you are prejudiced?

18 hours ago, Hermit36 said:

Thank goodness I'm not the only one that feels that way. I abhor, hate, despise, etc anything that has to do with political correctness and the coddling of children; the sooner they realize the world isn't fair and doesn't owe them anything, the better the rest of us will be. As such prejudices include snowflakes (college kids, though I don't like too much of the real stuff), the far political left and right, fanatics, and people who lack common sense and civility. Reading that, I guess politicians are high on the list of my prejudices.

I so agree with you. As I stated in my earlier post "I hate all people equally." I am quite serious about that though, since off hand I find it hard to think of even one group that has not garnered my disdain recently.

23 hours ago, Hermit36 said:

Thank goodness I'm not the only one that feels that way. I abhor, hate, despise, etc anything that has to do with political correctness and the coddling of children; the sooner they realize the world isn't fair and doesn't owe them anything, the better the rest of us will be. As such prejudices include snowflakes (college kids, though I don't like too much of the real stuff), the far political left and right, fanatics, and people who lack common sense and civility. Reading that, I guess politicians are high on the list of my prejudices.

If we recognized that we are in fact mutually dependent and owe an infinite debt to one another, and worked to fulfill that debt, all of us would be a lot better off. I don't care whether or not the world is fair or a good place or whatever, go make it more of one.

Prejudice - preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

So if you have an opinion about anything and can't prove that you're right then you're prejudiced (even if you're right, if you can't cite the evidence then you don't really know you're right).  So pretty much any opinion for or against Religion and any opinion about any subject that you're not an expert in.

So am I prejudiced?  Yep.  I tend not to have strong opinions about things that I have no evidence for though.  If I consider it important, I read up on it and potentially change my mind if I was wrong.  Even then, there are a few topics where I know my opinion is not supported by the evidence and don't care.  At least in those cases I know I'm wrong though.  There are a lot of people out there who are aggressively ignorant, seemingly on purpose.

Depends on what day of the week and what has happened that day. Mostly the me me people that can't get off their asses and go to work instead they want others to support them.  The people who think I should apologize for being a White male. Lower middle class with just a high school education who did something with his life by staying and retiring from the army and now drive truck. Four wheelers who like to camp out on the side of my truck as my lane is ending, or thinking that they can cut me off and realize to late  that a 80,000 lbs truck and trailer just don't stop as well as a car.   Guess I'm prejudice against people who think that the way I was brought up and the things I was taught to believe in is wrong because it's not what they believe in. I don't mind people in general just don't care for the lazy, No it all's. Far as Race or Color or Religion. I have learned over the years that those don't matter but to those people who want it to matter too. I might not be up with the gay rights and getting married and all that but I figure that's their life so I won't rain on their parade because I did join the military to defend freedom and our country (Travel over seas and seeing other people, countries and eating different foods was a added bonus) that is just one of the things that freedom covers. Don't care for Fanatics of any kind all they do is cause trouble for everyone.

I used to subscribe to the "I'm not prejudiced, I hate everyone equally" philosophy, but it took a lot of energy. It made me reflexively iconoclastic, sarcastic, deepened my issues with authority figures, and generally made me a downer. Now I've developed the "Apathetic about everyone equally" and it has made all of the difference. Sure I'm still iconoclastic, and sarcastic, but I no longer buy into the concept of authority figures, and I'm fun at parties*.

*Technically when I say "I'm fun at parties" I can only speak for myself in that I have fun at parties. I wouldn't claim that other feel the same way, nor is it any of my business. 

I hate everybody equally, because frankly I feel like we as humans could be so much more, if only we would actually take control of our emotions, our instincts, our technology and work toward a grand vision for the future, free of hunger, strife, tribalism, mental deficiency and the like. We could make the stars themselves bend to our whims if only we had the balls to make the hard choices and push forward, no matter the short term pain.

Spoiler

That said, I more feel pity for trans people, because this entire acceptance movement is doing them a disservice. They are mentally ill and need actual help, not to be told that what they're feeling is in some way natural and justified, much less that they should be encouraged to butcher their bodies by unethical "doctors."

It's the same thing with the fat acceptance movement, really; unhealthy people pushing for people to accept them, rather than take responsibility and seek help. I can only help but feel pity for these poor people, because left to their own devices, they will only end up killing themselves.

