[mod] CK3 Human Phenotype Project

Thank you for feedback. 

The next time, I'll fix the height problem. 

As for the faces being cartoonish: sadly, just because I was the first - or quite possibly the only - person to come up with this idea, doesn't necessarily mean I am the most qualified person to implement it - especially when working alone. 

I desperately need some collaborators, especially ones with better eyes for it than me. Let's just say that adding 80~ new phenotypes to the game while working solo is not exactly going to lead to the best results in terms of quality.

Does this change average heights of ethnicities? I don't think present differences mean anything 1000 years ago, in world war 2 era average height of a Russian soldier was 5 6'....South Koreans women have gotten 8 inches taller in last 100 years. It change drastically with the life style and food..

14 minutes ago, Recardoski said:

Does this change average heights of ethnicities? I don't think present differences mean anything 1000 years ago, in world war 2 era average height of a Russian soldier was 5 6'....South Koreans women have gotten 8 inches taller in last 100 years. It change drastically with the life style and food..

In that case, here is a heightless version of the mod:

CK3-Human-Phenotype-heightless.zip

If everyone else prefers this over the current version, I will make it part of the mainline product.

29 minutes ago, Leaf the Elf said:

Thank you for feedback. 

The next time, I'll fix the height problem. 

As for the faces being cartoonish: sadly, just because I was the first - or quite possibly the only - person to come up with this idea, doesn't necessarily mean I am the most qualified person to implement it - especially when working alone. 

I desperately need some collaborators, especially ones with better eyes for it than me. Let's just say that adding 80~ new phenotypes to the game while working solo is not exactly going to lead to the best results in terms of quality.

Just dropping by to give you some moral support. I absolutely love your mod and I haven't run into any weird height problems with the characters yet. Sure, some proportions in the faces sometimes look a bit strange but overall this mod greatly enhances the diversity of characters and if there are some cartoonish characters showing up... So what? Just walk through any city and look at people. The cartoonish are among us! 

As much as I would like to help you I simply haven't got the time nor the skills to assist you with this great project. All I can say is take your time and don't overreact to each comment you read. I wouldn't go back to the vanilla faces as they are much too "streamlined" for my tastes. I'd rather have the occasional giant/dwarf/cartoon character in my game than those stereotypes.

Thank you once again for your great work. I hope you keep it up! :)

3 minutes ago, hoover2701 said:

Just dropping by to give you some moral support. I absolutely love your mod and I haven't run into any weird height problems with the characters yet. Sure, some proportions in the faces sometimes look a bit strange but overall this mod greatly enhances the diversity of characters and if there are some cartoonish characters showing up... So what? Just walk through any city and look at people. The cartoonish are among us! 

As much as I would like to help you I simply haven't got the time nor the skills to assist you with this great project. All I can say is take your time and don't overreact to each comment you read. I wouldn't go back to the vanilla faces as they are much too "streamlined" for my tastes. I'd rather have the occasional giant/dwarf/cartoon character in my game than those stereotypes.

Thank you once again for your great work. I hope you keep it up! :)

Thank you very much :)

I'll try my best to keep working on this mod, though as long as I work solo, it's going to be a constant hit-or-miss, taking one step forward and two steps backwards at every update :P

Alright, everyone. Some people out here complained that the faces are too cartoonish, some people remarked that some of the features are indeed exaggerated, and I always admitted that there is still much to be refined. In fact, to tell you the truth, I kinda just slapped together many of the templates (or prototype characters) - yet, despite this, I received plenty of positive feedback.

Nevertheless, it is time for me to do that actual refining and re-make many - if not all - of the templates, which is going to take long as hell if I am to work solo, so...

4jrbek.jpeg.ecdd4eb609975d5b1127bfac61d69917.jpeg

How does one do that though? Well, take a phenotype from humanphenotypes.net - say, Indo-Brachid - and recreate the images you see on the page to the best of your abilities in the CK3 Portrait editor (also respecting the description given on the page), then send me the persistent DNA. Not regular DNA, but persistent DNA - I know the rest of what I have to do. Here be the list of phenotypes needing improvement.

