More Bandit Camps - EtR Patch

More Bandit Camps - EtR Patch

View File

This mod relocates and improves some of the bandit camp locations from the mod More Bandit Camps by skillest (note that mod is required for this mod to work, see requirements below).  The original MBC mod gave us a lot of additional bandit camps and overall was good addition to Skyrim, but not everything quite worked.  This patch mod addresses a few of those issues.  I created this mod mainly for use with Sexy Bandit Captives by Blackbird Wanderer and that is still its main purpose, but that mod is not required to use this mod and it works fine even if you aren't using it (buy why wouldn't you want all those cute captives to rescue? ?)

Camp Steadwatch

Formerly located near Rorikstead it's location threatened travel on the road as well as conflicting with several other mods.  I relocated the camp to a new spot below Fort Sungard where it is better concealed, can watch traffic (but not constantly attack) on two roads, and is more defensible for the bandits.  The location is fully navmeshed and cleaned.  It features a larger camp, additional bandit archers, and hidden cache's of loot scattered about the camp.  The original location was restored to its vanilla Skyrim state, including the original navmesh and landscape, any other mod using that location should be loaded after this patch.

Camp Snowfall

Formerly isolated and difficult to even reach it was not clear to me what purpose this camp was supposed to serve.  It featured a named NPC that wasn't actually a bandit but was living in the camp.  I've moved the camp to a cliff top overlooking Dragonsbridge where it is far enough away not to draw aggro or conflict with mods like ETaC, but where the bandits have a clear view of the town an traffic on the bridge.  The camp has six bandits plus the named NPC.  The NPC was nerfed and given bandit factions to make him more of a strong bandit mage rather than... whatever he was (I also changed his voice type so he can speak bandit dialogs now).  As with Steadwatch the camp is fully navmeshed and cleaned, defensible and mostly concealed (you have to look hard to see any part of it from Dragonsbridge).  The original camp location was returned to its vanilla state.

Camp Redfox

The camp map marker was corrected so it is no longer "hostile".  Renavmeshed the camp and made it easier to navigate as well as fixing some navmesh errors.  Camp is in the same location and is the same size.  Also added a fast travel marker so you land near the camp rather than in the middle of it.

Camp Wakefield

The original camp was completely removed and the surrounding area returned to its default state.  The camp was moved into a new original cave nearby with a small group of bandits there.  A little bit of backstory was developed, you can get clues about some events by reading the bandit leader's journal. 

New Original Camp

Added a brand new camp to the mod.  I'll leave it a surprise as to where the camp is and what its called, but I tried to blend it in with the not just the location but the game setting as well.  It should provide those doing the main quest with a new twist.  The camp is about the size of what I did at Steadwatch, so expect a solid fight (in testing they took down a dragon on their own!)

Requirements:

You must have the explorer version of MBC for LE

Installation:

Just drop the esp in your load order after MBC.  There are no scripts or anything in this mod so it's very low impact on your save game.

If you are using mods like Pirates of the North, make sure they load after my mod for best performance.

Mods Using this Patch:

Sexy Bandit Captives by Blackbird Wanderer

Future Plans:

None

The current version of the patch will be the final version.  I debated about this a lot privately.  I don't like heavily modding other people's mods, and that is what this mod was becoming.  It started out as a patch to move a couple of camps to resolve some mod conflicts and then I started getting carried away cause I love building locations.  But, its not my mod to do that with and so I decided the best thing to do was stop it where its at.

However, that's not necessarily the end of things.  Like I said I love building locations, its my favorite thing to do in modding.  So I'm beginning work on a new mod project that will be called Warlords, Renegades and Rogues of Skyrim.  This mod will include a further revised and renamed version of Camps Steadwatch, Snowfall as well as my original Ilinata's Overlook.  It will also add many more new locations.  It will not be just bandits, doing a whole new mod will be a good opportunity for me to let my creativity lose and put a variety of ideas I have to use.

Meanwhile this patch will remain in its current form for those using MBC who want to use the patch.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    09/21/2018
  • Category
  • Requires
    More Bandit Camps (explorer) by Skillest
  • Special Edition Compatible
    No

I was thinking they needed to change the master (cause skillest used two different named masters).  Also they might want to set the map markers to visible.  I'll get to it at some point, just pressed for time lately.  As usual I've got too much on my plate. ?  I was kinda waiting til decided if I was going to do any more camps or not or anything else with it, bit less work for me that way.

