Install Error using Nexus Mod Manager 0.42.1

An exception occurred in the script.

It's pretty long...

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. -> System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.SecurityPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=.....  blah blah blah

NMM doesn't tend to work well with mods not specifically packed to be installed with it from what I've seen. This includes not only mods from sites other than nexus but a good number of mods on the nexus itself, where I've had NMM try and install an update and end up uninstalling the original mod entirely and breaking the update. It also doesn't play nice with fomm as they seem to share a common ini file so can't be used together unfortunately. I've switched up to fomm exclusively now and have less issues getting mods installed properly. Admittedly it's been several months now since I used nmm and I can see they've released multiple new versions, but what I have now I know works;)

As for "uninstalling the original mod entirely and breaking the update", NMM doesn't do this automatically.

What happens is, when you install an update to a mod, NMM asks you if you want to "Upgrade".  By "upgrade", it means "uninstall the old version and install the new one".  If it asked you if you wanted to upgrade and you clicked "yes", that's why it broke the mod.  Only click yes if it is an entire new version of the mod, not an update patch.  It's easy enough to fix by uninstalling both, re-installing the mod, then installing the patch and clicking "No".

I personally find NMM very easy and convenient to use, and then I don't need multiple mod managers for different games.  It's even easy to create your own mod packages for it for mods like Sexout that tell you specifically not to use NMM.  You can just pack anything into a zip/rar/7z, add it to NMM, and, without a fomod package to tell it otherwise, NMM will simply drop everything in the archive straight into the Data folder for you.  I used that to wrap up all my Sexout mods and keep them bundled for easy installation and uninstallation.

I do keep FOMM around for the BSA unpacker, and they seem to work fine next to each other for me, although that might be because of where I installed them.

If you do not find it troubling to be active on this site when Nexus is so adamantly opposed to your doing so, and if you do not have problems with NMM breaking your game when you upgrade instead of uninstall/reinstall/re-address any load order and/or overlapping file dependency issues, and if you do not have problems with the obscure rules that it uses to identify packages and versions (which, granted, might have been improved since I last used it), and if it does not repeat its earlier behaviors (like where it would crash when it tried to interact with its web services under certain conditions) then NMM might indeed be the right package manager for you.

Personally, though, I like FOMM's integration with FNVEdit and its ability to upgrade packages, and a few other things.

NMM's version checking hasn't improved at all, it still checks the individual file's version against the entire download page's version and then ignores what it finds, resulting in such entertaining error messages such as "Version 2.1 of this mod is out-of-daate. The new version is 2.1. Update from 2.1 to 2.1?" And it still crashes on OMOD and FOMOD scripts regularly, though it has gotten better somewhere in the twenty or so updates that went by while it was so totally broken it couldn't even start up properly.

But it's a passable Download Manager, good for those 500+ MB mods. So that's something.