So here's what I tried:

Help DDBU 0 brought me to the quest ID.  Strangely, when I put in SQS fe0af802, it said the AddPerk quest was running. (screenshot 1).

But, when I looked at the perks in my pipboy, the "null" perk you showed was still not there.  command.  I got a message in console that I added level one of a perk, but after checking my pipboy again, the "null" perk wasn't there, and neither was any other perk that appeared to be related to DDBU. 

So then I tried to use the player. addperk command.  I got a message in console that I added level one of a perk, but after checking my pipboy again, the "null" perk wasn't there, and neither was any other perk that appeared to be related to DDBU. 

When that didn't seem to work, I tried using the "startquest" command.  That didn't work either.  (Screengrab 2).  

I then interacted with the dead body from either RC8 or Cursed DD Enchantings (not sure which), and then went to the Armor Workbench at Red Rocket.  Here's what it looks like before I try to interact with the Armor Bench.  (Screengrab 3).  Hitting "E" brings me directly into the usual menu without any other options provided.  (Screengrab 4).

I'm at a loss.

377160_20220514002648_1.png

377160_20220514004531_1.png

377160_20220514004506_1.png

377160_20220514004513_1.png

6 hours ago, MrNicoras said:

Help DDBU 0 brought me to the quest ID.  Strangely, when I put in SQS fe0af802, it said the AddPerk quest was running. (screenshot 1).

But, when I looked at the perks in my pipboy, the "null" perk you showed was still not there.  command.  I got a message in console that I added level one of a perk, but after checking my pipboy again, the "null" perk wasn't there, and neither was any other perk that appeared to be related to DDBU. 

So then I tried to use the player. addperk command.  I got a message in console that I added level one of a perk, but after checking my pipboy again, the "null" perk wasn't there, and neither was any other perk that appeared to be related to DDBU. 

You won't see that Perk in your Pipboy - you have to look at your character's stats in console.

8 hours ago, MrNicoras said:

When that didn't seem to work, I tried using the "startquest" command.  That didn't work either.  (Screengrab 2).  

I then interacted with the dead body from either RC8 or Cursed DD Enchantings (not sure which), and then went to the Armor Workbench at Red Rocket.  Here's what it looks like before I try to interact with the Armor Bench.  (Screengrab 3).  Hitting "E" brings me directly into the usual menu without any other options provided.  (Screengrab 4).

1 hour ago, IBAGadget said:

You won't see that Perk in your Pipboy - you have to look at your character's stats in console.

IBAGadget is correct.  You would need something like Better Console to see if the perk is on your character.  If you used player.addperk [formID], that should be sufficient.

Ultimately, DDBU is a very simple mod.  The perk only checks a couple of things:

1- DDBU master switch is on, and player is wearing items with keywords from the DD_ItemTypeKeywords formlist.  The restraints from the body outside Sanctuary (which is from RC8) definitely qualify, unless something else modifies them.

2- The armor workbench needs to have one of the two vanilla keywords: AnimFurnWorkbenchArmorA, or workbencharmor. 

You can check the DD items and WorkbenchArmorA furniture for overwrites in xEdit.  Looks like you're using a vanilla armor workbench (rather than something added by a mod). 

One other thing did jump out at me about your screenshot: your armor workbench doesn't show the usual "Craft" and "Transfer" options.  Only "Use".  This means some other mod is adding a perk that affects your interaction with benches, possibly at a higher priority than DDBU.  If that's the case, you won't be able to spot a conflict in xEdit.  You'll have to think about your various mods and possibly disable/reload a few until you find the right one.

For the record, I tested both Cursed DD Enchantings and Boston Devious Helper, but neither of them appear to be the culprit:

Spoiler

ScreenShot514.jpg.bf004a45ad2561070e83cd83abe546e8.jpg

1 hour ago, spicydoritos said:

IBAGadget is correct.  You would need something like Better Console to see if the perk is on your character.  If you used player.addperk [formID], that should be sufficient.

