How to: SL in VR, step by step tutorial

6 hours ago, assda said:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I just can't get this to work.

Every time a sexlab animation is supposed to play, I'm stuck in the first person view and clipping inside the partner, who's just standing in a static pose.

Audio plays fine, but I can't see any animations.

I'm going to try to help...by throwing a lot of questions at you.  I've been working on getting a stable game going for a few weeks now and have learned a lot.  One of my many, many mods is breaking the game, but I haven't figured out which one yet.  So I've been documenting each step of my process.

How do you have Sexlab set up?  First or Third person?

Did you install SLAL?

Are you using CBBE and do you use Bodyslide studio with it?

Did you run FNIS?

Are you using Vortex?

13 minutes ago, Corysia said:

I'm going to try to help...by throwing a lot of questions at you.  I've been working on getting a stable game going for a few weeks now and have learned a lot.  One of my many, many mods is breaking the game, but I haven't figured out which one yet.  So I've been documenting each step of my process.

How do you have Sexlab set up?  First or Third person?

Did you install SLAL?

Are you using CBBE and do you use Bodyslide studio with it?

Did you run FNIS?

Are you using Vortex?

Yes, I think setting it to 3rd person did something because I got the animations to play, but I'm still stuck in first person mode and my characters hands are bound to the VR controllers so all the animations look weird.

Yes.

Yes, 3BA and Yes.

Yes, but I'm getting an error:
ERROR(53): Could not find file 'F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SkyrimVR\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\temporary_logs\DebugData.txt'.

I have made sure that the path exists and I even created an empty text file there so I don't know what's wrong.

No, I'm using MO2.

45 minutes ago, assda said:

ERROR(53): Could not find file 'F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SkyrimVR\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\temporary_logs\DebugData.txt'.

I have made sure that the path exists and I even created an empty text file there so I don't know what's wrong.

Have you run Skyrim VR once directly from Steam?

2 hours ago, Corysia said:

Have you run Skyrim VR once directly from Steam?

Yes, and I did it again just to make sure. No difference.

Now I tried to reinstall some slal packs and managed to do something that completely broke the skeletons. First person model is glitching all over and the NPCs just stand still on t-pose.

10 minutes ago, assda said:

Yes, and I did it again just to make sure. No difference.

Now I tried to reinstall some slal packs and managed to do something that completely broke the skeletons. First person model is glitching all over and the NPCs just stand still on t-pose.

If you installed XP, be sure you have the Skeleton patch selected.  Don't select any you don't have.

With just Sexlab and Zaz installed, SLAL should report 113 animations plus some number of creature animations.

Also, when you start FNIS, does it look something like this?

FNIS Behavior V7.6 XXL   4/28/2022 5:20:39 PM
Skyrim VR 64bit: 1.4.15.0 - D:\Games\steamapps\common\SkyrimVR\ (Steam)

Skeleton(hkx) female: XPMS2HDT (126 bones)   male: XPMS2HDT (126 bones)
>>Warning: Custom skeleton found. Select SKELETON patch.<<
FNIS.ini InstantExecute=1
FNIS.ini RedirectFiles=D:\Games\Vortex\skyrimvr\FNIS Data (Caoimhe)

9 hours ago, Corysia said:

Also, when you start FNIS, does it look something like this?

FNIS Behavior V7.6 XXL   4/28/2022 5:20:39 PM
Skyrim VR 64bit: 1.4.15.0 - D:\Games\steamapps\common\SkyrimVR\ (Steam)

Skeleton(hkx) female: XPMS2HDT (126 bones)   male: XPMS2HDT (126 bones)
FNIS.ini RedirectFiles=D:\Games\Vortex\skyrimvr\FNIS Data (Caoimhe)

FNIS Behavior V7.6 XXL   29.4.2022 12.36.38
Skyrim VR 64bit: 1.4.15.0 - F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SkyrimVR\ (Steam)

Skeleton(hkx) female: XPMS2HDT (126 bones)   male: XPMS2HDT (126 bones)
FNIS.ini RedirectFiles=F:/MO2/mods/FNIS Output

