X-Edit: Applications and Patches for Beth Games

First thing I will try to cover is patches.

How many times have you downloaded a mod or two for a Bethesda game and then played the game to find that some things the mod is supposed to include ain't there? A new weapon for Piper in FO4 doesn't appear? A different outfit for Jordis in Skyrim isn't showing? A new hairdo for Veronica in FNV is missing?

These are conflicts, people!!

Almost all the time. One exception is that items and usage in the game are being controlled through scripts. The mod author should tell you this in the mod description. Usually they include ways to adjust the settings for the mod. But for the most part, problems like missing items in game mean a conflict. NOT ALL CONFLICTS ARE BAD, though. In fact, longer mod lists will have mods that need to overwrite others in order to function correctly. Having all 'green' across the board is not necessarily a good thing to have. While MM's (mod managers) tools today can detect conflicts and notify you of them, it is really up to you sometimes to determine whether a patch is needed or just maybe an adjustment in load order or nothing at all if LO seems optimal. Best thing to do if you're unsure is to read up on the mods and ask questions.

So first: What Causes Conflicts? All Bethesda games use the "Rule of One" in their record loading. What this means is that the last change to a record is what will appear or be used in game. Let's say you have two mods that make changes to the same record. For instance, lets say you have mod "A" that changes the hair of Jordis in Skyrim and Mod "B" that changes her weapon. If mod B is loaded after mod A, then only the new weapon will appear in game. This is where a patch is needed. As stated above though, some records need to overwrite others in order for some mods to work and trying to patch them is probably a bad idea. Must be determined on a case by case basis by the user since all our load orders/mod lists are different.

You could pester the mod authors of the mods to make a patch for you, but it would be simpler for you to make your own. I will explain how;

1) You need to download the appropriate X-Edit for the Bethesda game you are playing. FO4Edit for FO4, TESVEdit for Skyrim, FNVEdit for FNV, TES4Edit for Oblivion, etc. These are always placed in the same file as your game's exe.

2) Run X-Edit as Admin. just to bypass any security issues. Load ALL your mods- check the boxes for every esp that you want to use in your game. Sometimes you will see the game esm. unchecked- don't worry about it. It will load because it has to. In this example, I am loading my files for Oblivion-

60558834_Screenshot(175).png.e4782eb1da4a3fea3515a90c509df277.png

2) The reason for loading all my plug-ins is so I can see ALL conflicts. The way you check for conflicts is to click anywhere in the left hand column and right click. This will open a drop-down list of options;

1709491305_Screenshot(176).png.6c68d6090efc02052ed18b6a6f930471.png

3) Choose "Apply Filter to show Conflicts". This will show a list of all your plug-ins that are being overwritten. Here, you can see that the Immersive Weapons mod is conflicting with my new plug-in titled "HairPatch". The plug-ins in Red indicate that record(s) in those plug-ins are being overwritten. The ones that are Orange are "Winning" because they load after the other plug-ins. Pink indicates esm's or "Master Files" that cannot be changed directly. In other words you cannot edit the records in esm files.

941080_Screenshot(177).png.4231c95e9deac06cda08f2bfd29fcbb5.png

4) See what the specific conflicts are. Here I open the subcategories of the "Immersive Weapons.esp" so I can find the records being overwritten;

1545803856_Screenshot(179).png.f162fd764b3e69b6fc00a6ab40dc1bac.png

5) Two weapons that should be added to this npc are being overwritten by the next plug-in. Now, you could sometimes correct this by adjusting your load order. Often, though, it will just cause conflicts somewhere else......and the fix is easy. You simply drag those two changes into your patch, answering "yes" if asked to add the mod as a master.

1191411933_Screenshot(182).png.701c8aee14e7a41ecd9e523cdb8b85b3.png

6) There! You have just made a patch for your mods. To save the changes, just close out the program and X-Edit will ask if you want to save. Make sure the mods you made changes to are check-marked.

1957351293_Screenshot(183).png.6919f106318eb0748c799276e12d9e0d.png

Oh, and don't forget to give ElminsterAU some love for creating and maintaining this! If you have questions or a problem with making a patch for one of these games, then just ask and I'll try to help since I have patched most of them. ?