But, since most of are not anthro-nerds, I will have to explain one term for you, one term that you'll see a lot on the website: Cephalic indices. Trust me, it's relevant to the mod.

cephals-0.thumb.jpg.1fa45a77b51acc10380a83a68fefc9db.jpg

A cephalic index is basically your head width divided by your head height, then multiplied by 100 for convenience. If it's below 75.9, you're dolichocephalic (long-headed), if it's between 76 and 81 you're mesocephalic (medium-headed), and if it's above 81, you're brachycephalic (short-headed).

How is this important? Well, you see, cephalic indices are kinda tied to phenotypes. E.g. Nordids, Mediterraneanids, Orientalids and Indids are firmly dolichocephalic, while Turanids, Indo-Brachids, East-Europids, Armenoids and Dinarids are very much brachycephalic So this has to be kept in mind.

Sadly, the game gives every character an occipital bun, while in real-life, only dolichocephalic people (and mesocephalic, if your neck is thin) have occipital buns - brachycephalic people (and mesocephalic, if your neck is thick enough) have flat occiputs.

Hey Leaf, 

Thinking I'll be able to take a crack at helping out on a few of these phenotypes starting in the middle of next week. 

I have a question about how these ethnicities and also the Congenital Trait morphs are applied. Am I correct in assuming that you're using the DNA from these blended/average faces on the website as a morph that you're applying to all characters of a given ethnicity? How are the negative congenital modifier (ugly etc.) applied as morphs in vanilla and have you changed them? I'm most interested in how the Beauty traits are applied. From going around and adding it to characters it seems it has the greatest effect on characters who are... rather misshapen... to begin with. Are the Beauty morphs attempting to revert them to a sort of ideal/mean, in addition to the vanilla complexion changes? 

2 hours ago, oregano1 said:

Hey Leaf, 

Thinking I'll be able to take a crack at helping out on a few of these phenotypes starting in the middle of next week. 

I have a question about how these ethnicities and also the Congenital Trait morphs are applied. Am I correct in assuming that you're using the DNA from these blended/average faces on the website as a morph that you're applying to all characters of a given ethnicity? How are the negative congenital modifier (ugly etc.) applied as morphs in vanilla and have you changed them? I'm most interested in how the Beauty traits are applied. From going around and adding it to characters it seems it has the greatest effect on characters who are... rather misshapen... to begin with. Are the Beauty morphs attempting to revert them to a sort of ideal/mean, in addition to the vanilla complexion changes? 

Ello Oregano.

To answer your questions:

1. The ethnicities are automatically generated by a script I wrote, which parses the persistent DNA of the template characters, and transforms them into ethnicities, taking the discrete values in the templates and turning them into ranges, e.g. turning 0.933 into a range of 0.80-1.00.

2. Yes, what I did was recreate the blended/average faces on the website to create the templates, exporting their persistent DNA.

3. In vanilla, negative congenital modifiers like ugly only affect the character's complexion. I did not change that at all.

4. To be fair, even to me, the beauty traits are a bit of a mystery. They do change the complexion, just like the ugly trait does, but they also might do something more:

For example, a typical vanilla ethnicity looks like this:

gene_eye_distance = {
	    1 = { name = eye_distance_neg    range = { 0.25 0.35 }    }
	    5 = { name = eye_distance_neg    range = { 0.35 0.45 }    }
	    40 = { name = eye_distance_neg    range = { 0.45 0.5 }    }
	    40 = { name = eye_distance_pos    range = { 0.5 0.55 }    }
	    5 = { name = eye_distance_pos    range = { 0.55 0.65 }    }
	    1 = { name = eye_distance_pos    range = { 0.65 0.75 }    }

#Beauty Section
	    0 = { name = eye_distance_neg    range = { @beauty1min @beauty1max }    traits = { beauty_1 }    }
	    0 = { name = eye_distance_neg    range = { @beauty2min @beauty2max }    traits = { beauty_2 }    }
	    0 = { name = eye_distance_neg    range = { @beauty3min @beauty3max }    traits = { beauty_3 }    }
	}

I'm not exactly certain if it even works at all to begin with, but I nevertheless replicated it in my own mod:, e.g.

gene_bs_mouth_lower_lip_full  = {
			10 = { name = mouth_lower_lip_full_pos range = { 0.2000 0.4000 } }
			0 = { name = mouth_lower_lip_full_pos range = { 0.2667 0.3167 }  traits = { beauty_1 } }
			0 = { name = mouth_lower_lip_full_pos range = { 0.2750 0.3000 }  traits = { beauty_2 } }
			0 = { name = mouth_lower_lip_full_pos range = { 0.2778 0.2944 }  traits = { beauty_3 } }
	}

But again, I'm skeptical if it even works at all.

