[mod] CK3 Human Phenotype Project

CK3 Human Phenotype Project

titleBig.png.df0c9196cd58a0e6f9f5b8e95989b614.png

Github access | Discord group | Compatibility patches

The CK3 Human Phenotype Project is a mod aimed at making the appearences of characters more realistic and diverse by replicating various phenotypes found on the website humanphenotypes.net and assigning them to in-game cultures. This mod also ensures that hairstyles and beards are set by culture rather than ethnicity. A whopping 77 ethnicities have been added into the game, making character more varied and vierse in appearences, with people looking like their supposed geographic origins.

If you love physical anthrophology, or just want characters to have more regionally varied looks, this is the mod for you!

FAQ:

Is this mod save-game compatible?

Absolutely not. This mod edits ethnicities, which the game uses to randomly generate the looks/DNA of characters (historical and new alike). Once the character was generated - or has scripted appearance - this mod will not modify them. For this mod to truly have effect, you need to start a new game, otherwise it will only affect newly generated characters.

Will you put this mod to Steam Workshop? Why not?

For legal reasons, I cannot do that. What legal reasons? Well, it's against the rules to disclose that, but here's a hint: I cannot upload any mods to the Steam Workshop at all. The less we talk about it, the better.

Nevertheless, if you wish to upload this mod to the Steam Workshop in my name, you have my full blessings to do so. No, really, you'd be doing me a big favour.

Can I use your mod as part of my mod?

Yes. You don't even need to ask. Just do it. Sure, crediting would be nice, but otherwise, feel free to.

Many of the characters within a region look samey / Many characters look like caricatures / Some traits seem exaggerated

Yes. This mod is still a work in progress, and there is much to be refined. Stay tuned for more updates ;)  Or better yet - contribute to the progress ;)

Just now, sss1sss11 said:

The face of the first Byzantine emperor is a real Neanderthal)) Ahaha, you made my evening) But Carolingian girls are really good. Seriously, the mod is good. But I think most will not like it. Doll-beautiful faces will be in demand more.

As for the doll-like faces part... That is part of what I mean by further refinement - currently, the mod lacks the "beauty" options of vanilla game (where the Beautiful traits will make the characters look cuter, not just in complexion).

Namely, tihs.

gene_eye_angle = {
        1 = { name = eye_angle_neg    range = { 0.3 0.35 }    }
        5 = { name = eye_angle_neg    range = { 0.35 0.45 }    }
        40 = { name = eye_angle_neg    range = { 0.45 0.5  }    }
        40 = { name = eye_angle_pos    range = { 0.5 0.55  }    }
        5 = { name = eye_angle_pos    range = { 0.55 0.65 }    }
        1 = { name = eye_angle_pos    range = { 0.65 0.7 }    }

#Beauty Section
        0 = { name = eye_angle_neg    range = { @beauty1min @beauty1max }    traits = { beauty_1 }    }
        0 = { name = eye_angle_neg    range = { @beauty2min @beauty2max }    traits = { beauty_2 }    }
        0 = { name = eye_angle_neg    range = { @beauty3min @beauty3max }    traits = { beauty_3 }    }
    }

Part of the "further refinement" I mentioned would be reintroducing that :P

(aside from addressing the complaints of some of my antho-nerd friends, like North Pontids having blond-hair, when they shouldn't)

Just now, Leaf the Elf said:

As for the doll-like faces part... That is part of what I mean by further refinement - currently, the mod lacks the "beauty" options of vanilla game (where the Beautiful traits will make the characters look cuter, not just in complexion).