Edited by KoolHndLuke

Learning how to xedit is one of the best things I ever did for myself as a consumer of mods. Eventually, things are going to bump heads.

For part 2, perhaps a lesson in reassigning equipment slots, and why you'll probably need NifSkope. :) That stumped me for a while.

4 hours ago, Pork Type said:

NifSkope.

I'm still learning why and how to use this, so I couldn't really give any info on it. But, I'm all ears if you would like to. :thumbsup:

Changing the equipment slots for stuff is easy in X-edit, but I don't know how to always make them work (appear in game). Like I was using a mod that switches jewelry to use the shield slot in Oblivion, but it didn't work for me. Incidentally, I discovered how to make invisible clothing and armor! :classic_tongue:

On 8/2/2019 at 9:21 AM, KoolHndLuke said:

I'm still learning why and how to use this, so I couldn't really give any info on it. But, I'm all ears if you would like to. :thumbsup:

Changing the equipment slots for stuff is easy in X-edit, but I don't know how to always make them work (appear in game). Like I was using a mod that switches jewelry to use the shield slot in Oblivion, but it didn't work for me. Incidentally, I discovered how to make invisible clothing and armor! :classic_tongue:

I've got you covered. :thumbsup: Give me 15-20 minutes. I made a bunch of screenshots earlier tonight, in order to provide structure for a posting.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to go over how X-Edit can clean your mods and help to find errors in your game files. Believe it or not, Beth game files are very DIRTY and have ERRORS *Gasp*!! Some mods from authors are cleaned using X-Edit, but many of them aren't or they used an older version of X-Edit to do so. The way to clean files in X-Edit has changed since the beginning of the year. Here's a vid showing how to clean your files-

After cleaning your mods, it's a good idea to check for errors and fix them if you can. Mod errors can cause all kinds of shit in your game depending on what type of error it is. But the one that will do the most damage is this; "< Error: Could not be resolved >". If you check a mod and see that error, then you need to do something about it. 

The FIRST thing you should try to do is clean the mod. The deleted references may be restored. Going through a mod I recently installed to find what was causing me problems I found this error in about a dozen records. Sometimes cleaning the mod will restore those missing refs, but not always. Here is what I did;

First I loaded all my mods I'm using. Then I right click on the mod that's giving me trouble and check for errors.

2069349182_Screenshot(199).png.25ccc0bf3b86275abb367fc8018df309.png

It will show all the errors in that mod and what type they are.

1140893235_Screenshot(201).png.ad018a76cd88ecdb03f126eb99d2e6c0.png

Now I go back into the mod and find those records with the errors.

1198348049_Screenshot(198).png.d1becb9cd9f6916f21343daa56cb1463.png

Sometimes you can correct them, but in this case I can't because I don't know what is being referenced (and can't guess either). So I can either remove the mod OR I can just delete the parts of the records with the errors.

166792803_Screenshot(202).png.fdef174a994321674e879ee2558488f4.png

Now that the mods are clean and have fewer errors, my game should run much more stable and smooth. Note that if you verify your game files through Steam, it will put all those dirty edits and errors back in- so you will need to do the process over.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, the subject I will share my knowledge about today is merging esps. Please note that this info is mostly outdated and is the old way of merging plugins. For an updated tutorial- watch this video by GamerPoets:

I think any of us that have been installing mods in our games have run into the plug-in limit at least once or twice. By merging esps, you can quickly and easily free up a esp slot. I'll show two ways that I know of here;

1) The first way is by using a special script in X-Edit that you need to download separately and install. I'll use Skyrim as an example since I have merged more mods in it. Here I am selecting the two esps that I want to merge into one new plug-in;

240122142_Screenshot(205).png.02bd29f1bbe892df2640242c8da924f0.png

I load those two plugins and then right-click on one of them to select apply script.

1082261831_Screenshot(206).png.19b6c4327bcd76ac54e36e0dc55c8897.png

Next, I will pick the merge script from the list that I have installed.

1362940262_Screenshot(207).png.a0985e942a999b750adb2d4cb0bc843a.png

Check the two mods you want to merge.

1799845541_Screenshot(208).png.f0baccd7ab4d816bd65833c53323506c.png

Give the new esp a name.