Reading FNISBase V7.6 ...     ChAnims:0     CTD:0,0%     pOpt:0,0%
Reading FNISCreatureVersion V7.0 ...     ChAnims:0     CTD:0,0%     pOpt:0,0%
Reading SexLab V1.64 ...     ChAnims:882     CTD:5,6%     pOpt:1,5%
Reading SexLabAP V1.64 ...     ChAnims:142     CTD:0,9%     pOpt:0,2%
Reading SexLabCreature V1.64 ...     ChAnims:177     CTD:1,2%     pOpt:0,3%
Reading XPMSE V7.2 ...     ChAnims:164(164)     CTD:2,2%     pOpt:0,0%

All Anim Lists scanned. Generating Behavior Files...
Alternate Animation mods: 1 sets: 16 total groups: 30 added file slots: 170 alternate files: 164

Create Creature Behaviors ...
Reading SexLabCreature V1.63 ...

Hmm. For some reason it says "Reading SexLabCreature V1.63 ..." even though I have 1.64 installed. I wonder if that's what's causing the problem. Not having access to the log file doesn't make this any easier to solve.

Edited by assda
15 hours ago, assda said:

Yes, I think setting it to 3rd person did something because I got the animations to play, but I'm still stuck in first person mode and my characters hands are bound to the VR controllers so all the animations look weird.

Yes.

Yes, 3BA and Yes.

No, I'm using MO2.

Try briefly turning off Windows Defender's Real-time protection when you generate FNIS, or add exclusions to GenerateFNISforUsers.exe and possibly the folder where MO2 stores your stuff.

I had that exact same error until I added exclusions to it.

4 hours ago, Skullered said:

Try briefly turning off Windows Defender's Real-time protection when you generate FNIS, or add exclusions to GenerateFNISforUsers.exe and possibly the folder where MO2 stores your stuff.

I had that exact same error until I added exclusions to it.

That did the trick. Now fnis passes without any issues and I'm able to install sexlab again, so I'm basically at the same point as before when I started installing mods. I guess I'll start activating mods and slal packs one by one to see if the animations finally start working. At least now I know how to recover if the skeletons break again.

I have been further able to research the problem by setting sexlab to 3rd person. Roughly 20% of the animations seem not to work. I am currently playing as female and in the non-working animations PC is standing in t-pose and the male (human or creature) is animating correctly. It seems like many (but not all) of the non-working animations have some kind of object involved, like a tree, rock, table, etc. The objects in the animation name do not spawn, I do not know if the issue is that these animations should not be used on random sex scenes but only on specific circumstances on specific location that has the specified object. It is not a single slal pack that is affected, but multiple packs but only partially. Some animations work and some do not.

Edited by assda

Yeah, it's funny about the windows defender thing.  I ended up just adding the folder to the exclusion list.  I'm still trying to get back up to speed with it, and I'm also having the same problem with the PC.  If I remember correctly, it's because you also need the PCEA FNIS plugin,.  I think it's called that, but I also saw another one in my downloads that said something about being I believe "VRIK neutral."

I was just about to try and tackle the problem myself.  Here's the link. FNIS PCEA2 - Player Exclusive Animations (dynamic) SE at Skyrim Special Edition Nexus - Mods and Community (nexusmods.com)

10 hours ago, TopDogCat said:

Yeah, it's funny about the windows defender thing.  I ended up just adding the folder to the exclusion list.  I'm still trying to get back up to speed with it, and I'm also having the same problem with the PC.  If I remember correctly, it's because you also need the PCEA FNIS plugin,.  I think it's called that, but I also saw another one in my downloads that said something about being I believe "VRIK neutral."

I was just about to try and tackle the problem myself.  Here's the link. FNIS PCEA2 - Player Exclusive Animations (dynamic) SE at Skyrim Special Edition Nexus - Mods and Community (nexusmods.com)

I installed FNIS PCEA2 and now I get an error message when I start the game "FNIS PCEA2 not found by FNIS" and no MCM menu appears. No change on what animations work or not.

Edited by assda
6 hours ago, assda said:

I installed FNIS PCEA2 and now I get an error message when I start the game "FNIS PCEA2 not found by FNIS" and no MCM menu appears. No change on what animations work or not.

