DD Armorbench Unlocker

View File

Armor benches throughout the Commonwealth now include an automated lockpicking function that can remove restraints from Devious Devices and handcuffs from Real Handcuffs.

Devious Devices Armorbench Unlocker

Why would I want this?

I find myself cheating out of DD restraints a lot. There, I said it. After many many (many) hours spent struggling free of yokes or hopping back to Goodneighbor to buy a new key, I find I often just add a key to my inventory via console and go on my way. Boring? Yes, but better than spending a long, grueling hour sneaking across the map, only to have my new keys stolen again in short order. I want the sudden, non-consensual application of DD to have a notable effect on my gameplay... but my upper threshold for that effect is lower than it used to be.

Enter DDBU, a compromise with myself. The Commonwealth sports a large number of pre-built armor benches in towns, dungeons, and abandoned buildings. With the right perks and a working settlement, you can scatter your own armor benches throughout the map as well. Finding your way to the nearest armor bench is a much more balanced proposition than the alternative, especially if you've been paying attention to your surroundings. Those random armor benches inside buildings and dungeons are no longer useless; they're a safety point to free yourself from bad situations. As an added feature, I find it gives me a new reason to build up settlement locations that I might otherwise ignore.

Isn't there another mod with a similar effect?

Sort of but not entirely. Real Handcuffs lets you use an owned workshop to cut open handcuffs (which, let's be honest, is where I got the idea in the first place). A couple other mods like Sexual Harassment and Boston Devious Helper use NPCs to unlock your devious devices. Plus of course Sex Attributes lets you spend an internal stat (willpower) to open DD restraints.

Features and Other Gritty Details

You can unlock your restraints at both owned and unowned armor benches. Owned benches are those appearing in settlements you control. Unowned benches are those in towns, dungeons, or the open world.

Owned benches are free to use and have no restrictions. Unowned benches cost caps for every device you unlock. If you find yourself short of caps, you can try giving the machine a little “percussive maintenance”. With luck, you might bypass the collection routine and unlock your restraints for free! Or you might trigger the anti-tampering measures. Choose wisely!

Both types of armor bench can unlock all Devious Devices as well as handcuffs from Real Handcuffs. However, shock collars from Real Handcuffs use an electronic locking mechanism that cannot be picked via mechanical means; thus, shock collars cannot be unlocked at armor benches.

DDBU includes the following MCM settings:

Spoiler

Mod On/Off: Master switch that will disable armor bench unlocking entirely.

Bench Ownership Fee Behavior: Affects the relationship between bench ownership and fees. The options are Original (i.e. standard behavior, where owned benches are free but unowned benches

Unlocking Fee Structure: Pricing structure for unlocking items at unowned bench. Options include Flat Fee (fixed amount of caps per item), Scaled To Level (amount of caps multiplied by player level), and Percentage Rate (portion of player's total caps or minimum fee, whichever is greater).

Fees at Unowned Bench: Price (in caps) for unlocking each device at an unowned armor bench. This is a fixed amount for Flat Fee, caps per level for Scaled To Level, and minimum fee for Percentage Rate.

Percent of Total Caps: Portion of player's caps that will be charged per item when Percentage Rate fee structure is chosen.

Bypass Success Mult.: The percent chance of bypassing unlock fees at an unowned bench is calculated from player strength multiplied by this MCM value.

Anti-Tampering Chance: When the player is trying to bypass the unlocking fee at an unowned bench, this value is the percent chance of triggering anti-tampering measures.

Percent HP Anti-Tampering Damage: Percentage of player's max health dealt by anti-tampering measures.

Lethal Anti-Tampering: Allow or prevent anti-tampering damage from killing the player.

Arousal Penalty: Anti-tampering measures will cause an increase in arousal stat. Requires Sex Attributes mod.

Submissiveness Penalty: Anti-tampering measures will cause a decrease in dom/sub stat. Requires Sex Attributes mod.

Photo Chance: Percent chance that anti-tampering measures will capture a photo of the “vandal”, and then transmit that photo (of you, in bondage) to the “local constabulary”. Where will the photo actually end up?? Requires Sexual Harassment mod.

Hard Requirements

-Vanilla Fallout 4 (no DLCs needed)

-Devious Devices (hard requirement)

-MCM, for mod settings and overall function.

Optional Requirements

-Real Handcuffs. If installed, handcuffs can be removed in the same manner as DD wrist cuffs.

-Sex Attributes. If installed, certain stat penalties can occur after percussive maintenance failure.

-Sexual Harassment. If installed, “nude” photos of you might end up in circulation after percussive maintenance failure.

Known Issues

-Ownership of an armor bench requires a linked, player-controlled workshop. Many “player housing” additions lack a workshop, which means pre-existing armor benches in these areas will probably be treated as unowned. In these cases, I suggest temporarily turning the unlock fees to zero.

My Thanks To

-Kimy for making Devious Devices, and Kharos for making Real Handcuffs: the two gold standards of FO4 playtime toys.

-Nexus CK/Modder forums, whose search functions answered basically all of my latest questions without having to actually post any new threads.

-Special thanks to the AAF Help discord for sorting me out back when I was a wide-eyed newbie, to whom the secrets of mod-making were akin to sorcery.

-Honorable mention to Saya_Scarlett for the often thankless work of maintaining the AAF Fucking Manual. Even today I reference it when ramping up a new playthrough.