Ultimately, DDBU is a very simple mod.  The perk only checks a couple of things:

1- DDBU master switch is on, and player is wearing items with keywords from the DD_ItemTypeKeywords formlist.  The restraints from the body outside Sanctuary (which is from RC8) definitely qualify, unless something else modifies them.

2- The armor workbench needs to have one of the two vanilla keywords: AnimFurnWorkbenchArmorA, or workbencharmor. 

You can check the DD items and WorkbenchArmorA furniture for overwrites in xEdit.  Looks like you're using a vanilla armor workbench (rather than something added by a mod). 

One other thing did jump out at me about your screenshot: your armor workbench doesn't show the usual "Craft" and "Transfer" options.  Only "Use".  This means some other mod is adding a perk that affects your interaction with benches, possibly at a higher priority than DDBU.  If that's the case, you won't be able to spot a conflict in xEdit.  You'll have to think about your various mods and possibly disable/reload a few until you find the right one.

For the record, I tested both Cursed DD Enchantings and Boston Devious Helper, but neither of them appear to be the culprit:

Reveal hidden contents

I have seen this if I have handcuffs on - I can still use the workbench to craft - but "Use" only.  I take off cuffs at main workbench then back to the armor bench and it shows the proper terms.

John

54 minutes ago, MrCruelJohn said:

I have seen this if I have handcuffs on - I can still use the workbench to craft - but "Use" only.  I take off cuffs at main workbench then back to the armor bench and it shows the proper terms.

John

That's quite surprising, actually.  I specifically tailored DDBU to work with RH, so as to avoid that specific outcome you mentioned.  I haven't seen that issue since development.  Which version of RH do you use?

Edited to add another thought: do you use the RealHandcuffs DD Compatibility plugin that comes with RH?  If not, handcuffs won't have a recognizable keyword on their own.  So if you only had handcuffs and no other DD, then the armor bench options would be governed by RH instead.

Edited by spicydoritos

That's quite surprising, actually.  I specifically tailored DDBU to work with RH, so as to avoid that specific outcome you mentioned.  I haven't seen that issue since development.  Which version of RH do you use?

Edited to add another thought: do you use the RealHandcuffs DD Compatibility plugin that comes with RH?  If not, handcuffs won't have a recognizable keyword on their own.  So if you only had handcuffs and no other DD, then the armor bench options would be governed by RH instead.

I am using 0.4.14  - I do also use the 2 patches for RH compatability for Devious Devices and AWKCR - which might be the issue since the RH patch is for the DD 2.0 and I am using the RC8.  

John

PS - yes, I know!  AWKCR is still used because so many things have it linked, but honestly I have messed with it in xEdit over the years it isn't/hasn't been a problem... *I think*

21 minutes ago, MrCruelJohn said:

I am using 0.4.14  - I do also use the 2 patches for RH compatability for Devious Devices and AWKCR - which might be the issue since the RH patch is for the DD 2.0 and I am using the RC8.  

John

PS - yes, I know!  AWKCR is still used because so many things have it linked, but honestly I have messed with it in xEdit over the years it isn't/hasn't been a problem... *I think*

If you're comfortable messing with xEdit and feel like running a test, here's an option:

Open up your full mod loadout in xEdit.  Find RH and check the record for handcuffs.  See which p[lugin is winning the final conflict, and whether or not the DD keywords are being added.  If not, you can copy them over to the winning version.  That might be enough to resolve your issues.

39 minutes ago, spicydoritos said:

If you're comfortable messing with xEdit and feel like running a test, here's an option:

Open up your full mod loadout in xEdit.  Find RH and check the record for handcuffs.  See which p[lugin is winning the final conflict, and whether or not the DD keywords are being added.  If not, you can copy them over to the winning version.  That might be enough to resolve your issues.

I would guess it is in this location.

John

cuffs.JPG

10 hours ago, spicydoritos said:

So..... Could this be the culprit?  If so, I'm not sure why there's a null reference there.  This .esp is directly from the download link and I haven't tinkered with it at all.....