1084736127_Screenshot(209).png.4f96a1bb38e01986ae4ff0a441e4a135.png

Press ok and let it run. It will produce a new esp with the contents from both the old mods. You will want to check it for errors to see if everything worked right. Now close out X-edit and test in game to make sure. That's it for this way.

42672346_Screenshot(210).png.d1b1e443fcefddb30a257b16e39dc238.png

2) The second way is something I learned watching another modder's vid. It's what I like to call a fast and dirty merge. Here I just copy the contents of mod into one lower in the list.

Now the thing to remember about doing it this way is that the simpler the mod, the more likely this will work. If the mod has scripts for instance, YOU DO NOT DO THIS!!! This is more for simple clothing mods that add a esp to your overpopulated list just to put in a few new outfits.

Again I load the two mods I want to merge. You select all the contents of the higher mod (control+a) and copy as override into the lower mod. It will ask you if you want to make the mod a master. Check yes. Then close out X-Edit and save.

55017953_Screenshot(211).png.5e563f84ae49371ec21b74fc324e56d7.png 

Now load the same two mods again and click on the header for the lower mod. Go to where it list the masters and right click on the space just above the Fang Outfit mod. Choose remove master. Then close out X-Edit and save. Now reload JUST the one esp that you made the changes in and check for errors. Note that this way of doing a merge is not going to work sometimes. Like I said, it works for simple mods the best.

754791619_Screenshot(215).png.815673791dad23c46205051df4c0406f.png

As you can see, I'm not showing any errors in this esp. It should be safe to run as is.

988397876_Screenshot(217).png.15d0b0b53643f2b7c855b44ffaaf61eb.png

And there you go. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them based on my limited experience. Or someone else more knowledgeable might answer. Cheers! :cool:

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this. I need to come back to this when/if I ever have some time.

I would love to go back to when I spent some time (months) building my custom Skyrim. I made it look almost as good as any post render capture using nothing more than a 970. I can't get that same results again without serious work. That only covered the graphics and replacers. having the ability to merge and fix conflicts is what i need to move on from that point. Perhaps doing so will get me back to playing the game.

What happens. I go and play. Get interested and enjoying myself. Have a story concept playing the character and then ... missing something or something is broke. I have to leave to find a fix. work try , maybe even fix it... go back ... play.. loose interest.  Stop playing ... 9 months later.. get inspiration rinse and repeat.. (except now I remember the last time and stop pretty quickly)

Edit:

Damn this is a good thread. (had a chance to look more details and others posting) I don't think I have posted so many likes on a single thread in a very, very long time :D  All good stuff. Excellent. I like where this is going!  ?

On 9/10/2019 at 1:17 AM, stingray1995 said:

adding my input to this:  you're going through way too many non-conflicted records in there, and in result, adding much more time to find and solve these conflicts. hiding no-conflict rows and changing the column widths are also paramount for more simplicity.

I made a guide on this said 'custom filter', I will link to this page if I'm allowed to so. let me know.

I'm still trying to figure the ins and outs of posting on here, for instance, sticky posts on the first page, so I can place this guide somewhere more convenient than on the third page of my topic.

Since you started that thread you should be able to go back to your first post and hit the "Edit" button. It will be in the bottom left hand corner of your post. You can then add material to your very first post, including this link.

On 9/10/2019 at 7:17 AM, stingray1995 said:

I'm still trying to figure the ins and outs of posting on here, for instance, sticky posts on the first page, so I can place this guide somewhere more convenient than on the third page of my topic.

Maybe create your own blog and make it a seperate blog post :classic_happy:

And you should use tags to make it easy to search&find it.

Oh, and perhaps have this thread moved to "Tutorials & Guides" https://www.loverslab.com/forum/29-tutorials-guides/ ? ?

It might get lost here in the general discussion section, but sounds very much like I would browse for it in the "guides" section.

1 hour ago, stingray1995 said:

Actually I've been trying to keep this topic of mine alive.  It was placed under General Discussion in Skyrim due to the fact that a wide area of subjects have been discussed in it, but I try to keep it all relative to xEdit and what can be done to Skyrim inside this program.

