About that frame:

Build the base, snap the ring onto it. and then plant a button to activate it. Activate the button and the ring rotates to horizontal where the subject  can be tattooed by some moving machinery that I've yet to create. The trick of course is going to be to get the girl to move with the frame. So that's next.

The big win from this bit has been discovering helper activators. They're used in-game to move lift platforms, and to open the gates at Big John's Scrapyard. And it turns out I can just spawn one on-the-fly, move it to a node on the ring so I get the rotation axis right, and then attach the ring to the helper. After that, I just tell the helper how far I need it to rotate and it takes the ring with it.. I figure I can probably move the tattoo machine parts with the same approach.

I might also put a slot in those support posts so I can plausibly lower the ring to be at a more convenient height for certain ... other activities :)

OK. I found an easy way to do this.

Turns out you can attach actors to helper objects. I tried it, not really expecting it to work, but as you can see, it works just fine. Click the button for a 90 degree rotation. Shift click it and rotate back the other way.

Couple of caveats here: the wiki says AttachTo only works on created objects, so unique NPCs like Piper might not attach. There's also an issue with actors not being able to walk after being released because they're still attached to the helper. I can probably clear that by removing the helper and recreating it, but I'll have to see. All the named NPCs I have to test with at the moment are a 0xFF refs, meaning they've been placed at run time, so the first problem may not be too bad. The second one is going to be a show stopper if I can't find a way around it.

53 minutes ago, naaitsab said:

Does it also work with reference aliases? You could force a NPC to a quest alias to "create" it. See if that will work on unique NPC

Trouble is, it's the actor that needs to be created. The helper will work on Clutch just fine, because she gets placed in Back Street Apparel at run time. But Piper is placed in the editor before the game starts, so she can't be rotated like that. (I just tried).

I can solve the walk-away problem by deleting the helper and making a new one, although I think that might freeze the wheel - I need to test that a bit more.

What I might try is to place an invisible eyebot there, and mount the prisoner as a passenger, like on the vertibirds. Then I can attach the bot to the helper and it doesn't matter if the bot can't move except for how the helper allows, and dismounting from vehicles is well defined.

Well, on the one hand, I managed to get an rideable eyebot, and better yet the riding animation is Vader's XCross pose. So I rotate the bot with the helper and that'll rotate the bot's rider. Problem I have now is that when the girl rides the bot, she exits the furniture, which means my scripting dismounts her from the bot. Then the workshop tried to get her to get back on the furniture, which mounts her on the bot with causes her to exit the furniture which causes her to dismount the bot and so on ad infinitum.

I could turn the ring mesh into armor and use it as the bot's skin and do away with the ring entirely. I must be able place it in the workshop, since turrets are actors and they're placeable. Only can I then direct a settler to use the ring. One way to find out, I guess...

Also turrets would be a better base for my rideable actor since they don't bob around all over the place. I just need to disarm them. Or maybe spotlights. Which are probably just turrets with a different item mounted in the weapon slot. Maybe I can create an unarmed turret....

Incidentally, being able to make rideables with arbitrary animation is a huge deal. There are lots of things I've wanted to do, if I could only get the actor to move with the furniture. I am going to have some fun with this.

Well, I got the bot reskinned, and with a bit of messing around with keywords, managed to mount the damn thing on the frame. Problem now is I can't assign anyone to it. I get the prompt, but hitting enter does nothing. I'm not sure if this is an engine limitation or just me missing a keyword.

So what I might try is creating the bot/ring when the frame is placed and have a second item of furniture to assign to the prisoner. Once the prisoner enters the furniture, I can use the workshop function to re-assign them to the ring

Oh yeah, I also spent a ridiculous amount of time making a mashup of piper's hat and the respirator hood I made for the tubes. I thought it might be laugh if she kept her hat on even in the confinement tube, and I also thought the change of pace might give me a break from fighting with robots and connect points and what not.

Well, you would not believe the trouble I've had getting that damn hat to deploy. I have an auto-equipper script that, takes a list of items and equips them on anyone using an item of furniture. So, since I was going to make a special case anyway, I added two more arrays. One for "only for this actor" and one for "never for this actor". So the actor sitting down matched the "never" entry for this item, it gets skipped. And if there's an "only" entry and the actor doesn't match it gets skipped. So that way I can set up one hood for Piper and one for everyone else, and if I get further daft ideas along these lines, I can accommodate them easily.