10 hours ago, EinarrTheRed said:

I was thinking they needed to change the master (cause skillest used two different named masters).  Also they might want to set the map markers to visible.  I'll get to it at some point, just pressed for time lately.  As usual I've got too much on my plate. ?  I was kinda waiting til decided if I was going to do any more camps or not or anything else with it, bit less work for me that way.

I meant someone could rename the MBC Esp they were using if they wanted to keep the map markers but use your patch right away.  There will be the usual errors about swapping mods so you'd want to do that for a new game, really, but it is simpler than editing your patch ESP to change the master.

19 hours ago, RomulusAugustulus said:

Although it's more related to SBC, one might mention that SBC needs to be restarted if this patch is loaded into a running playthrough to relocate the captives.

Excellent point.  I wish I could think of a way to make it automatic such that the Captives in the old camp are relocated to the new camp on a 1 for 1 basis without re-initiating the entire placement procedure, but once they're placed there's nothing associating them with the marker they were placed at other than proximity.  Maybe I can use that . . . hmmm.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks, @EinarrTheRed , just curious as I didn't see it mentioned in the description, does this fix that other camp in the vicinity west of Sungard where we "aggro the map marker" at? ?

I appreciated your earlier step-by-step guide in the other thread to fix that ourselves, but I hadn't tackled doing that myself yet, kinda hoping it was already done in this ?

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2018 at 10:08 PM, S4WDU5T said:

thanks, @EinarrTheRed , just curious as I didn't see it mentioned in the description, does this fix that other camp in the vicinity west of Sungard where we "aggro the map marker" at? ?

I appreciated your earlier step-by-step guide in the other thread to fix that ourselves, but I hadn't tackled doing that myself yet, kinda hoping it was already done in this ?

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, I've got a lot going on RL and haven't had any time for Skyrim.

To answer your question, to the best of my memory it doesn't... I don't think... but it might.  I know real definitive answer. ?  True is I've had so much else on my mind I don't recall, I might have but if its not listed in the mod features I wouldn't count on it.  Its an easy fix though, so if I didn't fix it you shouldn't have any problem doing so yourself.  If I get any time to update this mod further, I'll add that on the to-do list and make sure the next update does so.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been enjoying this mod quite a bit, and I especially like what you did with Steadwatch, but I've noticed a problem. When I pick up a bounty for "kill the leader of Camp Steadwatch" the map marker still points to the old location. There is nothing at the old location to kill, and if you go to the new location and kill the bandit chief there it does not complete the objective. End result is a bounty quest that cannot be completed (unless you use the console, which is what I ended up doing).

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... not sure how to fix that.  If the game is still pointing to the old location (all the old markers were either removed or the mod moves them to the new location) then it might be from installing the bandit camps and then later adding my patch.  Skyrim is bad for 'baking' in data to the saves that never gets properly updated, so that's one potential cause.  The only other thing I can think is that maybe the original author buried something in MBC that I missed and didn't update.  I've tried contacting the original author but never gotten a reply so no help there.

Unfortunately I'm not able to work on the mod right now, life kinda threw me a curve ball and I've had to shift my priorities for awhile.  Meaning for the time being I haven't even had time to play Skyrim, much less work on mods.  I do want to come back to working on this and other projects at some point, but have no idea when that will be.

For now, I would recommend players be careful about taking a Steadwatch bounty quests on existing save games.  New games should be okay as far as I know, but if you're running into the same problem even on a fresh start game let me know (cause that pretty much means I missed something in the patch that I need to clean up when I can get to it).