Now I placed it in Skyrim General only because that's the only Bethesda game I've been playing for quite a while.  I was playing Fallout 3/New Vegas for some time in the past and the same theories can be applied to it, but these two Fallout games just seem to hate Windows 10 or my system for some reason.  it's just constant problems;  those games are buggy as hell even without mods.

Try working with a moderator to set something up and help guide you. @DoctaSax really likes tutorials and guides. Helped me with my first real heavy one (SCR Resources) Perhaps you can get something done with that.

2 hours ago, stingray1995 said:

these two Fallout games just seem to hate Windows 10 or my system for some reason.  it's just constant problems;  those games are buggy as hell even without mods.

You just have to look/dig for fixes and stuff. I don't do much in FO4 anymore because of CC. Windows updates fuck with my FNV game every once in awhile, but I run all these games on Win10 since I really didn't know any better when I bought the pc some years ago.

Speaking of Win updates fucking up my os/games, I was going to cover another subject for X-edit the other day and found that the latest update changed how I could take screenshots. So, I had to spend some time disabling that shit and then lost interest in what I was going to do. It is going to cover making "hat hair" in games using X-edit and BS. I'll try to get it done this weekend. :classic_tongue:

2 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

You just have to look/dig for fixes and stuff. I don't do much in FO4 anymore because of CC. Windows updates fuck with my FNV game every once in awhile, but I run all these games on Win10 since I really didn't know any better when I bought the pc some years ago.

Speaking of Win updates fucking up my os/games, I was going to cover another subject for X-edit the other day and found that the latest update changed how I could take screenshots. So, I had to spend some time disabling that shit and then lost interest in what I was going to do. It is going to cover making "hat hair" in games using X-edit and BS. I'll try to get it done this weekend. :classic_tongue:

That shit happens to me often when I try to mod my game or do something gamewise. Either Windows, the game, an update to the game, an update to a particular mod, (which sets a cascade of updates for others) or a group of mods (which would take hours) etc etc. I guess I just don't have the interest or the patience to deal with this anymore or at least not as much as I have had in  the past.

3 hours ago, stingray1995 said:

Oh, you guys are preaching to the choir on that one; Windows 10 updates always love to fuck something up in one way or another.  I'm so frigging sick of it.  I finally managed to get the 1903 feature update installed last week, but not through lack of trying.  It was conflicting with something in my MSI MB (I think the intel chips) so I had to pull a last resort and update the BIOS.  Fortunately it worked, but it's a gamble everytime Windows 10 throws an update at you; just another one of the many reasons people hate it so much.

There are occasions where a device that is installed on a computer isn't qualified or has issues with the update. If it is a desktop you can remove all those hardware except what is absolutely needed and try an update. I heard about this from a tech. Apparently a NEW computer was shipped from the manufacture AS IS NO ALTERATIONS and couldn't get an update. Wonder what the fix was? They sent out new nic cards to replace the ones installed in the computer. I am not shitting you. I can't make this shit up.  Instead of waiting for an update .. or such. they just replaced the issue. I don't know how much time it took for them to figure out what was causing the dam problem.

Disclaimer..

Spoiler

this was when windows 7 was still the main OS and windows 10 was just rolling out with its first few updates. Some hardware didn't have the updates or such needed to run properly from the hard ware manufacture. Some were updated from Win7 to Win10 on the fly (not fully tested or verified by the company producing the computer.

2 hours ago, stingray1995 said:

When I first set up my computer, I made the mistake of installing all of these third party MSI desktop applications (Command Center, Gaming App, etc.) basically shortcuts to overclock and control fan speeds.  I stopped using them because I got the major impression that they were clashing with Windows updates, and maybe even NVIDIA driver updates.  One other thing that has never worked with my machine is a very hidden feature in the Control Panel power options called 'Fast Startup (Recommended)'  whenever Windows gets freshly installed, this is on by default and it was giving me random BSODs on boot.

I use portable installations at every opportunity, stored on my separate drive.  I love portable installations and everyone else should too.  

iTunes on Windows?  Don't even get me started.  It's like malware, pretty much Apple's way of degrading a Windows machine faster with the hope that the affected person will buy a Mac machine faster.

Also, anyone who has their Windows install on an SSD should be going into services and disabling 'SysMain' (prefetch/superfetch); has to be turned off in the registry too.  Basically this is not needed on an SSD and wears its lifespan down (talk about depressing).

