Mathematics of Intelligence and Stupidity

I just want a little feedback on a theory, that is growing in my mind for a while now.

We all learned that 1 + 1 = 2

But for intelligence it seems to me that it is more like

1 intelligence + 1 Intelligence = 1.3 Intelligence

and

1 stupidity + 1 stupidity = 3.5 stupidity (In the beginnig it thought, it was something around 2.5, but my observation showed, that it must be more)

I wonder if someone else has made the same observation and could agree with me....

12 minutes ago, Pfiffy said:

... its not limited to the workplace.

While this is true it does seem that the more idiots you get into one space the higher the stupidity coefficient becomes. So sadly using your equation of 2 idiots = 3.5 stupidity and factoring in exponential growth 3 idiots would equal 7 stupidity with 4 idiots equaling 14 stupidity and so on.

19 minutes ago, wokking56 said:

While this is true it does seem that the more idiots you get into one space the higher the stupidity coefficient becomes. So sadly using your equation of 2 idiots = 3.5 stupidity and factoring in exponential growth 3 idiots would equal 7 stupidity with 4 idiots equaling 14 stupidity and so on.

Yes,  it is not simply an addition. But is it

1+1+1 = 7

or

1+1+1 = 5.25

for stupidity?

9 minutes ago, Pfiffy said:

Right, there is something like a swarm stupidity and it is much more powerful like swarm intelligence....

True. But as I see it, the issue is more centered upon self-control and open-mindedness than about intelligence per se

For example, about quantum mechanics Albert Einstein famously quipped that "God does not play dice." Well, he's a lot smarter than I am but I am prepared to be open-minded about the possibility that, as far as quantum mechanics is concerned, God does indeed play dice. I am not, I think, smarter than Albert Einstein as a result.

On the other extreme, if you get two people who are polar opposites in their political views (for example) they tend to "cancel each other out" in oh so many ways UNLESS one or the other or both lose self-control and resort to violence. As long as they are content to rant at one another the total level of stupidity in the room does not increase but rather remains the same.

But, if two people are stupidly on the same end of (again, for example) the political spectrum they will reinforce and reproduce the stupidity (that is lack of open-mindedness and self-control). This is the basis of mob action. Alone, no one would have turned violent. As a group they are incited to greater and greater levels of stupidity - and violence.

Oddly enought (if we are on the same page in the meaning of the term) in my experience I witnessed more (influential/authoritative) ignorance coupled with presumptousness than old plain stupididy.

But I agree on the swarm effect, and it is even proved by the "law of truly large numbers" and some results have catastrofic effect sometimes even on a global scale.

Cheers

23 minutes ago, spoonsinger said:

1 + 1 = 2?

0.1 base 10 converted to binary, multiplied by 10, (converted to binary), and then converted back to base ten and the result added to itself is not 2.  I suppose representation is everything and the smaller the representation the less accurate your answer. Small minds and all that.

In that case your conversion was inaccurate. Two values multiplied always lead to the same result, no matter the representation used. (as long as the definition of a multiplication stays the same, that is)

2 hours ago, Psalam said:

But, if two people are stupidly on the same end of (again, for example) the political spectrum they will reinforce and reproduce the stupidity (that is lack of open-mindedness and self-control).

I agree with that perspective. The problem being back before social media these crazies mostly shouted their lunacy into the void, only occasionally finding a cohort. But with today's easy social access loads of loonies can contact each other and amplify their stupidity to astronomical levels.

9 hours ago, Psalam said:

True. But as I see it, the issue is more centered upon self-control and open-mindedness than about intelligence per se

For example, about quantum mechanics Albert Einstein famously quipped that "God does not play dice." Well, he's a lot smarter than I am but I am prepared to be open-minded about the possibility that, as far as quantum mechanics is concerned, God does indeed play dice. I am not, I think, smarter than Albert Einstein as a result.

On the other extreme, if you get two people who are polar opposites in their political views (for example) they tend to "cancel each other out" in oh so many ways UNLESS one or the other or both lose self-control and resort to violence. As long as they are content to rant at one another the total level of stupidity in the room does not increase but rather remains the same.

But, if two people are stupidly on the same end of (again, for example) the political spectrum they will reinforce and reproduce the stupidity (that is lack of open-mindedness and self-control). This is the basis of mob action. Alone, no one would have turned violent. As a group they are incited to greater and greater levels of stupidity - and violence.

Einstein suddently agreed to Planck, which shows that he was smart enough to admit mistakes. He also admited, that he was wrong with his cosmic constant(?) While Hawking stated years later that this wasn't so wrong at all. 

From my expierience with politics and politicians the outcome of extreme positions is either violence or an even worse compromize.  

Emotion and reason do not mix.  Like oil and water.  Emotion is the oil that is heavier and displaces reason easily.  Through reason, two people with differing views can discuss an issue and perhaps come to a logical middle ground.  Or one will see where they are wrong and the other is correct.  Logic is only as good as the abundance of information.  When two or more people discuss an issue, more information may come available.  The entire universe exists through logical cooperation.  Thus, when dealing with world matters, be a Vulcan.  Save indulging in your emotions when at home.  Just don't beat the wife and kids.  I've heard that's bad. 

I used to frequent the local coffee shop and observe people.  On three different occasions I witnessed two people arguing over an issue.  In each instance, each person was saying the same thing.  They were just using different words to describe their views.  Their emotions kept them from realizing that.  They so stupidly defended what they were saying, they never even listened to what the other was saying.  Emotion can blind you and make you into a fool.  Any emotion.

So, today we see everybody running around all emotional about everything.  So, given this, even the most intelligent amongst us can become the biggest idiots.  So, the formula you are looking for is how easily and quickly emotional responses are incited.   Stupidity is highly contagious.  Why?  Because emotion begets emotion.  It feels empowering to be justifiably angry.  Why are you justified?  Because others support you.   Logic, reason, does not even enter the equation at this point.  It's mob rules.  There you have your mob stupidity. 

It used to better back in the days when men were not supposed to show their emotions.  Things made a bit more sense back in the fifties.  So I'm told.  I'm not that old.

I think the Vulcan's were an extreme model of humanity.  Their emotions caused them to nearly wipe themselves out.  They just overcompensated.  Emotions are a part of who we are.  But they should not be allowed to run our lives, or our world.  Emotions are an indulgence you should enjoy in the privacy of your own home.

Pride may not be considered an emotion, it's self glorification.  But it's another form of stupidity.