But the rabid folk that tell me I need to accept these two groups and push it into every aspect of life? Those I hate with a passion, well beyond my normal hate for humanity as a whole.

I now await my banning and/or being screamed at.

On 8/10/2018 at 7:03 PM, dlc123 said:

all humans have some prejudice.

if you're denying it, you're being hypocritical.

update of the question:

prejudice related to races, cultures, religions, social class of people, mentally / physically disabled, fat, homosexuals, feminists, abortionists ... these things my dear ones.

expose your prejudice in public or send me a private message (if you are shy).

If you want, you can update your answer.

I used the google translator. My native language is not English.

Everything I see about anyone or any thing tells me something.  Maybe I can interpret these clues well, maybe I cannot.  

I see a person in a wheelchair I think "maybe they can't walk"  - that's a prejudice

I see a red strawberry i think "that'll be good to eat" - that's a prejudice

i see a man pointing a gun at my head I think "hmm he is dangerous" - that's a prejudice.

If I can view (insert person type here) and size them up in five seconds and I'm more right than I am wrong, then my prejudice is useful.  I am full of prejudices.  An intelligent person has many.  As a matter of fact the more accurate prejudices one possesses, the more savvy they are.  As long as your prejudices are correct more often than they are incorrect, you want as many as possible.  There's nothing wrong with prejudice.  Prejudice is only wrong when it predicts incorrectly too often - that's what we call bigotry.

When I hear an accent from the American south, I automatically assume the person is a bigoted racist science-hating creationist fascist.

Most American southerners that I've actually talked to in person have been quite pleasant and tolerant and reasonable. But it's hard to get past the prejudice... And part of me is convinced that it's just the "good ones" who travel to Canada where I would meet them. So it's pretty deeply ingrained.

On 8/25/2018 at 8:00 PM, markdf said:

When I hear an accent from the American south, I automatically assume the person is a bigoted racist science-hating creationist fascist.

Most American southerners that I've actually talked to in person have been quite pleasant and tolerant and reasonable. But it's hard to get past the prejudice... And part of me is convinced that it's just the "good ones" who travel to Canada where I would meet them. So it's pretty deeply ingrained.

How could it not be? It is literally the accent associated with the 'backwards bad guy' in the bulk of North American politically themed media aimed at every age group and even quite a few non-American works on top of that.

When the first or only exposure that one has to a population is incredibly negative, that tends to create the knee-jerk revulsion reactions that are called Prejudice. 

I am against lurkers who have been on this board since 2016, and have only 22 posts the last of which have been to provoke either an argument, or to promote the notion that there is no such thing as a good person, and that is a form of prejudice.  The worst thing about that kind of prejudice... is that while you feel hurt and angry and all the rest of it, it feeds you self-doubt. You start thinking, perhaps I am not good enough.

It is said that the air is the only place free from prejudice, however at any given moment, public opinion is the chaos of superstition, misinformation and prejudice.

While everyone has a right to his or her opinion, the people who are informed have more of a right. Which leads me to think, there must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware. This would at least make it possible for everyone to meet in the middle ground of a discussion.

We need something that would unite the world in a common cause, something that would give us all an equal share of the burden and an equal share of the consequences. Something where the only chance of survival is a trust and dependence of a fellow human being and this need being equally shared.

Zombie apocalypse anyone?

On 8/25/2018 at 10:00 PM, markdf said:

On one level you are partly correct, in that the people who hold true to those stereotypes are unlikely to ever visit Canada, where the prejudice comes in is assuming they are the minority.

Gotta say though, probably guilty of this one myself. I know a lot of nice people with southern accents, but it's hard to get over that expectation that someone with a strong southern accent is an uneducated bigot even after actually meeting people who definitely don't hold true to that.

There are a lot of cities in the American South that are very liberal educated places, but through things like America's electoral college system they possess a minority of the regions political power even if they may be a majority of the population. Hence we only hear about the Southerners who are backwoods, because they are what the media at large associates the representation of the region with.

All of the people listing off the (largely ethnic) groups of people that they hate are completely misunderstanding what a prejudice even is. A prejudice is an innate assumption that you have already before even associating with a person based on something about them, not a reason for hating a group, or a group that you hate.

That I assume a strange dog running at me is going to be aggressive based on it's size is a prejudice.

That I assume a person wearing filthy clothes and riding the bus at 1pm is homeless is a prejudice.