At least that was the plan. You would not believe the trouble I had debugging that script. And to add insult to injury, in the end the problem was that I hadn't updated the Armor Addon for the new hat. The script was working perfectly.

It's been that sort of day.

image.png

Was it worth it? Probably if it gives someone giggle somewhere down the line. But if I'd known how much effort it was going to take I'd have given it a miss.

Anyway, I'm off to bed. I'm knackered.

Currently struggling with snap points and other CK irritants, so nothing in-game to show for it. So here's the blender design for the eventual setup

image.png

Idea is that

• You set a prisoner to kneel on the metal platform in the foreground.
  • The platform moves back on the rails until it reaches the ring.
  • The prisoner is transferred to the ring.
  • The platform moves back to the start. Underfloor lights switch on and maybe some spots from the top gallery.
  • The ring rotates 90 degrees so the prisoner is face down
  • More lights come on. The tattoo 'bot needs to be able to see to work
  • The tattoo device is configure like a 3D printer so it can move along all three axes. It now comes down and slides across and takes up position of the prisoner's arm
  • The tattoo is applied. Preferably with many sparks and some sound effects. Maybe a cry of pain too.
  • Tattoo head repositions over the prisoner's ass and repeat.
  • The take the tattoo head back up
  • rotate the ring 180 degrees
  • bring the tattoo head back down to do the facial tattoo. I wanted something to grasp the back of the head and hold it immobile for this, but I don't think there's room so you'll just have to imagine.
  • Ring returns to upright.

image.png

Of course, this all assumes I can solve the rotation problem. A ring that only rotates some prisoners is going to be pretty crap.

I've also been fiddling around with making a better air mask since the small one is full of weird geometry artifacts. I thought this might be fun for the texture.

image.png

... but sadly, it doesn't want to show up in game.If the lights are just right, you can just about make it out. Otherwise it comes out as a dull matte grey. Probably if I fiddle with some of the other textures I can still make it work.

OK. This is still rough as fuck, but ...

... I think I can reasonably call that progress. The bobbing motion is probably because the ring bot is a reskinned eyebot and the animation is taking the 'bot's bobbing motion even though the bot itself is frozen. The alignment with the furniture needs tightening up of course, no point in doing that until the bobbing is sorted out.

On the other hand, this is Piper who couldn't be rotated under the old system. So that's a major problem solved.

Next is to get the bobbing fixed. I might try parenting to the root bone rather than COM, or failing that, applying the same changes to a turret should be fairly static.

And after that, the superstructure and actual tattoos!

23 hours ago, the3rdArc said:

Looking great Doc! I look forward to seeing more of your awesome ideas. I love the gloryhole esq ones. Hope to see more soon.

Thanks! Nice of you to say so.

I've was hoping to get something released today that was more or less functional, but trigonometry has been kicking my ass. So I mocked up a version with platform helpers instead of using translateTo, that that works much better. I just need to get it into the main model now.

Question for you all: I'm thinking of making this programmable. In the sense that a 3rd party mod could create a holotape with a linked script that had a list of instructions. A bit like this:

[
	{ "rotate ring", 90.0 },
	{ "move z", 0.5 },
	{ "move y", 0.7 },
	{ "move x", 0.6 },
	{ "tattoo", "raider_ass_tat" },
]

The idea being you could load the holotape for a set of tattoos into the machine and everyone processed thereafter would get that set of tats (and that set of movements) until the tape was changed.

I just wondered, if I did it, was anyone interested in making addons? I'll probably do it anyway, just to give a reasonably immersive way to change the tat being applied, but if there's interest in using it, I'll take a try and make it a bit more user friendly.

Spoiler

Personally I'm more into a Terminal connected to the device. It's not something you will change when on the other side of the map and it adds a bit of realism to the device.

Do you plan to make a version that has a "massaging pleasure stick"? It seems the bulk of the work is already done, would be a nice addon :)

BTW does it also work on the PC? Would be a great leap to start a "player gets send to reform school" mod

28 minutes ago, naaitsab said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Personally I'm more into a Terminal connected to the device. It's not something you will change when on the other side of the map and it adds a bit of realism to the device.