Screenshot (2).png

10 hours ago, spicydoritos said:

Reveal hidden contents

Also, here's a screenshot of my load order in Xedit.  DD Bench Unlock is 4th from the bottom.  FuncDis - Horizon Patch is a self made compatibility patch for Functional Displays that I made after my previous post yesterday.  SS2 Misc patch is literally a blank patch to make everything green.  and Universal Working Bathroom Fixtures shouldn't impact this.  I opened them all up so you could see the contents of each plugin...  I'm not seeing anything that would overwrite the workbench keyword that DD Bench Unlock shouldn't have already overwritten.... Like I said, I'm at a loss.... 

Screenshot (3).png

6 minutes ago, MrNicoras said:

So..... Could this be the culprit?  If so, I'm not sure why there's a null reference there.  This .esp is directly from the download link and I haven't tinkered with it at all.....

Screenshot (2).png

Nah, every version looks like that.  Most of those properties are left over from initial development, when I was trying to run all functions in the perk script instead of calling back to a library script. 

You could also narrow down the culprits by finding all perks on your character, and the mods that add them, using Better Console (or equivalent).  Then either check those perks or just disable and test in game.  Or even start from absolute basics: create a test game with nothing but DDBU and its masters.  That way at least you know it's not a corrupted download or somesuch.

23 minutes ago, spicydoritos said:

Or even start from absolute basics: create a test game with nothing but DDBU and its masters.  That way at least you know it's not a corrupted download or somesuch.

That was my thought too.  But the idea of reloading 370 some mods one or even ten at a time until I find the culprit sounds like a nightmare...... ???

I'm scrolling through all my mods in xEdit looking for which include the armor workbench to see if one of those keywords was removed.  

23 minutes ago, MrNicoras said:

That was my thought too.  But the idea of reloading 370 some mods one or even ten at a time until I find the culprit sounds like a nightmare...... ???

I'm scrolling through all my mods in xEdit looking for which include the armor workbench to see if one of those keywords was removed.  

The armor bench is easy to check: open the furniture directly in the main plugin and see if anything overwrites it.

My best guess is that another mod adds a perk which affects armor benches, or perhaps workbench-type furniture in general.  I suggest narrowing down the culprits to those which add such perks, and then do a more targeted disable/reload testing regimen.

23 minutes ago, spicydoritos said:

The armor bench is easy to check: open the furniture directly in the main plugin and see if anything overwrites it.

That's the thing.  It doesn't look like anything is overriding either keyword in any way that would matter....

AnimFurnWorkbenchArmorA (Screengrab 1)

WorkbenchArmorA (Screengrab 2)

I also looked through every mod that had a FURN entry in xEdit.  Any reference to the armor bench included either one or both of the above keywords.  Also, I've really only tested this on vanilla armor benches out in the world, and it hasn't worked.  I'm leaning towards the Perk not being added to my character for some reason.  But, like I said in an earlier post, trying to add the perk with console didn't appear to work either.  I'm stumped. 

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

Whelp.  Started a test character with only these mods enabled: (Screengrab 1)

The mod works with this loadout.   (Screengrab 2)

Which means I guess I'm not playing tonight.  I'm testing goddamn mods.....  I'll report back when I find the mod/mods causing the problem.  If something is incompatible, I can live with that.  But if something should work, but isn't, then that will drive me nuts.....

377160_20220514220538_1.png

Screenshot (6).png

So.  After three hours of enabling and testing 342 active mods, I found the culprit.  @MrCruelJohn,  since your problem sounded similar, do you happen to have Junk to Components installed?  Because this is the only mod I was running that caused the armor workbench to not give the unlock option in my game.  I took a look at it in xEdit, but I didn't see anything that stood out as a reason why these two mods would conflict.  If you could suggest a fix to make these two mods play nice together, I'd really appreciate it @spicydoritos.   Either way, this one is the problem for my load order.  Just in case anyone else runs into it. 

What a brilliant mod :classic_smile:

I'm using SH on this playthrough and the DD stuff does get rather irksome after a time (particularly if willpower from SA is low). I noticed that even with a new Armour Workbench in Home Plate it still charges, I assume it's because Home Plate doesn't qualify as a workshop (as per the OP).

