[SOLVED] Loss of performance around high number of NPC's

TJHinSkyrim

I recently upgraded my PC, with a new CPU, mobo & HDD. As a result, I had to jump from Windows 7 to 10 and reinstall Skyrim, SMO and my mods.

In game, I keep a bunch of followers in certain modded locations and since the reinstall, I've wound up with massive stutter in those high-NPC areas that wasn't present before my upgrade.

The ENB doesn't appear to be the issue as I turned it off in-game and it didn't resolve the problem.

I found that when I disabled the NPC mods, the problem eased.

Given that the mods were working properly before the reinstall, I'm trying to work out what I need to change to get my game performance back to the previous levels (let along getting more performance out of my upgrade) without disabling the mods I previously enjoyed.

Can anyone provide any guidance on to how I can overcome this issue? Are there .ini settings should I be tweaking? Could the NVIDIA setting be causing the issue?

I've been through several PC builds since 2011 and I can safely say that no matter how high I've upgraded my system, the performance gains that Skyrim or other Bethesda titles gets is negligible. From a GTX 670 and a quad core AMD from 2010, to a 1080ti with an Intel i7, the biggest performance increase has only been in the middle of the wilderness with no NPCs. I don't think it's your hardware or the lack thereof. It's Skyrim. It's a version of the engine from 2011 and the optimizations to NPCs and the high number of them doesn't seem to be that great. 

I don't believe you're alone in having FPS lower than what would normally be desired. 

Sorry, I don't think I'm explaining myself terribly well.

I'm not upset that the upgrade isn't boosting my Skyrim performance, but rather than after the upgrade, Skyrim is performing worse than it was before.

Given that the hardware has improved, I'm assuming that something has gone amiss when I reinstalled everything and I need help in working out what is broken.

6 hours ago, TJHinSkyrim said:

I recently upgraded my PC, with a new CPU, mobo & HDD. As a result, I had to jump from Windows 7 to 10 and reinstall Skyrim, SMO and my mods.

In game, I keep a bunch of followers in certain modded locations and since the reinstall, I've wound up with massive stutter in those high-NPC areas that wasn't present before my upgrade.

The ENB doesn't appear to be the issue as I turned it off in-game and it didn't resolve the problem.

I found that when I disabled the NPC mods, the problem eased.

Given that the mods were working properly before the reinstall, I'm trying to work out what I need to change to get my game performance back to the previous levels (let along getting more performance out of my upgrade) without disabling the mods I previously enjoyed.

Can anyone provide any guidance on to how I can overcome this issue? Are there .ini settings should I be tweaking? Could the NVIDIA setting be causing the issue?

ENB is not strictly necesary when have a video card with 4 gb of Vram or more.

But the graphics enhancer is commonly used and for that you must be sure the ENB configuration is correct.

If you have stutering you can try up ReservedMemorySizeMb in enblocal.ini

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory

Spoiler

ReservedMemorySizeMb

This parameter sets the size of a buffer used for swapping geometry and textures between VRAM and system memory. The buffer will be set in VRAM and this portion of VRAM will not be used for ENBoost's dynamic memory allocation; however, it will also be duplicated in the system memory used by TESV.exe as well. This means that increasing this parameter's value will result in equal increases in both VRAM and system RAM usage. The values here are measured in megabytes. For video cards with 1GB or more VRAM, start with 128 as a baseline. If stuttering persists, increase the value in increments of 128 ( 256, 384, 512, etc ) until the stuttering has ceased or is as minimal as possible with the lowest possible value. The maximum value that can be used is 1024, but be aware that whatever value is used is how much VRAM will be reserved for the swap space. This is the reason the lowest value possible without experiencing issues is recommended. Because of this parameter being system dependent, users will need to test different values to find the one which works best for their specific setup.

The next common problem is located in the INI files but the game have a lot of parameters and some are interrelated. I recomend you use BethIni for configure your INI files.

Can be a problem in Nvidia Control Panel. Simply restore it to default values. 90% of times work perfect and only is recomended change it in some specifig games/applications.

Finaly can be a problem in drivers, video, motherboard, sound.... but is dangerous change it and normally the machine always use the best drivers. Try others games before touch any driver for be sure the problem is generic and caused by drivers.

2 hours ago, Zaflis said:

ENBoost is said to increase performance. Maybe that's what you were using before and disabled it?

If the OP is using an ENB then he/she is using ENBoost.

30 minutes ago, RW311 said:

Check if one or more of the followers have custom skeleton file installed, this is most likely where npc related stutter would come from. 

Then why wasn't it there on the old machine?

On 12/17/2018 at 4:09 AM, Grey Cloud said:

What Genio said.

If you have gone from W7 to W10 then you will at least need to change the VideoMemorySizeMb setting in enblocal.ini.

Personally, I'd follow the S.T.E.P, guide for all the ini files. I'm not a big fan of Bethini as it changes too many things at once.

I've only just tested it, but upping VideoMemorySizeMb seems to have worked. It was a 2k, it should have been around 24k.

Based on the one cell I loaded, it seems as smooth as butter! :D

Archived