Mmm. But then how to add new tats? If I make a new set  of tats in six months, I have to edit the mod script and recompile. And anyone else who wants to add a tat has to overwrite my scripts.

With a holotape, add a new item with the same scripting, and it can be loaded right up. Although I suppose I could have a tape bin and a terminal that selected from the stored tapes.

Do you plan to make a version that has a "massaging pleasure stick"? It seems the bulk of the work is already done, would be a nice addon :)

I'm thinking about it. What I originally intended was to enable a sort of production line, where something picked up the ring, complete with prisoner, and dropped them into the next station in the sequence. So you could have (potentially) a "raider dirt remover" station, a vibrator station, an auto-inseminator station, and maybe one that dropped processed inmates into a cage or other long term holding facility.

The problem there, of course, is partly getting access with all that superstructure in the way, and partly the scale of the gantry that would move the ring between stations. Maybe a pair of little handy-bods to pick up the ring by the pivots and fly it off to the next stage. Or I could just go with some sort of rotating head.

I think I want to get this bit finished first :)

BTW does it also work on the PC? Would be a great leap to start a "player gets send to reform school" mod

It does, but it doesn't do anything particular to restrain the player if they really want out. And I don't want to depend on Devious Devices. But yeah, it does sound fun :D

Sliders working on all three axes now, so that's good. Need to do a little calibration so they don't fly off the ends, and some presets for useful anatomical locations. Other than that, it's looking good.

The programmable holotapes, not so much. The papyrus inheritance system seems to be broken. (I'm sure everyone is shocked). I extended ObjectReference to TattooBase, and extended TattooBase to Tattoo_Raider and then stuck a Tattoo_Raider script on a holotape and placed it in the world. That got me an ObjectReference which I should have been able to cast back to TattooBase. "Should" being the operative term, of course. So currently I've got the instructions all hard coded for test purposes. Hopefully I'll work something out.

Oh, and I still want a shower of sparks for the tattoo process. And I still need to apply the actual tats, which could be considered important in some circles...

Okay, so I can't test out the mod as I recently abandoned Vortex for Mod Organizer 2 and I am still figuring out how to make MO2 actually work lol.

That said Raider Reform School as a mod appealed to me back when I was still using Vortex. Partly because it reminds me of Emily Tilton's Institute Erotica series (Worth checking out for the dystopian worldbuilding alone) and partly because it is nice to have an option other than killing. Tongue in cheek though the lore of this mod is I do genuinely like the idea of a role play system to "Rehabilitate and reform" people who were previously shooting at me. That the method of reformation is horrifically dystopian just fits with the lore of Fallout. Perhaps prewar the system was developed by the elites as a series of devices intended to titilate the elites while making their desired victims compliant. Then maybe you find some minuteman from a vault where this system was used and they've redesigned it and renamed it to a new purpose.

Sorry that's my sci-fi writer brain over thinking the lore possibilities lol

I will admit I got very confused by the wording of how the baggy tank top and shoes are supposed to work together for this mod. I ended up specifically installing bodyslide files for the tank top and building them to be a different body than the shoes because I did not understand and yes once that was done the raiders could only use one or the other.

I have been meaning to really read the lore and forum posts for Wasteland Dairy Farm but I ended up reading through all the pages here for Raider Reform School first so it is nice to see the modder in charge of Wasteland Dairy Farm specifically working with this. 

I have to say Doc that having read through all 14 pages of this I admire your creativity and skill. I followed a guide once to make a Dalek in blender amongst other things so I know something of how difficult and fiddly just the basic sculpting of cg models can be. I also don't envy you the continual barrage of questions about problems addressed earlier

On that note it might be fun and fitting at this point if your mod did actually include a "Chain Bikini" lol perhaps Princess Leia in Return of the Jedi style? If nothing else it could be a change from working on the factory system. (That sounds so cool, if a lot of hard work)

I will be playing as a woman this time to take advantage of FPE, Wasteland Dairy Farm etc... So it might be nice if there's options for being a female dominant and inseminator. I mean I'm thinking a cool part of FPE/Wasteland Dairy Farm is getting super mutant settlers. I'm sure there's an option to just inject seed but it would be fun for the female player to have a strap on that injects whatever sees is inside during the fucking animation. Raider Reform School could even have it's own special concoctions for the use with the strap syringe depending on how far down that rabbit hole you wanted to go. I mean you already have an option to remove a subject's brain, why not have potions that can only be administered through fucking?