Seems like I got that error before I fixed the permission problem.  I haven't checked it yet, but I will do so later on today.  The other mod I believed I was using is this. 

Neutral VR Animations for VRIK and PCEA2 at Skyrim Special Edition Nexus - Mods and Community (nexusmods.com).

I also may be thinking of the FlowerGirl first-person issue.   I'm also thinking it seemed like it was an issue with the bones.  Yes some of the animations are also just bad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This guide has been great to help me get Skyrim VR up, although getting Sexlab to see papryusutil.ddl was a fine art in itself (still not sure how it eventually did see it) but I now have it up and running so thanks @prinyo for this.

I have a couple of questions though.

1.) I'm using VRIK so I can see my whole body which works great however I like to play skyrim sitting down and when I look down it's as though my body is further back from my head too much, I'd like it so I don't have to look down a full 90 degrees but more natural. Are there any optimal settings in VRIK that people use?  

2.) Secondly In Skyrim LE there used to be a mod (IFPV I believe) where you could change your character into first person view and visibly see the straps of a harness gag contoured around your knows and partially blocking your eye vision, but the key thing is that you were aware you were wearing it. 

As yet I haven't found any settings (again within VRIK) that brings the vision/settings that makes those straps visible. I did get as far as improving the vision for seeing a welded bolt on the front of a collar around your neck and a nose ring but anymore extreme and you start seeing your characters mouth and teeth. So again, wondered if anyone has any optimal settings in VRIK or an alternative mod that shows restraints visible on the head of your character.

I guess I could see if the IFPV mod works in VR, there is a SE version but but haven't had the same success in SE that I did in LE so before I do that just wondering if anyone else has a solution? 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on getting skyrimVR working with SL for days at this point. I have followed this guide with a fresh install and at one point it worked however now whenever I try to enable SL in MCM it crashes to desktop. I have worked with a fresh install following the guide after this and still it will not stop. I only have the needed mods downloaded and two visual mods. I have been loading into the main menu and waiting for the mcm stuff to load. I then back out of the main menu so I can walk around and access McM. Once I get into mcm and try to click on sl boom CTD. Plz help haha

@cody99999222 Although I didn't suffer CTD with Sexlab I did have a lot of issues getting it to find Papryusutil.dll - So I would try and install, it would go through the motions, and then just go back to install again.

When you go into Sexlab the first time check on the left that all the dependencies have been found. Any with an X then you'll have a problem.

The config I have .. versions wise (if this helps) are

SexlabFrameworkSSE_V163_BETA8 

SL VRPatch Beta8 38 - test

SL VRPatch hotfix for v38

Papyrus Extender 5.0.3

Papyrus Extender VR 5.0.3.1

PaprysUtil VR - Scripting Utility Functions 3.6b

VRIK V0.8.1 In-Dev Build 28

XP32 Maximum Skeleton Special Extended (XPMSE) v4.80

Skyrim Script Extender VR (SKSEVR) 2.0.12

16 hours ago, cody99999222 said:

I dont know how to do what you are speaking of checking dependencies and such.

No worries, I probably wasn't too clear - Check when you're running the game that you can go to Sexlab in the Configuration Menu and when you select it, it might say it's not currently installed but on the left hand side it lists all the dependencies of files it needs to find. In my case it couldn't find papyrusutil.dll (even though installed) and therefore it wouldn't install at all. 

If it's CTD'ing as soon as you select Sexlab in the config menu, and assuming you can select others in the MCM OK, would probably suggest the framework in having an issue. Maybe try and Uninstall and install again, once you have all the other mods in place. 

I've had a look at your list compared to mine and the only real differences I can see

I have Papyrus Extender VR (5.0.3.1) installed in addition to PapyrusUtil VR

I'm using Racemenu Special edition v0.4.16  in addition to Racemenu VR 0.4.14

I'm using VR Address Library 0.33.0

I'm using VRIK v0.8.1 In-Dev Build 28 (you have test build? No idea if they are different)

I would additionally add Higgs 1.5.6 , Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch and 'Skyrim VR USSEP 4.2.2 and SSE 1.5.97 Compatibility patch'  as well (Can't remember where I read, but you should install them)

I have a feeling Sexlab installs PapyrusUtil.dll itself so you need to ensure the PapyrusUtil VR version installs after. Unfortunately I've just moved to Vortex and it seems to like to control the order, so if you get the option to say what loads before and after, suggest the papyrusUtil VR is loaded after sexlab. 

