/r/Modpiracy is DEAD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/18/2020 at 7:55 AM, Wolfstorm321 said:

This is actually good news. People should stop using Reddit. That place is a cesspool of hate and negativity. The most toxic forum in the internet.

Hahaha. Reddit seems saner compared to Facebook. See /r/insanepeoplefacebook.

On 1/21/2020 at 5:33 AM, DremoraDream said:

My point and contribution to this thread? ... I miss Tumblr...

I like my adult content there, but the bots fucking freak me out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 5:55 PM, Wolfstorm321 said:

This is actually good news. People should stop using Reddit. That place is a cesspool of hate and negativity. The most toxic forum in the internet.

When one leave a place because its negative, instead of seeking to make it better- is one part of the problem? That is my thought question of the day.

Here are some super shitty, negative ones I love  /sarcasm:

• 2 weeks later...

Let's not get our hopes down, a reddit disappeared, so what.. What people really should do is host mod torrents and create a mod torrent tracker.
Torrents are more resilient than links. Mega links get nuked, mediafire links get nuked... Finding dead links everywhere everytime I browse, the only places I find banned mods still alive are Spanish and Russian websites, hell they even have more mods archived than the Japanese and the Koreans...

That and a certain faction of the online community whose name shall not be mentioned on these forums.

14 hours ago, Asura Scorpion said:

Let's not get our hopes down, a reddit disappeared, so what.. What people really should do is host mod torrents and create a mod torrent tracker.
Torrents are more resilient than links. Mega links get nuked, mediafire links get nuked... Finding dead links everywhere everytime I browse, the only places I find banned mods still alive are Spanish and Russian websites, hell they even have more mods archived than the Japanese and the Koreans...

That and a certain faction of the online community whose name shall not be mentioned on these forums.

post links to these sites or it didnt happen

Ofcourse it didn't happen, it's an idea though. Another idea is to upload mods on Archive.org.

In fact for those interested I will begin to upload the mods I struggled to find.

So Hunk, might handle requests if I find a mod you're looking for, shoot me a message when you can and I'll look into it.

I wish we could host mods in a blockchain.

Currently, we can store any file in Sia or Storj blockchains, but they are not specific for mods. That is, you will be distributing all sort of files through it. Also, Storj requirement is too high, 500gb.

I was thinking something that could combine the ideas behind Sia and Storj, with the ones behind Lbry and Steem, but specific for games.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 12:56 PM, Wolfstorm321 said:

The internet was a space where you could express your opinions without fear of retaliation. In this respect, the internet ran counter to real life. The (apparent) anonymity allowed people to have open discussions about anything.

Reddit came and reverted this to what it is in real life. Now people cant express their opinions anymore, fearing the mob would "beat" them and have their post censored.

When I say Reddit changed the face of the internet, its because of the influx of people who stopped using forums, mailing lists, image boards, etc, to use Reddit instead, looking for a "safe space" where there would be no disagreement to their views. This created several echo chambers where there is no discussion, as any disagreement is promptly censored after receiving five downvotes, including its replies.

The years passed and now people who used Reddit for all this time have a distorted idea of what censorship is. They think censorship can only come from corporations or the State. They cant conceive the idea of a algorithm which promotes censorship, which is all that Reddit does. This algorithm is what make Reddit different from the other forums and platforms, and the fact people are flocking to it just confirms some theories about crowd mentality.

Now, focusing only on mods, a sub dedicated to some ambitious project, which have thousands of fanboys (and bots), can censor anyone who points out bugs on its beta versions, brigading such posts and making them disappear from view. With this tyrannical attitude, it can pass the image of a unfailing mod, the definitive mod which is the best of the best, building hype, promoting youtube videos and making money from ads attached to such videos (or from crowdfunding). The years pass and this project never ends, because the hype around it is giving profit to its authors, and anyone who points bugs from beta versions is promptly censored in its sub. Multiply this a hundred times and you have a toxic scene, where modding stagnates around who build the more hype, instead of focusing on who releases content with less bugs, or even functional content. This is just one of the effects of Reddit censorship, not to be seem in any other forum, because people blocking each other is just a matter of choice, whereas blocking someone from everybody, because five other people (or bots) decided it, is not.

Basically this but replace reddit with Discord. Reddit didnt really kill foruming. It made it die down a little but most people really only used it for resource or news.

On 1/25/2020 at 8:41 AM, Halakason said:

Just gonna leave this here, same dudes of the Mod Piracy thread are handling it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/drownedmods/

except that it's all just a bunch of people who need to get laid requesting paid DrSlumpX RE2 Jill mods because they're poor and horny and single.

I'm trying to get the main offender banned because he's annoying, entitled, and doesn't belong on Reddit.

The internet is not just Reddit.

Modding is not just the Nexus.

Artie and company can enforce their rules in the Nexus, but did they enforced them on Patreon? It seems not.

Thats why this discussion about "modders rights" is a waste of time. When I see it, I bring the popcorn and enjoy the flames.

You cant discuss this subject, while free mods are being put behind paywalls in Patreon or other websites, without any consent from its authors, and with them receiving nothing in return.

If you want to enforce parlor modding in the Nexus, but let free mods running behind paywalls in other websites, you are a hypocrite.

Ten years ago, Oblivion had a much more healthy modding community, and you could find new content for the game. Vanilla modding was just a detail.

Today, Skyrim modding community is a very toxic place, and most mods are retextures or rehashs of the same old places. Vanilla modding now is the rule.

Try to criticize the current "scene" in Reddit, and they downvote-bomb you. Most players today are MMO grinders and love repeating the same content a thousand times. They have been trained for it.

Mods which adds new functionalities are also suffering from this. Recently I had a hard time trying to find a mod featuring a wheelmenu for spells. Everywhere I looked, there were main menu replacers. Even after blocking more than 10 authors, they kept popping up. A entire section, dedicated to functional content, was overrun by main menu replacers. I had to give up. Nexus admins are partially responsible for this, since they could have put a new section for these replacers.

TES modding have been lowered to the same tier of other games, games which we play once and forget. You just mod a vanilla asset and thats it, no new content, no new functionality. A sad state of affairs, and thats why I'm putting my content into cloud services.

• 3 months later...
On 5/17/2020 at 9:33 AM, Wolfstorm321 said:

Today, Skyrim modding community is a very toxic place, and most mods are retextures or rehashs of the same old places. Vanilla modding now is the rule.

Hope I'm not necroing, but I just had to give my two cents.

People like what they like. If you make a mod that adds new funcionality, it's basically bound to get drowned by yet another 4k retexture, because those mods are the ones that most people are actually seeking for.

Good thing I don't give a shit about popularity, or I would have stopped sharing my mods long ago :P