• 3 months later...
On 12/18/2018 at 4:35 AM, firebinder said:

I've been enjoying this mod quite a bit, and I especially like what you did with Steadwatch, but I've noticed a problem. When I pick up a bounty for "kill the leader of Camp Steadwatch" the map marker still points to the old location. There is nothing at the old location to kill, and if you go to the new location and kill the bandit chief there it does not complete the objective. End result is a bounty quest that cannot be completed (unless you use the console, which is what I ended up doing).

yea i got this too. im sure its caused by using the patch on an exisiting save just as EinarrTheRed suggest. guess i gotta disable the patch and load a save before accepting the quest. good work with this patch though EinarrTheRed

I'm hoping to get some free time to go back and work on this a bit more sometime *soonish* (what that means is I'd like to work on it, and I kinda sorta think things might get to a point where I can in the foreseeable future, but I'm gonna have also spend time reviewing what I've done and how I did it to get myself back up to speed, so I really got no idea when I'll get back to this but I hope I can).  If/when I do I want to go back and review those quests and make sure everything is plugged in correctly.   I'd also like to work on camp Red Fox, which has the bugged map marker, plus that whole camp could do with an overhaul anyway.

I have never heard back from the mod's original author, so I guess he abandoned it.  I was hoping he might just incorporate my changes into the base mod but doesn't look like that will ever happen.  I have been asked to post my patch on Nexus and at some point I would like to do that as well (there's at least one mod author over there that wants to link to it for their own mod project).

Cross your fingers.  Will check in when I can.

I happened to get a radiant quest (Moon Amulet for Kharjo) that picked Steadwatch for its location. Map marker pointed at the empty field but I didn't find the loot in the boss chest or any of the others when I cleared the camp.

I'd guess something was done wrong/differently with the camp's markers that the didn't transfer when you moved them. With the Redfox marker as an example I'd suspect the original mod author made other mistakes as well but they haven't been found yet.

With the relocated Steadwatch, its most likely that I messed up and didn't get the new chests plugged in to the quest correctly.  When I first moved the camp I actually just dragged the original chests to the new location, but then I kind messed that up and ended up duplicating them.  The quest clearly isn't picking up on that so whenever I get time I need to go back and look at how that works and fix it.  It should be finding the quest reference somewhere and plugging the new chests into a list, I think...   So that one is on me.

Redfox is a real simple error and actually partly Bethesda's fault.  The mod author forgot to change the map marker from the default to an actual camp marker which is easy enough to fix.  But Bethesda screwed up because the "default" marker (the round circle) is actually hostile to players which is why you get the red hostile dot and the "in combat" glitch.  But like I said, its very easy to fix and I think I posted instructions on how to do it for those who can't wait for me to finally get around to it.  As I recall, took all of like 5 min to fix it in Creation Kit and most of that time was spent waiting for CK to load.  LOL

On 12/27/2018 at 1:52 PM, EinarrTheRed said:

Hmmm... not sure how to fix that.  If the game is still pointing to the old location (all the old markers were either removed or the mod moves them to the new location) then it might be from installing the bandit camps and then later adding my patch.  Skyrim is bad for 'baking' in data to the saves that never gets properly updated, so that's one potential cause.  The only other thing I can think is that maybe the original author buried something in MBC that I missed and didn't update.  I've tried contacting the original author but never gotten a reply so no help there.

Unfortunately I'm not able to work on the mod right now, life kinda threw me a curve ball and I've had to shift my priorities for awhile.  Meaning for the time being I haven't even had time to play Skyrim, much less work on mods.  I do want to come back to working on this and other projects at some point, but have no idea when that will be.

For now, I would recommend players be careful about taking a Steadwatch bounty quests on existing save games.  New games should be okay as far as I know, but if you're running into the same problem even on a fresh start game let me know (cause that pretty much means I missed something in the patch that I need to clean up when I can get to it).

i've only recently found this mod after poking your profile when somebody following me poked your first thread, but i can wrap both of these bugs up for you with 3 to 4 words

On 4/12/2019 at 5:55 PM, EinarrTheRed said:

With the relocated Steadwatch, its most likely that I messed up and didn't get the new chests plugged in to the quest correctly.  When I first moved the camp I actually just dragged the original chests to the new location, but then I kind messed that up and ended up duplicating them.  The quest clearly isn't picking up on that so whenever I get time I need to go back and look at how that works and fix it.  It should be finding the quest reference somewhere and plugging the new chests into a list, I think...   So that one is on me.