That I assume a person who doesn't clean up after their dog is doing so because they are lazy is a prejudice.

That I assume anyone who is a racist, homophobe, transphobe, ableist, etc. is a horrible person is not a prejudice, that is an opinion.

And it's rather terrifying to see how many people are openly bragging about their bigotry here. What ever happened to; "LoversLab is first and foremost a gaming community. As such, we wish to be welcoming and friendly to all genders, orientations, nationalities, religions, and beliefs."? Doesn't exactly seem all that welcoming when people are allowed to say things like "I don't consider X group as actual people".

6 hours ago, stargatedalek said:

On one level you are partly correct, in that the people who hold true to those stereotypes are unlikely to ever visit Canada, where the prejudice comes in is assuming they are the minority.

Gotta say though, probably guilty of this one myself. I know a lot of nice people with southern accents, but it's hard to get over that expectation that someone with a strong southern accent is an uneducated bigot even after actually meeting people who definitely don't hold true to that.

There are a lot of cities in the American South that are very liberal educated places, but through things like America's electoral college system they possess a minority of the regions political power even if they may be a majority of the population. Hence we only hear about the Southerners who are backwoods, because they are what the media at large associates the representation of the region with.

All of the people listing off the (largely ethnic) groups of people that they hate are completely misunderstanding what a prejudice even is. A prejudice is an innate assumption that you have already before even associating with a person based on something about them, not a reason for hating a group, or a group that you hate.

That I assume a strange dog running at me is going to be aggressive based on it's size is a prejudice.

That I assume a person wearing filthy clothes and riding the bus at 1pm is homeless is a prejudice.

That I assume a person who doesn't clean up after their dog is doing so because they are lazy is a prejudice.

That I assume anyone who is a racist, homophobe, transphobe, ableist, etc. is a horrible person is not a prejudice, that is an opinion.

And it's rather terrifying to see how many people are openly bragging about their bigotry here. What ever happened to; "LoversLab is first and foremost a gaming community. As such, we wish to be welcoming and friendly to all genders, orientations, nationalities, religions, and beliefs."? Doesn't exactly seem all that welcoming when people are allowed to say things like "I don't consider X group as actual people".

It's one of those trendy fads you hear about that eventually will turn into a sitcom they'll show on slow days in 2026.

Well actually they kind of do that *now* but I'm following my own train of thought.

The sixties was a movement, and then it was marketing, trendy sunglasses and lots and lots of music.

Archie Bunker was a stereotype of the sixties (70's, whatever), now he's seen in a way different light.

So....is it a phase that gets better or are we doomed?

(I hate these trains of thought sometimes. No one can see them except me, and I don't describe things very well)

No one remembers this, especially *now*, but people used to make fun of John McCain for having a slight disability, and holding a pen constantly in one of his hands (his right hand? I seriously need to look this up)

And I just did a wiki search of Hedda Hopper and her friend/rival Louella Parsons.

Apparently she knew what gets your self-righteous collective goats, and wrote about what movie stars had which peccadilloes.

On 8/31/2018 at 6:49 PM, Captain Cobra said:

I have 0 respect for people who enjoy being cuckolds.

Why?! They're amazing! They make life so much fun for the rest of us! ?

And some of them are very wonderful, strong, interesting people. They just have an odd fetish, like the rest of us. A fetish that is very enjoyable to help them out with.

On 8/31/2018 at 6:39 PM, FauxFurry said:

How could it not be? It is literally the accent associated with the 'backwards bad guy' in the bulk of North American politically themed media aimed at every age group and even quite a few non-American works on top of that.

When the first or only exposure that one has to a population is incredibly negative, that tends to create the knee-jerk revulsion reactions that are called Prejudice. 

To be fair, southerners are the people who were once willing to literally DIE to ensure that people could own other people. And a lot of them still seem to think that owning other people wasn't so bad. So maybe there's a reason for knee-jerk revulsion about southerners.

Edit: see? I can't not do it. Super, super prejudiced. ?

10 hours ago, markdf said:

To be fair, southerners are the people who were once willing to literally DIE to ensure that people could own other people. And a lot of them still seem to think that owning other people wasn't so bad. So maybe there's a reason for knee-jerk revulsion about southerners.

Edit: see? I can't not do it. Super, super prejudiced. ?