5. Yes, beauty traits are attempting to revert them to the ideal, in addition to the vanilla complexion changes. But I am still not exactly certain, if that truly happens.

1 + 2. Gotcha, that makes sense, persistent DNA based on ideals from the website, with ranges appended for actual character generation. 

3. In vanilla it's complexion only, but in the mod there's a morph happening, right? I ask because if I use the Pika cheat menu to add the trait, it instantly adds one level of... goblin-ification to the character, and if I remove the ugly trait (or a beauty trait) the complexion reverts but the morph does not. Then, if I add (and remove, and add again and so on) I can progressively mutate them hideously. Adding a beauty trait at that point will undo everything, as though I'm back to their original appearance plus a beauty mod (+complexion, +reversion to a mean). That's the intended behavior correct? 

4. Assuming @beautymin1 values are represented in some other file, or did you remove the actualy values for that ethnicity for an example? Why aren't you sure that code is working? I don't recall seeing changes other than complexion in vanilla, but with the mod I've certainly seen characters facial structures change with Beauty traits. 

37 minutes ago, oregano1 said:

1 + 2. Gotcha, that makes sense, persistent DNA based on ideals from the website, with ranges appended for actual character generation. 

3. In vanilla it's complexion only, but in the mod there's a morph happening, right? I ask because if I use the Pika cheat menu to add the trait, it instantly adds one level of... goblin-ification to the character, and if I remove the ugly trait (or a beauty trait) the complexion reverts but the morph does not. Then, if I add (and remove, and add again and so on) I can progressively mutate them hideously. Adding a beauty trait at that point will undo everything, as though I'm back to their original appearance plus a beauty mod (+complexion, +reversion to a mean). That's the intended behavior correct? 

4. Assuming @beautymin1 values are represented in some other file, or did you remove the actualy values for that ethnicity for an example? Why aren't you sure that code is working? I don't recall seeing changes other than complexion in vanilla, but with the mod I've certainly seen characters facial structures change with Beauty traits. 

3. In vanilla, it's not just complexion, as I have shown you. In vanilla, it does influence morphs too, and I reintroduced that in my mod. Tho the goblin-ification is not intended, at least not with the beauty trait. The intended behaviour is that beautiful characters should look more like the ideal model, with a more limited range.

4. In my mod, beautymin1 and the likes are replaced by simply sticking closer to the ideal, with a narrower range.

As for me not being sure that the code is working - because from what I've seen, even in my mod, beauty only seems to influence the complexion, and I never saw it making the characters actually beautiful.

Still using your mod and loving it. I've got a problem though: The Community Flavour Pack has been updated and several culture files have been added in the mod. I had a look at your compatibility patch and found out that you simply replaced the ethnicities in the CFP-culture files with those of your culture files. I then changed the new culture files from CFP accordingly and put them in the compatibility patch but now e.g. the turkish group appears naked... And what's even stranger: The norse group is now naked as well although I haven't touched that file and it was working as intended before. Do you have any idea?

19 minutes ago, hoover2701 said:

Still using your mod and loving it. I've got a problem though: The Community Flavour Pack has been updated and several culture files have been added in the mod. I had a look at your compatibility patch and found out that you simply replaced the ethnicities in the CFP-culture files with those of your culture files. I then changed the new culture files from CFP accordingly and put them in the compatibility patch but now e.g. the turkish group appears naked... And what's even stranger: The norse group is now naked as well although I haven't touched that file and it was working as intended before. Do you have any idea?

I have no idea why would they become naked. Could it be that you did not enable the Community Flavour Pack? You have to enable it alongside my mod and the compatibility patch.

7 minutes ago, Leaf the Elf said:

I have no idea why would they become naked. Could it be that you did not enable the Community Flavour Pack? You have to enable it alongside my mod and the compatibility patch.

