to pander to every crowd.

Fair enough, I agree with you on that, up to a point, as I believe with some titles and franchises (and genres - RTS anyone?) the PC still holds the edge. Its a thin edge, but it does so none the less.

Stalker? THQ. The Witcher? Atari. The other 3 are so different from modern games that they may as well come from a different planet so I won't take them into consideration when analyzing the current market. Amnesia sold 1M copies, not enough for the resurrection of PCentric gaming as some people seem to think indie games will do.

While I understand the publisher can be important in deciding what an "indie" title is, I also take into account things like innovation and development freedom and autonomy. Those two titles were good examples of games that didn't "conform" and as a result felt like "good" games and not your average "summer blockbuster". As for the former, the fact they're different makes no difference whatsoever, that's the whole point of an Indie game. I'm also not saying Indie games are the salvation of the PC market either, nor have I ever. As for "PC centric gaming" some people will always prefer the PC.

Given how the Xbox One is going, and the direction of "gaming" consoles in general, I see a boomerang effect coming up in the next generation and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the PC market grew at the expense of console markets.

I corrected it afterwards, shitty is an exaggeration for what could be better games if their quality didn't rely on the console market, PC gaming and gaming in general has been losing depth, for a lack of better description, for years now and that is the consoles fault for trying to pander to every crowd.

Side note, Atari only advertised and published wither they didn't paid for it development.

What i hate is that alot of good games go shit on the PC because of horrible porting this involves alot of games that have cars (like Saints Row 3 and GTA IV)

I dumped my PS3 months ago to buy a new GPU from what it looks Xbox One will be TV and tracking you

What makes me sad is the fact that 3 people I know IRL watched the live event and still want it. They don't believe the no used games, internet check every day, account bound games so getting hacked/banned means lose all your games, cloud based games that must always have an internet connection.

Gaming in our household is entertainment. We don't have cable and we don't have satellite TV. A complete waste of money for what you get, not to mention it's bad enough paying out the nose and still have to deal with commercials. The original idea behind cable was subscription based TV and no commercials. Now, it's gone beyond that and become a utility, much like the internet. A utility I could easily do without. We had an XBox, a PS3, with TVs for each. Not to mention, everyone in the house has their own computer built for playing games on. What can I say. We are a family of gamers. We ended up adding another PS3 and sold the Xbox for cheap. Compared to the PS3, Xbox sucked. In order to get it on the internet (we have a wireless network for obvious reasons), you had to go buy a wireless antenna specifically for the Xbox and it isn't cheap. PS3 has that antenna built in. Xbox can play DVDs, but not blu-ray. PS3 can play blu-ray both and yes, we do occasionally rent movies. Games also look and perform better on the PS3 than they do the XBox. At least for me they do. Microsoft has problems at the moment. It had a hard time selling people on Windows 7 because of their bad experiences with XP. Now that people are discovering that Windows 7 is actually somewhat stable and given the horrid reviews coming out on Windows 8, a lot of people aren't even going near it. I know I won't be. As for XBox One, I smell a flop in the making. Sony is supposed to be come out with the PS4 sometime this year and even the tech trenders seem to know very little bit about it. It will be interesting to see what Sony does with the PS4. If they do it right, it could be the death nail for XBox. I know I won't be crying any tears over the loss.

http://dottech.org/110416/could-microsoft-be-gathering-your-personal-data-from-the-xbox-one-and-selling-it-australia-and-germany-are-concerned/

http://www.fortsec.com/german-data-protection-commissioner-expresses-privacy-concerns-about-xbox/

"The Xbox One continuously records all sorts of personal information about me. My reaction rates, my learning or emotional states. These are then processed on an external server, and possibly even passed on to third parties. The fact that Microsoft could potentially spy on my living room is merely a twisted nightmare,"

Paranoid? Maybe. Concerned enough, so I won't buy it? Definitely.

I'm down with the Xbox One if I can ditch the Kinect. I don't care about used games or the internet connection or any of that, but I do want the Kinect to be optional for two reasons..

1. I am not going to jump around and gesticulate in front of my screen.

2. My screen is a projector, standing in front of it presents an inherent problem in viewability.

So my only concern is that if games can assume it's there and 'force' you to use it (by relying on it for any game 'stuff'), it'll probably be tough to know which ones work properly without it.

If it turns out you can't play any/most games without it there, I'll pass. I already have a 360 and an HTPC (FSX on a 100" screen with throttle & joystick is awesome, btw!).

The Kinect? Oh yes Microsoft! Make sure we can turn that off completely! That'll TOTALLY make everything better and make us forgive the fact that you're forcing hardware onto us that we don't even want, a huge chunk of your console's power is devoted entirely to an oversized and useless processing system, you have absolutely no regard for the fact that you're trying to sell a video game console, you're charging us for playing a game we're burrowing from a friend, all the games are going to require an internet connection every 24 hours even if you want to play single-player mode, and you're trying too hard to step on the toes of television, let alone computers. BUT WE GOTTA MAKE SURE that the thing you're going to try to be saying "Xbox On" to can't hear you! SO important!

Look, I get it. A lot of people used their Xbox 360s for their netflix compatibility. I remember when I used to use Xbox Live seeing my friends list filled with people who were netflixing, so it's good you recognize the trends of your consumer base and cater to their needs. I totally respect that. And personally I don't really mind the Kinect all that much as long as Microsoft isn't doing anything funny with it on their end. But the always-online thing, no doubt a form of DRM, and the charging for used games? That's gotta go. If you MUST have the always-online thing then make Xbox Live free.

A $500 spy device in my living room that can only run games slightly better then a X360 or a $1,000 desktop that can run any game in the world on ultra and only has the programs/features I want. What a hard decision. Honestly only a total moron would choose the Xbox one over... well just about any other gaming system.   

PS. The desktop can be used completely hands free with the right program.

Archived