Last thing I'm wondering about:  How many peeps out there are using third party antivirus on Win10?  In my opinion, Defender gets the job done; it has been massively overhauled and has always protected me; all of the features any popular antivirus would have and best of all it's non-intrusive.  Adding an exclusion to your Steam folder, or at least the finicky Bethesda game folders is a good idea too, same with the ENB exe (forgot what else off the top of my head).  I have never used anything like Mcafee or Norton on Win10.  I think it's a big mistake because I can picture a major clash with Defender if using two antiviruses.

Two antiviruses?  That's just overkill; don't get on dangerous sites and use ad/popup blockers.  I like Nano for Edge, which by the way, I think is a great internet browser; blazingly fast, now you can apparently block all cookies with it in 1903, but of course that's going to reduce the ability to get on a lot of sites; just block third party (seems to be working for me).  I find myself using Edge more than Explorer and most definitely more than Chrome. 

That's all.

I use a clean install on a custom computer. I don't have "third party" applications. I use the drivers from the chip set (not from the manufacture most of the time) and the windows default controls (for WIFI and other stuff)  and use Open source applications where ever possible like VLC.

Don't use Apple products unless i have to for a project then I remove it and clean the system. Not important enough to use a VM

If you use portable applications, check Dockers. https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/10998-get-started-docker-windows-10.html

Has the separation you desire. I believe even more so. Kind of like VM but without the bloat and only focused on the app used.

I use third party antivirus.  I do so as any hacker knows about Defender and if they want, they can develop for that. I don't have to have exclusions for the app I use it works and hasn't given me any issues.  you are correct, you can't use two antivirus if they are running (active protection) at the same time. YOu can from what I have heard use another one to scan the system if you need to as a manual system. (after turning off the main one ) I could be wrong, never needed that. If it come to that I would be scanning the drive as a slave from another system. (linux :P) to clean it out.

Edge is Ok, Chrome, Firefox all fine. Just don't use Explorer except for those occasions where you have to (I have to for work as there are some pages that are legacy that haven't been updated (and likely won't) for Edge or any newer browser.  Explorer isn't a mainstream browser and might not even be fully supported anymore. I consider it a risk myself to use.  use a fully updated and supported browser from an open source (preferably) or at least from a provider like Safari for apple (apple users) and Edge for windows (of you must :P)

@KoolHndLuke sorry for the derail, my bad. forgot what thread I was on ?

• 1 month later...

Honestly Xedit has helped me find so many load errors where as before I have to do that one plugin at a time, With over 200 that took literally days. Even though I have it so one should load after the other in Vortex I've had Missing walls, missing textures, Walls where the mod should have gotten rid of them, items that should be weightless adding hundreds of lbs because something like Better Goodneighbor or LOST patches was overriding Vis-G and it counts paint cans as 5. Good luck trying to find a settlement to ditch junk into a chest when you carrying 1147 lbs.

Really useful when i just needed to edit weights out because I prefer food and Junk to be weightless and a new mod I really like just added 25 lbs because I keep cartons of Cigarettes for trade or made apple sauce.

On 11/13/2019 at 4:34 AM, Citrakite said:

Honestly Xedit has helped me find so many load errors where as before I have to do that one plugin at a time, With over 200 that took literally days. Even though I have it so one should load after the other in Vortex I've had Missing walls, missing textures, Walls where the mod should have gotten rid of them, items that should be weightless adding hundreds of lbs because something like Better Goodneighbor or LOST patches was overriding Vis-G and it counts paint cans as 5. Good luck trying to find a settlement to ditch junk into a chest when you carrying 1147 lbs.

Really useful when i just needed to edit weights out because I prefer food and Junk to be weightless and a new mod I really like just added 25 lbs because I keep cartons of Cigarettes for trade or made apple sauce.

I always cheat with the player.modavcarryweight command (if I didn't just commit a syntax error there). But adjusting damage, weight, type of ammo or many other things can be pretty fun in x-edit. I figured out how completely rebalance weapons and armor in my games using it because it seems most weapon and armor mods either completely op stuff or make it too weak.

