Windows 10 mind of its own..

D_ManXX2

I was busy surfing see that damn pop up windows 10 needs to update i say no what else can i say pop up goes away go to the bathroom come back to my pc and bam windows 10 is still updating wtf part of no dont windows 10 understand ?? i have tried everything to turn it off but somehow still manages to get to update running.

Company sometimes do scammy ass shit like that. I remember back when internet explorer pulled some shit. It updated itself  to a newer version without any warning or consent was very hard to remove. I had a heads up about their little tactic from a site that I used that told you about things to watch out for so I went into updates and turned it off I relayed it to my mother to do the same.

Later she calls stating that her computer has come to a complete crawl and the first thing I asked her was did you turn that fking update off for internet explorer and her reply was no.

So now I had to start searching on how to remove this virus malware like inturdnet explorer. I finally found out where the fuckers hid the shit in a place where it was hard to find so you couldn't remove it as easy. Once I removed it and installed the old one back I went in personally and turned the fucking update off for it.

A zero day leak was found in Edge and Internet Explorer that allows external users to take over your desktop and run programs remotely on your computer. They can do this through banners on website or through fishing emails.

A critical hotfix was released immediately.

I call that service.

You call that something else.

As you know, there are many Linux distros available.

If you hate it so much, don't use it. :P

I know but why give the option to say no even though they still force yes eitherway then they should remove the part that user can say no when an update pops up. atleast then you know you will still get an forced update eitherway i just find it shitty practice if i say no and move away from my pc and only to discover it still made my pc reboot without my consent.

Internet explorer updated because they wanted to force people to go to their newest version even though it was still not out of testing. Their tactic was no better then a virus or malware as they placed it in a place where normal installed stuff doesn't get installed to. I only had internet explorer because at the time it was needed for windows updates.

The windows 10 update was probably just a forced update to force it's users to use the newest version even if they didn't want it.

This is why online gaming is huge no no for me. what if i was playing a game online had to move away from my pc and only discover my pc rebooted and broke my game at the same time? I would have been pretty pissed if i lost all of the progress and did not save and have to do everything all over again.

10 minutes ago, myuhinny said:

Their tactic was no better then a virus or malware as they placed it in a place where normal installed stuff doesn't get installed to

This is a fact malware is installed on your computer if you use any windows platform since the "patriot act" then renewed with the Freedom act  the short of it is you do not own your computer. See my first post the tinfoil hat.... Its not a conspiracy theory if it is true it becomes a conspiracy the facts are there for any who wish to know but most choose not to know.

my way to go:

after the very latest update of windows 7, I unplug my system of the internet ,  and take it as my modding workstation for all times after that O.S.-showdown.

From that time on, I have to use two computers: one MAC-system for the internet and the workstation for modding (both may be communicating by home-network-this isn´t out yet). I don´t see any alternative gateway to this precedure.

I checked win 10 and I had it some minutes, after it became shocking to me, that we are the SLAVE and the internet is the MASTER. YOUR computer becomes the platform for marketing and advertisements of lot of companies, which you never invited or which you never have registered before. And I´m sure that you can not fully switch that away. But win 10 has nearly same performance-in some aspects little better, in others little more worth.

In every case have you to switch OFF the unwanted extras and not to switch them ON. This is the typical way you are made busy: you need to go through the text and scary tree-hidden-new order and menues, hours by hours, until you get the O.S. maybe like you want it to run-maybe. And with little luck, you did not forgot something...and then is appearing the freaking question, what you can let run of your older software !!!

Happy future-world with "SMART-COMPUTING" !!!

(luckily no computer-production-workstation has to be connected to the internet to be working btw. - this makes them also safer)

2 hours ago, FuzzyWonder said:

I still use windows 7 myself and used a edited registry file to tell windows not to update without my permission.

Now with the evil things i hear about windows 10 i refuse to use it until this day.

There must be something out there similar for windows 10 by now

There is.  I Googled it when my Windows 10 pulled this BS, at the worst time for me.  I found a YouTube video on what changes to make in the registry.

If I remember correctly. . . the Google search was "how do I stop Windows 10 from auto updating".

Even doing that is no garnatee microsoft has fail safe every where and any program could potentialy activate the update again in the back ground and reforce the windows update so even with all the registry edit they still will find a way to force the update on again the moment you go online.

This is the worst thing about Windows 10 and Microsoft is going to have to come in off the ledge on this sooner or later.

Is it Win 10 Pro or Home? On Pro, you can tell it to defer updates for a few months or until you're ready (whichever comes first). If it's Home, you're going to need to firewall and disable Windows Update.

Disabling it is very easy: Press Windows Key + R and type services.msc. Scroll to the Windows Update service, stop it, then set it to disabled. Check the Task Scheduler and make sure there aren't any tasks that might be there to restart Windows Update.

Firewalling it is a little trickier. I use Tiny Firewall, which is just a front end to the Windows firewall. By default, Tiny Firewall blocks everything. You don't get bombarded with notices and prompts, things just don't have internet access until you give it permission and it has several ways for you to do that. This is the opposite of how most software firewalls do things, so it's not for everyone, but it's perfect for this situation.

It has a screen for Special Exceptions for various Windows services, including Windows Update. Just uncheck that exception and, even if the service starts running again somehow, it can't do anything. You could also set your connection as "Metered," but that will cause problems if you use an online Windows account on your computer or any Windows Store apps.

You do still need to keep the PC updated. They make those updates for a reason, even if they don't do a very good job of quality control with them. What I do is keep an eye on this blog. It's a "DEFCON" system for whether or not it's safe to patch. It's silly framing, but it's very useful for knowing when and if it's safe to run Windows Update. It's run by a tech columnist who's been around a while and written several books on Windows, so I trust him to know what he's talking about.

You should also very definitely set it not to deliver hardware driver updates. If it gives you a bad driver, something which happens to millions of people every single damn month, you could get stuck in an endless crash, reboot, rollback, update, crash, reboot cycle. I forget how to do that, but you can google it.

On 12/21/2018 at 4:18 PM, lazaurus said:

There is.  I Googled it when my Windows 10 pulled this BS, at the worst time for me.  I found a YouTube video on what changes to make in the registry.

If I remember correctly. . . the Google search was "how do I stop Windows 10 from auto updating".

The problem is Microsoft can do google searches as well as we can and often eliminates these loop holes/hacks with their constant updates.

I went in and manually closed the firewall on all windows com ports with the exception of windows defender.  The fall update undid every firewall block I made.  So unless you are just fanatical about it, they are going to end up spying on you.

6 hours ago, gregathit said:

I went in and manually closed the firewall on all windows com ports with the exception of windows defender.  The fall update undid every firewall block I made.

Instead of doing this stuff manually, I would script it and have it run to redo it's job periodically. ?

I'm still avoiding W10 like the plaegue. But sooner or later Microshit is bound to force it down on me. So I am sharpening my swords and am observing other's retreats.

And as an ooold rule of thumb, I stick to " Windows machines DO NOT belong directly connected to the internet. Never!"

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/22/2018 at 1:09 AM, FuzzyWonder said:

I still use windows 7 myself and used a edited registry file to tell windows not to update without my permission.

Now with the evil things i hear about windows 10 i refuse to use it until this day.

There must be something out there similar for windows 10 by now

+1

Archived