New Site Layout

The like system has no incredible impact on the site's performance, it was disabled temporarily as one measure among many others to help alleviate the slowness. It's been turned back on along with other the other disabled features now that the slowness is resolved.

Either you like the like system and would hate to see it go, or you don't care about it and prefer to leave your appreciation in words, in which case it's presence does absolutely nothing to harm you and you can go on not caring. Removing it angers one side of the fence, leaving it should offend nobody.

Personally I appreciate seeing somebody like a post, but I appreciate an actual word of thanks tenfold. The anger over it being brought back genuinely astounds me, gratitude isn't something to give an unwelcome attitude towards, no matter what form it takes.

What's up with the security certificate warning I got when logging in? It has never done that before.

Whatever caused that it only happened once. It was the first time I logged in after it was down yesterday and I get that warning from IE11, and not since then.

Considering the like function slowly turned LL into a like-counter-craving community similar to facebook, it's a good thing it's gone. And i hope it'll stay gone. The best example for this would be the "show your skyrim counterpart" thread where people began to post their images like mad just to increase their like count.

And as a matter of fact, clicking on a like button has nothing to do with feedback. Real feedback consists of words not of likes.

Speaking as someone who's posted quite a lot in the counterpart thread recently, I do actually completely get what you're saying here. I don't doubt there are some who do post in it (and elsewhere) just to increase their like count - and I won't deny that it put a smile on my face to see a few likes for one of my posts - but what puts a smile on my face is putting a smile on other people's faces. I couldn't tell you how many likes I had before the feature went offline, because I honestly didn't look, or care. I just post shots of my character because people seem to enjoy them and the silly stories I make about her, and I'll continue to do that whether there are likes or not - unless everyone starts posting at me to stop with my stupid character already! :lol: As someone with very limited modding skills, it's one of my ways of contributing a little something.

If the like system was a significant cause of site slowdown, then that's one thing, and it should perhaps have stayed gone if so, but I don't see the harm of it otherwise. Whatever floats people's boats, I guess.

Anyway, last night and this morning the site seems really fast and smooth again.

:)

The "likes" system is hyere, but lacks the count on your profile page (check the "reputation" section of your own profile). I don't think this was the real cause of the problem. The notification system may be mor the real cause of the recent problems. I don't konw if you're noticed the fact that the notifications are reinitialised (stored notifications). This can be very huge if one keeps all his/her notifications, even the read ones.

For the "likes", i'm using these for the posts i really like (and sometimes i reply to those posts to mark even more my appreciation and to thank the poster).

I generally start browsing the site by checking the "New Content" listing. I'm getting "Sorry, no new content found." with surprising regularity. Sometime when I navigate between pages, one of the intermittent pages gives that message but disappears again when I refresh or navigate back and back again. Is that search/sort functionality broken?

I learned that I have 10 posts lines in rows in "My content". Which is fine, but they are not refreshed accordingly. For instance; I made a post, someone replied to that post, but that post stayed on the third page instead of being moved up, among first ten. So, it is a little frustrating that I have to scroll down the pages, sometimes even on 8th page just to see who replied to my post. Any help?

Thank you for advice Benmc20, but it is not the thing that is at issue. I have difficulty to express myself in English and that's the reason why I'm being misunderstood. What I'm saying is that, let's say, I reply to some post on 8tf page. The person replied to my reply but that replay didn't move up to the front page so I can see that it has been replyed. It stays there.

Is it a miracle or not, I do not know, but a few minutes ago, things started to work as they should.

Yikes! New advert policy?

I've just been redirected to a betting site without even clicking on anything, and my own Member Title now contains a link for a survey :huh:

And clicking the smiley in the post editor doesn't do anything...

EDIT: Also, my profile page is littered with these survey links, and none of the buttons for viewing my posts, reputation, friends, topics etc. seem to work.

2nd EDIT: It's only affecting my PC, not my Mac or iPad, so maybe a false alarm. I'm running a full virus scan on it now :(

Hopefully final EDIT: I am officially an airhead, and my anti-virus software is officially a waste of space. It didn't show anything but there were a number of mysterious programs lurking on my hard drive. Removing those, then deleting and reinstalling my browser seems to have fixed the problems.

Now if I could only find out what's going on with the two or three user accounts who have apparently visited my profile around 700 times in the last two days, everything would be great! :D

Which AV scanner did you use ? And which browser ? Don't forget to updagte Java and flash because thy are source of possible infection (adverts mostly but not only).

Edit > Curious ... The lasts visitors haven't posted any message and one of them is clearly a bot.

- http://www.loverslab.com/user/410767-robertmurb/ maybe a bot but seems legit

- http://www.loverslab.com/user/417991-crarseinsorge/ this one is ... special : no message but a lot on profile viewing. Strange ...

- http://www.loverslab.com/user/429141-jeffreyvap/ this one may be a bot (i'm fairly sure) because of his citation

- http://www.loverslab.com/user/425781-eugenesuit/ maybe bot, maybe legit, can't tell ...

- http://www.loverslab.com/user/410574-charlesvony/ the same as above

Change all your passwords after cleaning your PC.

Yeah, that second one is a mystery. Seems to by the far the most common "visitor" to my profile, and has hundreds of profile views of his/her/its own yet when I looked I was the only visitor. I'm pretty creeped out.

AV is Microsoft Security Essentials, Browser Google Chrome.

MSE is good enough, i'm using it on my gaming rig (the other uses Eset Nod32). I don't like Chrome myself and use Firefox (with some useful plugins like WOT). I tend mostly for a Flash or Java issue.

- Clean your PC with MalewareBytes or equivalent (my bet it's a trojan, not a virus). Run this one on full failsafe mode (hit the F5 key on startup).

- Don't forget the AV, just to be sure.

- At the same moment, on your Mac or iPad (your choice) change ALL your passwords for something really different.

Once your PC is made clean, and the different updates are done (Windows, AV, Java and Flash) you'll be safe.

Edit > The user jeffreyvap IS a bot. See by yourself : his profile mentions a "mandalo.net" URL and ... voila !

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that second one is a mystery. Seems to by the far the most common "visitor" to my profile, and has hundreds of profile views of his/her/its own yet when I looked I was the only visitor. I'm pretty creeped out.

AV is Microsoft Security Essentials, Browser Google Chrome.

forget installing anything. don't install anything. If the virii are even slightly vigilant, it won't work.

pick one of these, setup and run it. That's what you want.