Strange... The Steam workshop seems to somehow break the CFP-mod after I updated it via Steam. I removed the mod manually and unsubscribed. Then I downloaded the CFP-mod from the Paradox Mods site and installed it. Now it's working (together with the Phenotype mod and the compatibility patch). Thanks for your input. It made me have a look if CFP is running at all (which it wasn't even though Steam workshop said it is). Glad everything is working again. In case you want to use my modified culture files in order to update the compatibility patch I'll put the ZIP-file with the changed culture files here. Feel free to use them.

By the way: When changing the files I found a culture named "Vlach" in the South Slavic culture file of CFP. In your file that culture was missing. Is this intended? 

cultures.zip

6 minutes ago, hoover2701 said:

By the way: When changing the files I found a culture named "Vlach" in the South Slavic culture file of CFP. In your file that culture was missing. Is this intended? 

cultures.zip 37.16 kB · 0 downloads

It is 100% intended. Vlach should be a Latin culture, not a South Slavic culture. Romanian is a Romance language, not a Slavic one. I refuse to accept it being part of the South Slavic culture, so whenever I mod a Paradox game, I put it into another cultural group. I get that they do it for "game ballance reasons", but I still cringe whenever I see Vlach being put into the South Slavic group, so I always have a strong urge to fix that as fast as possible.

Anyway, tomorrow, I will update my compatibility patch for the newest version of the Community Flavor Pack.

6 minutes ago, Leaf the Elf said:

It is 100% intended. Vlach should be a Latin culture, not a South Slavic culture. Romanian is a Romance language, not a Slavic one. I refuse to accept it being part of the South Slavic culture, so whenever I mod a Paradox game, I put it into another cultural group. I get that they do it for "game ballance reasons", but I still cringe whenever I see Vlach being put into the South Slavic group, so I always have a strong urge to fix that as fast as possible.

I see. Alright man, you're the expert! ;)

6 minutes ago, Leaf the Elf said:

Anyway, tomorrow, I will update my compatibility patch for the newest version of the Community Flavor Pack.

That's great to hear! I'll use your update then. Thanks again for your help.

2 hours ago, Leaf the Elf said:

3. In vanilla, it's not just complexion, as I have shown you. In vanilla, it does influence morphs too, and I reintroduced that in my mod. Tho the goblin-ification is not intended, at least not with the beauty trait. The intended behaviour is that beautiful characters should look more like the ideal model, with a more limited range.

4. In my mod, beautymin1 and the likes are replaced by simply sticking closer to the ideal, with a narrower range.

As for me not being sure that the code is working - because from what I've seen, even in my mod, beauty only seems to influence the complexion, and I never saw it making the characters actually beautiful.

3. I see, I don't think I ever noticed the morph or I wasn't looking for it in vanilla. The goblinification is only with ugly traits, which makes sense as they're deviating from a mean rather than reverting to it. I assume if I added and removed Beautiful 1000 times I could reproduce the DNA original used to define the ethnicity? 

4. Glad you saw that it's working - it's super impressive overall and probably my favorite mod right now because I think it takes the most of advantage of a genuinely new CK3 feature (3d models) compared to CK2. 

10 hours ago, hoover2701 said:

I see. Alright man, you're the expert! ;)

That's great to hear! I'll use your update then. Thanks again for your help.

And, newest update to the compatibility patches is here:

ck3-human-phenotype-project-compatibility-patches.zip

10 hours ago, PeterHell said:

I do notice that character with beauty traits are generally more pleasant to look at.

That's good. That's the way it is intended indeed.

9 hours ago, oregano1 said:

3. I see, I don't think I ever noticed the morph or I wasn't looking for it in vanilla. The goblinification is only with ugly traits, which makes sense as they're deviating from a mean rather than reverting to it. I assume if I added and removed Beautiful 1000 times I could reproduce the DNA original used to define the ethnicity? 

4. Glad you saw that it's working - it's super impressive overall and probably my favorite mod right now because I think it takes the most of advantage of a genuinely new CK3 feature (3d models) compared to CK2. 

3. Yes, or at the very least, you'd get something that's pretty close to the original template.

4. Thank you ^^ I personally consider the 3D models to be a double-edged sword. While it does allow mods like this to exist, it also makes the creation of fantasy mods slightly harder. No more dragon characters. Elves are doable, but Orcs and Goblins are more iffy.