Permissions

Feel free to re-post, re-host, patch, translate, and/or incorporate into your own mods as long as the result is freely available and not paywalled. Just give credit back to me and the original LL post. No support offered for sites outside of LL

4 hours ago, spicydoritos said:

I find myself cheating out of DD restraints a lot. There, I said it. After many many (many) hours spent struggling free of yokes or hopping back to Goodneighbor to buy a new key, I find I often just add a key to my inventory via console and go on my way. Boring? Yes, but better than spending a long, grueling hour sneaking across the map, only to have my new keys stolen again in short order. I want the sudden, non-consensual application of DD to have a notable effect on my gameplay... but my upper threshold for that effect is lower than it used to be.

My thoughts exactly. I want mods like this to have an impact on the gameplay without being completely intrusive, you've summed everything up.

If I ever play FO4 again I'll be sure to check this out!

Thank you. My sentiments as well. Cursed Wasteland needs some TLC and while I like playing with the mod I find it often breaking the game. 

7 hours ago, spicydoritos said:

Very minor update to fix an oversight born of aggressive copy/paste actions in my scripting.

v. 1.02

-Fixed a minor script error that would not properly check for RH collar keyword at unowned bench when wearing other items.

Not sure if its just me but after I updated the mod (it was perfectly fine before) I walked into sanctuary and the armor bench next to the house with the workshop was just a grey stretchy amalgamation that covered all of sanctuary. I actually couldn't find my way around to see what was stretching but luckily the only change I'd made since the last time I played was updating this mod so it was easy to figure out it was the problem.

18 minutes ago, MasterWolf2169 said:

Not sure if its just me but after I updated the mod (it was perfectly fine before) I walked into sanctuary and the armor bench next to the house with the workshop was just a grey stretchy amalgamation that covered all of sanctuary. I actually couldn't find my way around to see what was stretching but luckily the only change I'd made since the last time I played was updating this mod so it was easy to figure out it was the problem.

That's... bizarre, but it sounds like a mesh issue or a bad cell load, neither of which is altered by this mod.  Hell, DDBU doesn't even technically alter armor benches at all; it adds a hidden player perk that pops up a new interaction button at the bench when you're wearing DD or RH restraints. 

As far as functionality, 1.00 to 1.02 only changed "PlayerRef.WornHasKeyword(RH_RestraintTypeHandcuffs)" to "PlayerRef.WornHasKeyword(RH_RestraintTypeCollar)" in one of the script lines.  Scripts only run when you interact with the armor bench.  So there shouldn't be any update issues unless you were somehow in the middle of using the armor bench at the time.

I ported back to Sanctuary in my current save and didn't notice anything unusual.  However if this happened to anybody else, please chime in.

Downloaded and installed today (Version 1.02) and it already saved my character from having to nude-walk with glove-locked hands all the way from Sanctuary to Good-Neighbour, just to get some keys (and to first earn the 500 caps), after an encounter with some nasty Raider-Gang 10 minutes after walking out of Vault 111 :D

And the mod did exactly what I hoped it would do.
Armor-Bench in Sanctuary unlocked the gloves (and also looked as it always does).
So, no issues here.
Thanks for that very-much-quality-of-life-mod!
?

10 hours ago, IBAGadget said:

quick question. Just started to install this mod with NMM, and got a pop up notification (screenshot attached)

Do I need to overwrite, or can it be safely skipped?

I will hold off on installing until I get the verdict

Thank you.791983560_Screenshot(25).thumb.png.da5f2c3c931f50ffaf5a0bdf1b9472fa.png

A meta.ini file is used by MO2 to display version information.  It can be safely deleted or overwritten in NMM.

On an editorial note, I strongly advise switching to MO2 or Vortex.  NMM is fine if you're only using a handful of mods.  However, as load complexity increases, NMM's installation method hinders your ability to diagnose and resolve problems.  Even if you know exactly what you're doing, mod-wise, it's needless extra work for yourself.

thank you for the info. I'll re-consider MO2. I do have it on my computer, and did try it briefly, but even with the tutorials I was a bit lost in figuring out how to use it and manage altering load order. It's been almost 30 years since I last played a PC game with mods, so I'm a little behind the curve on how things work nowadays (Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear was the last PC game I played with mods)

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, bstylez said:

can you make it available to weapon bench as well? Thanks!

I would prefer to keep the unlock effect confined to armor benches.  However, it should be an easy change to make yourself in xEdit.

Simply add a new condition to both of the DDBU_UnlockPerk effect entries as shown in the first image below.  Then move the new condition up to the Condition #2 spot, as shown in the second image.  That should cover the vanilla weapon benches since they both use the same keyword.  ?

Spoiler

weaponbench_xEdit.thumb.jpg.f288e91f6a975897d5ee997c2979eabe.jpg

weaponbench_xEdit2.jpg.9d1b6402fba773a3e0f36626392f8bc4.jpg

On 8/12/2021 at 12:45 PM, spicydoritos said:

I would prefer to keep the unlock effect confined to armor benches.  However, it should be an easy change to make yourself in xEdit.

Simply add a new condition to both of the DDBU_UnlockPerk effect entries as shown in the first image below.  Then move the new condition up to the Condition #2 spot, as shown in the second image.  That should cover the vanilla weapon benches since they both use the same keyword.  ?

Hide contents

weaponbench_xEdit.thumb.jpg.f288e91f6a975897d5ee997c2979eabe.jpg

weaponbench_xEdit2.jpg.9d1b6402fba773a3e0f36626392f8bc4.jpg

cool that really helped, but don't i need the keyword for "workbenchweapon" as well? thanks

Edited by bstylez