Namely, tihs.

gene_eye_angle = {
        1 = { name = eye_angle_neg    range = { 0.3 0.35 }    }
        5 = { name = eye_angle_neg    range = { 0.35 0.45 }    }
        40 = { name = eye_angle_neg    range = { 0.45 0.5  }    }
        40 = { name = eye_angle_pos    range = { 0.5 0.55  }    }
        5 = { name = eye_angle_pos    range = { 0.55 0.65 }    }
        1 = { name = eye_angle_pos    range = { 0.65 0.7 }    }

#Beauty Section
        0 = { name = eye_angle_neg    range = { @beauty1min @beauty1max }    traits = { beauty_1 }    }
        0 = { name = eye_angle_neg    range = { @beauty2min @beauty2max }    traits = { beauty_2 }    }
        0 = { name = eye_angle_neg    range = { @beauty3min @beauty3max }    traits = { beauty_3 }    }
    }

Part of the "further refinement" I mentioned would be reintroducing that :P

(aside from addressing the complaints of some of my antho-nerd friends, like North Pontids having blond-hair, when they shouldn't)

The beauty trait works. I added it to the face of the Carolingian princess - it changed.

Just now, Leaf the Elf said:

At least the trait Beautiful now has more meaning, and is more special now. :P

Exactly. In fact, the mod is really good. The faces have become much more individual. For my taste, this justifies the fact that there are almost no beautiful ones left.  I think in a few generations the freaks will be erased, as the faces converge to the average phenotype. But if you want a lot of followers, you'll be forced to ruin real faces.

5 hours ago, luffyboy said:

Amazing work leaf.

the faces looks so much more natural and immersive.

imo that makes them more attractive since they are a lot more believable.

can I clarify whether you are working with the impact of beauty trait on or off?

Thank you ^^ Afaik beauty only affects complexion as of now, but I do plan on reintroducing beauty affecting other things. 

This is brillant! I'm very excited where this is heading. Best mod I've seen for a while. Please keep it up! Finally there's REAL diversity across the map. I will now test the different face textures available on Steam to have a look which works best with your mod. Thanks a lot for this! 

1 hour ago, hoover2701 said:

This is brillant! I'm very excited where this is heading. Best mod I've seen for a while. Please keep it up! Finally there's REAL diversity across the map. I will now test the different face textures available on Steam to have a look which works best with your mod. Thanks a lot for this! 

Thank you :) Be sure to link the face mod that goes the best with this mod, so everyone else can also have a good combination :) And be sure to post screenshots as well :)

EDIT: Since we're on the topic of realism and mods that go well with this mod, I would recommend Improved Genetics.

1 hour ago, Leaf the Elf said:

Thank you :) Be sure to link the face mod that goes the best with this mod, so everyone else can also have a good combination :) And be sure to post screenshots as well :)

EDIT: Since we're on the topic of realism and mods that go well with this mod, I would recommend Improved Genetics.

It really depends on what you prefer. If you're going for beauty there are several face texture mods that "smooth" the face textures. It looks nice but I suspect that medieval times weren't that good a prerequisite for silky skin... :) Here are some of those "beautification" mods:

Beautiful Females

Nobles Improved

Fair Ladies

Fair Lords

The one I prefer is "Better Face Textures" as it somehow manages to make faces more "gritty"... I can't think of a better word for it. It doesn't change the male face textures so I mostly use "Nobles Improved", "Brighter Portraits II", "Better Face Textures" and "Beauty Traits Lipstick Reducer" on top of each other i.e. "Nobles Improved" first in the load order. 

Brighter Portraits II

Better Face Textures

Beauty Traits Lipstick Reducer

Here's a comparison screenshot with your mod as the base (top of load order). On the left you can see the setup with "Better Face Textures" and on the right with "Fair Ladies" and "Fair Lords". It's hard to spot but I think you can make out the difference - especially on the female character.

CT8Hwar.jpg

You mentioned "Improved Genetics". I use that one as well. How does it work together with your mod? And while I'm at it: Is your mod compatible with the "Community Flavor Pack" and the "Clothing Tweaks"? I suppose yes but maybe you can clarify.