The bypass and kick are a real hoot, it's worth getting bound up just for that :beer:

7 hours ago, MrNicoras said:

So.  After three hours of enabling and testing 342 active mods, I found the culprit.  @MrCruelJohn,  since your problem sounded similar, do you happen to have Junk to Components installed?  Because this is the only mod I was running that caused the armor workbench to not give the unlock option in my game.  I took a look at it in xEdit, but I didn't see anything that stood out as a reason why these two mods would conflict.  If you could suggest a fix to make these two mods play nice together, I'd really appreciate it @spicydoritos.   Either way, this one is the problem for my load order.  Just in case anyone else runs into it. 

Thank you for going to all the effort!  Trust me, I fully understand the hyper-obsessive "why the everlasting fuck won't this thing work?!? I will not be defeated!" mindset.  Short version, I've attached a patch (ESL-flaggged) that lets JTC and DDBU work together.  If you're wearing DD, then the armor bench will show the unlock option, and if not, it'll show the Junk Scrap option.

Long version, your plight revealed an engine issue I wasn't even familiar with.  JTC, of course, adds a perk that allows you to use the benches for automatic scrapping.  The issue turns out not to be any kind of direct conflict with DDBU, but that both mods add new activation options to the armor bench.  FO4's engine tries to add both new options, but it can't display more than one extra option.  The result is that *none* of the new options show up and the engine defaults to the single option labeled "Use".  Unfortunately, that means any mod which adds new activation options to an object will conflict with any other mod that tries to do the same thing.  Such mods can be patched to work together, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any global solution.

JTC DDBU Patch.zip

31 minutes ago, spicydoritos said:

It has been a while since I used vanilla Home Plate (I've had Aloot's Home Plate installed for ages), but I believe it's one of those cases, yes.

That would make sense as you can't hook Home Plate up to the rest of trade routes from settlement to settlement.

I decided to start a new game because of this mod, it adds so much. I think it's absolutely hilarious when you kick the workbench and it takes a picture of you to feed to SH, I'm still gurgling with laughter over that one. "Yeah, I gave the bastard a good kicking and look what happened" - LOL it's just so evil in a nice way ?

Thank you for going to all the effort!  Trust me, I fully understand the hyper-obsessive "why the everlasting fuck won't this thing work?!? I will not be defeated!" mindset.  Short version, I've attached a patch (ESL-flaggged) that lets JTC and DDBU work together.  If you're wearing DD, then the armor bench will show the unlock option, and if not, it'll show the Junk Scrap option.

Long version, your plight revealed an engine issue I wasn't even familiar with.  JTC, of course, adds a perk that allows you to use the benches for automatic scrapping.  The issue turns out not to be any kind of direct conflict with DDBU, but that both mods add new activation options to the armor bench.  FO4's engine tries to add both new options, but it can't display more than one extra option.  The result is that *none* of the new options show up and the engine defaults to the single option labeled "Use".  Unfortunately, that means any mod which adds new activation options to an object will conflict with any other mod that tries to do the same thing.  Such mods can be patched to work together, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any global solution.

JTC DDBU Patch.zip 9.31 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you for the patch! And for the explanation.  I'm glad my suffering led to some furtherance of knowledge.  That's far more satisfying than hitting a brick wall and being left with ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️.  Even if my specific problem wasn't the same as @MrCruelJohn, it seems likely after your explanation that he has a different mod causing the same issue.  Hopefully this helps others going forward.  Thanks again for helping me work the problem.

31 minutes ago, MrNicoras said:

Thank you for the patch! And for the explanation.  I'm glad my suffering led to some furtherance of knowledge.  That's far more satisfying than hitting a brick wall and being left with ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️.  Even if my specific problem wasn't the same as @MrCruelJohn, it seems likely after your explanation that he has a different mod causing the same issue.  Hopefully this helps others going forward.  Thanks again for helping me work the problem.

sorry, just got on.

I will have to look up the vanilla armor bench and see what's affecting it.  

John

On 5/14/2022 at 9:41 AM, spicydoritos said:

Reveal hidden contents

Question for you:  What command did you put into Better Console to show all those effects and perks?