Okay slavery is wrong but I just can't understand why American Southerners get all the heat. People seem to forget that northerners had slaves as well not to mention that the act of owning slaves goes back thousands of years in every culture. Europeans had slaves, Asians had slaves, ancient Rome and Greece had slaves as did Egypt, Hell Africans would enslave the survivors of other tribes they defeated. Like I said slavery is a terrible thing but why single out one group that did it. Besides why the hell do we always have look at the past and apply today's standards to it. Different times, different standards, different morals, different laws just different everything yet we want them to conform to our current societal norm. Slavery in America ended 153 years ago give it a f***ing rest already, December 1865 to be exact. No one alive today was ever a slave or owned one get over it.

1 hour ago, wokking56 said:

Okay slavery is wrong but I just can't understand why American Southerners get all the heat. People seem to forget that northerners had slaves as well not to mention that the act of owning slaves goes back thousands of years in every culture. Europeans had slaves, Asians had slaves, ancient Rome and Greece had slaves as did Egypt, Hell Africans would enslave the survivors of other tribes they defeated. Like I said slavery is a terrible thing but why single out one group that did it. Besides why the hell do we always have look at the past and apply today's standards to it. Different times, different standards, different morals, different laws just different everything yet we want them to conform to our current societal norm. Slavery in America ended 153 years ago give it a f***ing rest already, December 1865 to be exact. No one alive today was ever a slave or owned one get over it.

Point of order, uhm Whites-only bathrooms were outlawed in 1964. I'm checking my links. 

Maybe someone else (*everyone else*) knows more than me.http://www.myreporter.com/2009/06/segregated-water-fountains-end/

George Wallace (a politician in the sixties) vowed "segregation forever" circa 1963

segregated buses ended a little earlier than that (1956?)

3 hours ago, wokking56 said:

They also conveniently forget that 'people of color' only comprised 15% of owned slaves and indentured servants, I'll let you guess what color the other 85% were.

The south gets a rep because as we've seen in the current headlines, there are a shit ton of southern people whom are still quite prejudiced over something as meaningless as the amount of melanin in your skin, which happens to be about .04% of your genetic make up, and unlike predjudiced people in the north whom are just as racist but silent in their bias, people in the south and midwest take every opportunity to show their ass in public and on camera, thus the stereotype.

3 hours ago, wokking56 said:

a) What do you mean by "today's standards"? People back then knew slavery was wrong, that's why they were trying to abolish it. That's why the entire British Empire had already made slavery illegal decades before the civil war.

b) Not all the slaves were released right away. There are a handful of former slaves that are still alive. And modern slavery still exists in the US.

https://www.inverse.com/article/31687-modern-slavery-in-the-united-states-today

https://money.cnn.com/2013/11/21/news/economy/human-trafficking-slave/index.html

https://www.aclu.org/blog/us-admits-modern-day-slavery-exists-home

c) Yes, every country had slaves. But most countries got rid of slavery without half the country rising up and fighting a bloody war to preserve it. Southerners actually DIED in a failed attempt to make sure that they could own humans. And southerners still celebrate those people! With statues and schools named after them and by putting the slavery flag on their pickup trucks.

Man, seriously, fuck the south.

2 hours ago, markdf said:

Yes, every country had slaves. But most countries got rid of slavery without half the country rising up and fighting a bloody war to preserve it. Southerners actually DIED in a failed attempt to make sure that they could own humans. And southerners still celebrate those people! With statues and schools named after them and by putting the slavery flag on their pickup trucks.

Man, seriously, fuck the south.

Seriously dude! Is that what you really think the civil war was all about. Sure it was one of the issues but states rights encompassed so much more. As for naming schools and having a statue, why the F not they were American military men. So just because you don't like their politics they should be forgotten, well our founding fathers owned slaves so let's get Washington and Jefferson off our currency then (those slave owning SOBs). Hell good old "Honest Abe" himself said "If I could end this war without freeing a single slave I would." So let's get that a**hole off our money as well. I am so F***ing tired of hearing about the Confederate Flag or more appropriately "battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia". it has nothing at all to do with slavery or oppression. So if I flew the Union Jack in my yard I guess that would make me a British loyalist who wants the U.S. back as part of the U.K. Do you see how stupid that shit is. Let's not forget "He who refuses to learn from the past is destined to repeat it." How the hell are we supposed to learn if something is buried and suppressed. I wish people would just learn some real history for a change.

I guess the "Real American" military never did anything wrong though, that is unless you truly want me to list a few.