I noticed a few of your mods say Anniversary edition - As far as I can tell the VR version is built off SSE and I don't believe the VR itself was upgraded to AE so I, personally, wouldn't think that any of the AE edition mods would be 100% compatible - I'd suggest sticking with the SSE versions at least until you get it running to your satisfaction, then you can see what happens if/when you add those ones.

If you do get success! (fingers crossed) - I'd also suggest getting VRIK Actions 0.2.1 which has just been released as it helps with when your player movement is being controlled by a NPC as both your head and body (as long as the body is pointing in the right direction) move together rather than the previous being stuck in a single place. 

On 6/14/2022 at 8:02 AM, jc321 said:

No worries, I probably wasn't too clear - Check when you're running the game that you can go to Sexlab in the Configuration Menu and when you select it, it might say it's not currently installed but on the left hand side it lists all the dependencies of files it needs to find. In my case it couldn't find papyrusutil.dll (even though installed) and therefore it wouldn't install at all. 

If it's CTD'ing as soon as you select Sexlab in the config menu, and assuming you can select others in the MCM OK, would probably suggest the framework in having an issue. Maybe try and Uninstall and install again, once you have all the other mods in place. 

I've had a look at your list compared to mine and the only real differences I can see

I have Papyrus Extender VR (5.0.3.1) installed in addition to PapyrusUtil VR

I'm using Racemenu Special edition v0.4.16  in addition to Racemenu VR 0.4.14

I'm using VR Address Library 0.33.0

I'm using VRIK v0.8.1 In-Dev Build 28 (you have test build? No idea if they are different)

I would additionally add Higgs 1.5.6 , Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch and 'Skyrim VR USSEP 4.2.2 and SSE 1.5.97 Compatibility patch'  as well (Can't remember where I read, but you should install them)

I have a feeling Sexlab installs PapyrusUtil.dll itself so you need to ensure the PapyrusUtil VR version installs after. Unfortunately I've just moved to Vortex and it seems to like to control the order, so if you get the option to say what loads before and after, suggest the papyrusUtil VR is loaded after sexlab. 

I noticed a few of your mods say Anniversary edition - As far as I can tell the VR version is built off SSE and I don't believe the VR itself was upgraded to AE so I, personally, wouldn't think that any of the AE edition mods would be 100% compatible - I'd suggest sticking with the SSE versions at least until you get it running to your satisfaction, then you can see what happens if/when you add those ones.

If you do get success! (fingers crossed) - I'd also suggest getting VRIK Actions 0.2.1 which has just been released as it helps with when your player movement is being controlled by a NPC as both your head and body (as long as the body is pointing in the right direction) move together rather than the previous being stuck in a single place. 

Thank you for the reply I will try some changes today and update!

32 minutes ago, cody99999222 said:

@jc321 I made those changes and still getting CTD unfortunately. I also get this error saying script extender plugin errors I will post screenshot. I have been ignoring them because I installed the papyrus that the guide says and I have skseVR so I dont need skee64 I thought. 

grab.PNG

Final update. I paid attention to the errors being thrown in FNIS and realized that the creature pack I had installed was not compatible with VR. I removed it and no more crashes. Then like  jc321 I had the issue with Papyrus not showing on dependencies in MCM. All I did was install Pap again and Papyrus vr patch and then papyrusutil vr. I then went into manage rules in vortex and made sure that the vr patches and such were being loaded after SL. Thank you all for the help and if anyone is reading this and needs more help dm me or tag me. 

On 6/16/2022 at 9:18 PM, cody99999222 said:

@jc321 I made those changes and still getting CTD unfortunately. I also get this error saying script extender plugin errors I will post screenshot. I have been ignoring them because I installed the papyrus that the guide says and I have skseVR so I dont need skee64 I thought. 

grab.PNG

You need to delete skee64.dll and skee64.ini after you install Papyrus VR.  They are conflicting with skeevr.dll and skeevr.ini

Edited by Corysia