On 11/16/2019 at 2:28 AM, KoolHndLuke said:

I always cheat with the player.modavcarryweight command (if I didn't just commit a syntax error there). But adjusting damage, weight, type of ammo or many other things can be pretty fun in x-edit. I figured out how completely rebalance weapons and armor in my games using it because it seems most weapon and armor mods either completely op stuff or make it too weak.

I'm a backwards child so I didn't even know that was a thing. TBF I forgot there was a kill all hostiles so when I'd have save hiccups cost me hours I just redid quests having to kill the same idiots for an hour then go it again. Lost 12 hours due a switch from my dead HD to a SSD except this time walked it, KOH, oh done, Quick traveled back to hand it in. Honestly commands and utilities are a god send because this game seem intend on wasting your time by making you do shit over because the save went bad or the doorway didn't like you as you left so CTD.

15 hours ago, Citrakite said:

Honestly commands and utilities are a god send because this game seem intend on wasting your time by making you do shit over because the save went bad or the doorway didn't like you as you left so CTD.

Don't forget that if you are playing survival you can save your game anytime you want by typing "save x"- with x being whatever you want. I sort of shuffle through a-h or something on my saves between sleeping......and it has helped me not to waste time doing whole days all over again. Another one is "openactorcontainer" so you can target and change what anyone is wearing. I think that command works in several games.

• 3 months later...

Figured out how to make my "fast and dirty" merge of esps work without screwing shit up I think. Copy records as override into your patch making the mod a master to your patch. Now copy those same records into your patch as NEW records giving them a slightly different editor id. Remove the overrides you made first and then clean masters for you patch. Done. Haven't tested it thoroughly, but it has worked fine so far.

2 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Figured out how to make my "fast and dirty" merge of esps work without screwing shit up I think. Copy records as override into your patch making the mod a master to your patch. Now copy those same records into your patch as NEW records giving them a slightly different editor id. Remove the overrides you made first and then clean masters for you patch. Done. Haven't tested it thoroughly, but it has worked fine so far.

As a note/addition to this: You don't need to 'manually' give them a different editor id. Just mass select all the ones you want to change, (probably all of them), then right click and select "Change formID." then select the module you override them into from the list given in the popup dialog. (it copes with links and everything, eg from ARMO to ARMA records, etc..).

58 minutes ago, spoonsinger said:

As a note/addition to this: You don't need to 'manually' give them a different editor id. Just mass select all the ones you want to change, (probably all of them), then right click and select "Change formID." then select the module you override them into from the list given in the popup dialog. (it copes with links and everything, eg from ARMO to ARMA records, etc..).

Theoretically, one could merge all their mods into one esp. I read somewhere a person claiming to have done just that with a full mod list (didn't believe it though). I'd like to ask them how they resolved all their conflicts. I guess this is how a few people have been able to use insane numbers of mods in their games- I heard one person claim something like 600-700.

AS I understand it .. eventually you are a mod author.. you have to do so m any changes and redirects and script corrects you end up having a completely8 different mod (at least the scripts and such) if you merge everything to gether.

However, you really can't.. as I understand it .. because there are only so many records that can be accessed and other maximums that can be used. Just like there are things you have to have an eSM for to get to work properly.. there are so many things running and such at one time in one esp for it to work properly.

however, generally, that shouldn't be necessary.. for the common and some uncommon mod users.. a few group mods for specific task and such should be enough. keep in mind that the more you merge and have to change the IDs and such.. the more further away from the mod you get. The more you have to alter and change each and every update the author does to get it to work with your system. NOt fun and a shit ton of work (even small scale in many cases)

• 5 months later...

Hat hair- you know you want it! I'll show you how

For FO4

You will need BodySlide (Outfit Studio), Nifskope, BSA Browser (or similar) and of course FO4Edit. This will take some time, but once you do it, things get easier.

The way I usually start is by going in game and writing down the name of the hair I want to use. Exit game (qqq). 

enb2020_8_25_09_50_07.png.69130139e3ac10199e418d9d29c47525.png

Now open BodySlide Outfit Studio and find that hair nif in your game files.

Spoiler

2020_08.25-09_59.png.2d16ef2c2164b04aa80b6db75c7b2fa6.png2020_08.25-10.00_01.png.b3d5bb9960fc16d9149404e06d96bd85.png2020_08.25-10_01.png.69a43b18ed1aff2159ac438a2f6baa94.png

Now find the hat nif and load it as a reference (don't think it really matters).