Anyway I greatly appreciate all the work you've put into this mod. Even if I cannot actually test out it's features lol

Oh and if it isn't too much to ask and it's not included already Scribe Haylen from the Brotherhood of Steel should definitely have her name added to the special tattoos. 

7 hours ago, DocClox said:

Mmm. But then how to add new tats? If I make a new set  of tats in six months, I have to edit the mod script and recompile. And anyone else who wants to add a tat has to overwrite my scripts.

With a holotape, add a new item with the same scripting, and it can be loaded right up. Although I suppose I could have a tape bin and a terminal that selected from the stored tapes.

You could combine it perhaps? If you update the mod yourself it's just Terminal based (recompile is 3 clicks ofc) and use the holotape for external mods. Not sure if you add it to an array. So if you load the tape into the "mainframe" it's available from the terminal?

I'm thinking about it. What I originally intended was to enable a sort of production line, where something picked up the ring, complete with prisoner, and dropped them into the next station in the sequence. So you could have (potentially) a "raider dirt remover" station, a vibrator station, an auto-inseminator station, and maybe one that dropped processed inmates into a cage or other long term holding facility.

The problem there, of course, is partly getting access with all that superstructure in the way, and partly the scale of the gantry that would move the ring between stations. Maybe a pair of little handy-bods to pick up the ring by the pivots and fly it off to the next stage. Or I could just go with some sort of rotating head.

I think I want to get this bit finished first :)

The ring is begging for more attachments ;) but indeed 1 thing at a time.

It does, but it doesn't do anything particular to restrain the player if they really want out. And I don't want to depend on Devious Devices. But yeah, it does sound fun :D

A disable player control layer and SetPlayerAIDriven could help with that. Would be cool to see a PC focused story mod, personally my preference over enslaving NPCs. 

Hey Doc, 

Just a quick question. After a cursory trawl through the discussions I haven't seen anything about this, so can male settlers use the slaves in my settlement? I've got a couple, round 10 or so, all wearing the inseminator jumpsuits, but nothings happening. Can only the player get slaves pregnant, or am I missing something?

Cheers in advance mate. 

Turns out I'm not quite so pushed for time as I thought.

4 hours ago, Farsh-nuke said:

Okay, so I can't test out the mod as I recently abandoned Vortex for Mod Organizer 2 and I am still figuring out how to make MO2 actually work lol.

Bit of a learning curve, but worthwhile :)

That said Raider Reform School as a mod appealed to me back when I was still using Vortex. Partly because it reminds me of Emily Tilton's Institute Erotica series (Worth checking out for the dystopian worldbuilding alone)

Just had a quick look, and the y do indeed look very good. "Selecta Corporation" ... Makes me wonder if there's any link to the SelectaCorp games.

and partly because it is nice to have an option other than killing. Tongue in cheek though the lore of this mod is I do genuinely like the idea of a role play system to "Rehabilitate and reform" people who were previously shooting at me.

That's pretty much my playstyle. I don't like killing women, but I clearly can't leave them running around loose. What's a chap to do?

That the method of reformation is horrifically dystopian just fits with the lore of Fallout. Perhaps prewar the system was developed by the elites as a series of devices intended to titilate the elites while making their desired victims compliant. Then maybe you find some minuteman from a vault where this system was used and they've redesigned it and renamed it to a new purpose.

Sorry that's my sci-fi writer brain over thinking the lore possibilities lol

Yeah, I really want to dig into the background a bit more and set up some sort of quest at some point. I just keep having too much fun making things :)

I will admit I got very confused by the wording of how the baggy tank top and shoes are supposed to work together for this mod. I ended up specifically installing bodyslide files for the tank top and building them to be a different body than the shoes because I did not understand and yes once that was done the raiders could only use one or the other.

That can work quite well. I had some early games with the mod where I had all the default women with a fairly athletic, going on petite build, and I deliberately built the shoes and tops to something hyper-sexualized. On the basis of some sort of nano particles in the tops, or something. But it's easier to just build everything to the same shape.