No man, seriously, fuck close-minded idiots.

5 hours ago, 2dk2c said:

Point of order, uhm Whites-only bathrooms were outlawed in 1964. I'm checking my links. 

Maybe someone else (*everyone else*) knows more than me.

That was not slavery that was just ignorant bigotry. No one owned those "colored people" (words from that time period) they were however segregated and mistreated.

Honestly, a lot of people would probably consider me to be irrationally prejudiced against Muslims of most major sects, because with a few exceptions, I really don't like or trust them and I think most forms of Islam are inherently dangerous and oppressive at best and a direct threat to my ability to exist at worst.  Having actually read the القران الكريم with the help of some Muslim and ex-Muslim friends, I also have very little patience for non-Muslims who tell me to "go read the Koran so can see how 'peaceful' a religion it is."  
I myself consider my animosity toward them to be justified.  My extreme dislike for most Muslims of most "flavors" of Islam comes not just from having read the القران الكريم but also  from a multitude of experiences and interactions.  I've lost some very distant family members and a couple of friends to extremists, but most of my animosity stems from the fact I've been subjected to so much blatant discrimination and bigotry from most Muslims I have come in contact with, including being told by Muslim classmates in a the Catholic university I attended that because of my skin color, my sexuality, and my religion I deserve to die;  A Muslim coworker that threatened to stab me; a Muslim Cabdriver that told me I needed to leave America because someday "soon" America would become a Muslim country and then I would be thrown off a building; and a group of Muslims that assaulted me and several others as we were headed back to our cars from church. Also, I've witnessed the treatment my female friends and family have had from Muslims (mostly men) and most of it has been very frightening and in a few cases outright violent.  This wasn't a "small minority" this was the vast majority of Muslims I have come in contact with in a state in America with a fairly large population and in a city where much of that population within that state was centered.  

On the other hand, there are a handful of individual Muslims I am friends with and trust completely, and there are a couple of smaller more peaceful (In my experience anyways) Muslim sects that I have no animosity at all for. 

10 hours ago, wokking56 said:

Seriously dude! Is that what you really think the civil war was all about. Sure it was one of the issues but states rights encompassed so much more. As for naming schools and having a statue, why the F not they were American military men. So just because you don't like their politics they should be forgotten, well our founding fathers owned slaves so let's get Washington and Jefferson off our currency then (those slave owning SOBs). Hell good old "Honest Abe" himself said "If I could end this war without freeing a single slave I would." So let's get that a**hole off our money as well. I am so F***ing tired of hearing about the Confederate Flag or more appropriately "battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia". it has nothing at all to do with slavery or oppression. So if I flew the Union Jack in my yard I guess that would make me a British loyalist who wants the U.S. back as part of the U.K. Do you see how stupid that shit is. Let's not forget "He who refuses to learn from the past is destined to repeat it." How the hell are we supposed to learn if something is buried and suppressed. I wish people would just learn some real history for a change.

I guess the "Real American" military never did anything wrong though, that is unless you truly want me to list a few.

No man, seriously, fuck close-minded idiots.

The "real american" military? The one that massacred innocent Vietnamese civilians, innocent Iraqi civilians, tortured people without any evidence or trials, and which (if you read those links) has actual SLAVES on some of its bases? THAT american military?

Washington, who specified in his will that his slaves should not be freed after his death? Yes, take him off the money, why not? Thomas Jefferson bankrupted himself building a mansion in which slaves would have to move around through secret tunnels inside the walls so that no one would ever have to see them. He also raped his slaves regularly. So yes, take him off the money too.

No one who fought AGAINST liberty for Americans should be remembered as hero in America. And if you think that there is ANY issue from the civil war that mattered even slightly compared to freeing the slaves, that's pretty bad. Like if you think tariffs on corn is somehow more important than freeing slaves.... that does not speak very well of your character. Slavery was the only issue at stake, nothing else mattered even the TINIEST bit in comparison.

Think about it this way: pretend YOU are a slave right now, and there is a civil war in which one side wants to free you. I sign on to fight on the OTHER side, the side that wants to keep you a slave forever. But I'm all like "it's not about slavery, I just really like the fact that they'll decrease the tax on imported candy from Europe." Would you respect me in that scenario? Or would you assume that I'm basically a monster? Every southerner was that monster, and many of them still are to this day.

Archived