How Important is Exercise and Physical Activity?

Taking a course on this subject this semester and I already kind of understood this since I set aside time to exercise 3-4 times a week for about an hour. It is something that I don't want to do most of the time, but I usually feel better and more relaxed after. This is the opening lecture for the course and I thought he raises some interesting points.

After my leg injury that shattered my right kneecap I lost a lot of luxury for exercise. Even after 2 surgeries and 19 months of physical therapy my endurance is shot and need a brace to walk. I still try from time to time but unfortunately I am very limited on what I can do. I do occasionally go for walks. Something I should do every day I feel.

4 hours ago, 27X said:

it is as important as any other facet of health.

Diet, Exercise, Sleep.

Period.

Very much easier said than done. It takes awareness in the first place and a strong will to implement and stick to. Just knowing I need to eat better and exercise doesn't tell me much about how I should be doing those things. And with a world to explore 24/7 at our fingertips- sleep seems less and less important in our lives rather than an essential part of maintaining health.

1 minute ago, Mr.Otaku said:

I'd say it's very important. I admit i'm a little biased towards it since i love working out/sparring/practicing but even on a conventional level exercise is good for the body and mind while also providing some longevity.

I've heard a lot of excuses from people for why they don't exercise more/eat better (guilty myself). The most popular is not having the time. I guess they're busy dying, lol.

5 hours ago, Molevalence said:

After my leg injury that shattered my right kneecap I lost a lot of luxury for exercise. Even after 2 surgeries and 19 months of physical therapy my endurance is shot and need a brace to walk. I still try from time to time but unfortunately I am very limited on what I can do. I do occasionally go for walks. Something I should do every day I feel.

Really sorry to hear that. Same thing happened to my mom and she was never the same after. I tried to help her by setting up a pool in the back of the house so she could get some physical activity without the weight/stress on her shattered hip. I like to think it helped.

I walk A LOT.  Walk at work, walk my property to check for hog damage and feral dogs.  Also there's no snack food in my house other than tortillas.  No chips, cookies, etc.  I quit eating anything made with corn years ago and the pounds fell off almost immediately.  Everything I eat at home is made from scratch.  Having to get up and cook is key, I think.  Red meat, veggies and fruit; minimal cereal grains and NO NUTS at all.  My doctor says I'm in better health than the people he sees who are half my age.  I'm 5'10" and I weight 156lbs.

54 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

I've heard a lot of excuses from people for why they don't exercise more/eat better (guilty myself). The most popular is not having the time. I guess they're busy dying, lol.

Those that take something seriously will make time for it. If they cant find the time then they don't care enough about it to begin with. The problem of quitting midway is only made worse because people try to take on too much from the start. They expect results too quickly and burn out fast which leads to a long cycle of procrastination.

2 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

I walk A LOT.  Walk at work, walk my property to check for hog damage and feral dogs.  Also there's no snack food in my house other than tortillas.  No chips, cookies, etc.  I quit eating anything made with corn years ago and the pounds fell off almost immediately.  Everything I eat at home is made from scratch.  Having to get up and cook is key, I think.  Red meat, veggies and fruit; minimal cereal grains and NO NUTS at all.  My doctor says I'm in better health than the people he sees who are half my age.  I'm 5'10" and I weight 156lbs.

Corn.....I get and thanks for pointing that out. But nuts?

"Nuts are rich in heart-healthy polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats, which lower LDL or "bad" cholesterol; plus, they are a good source of phytosterols, compounds that help lower blood cholesterol.
They are packed with fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals, including folate, vitamin E, potassium and magnesium."- https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/10/health/are-nuts-healthy-food-drayer/index.html

"Eating nuts on a regular basis may improve your health in many ways, such as by reducing diabetes and heart disease risk, as well as cholesterol and triglyceride levels. This nutritious high-fiber treat may even aid weight loss — despite its high calorie count."- https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/8-benefits-of-nuts

What I learned in a class I took last semester is that it's not any one specific food that's bad for you. I mean ice cream and cookies have some beneficial vitamins and nutrients. The key, or so I've been taught, is to eat a varied diet along with moderation of snacks (cake, soda, etc) and getting plenty of exercise/rest with pure water being the most essential (just plain water). Are they wrong?

27 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Corn.....I get and thanks for pointing that out. But nuts?

Certain nuts contain high levels of estrogen and a lot of them contain testosterone blockers.  Low T and surplus estrogen will make you a FAT man-boobed beta, and that makes you a prime candidate for cancer.  But at least you can show solidarity at womens' marches.  :classic_tongue:  Or be a moderator on Reddit.

47 minutes ago, Kendo 2 said:

Certain nuts contain high levels of estrogen and a lot of them contain testosterone blockers.  Low T and surplus estrogen will make you a FAT man-boobed beta, and that makes you a prime candidate for cancer.  But at least you can show solidarity at womens' marches.  :classic_tongue:  Or be a moderator on Reddit.

Wow, they don't teach that shit. Doesn't surprise me either with the way people be hatin on testosterone these days. An article supporting what you said- https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods-that-lower-testosterone

Man, what a fuckin minefield to deal with.

48 minutes ago, endgameaddic†ion said:

I like to occasionally/socially drink alcohol. So health isn't that big of an issue to me. I'm going to enjoy life.

ye enjoy a shorter life lol

I never had a job that doesn't include a shitload of manual labour, I don't know much about working outside every day vs doing exercise in your free time vs sitting on your ass all day. BUT.

But I know for a fact that diet is absolutely fucking crucial. Long story short, eat a lot of protein and you will be good at lifting heavy shit. Eat something like toasts and jam for breakfast and thou shall wither.

More physical activity makes you harder to kill.

21 hours ago, Molevalence said:

While not as severely, I know how you feel, I had a motorized pallet-jack malfunction and partially crush my left foot about a year ago. I lucked out with minimal damage but I have to sit down and put my foot up round about half way through my work shift because of both fatigue and pain.

Exercise is not only good for the body, but for the brain. From what I've researched (as well as passive learning from whatever) your brain works less when you're doing physical activity, which gives it time to rest. That's one of the reasons most younger schoolchildren get recess, to give them the time to exercise and let their brain rest before returning to their studies. I recall seeing a poster at my old high school that showed two side-by-side brain activity levels during a test, one after a 20-minute walk and one that was just sitting for an hour. The one that walked has much higher activity.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 5:26 AM, KoolHndLuke said:

Wow, they don't teach that shit. Doesn't surprise me either with the way people be hatin on testosterone these days. An article supporting what you said- https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods-that-lower-testosterone

Man, what a fuckin minefield to deal with.

Nutrition science is fucking garbage. Look at all the cited studies in that article: The only mentioned study that had over 100 participants which is really fucking low considering you need to eliminate A LOT of variables - such as age, weight, lifestyle, general diet etc. - to isolate the effects of a particular diet is the one in the processed foods section. You can throw any study that has less than at the very least a hundred test subjects into the trash.

If in doubt, you can always try an elimination diet or eat like a caveman. And if you're concerned about your testosterone levels, go ask a doctor to check it for you.