I will be playing as a woman this time to take advantage of FPE, Wasteland Dairy Farm etc... So it might be nice if there's options for being a female dominant and inseminator.

I will do a female version of the Licenced Inseminator jumpsuit, since there seems ot be demand for it. Apart from that, there's nothing stops you playing RRS as a female character, although the insemination may need a bit of fussing.

I mean I'm thinking a cool part of FPE/Wasteland Dairy Farm is getting super mutant settlers. I'm sure there's an option to just inject seed but it would be fun for the female player to have a strap on that injects whatever sees is inside during the fucking animation. Raider Reform School could even have it's own special concoctions for the use with the strap syringe depending on how far down that rabbit hole you wanted to go. I mean you already have an option to remove a subject's brain, why not have potions that can only be administered through fucking?

Why not indeed? Definitely a possibility.

Anyway I greatly appreciate all the work you've put into this mod. Even if I cannot actually test out it's features lol

Oh and if it isn't too much to ask and it's not included already Scribe Haylen from the Brotherhood of Steel should definitely have her name added to the special tattoos. 

Haylen. How could I have missed Haylen? Definitely on the to-do list :)

1 hour ago, naaitsab said:

You could combine it perhaps? If you update the mod yourself it's just Terminal based (recompile is 3 clicks ofc) and use the holotape for external mods. Not sure if you add it to an array. So if you load the tape into the "mainframe" it's available from the terminal?

Yeah, that's doable. If I can ever get the sodding papyrus inheritance system to work as advertised, anyway. I'm cross about that.

The ring is begging for more attachments ;) but indeed 1 thing at a time.

Oh, attachments for the ring? Certainly there's room there for the odd attachment.

A disable player control layer and SetPlayerAIDriven could help with that. Would be cool to see a PC focused story mod, personally my preference over enslaving NPCs. 

I could certainly give a SetPlayerAIDriven option.

35 minutes ago, JokersToTheLeft said:

Just a quick question. After a cursory trawl through the discussions I haven't seen anything about this, so can male settlers use the slaves in my settlement? I've got a couple, round 10 or so, all wearing the inseminator jumpsuits, but nothings happening. Can only the player get slaves pregnant, or am I missing something?

There's currently no AI in the game at all. Mainly it's window dressing to work alongside other mods.  Anyone will be able to impregnate the slaves if you set up Family Planning that way, so that's doable. I'm not sure about anything to make them use the slavegirls, but if there's a suitable mod, I can probably be persuaded to look at making them compatible.

I have one fantasy series, one scifi series and one ridiculous Doctor Who/Blakes 7/Star Trek franchise etc fanfic series all paused mid writing. Indeed I even started a new unarmed/rifle only  Brotherhood unmodded run at Fallout 4 since I still can't get MO2 to work with Fallout after moving fallout from the program files folder. So I very much sympathise with being distracted. 

This is really impressive animation. Reminds me of the lore about the dalek factory lines. As I recall the plot of Frost was that proto synths were basically modified humans. It's not my thing but you've clearly worked hard on the Stumpz frameworks so perhaps there could be a variant of the production line where raiders are cyberized as part of the factory process? I mean I've seen several cyborg lady mods on here and even Torchwood did the sexy cyber woman idea on the BBC and it would let you combine the work you're doing here with stuff earlier. I'll shut up now and leave you to it. 

At least until I actually get MO2 working and have feedback from actually using the mod to give.

Working collision, too!

image.png

I'd about given up on the idea, then I cam across a post saying how if you turned a static collection into a nif, the collisions got merged. So I tried it and it works like a charm. Collision wise, the machine is now basically a stack of beer crates and cinder blocks, but it gets the job done.

I figure we'll need to observe some basic health and safety precautions.

image.png

That's better!

On 4/17/2021 at 8:03 PM, Farsh-nuke said:

This is really impressive animation.

Honestly, I cheat. There are vanilla markers called platformhelperfree01 and rotationhelperfree that you can attach items to and then tell them to rotate or translate. I set up three platform helpers and one rotation and the engine does the rest for me. (OK, getting them positioned and hooked up properly was a bit of a faff on, admittedly).

perhaps there could be a variant of the production line where raiders are cyberized as part of the factory process?

I do have some ideas along those lines. If I ever get around to that questline, some of them might even see daylight.