Community Flavor Pack

Clothing Tweaks

Anyway, great stuff you're working on! It feels really fresh to have some "new" faces and more diverse characters. I'll follow this with great interest. I have to admit that I would very much appreciate it if you managed to integrate the beauty traits somehow as - well - there's a german author (Hermann Hesse) who puts it this way: "The meaning of life lies in contemplating the beautiful." He's right about that one! ;)

Keep up the great work!

36 minutes ago, hoover2701 said:

You mentioned "Improved Genetics". I use that one as well. How does it work together with your mod? And while I'm at it: Is your mod compatible with the "Community Flavor Pack" and the "Clothing Tweaks"? I suppose yes but maybe you can clarify.

Community Flavor Pack

Clothing Tweaks

Anyway, great stuff you're working on! It feels really fresh to have some "new" faces and more diverse characters. I'll follow this with great interest. I have to admit that I would very much appreciate it if you managed to integrate the beauty traits somehow as - well - there's a german author (Hermann Hesse) who puts it this way: "The meaning of life lies in contemplating the beautiful." He's right about that one! ;)

Keep up the great work!

Thank you ^^

As for Improved Genetics - since my mod only changes ethnicities (and a bit with hairs and beards), it is perfectly compatible with Improved Genetics. The two don't have any special synergies going on, but I think they nicely work together, since both increase realism.

As for CFP - sadly, my mod overwrites the vanilla culture files, so it overwrites Community Flavor Pack's changes made to the Norse and Frankish cultures. Otherwise, I think they're compatible, as long as you load my mod after CFP. Either way, I could quickly cook up a compatibility patch, if necessary.

As for Clothing Tweaks - 99% compatible. Both mods overwrite the vanilla beard file, but CT only adds one tiny modification to it, while mine adds more. I could integrate that change into my mod to make it 100% compatible.

As for the beauty traits - I will begin working on it tonight ^^

29 minutes ago, Leaf the Elf said:

As for CFP - sadly, my mod overwrites the vanilla culture files, so it overwrites Community Flavor Pack's changes made to the Norse and Frankish cultures. Otherwise, I think they're compatible, as long as you load my mod after CFP. Either way, I could quickly cook up a compatibility patch, if necessary.

As for Clothing Tweaks - 99% compatible. Both mods overwrite the vanilla beard file, but CT only adds one tiny modification to it, while mine adds more. I could integrate that change into my mod to make it 100% compatible.

As for the beauty traits - I will begin working on it tonight ^^

I'd love it if you 'cooked up' a compatibility patch for CFP as that is one of the most immersive and high quality mods available. As long as there is no compatibility patch, I'll put your mod after CFP in the load order as you described.

Looking forward to your implementation of the beauty traits! :)

16 minutes ago, hoover2701 said:

I'd love it if you 'cooked up' a compatibility patch for CFP as that is one of the most immersive and high quality mods available. As long as there is no compatibility patch, I'll put your mod after CFP in the load order as you described.

Looking forward to your implementation of the beauty traits! :)

Here be the compatibility patch: CK3HPP-CTCFP.zip

Load after all the other mods ;) 

I will start with the beauty traits part tonight :)  If you want to make the process slightly quicker, you can create beautiful characters of the various phenotypes within the portrait editor, export the persistent DNA  and send them to make :)

40 minutes ago, Leaf the Elf said:

Here be the compatibility patch: CK3HPP-CTCFP.zip

Load after all the other mods ;) 

I will start with the beauty traits part tonight :)  If you want to make the process slightly quicker, you can create beautiful characters of the various phenotypes within the portrait editor, export the persistent DNA  and send them to make :)

Thanks for the patch! You're the best! ;)

As much as I'd like to help speeding up the process of integrating the beauty traits I won't be at home for the rest of the week as I will start a business trip today. Don't rush it. Your mod is great even in this early stage. I'll follow this closely. If you keep at it, this will become legendary. Have you thought of putting this mod on Steam? I believe many players would appreciate it.

Thanks again! I don't know where you're from but you should maybe get some sleep before tackling the beauty traits... ;)