*Note that you may need to extract the hat mesh from the meshes bsa depending on what you want to use. I use BSA Browser for that. Here's how

Open BSA Browser and you should see this-

Spoiler

2020_08.25-10_29.png.b20792190cbbf705cfd956841ffec35b.png

Select open archive and navigate to your FO4 data folder, scroll down to the meshes bsa and select it

Spoiler

2020_08.25-10_30.png.78d0386a64ef7ceeb7ba68a384b9ae4a.png

Scroll down the list and select the hat you need (I just copy them all so I have them)

Spoiler

2020_08.25-10.50_01.png.f21668497050de8f396d897117d69e42.png

Right click and select extract then navigate to data/meshes/clothes/hats (create the folder if not there)

Spoiler

2020_08.25-10_50.png.08f788d7a535467ea53591fdf6fe9adb.png

Now that you have your hat meshes, go back into Outfit Studio and load the hat nif as a reference (I don't think it matters really)

Spoiler

2020_08.25-11_05.png.20f63d1999fe2dcb121be3b00c16e001.png

Great. What you're going to do here is shrink the hair under the hat- just where the hat clips and no more. Make sure the hair is what you have selected when doing this. If you mess up, just undo it.

Spoiler

2020_08.25-11_08.png.92ca5e44d13b40b6689be16d318afd0a.png2020_08.25-11_09.png.594abc2428baa330ac60ee01d3beb237.png2020_08.25-11.09_01.png.0a34b55545bd57a70514d17a6dea97ee.png

When finished, select the hair and export without reference

Spoiler

2020_08.25-11_10.png.e39685a94d9a698c1b9f636b338b177a.png

check the box to keep hair physics. Then navigate to the hair click on it and add HAT in the name and save it.

Spoiler

2020_08.25-11_11.png.de7c50e1edc090d3320e6f6978837633.png

You're done with OS. Now on to Nifskope- really easy btw as all you do here is update face normals. In Nifskope, click NiNode so the mesh turns green, and right click mesh->face normals and save. Exit.

Spoiler

2020_08.25-11_26.png.3c52d4d7f196bd52ce2f28bcac573212.png

On to FO4Edit (X-Edit). Open your hair plugin (mod) and go to the hair you used. Right click on it and choose create new record, use the name there and add "Hat" to the end and save it back into the same esp (plugin).

Spoiler

2020_08.25-11_32.png.a3e63e3a1a6f77c3b1e4f4587e9b5201.png2020_08.25-11.32_01.png.a256106571a0d336fe5fdd90f5e9e13a.png

Now find the hat you used (if it's not there, then look in the base game files) Copy it.

Spoiler

2020_08.25-11_38.png.ab52d27209d5f103c646526546a0b900.png

Now go back to your new hair entry and to the section called extra part. Add a new entry and paste the hat ref in there. Before you save and exit you need to give the new hathair a name so it shows up on the list in game!!!!!!

Spoiler

2020_08.25-11_42.png.7cfd4774c17125f240ffc2ed661a6859.png2020_08.25-11.42_01.png.91759caa9552913d22d8020a7625b7d8.png2020_08.25-11.42_02.png.215a107aabea5089539305be6979245d.png2020_08.25-11_43.png.fd136158c54824323b90f8577d6a347a.png2020_08.25-11_50.png.9f9d2540a32f84ad35c49aa08fb23347.png

Now you need to edit the name of the nif the record is looking for in your game folder.

Spoiler

2020_08.25-12_05.png.b03f0d840e51c764f883090bc91ec50a.png2020_08.25-12_06.png.cec009a3ea7ebcdc5732df384fa2e0bc.png2020_08.25-12.06_01.png.692ffa42eaf1c31d716d8f1082b6530b.png

enb2020_8_25_12_15_35.png.5e327d64eff7b99b0997581ed8a9c016.png

You're done! Go in game and see if your new hat-hair shows and check/adjust clipping by pulling the nif back into OS. I usually have to go back and forth several times to make it look good. Cheers!

I will try to help if you have questions. Will try to add tutorials for Skyrim and FNV soon.