Redfox is a real simple error and actually partly Bethesda's fault.  The mod author forgot to change the map marker from the default to an actual camp marker which is easy enough to fix.  But Bethesda screwed up because the "default" marker (the round circle) is actually hostile to players which is why you get the red hostile dot and the "in combat" glitch.  But like I said, its very easy to fix and I think I posted instructions on how to do it for those who can't wait for me to finally get around to it.  As I recall, took all of like 5 min to fix it in Creation Kit and most of that time was spent waiting for CK to load.  LOL

Remember Felglow slave camp upgrades over old saves (and remember all the havoc the "Master jarek" would go thru)

(oops, that's more than 4...)

meanwhile, you've got the start of another great mod left behind that looks like it would be good to see progress on here:

p.s. on second thought, you might have better luck fixing quest markers from this mod than those from felglow slave camp since these quests "in theory" shouldn't be started yet until the "bounty" is received

• 2 months later...

Just uploaded v1.1 of the mod.

This version fixes the problem with the radiant quest to kill a bandit leader.  My fault on that one I'd not updated a part of the location data important for that quest to work and not realized I had not done so.  The update should take effect immediately and fix the problem.  It may not work if you already have a bugged quest.  Camp Snowfall may take up to 10 days to update due to an additional bug I found.

Next up for this is updating Camp Redfox which currently covers 4 exterior cells plus navmeshes in a number of others which is a bit crazy for a small camp that easily fits in one cell.  So that's getting fixed and the camp itself will get tweaked to make it easier for Blackbird to place SBC captives there and for NPCs to move around the camp.

I'm also going to relocate Camp Wakefield which is currently in an odd spot and very exposed.  The current camp causes issues with some other encounters and tends to break the road navmesh and all that needs to be fixed, its also too small for any SBC captives to be placed.  The new version will be slightly larger and won't interfere with anything, it will also be designed to have room for one or two SBC captives, giving Blackbird another location to play with.

Finally, plans are to build a new original camp, which I guess takes this from being a Patch to being a "Even More Bandit Camps" mod.  The new camp will be large on par with what I did with Camp Steadwatch or Camp Snowfall.  That should give Blackbird room for 3-4 more captives at that location, where exactly the camp will be located I'll leave as a surprise.  I think the location will be "interesting".  The new camp will have some game lore connections as well as connections to one of the other bandit camps just for a bit of immersive fun.

Once I get this next update done I'll be uploading the mod to Nexus as well.

========================

Other future plans may include editing the original esp to remove the old camp locations.  I'm still considering whether to do this as I'm reluctant to edit someone else's mod esp.  But in this case it would solve a number of problems.  The original mod makes very extensive map edits to navmeshes and landscape well outside the added camp locations.  This causes conflicts with other mods and can result in broken navmeshing.  One of the two reasons I started this patch was of course to update some camps for SBC but the other reason was to fix some of these issues and this is, in the long run, the best way to do that.  I'm still considering it however, no decision has been made yet.

I may do other camps, I may eventually redo all the camps, we'll see.  This is very much a work in progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Just posted v1.2

You get an updated Camp Redfox

Camp Wakefield gets moved into a cave

And you get a brand new original camp I created.  (no spoilers yet)

All camps are tied into the radiant bandit quest from the appropriate Jarls and Blackbird is planning to include the new camps in the next SBC update (will leave that to Blackbird to discuss).

So since I seem to be updating various camps I thought I'd ask for feedback on what camps to do next?  I'm going to be limited to doing about 2 at a time due to time constraints so which two should I do next?

• Camp Cloverhedge?
  • Birchwood Camp?
  • Camp Frostcliff?
  • Goldmill Camp?
  • Something else?
  • More new camps?
1 hour ago, EinarrTheRed said:

More new camps

Always good to have new sites around skyrim for the bandit captive

1 hour ago, EinarrTheRed said:

Something else?

Correcting the issues that the mod seemed to had (navmesh)

Thank you for theses patches !

2 minutes ago, tuxagent7 said:

Always good to have new sites around skyrim for the bandit captive

Yup!  An Blackbird was directly involved in developing the new Wakefield and the new original camp.  We'll all have to wait for the next update to SBC for these new camps to get used by SBC, but its in the works!

2 minutes ago, tuxagent7 said:

Correcting the issues that the mod seemed to had (navmesh)

Thank you for theses patches !

You're welcome, its sort of an evolving project that started with Camp Steadwatch (and wasn't intended to be anything more than that) and just grown from there.  I'm working on it a couple camps at a time, got any preferences?