Custom Pose Creation Guide

I suggest we rename the tutorial section as « How to spend more than one day getting a single screen - Welcome to the story section  ». :lol:

Just kidding, this guide is wonderful. I agree with Alter Native, your gifs do make all the steps clear even for total noobs (at least for the two first spoilers). I don't think I'm gonna implement those right away though (still digesting the other guides :sweat_smile:). But I often find myself searching for poses that I'd want and not finding them anywhere in my pose mods... so but in the future, definitely . Thanks for the guide, Colly ! :D

Malicia : « I have a question, Mr Collygon ! Why does the gal of your first image has a green circle around the pee-pee, and why is it on the center of your screen, uh

FOMkGg5a_o.gif »

My pleasure, everyone! Glad you all like it.

11 hours ago, Tirloque said:

I suggest we rename the tutorial section as « How to spend more than one day getting a single screen - Welcome to the story section  ». :lol:

Just kidding, this guide is wonderful. I agree with Alter Native, your gifs do make all the steps clear even for total noobs (at least for the two first spoilers). I don't think I'm gonna implement those right away though (still digesting the other guides :sweat_smile:). But I often find myself searching for poses that I'd want and not finding them anywhere in my pose mods... so but in the future, definitely . Thanks for the guide, Colly ! :D

Malicia : « I have a question, Mr Collygon ! Why does the gal of your first image has a green circle around the pee-pee, and why is it on the center of your screen, uh

FOMkGg5a_o.gif »

The circle around her... "pee-pee"... is just the selection toggle for blender. It can be enabled or disabled to appear around an object or item selection.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Ok! Was able to digest and I have some questions. 

1.  In some poses, you can "throw" your equipped weapon or reverse how you hold it in a pose.   (Let me know if you need examples, I can provide!).  How do you do this in blender?  

2.  Super Newbie Question:  Do you do a good showing showing me how to make an .hkx file.  But, how do you open other .hkx files?  If I just want to tweak 1 thing about someone else's pose.  

Thanks in advance!  

On 12/21/2018 at 11:41 AM, djregs said:

Ok! Was able to digest and I have some questions. 

1.  In some poses, you can "throw" your equipped weapon or reverse how you hold it in a pose.   (Let me know if you need examples, I can provide!).  How do you do this in blender?  

2.  Super Newbie Question:  Do you do a good showing showing me how to make an .hkx file.  But, how do you open other .hkx files?  If I just want to tweak 1 thing about someone else's pose.  

Thanks in advance!  

1. The Animation Tools N3 blend file has nodes that correspond to weapon nodes. Here is the one for the right hand:

tumblr_pk5tvkTi1N1vjzcdbo1_540.png

This node can be manipulated in any way (rotated and moved) just like the other nodes. Be warned! Adjusting weapon placements in a pain in the butt and there are really no "tricks" to it. It will take multiple tests. My advice would be to only move it/rotate it a bit at a time, test it in game, then repeat until is done. 

2. It is impossible to open a custom made .hkx file in Blender or even 3DS max. 3DS max does allow you to open Skyrim's vanilla .hkx files, but not custom ones. Don't ask me why, I don't think anyone knows. For adjusting poses, use NIOverride pose adjustments. It really is a fantastic alternative, and I'd argue better than remaking a .hkx out of game. 

Hope this helps :)

Bummer about not being able to open custom made .hkx files in Blender!  But, I think I'll get over it.  Especially once I get NIOverride up and working.  And thanks for showing me where the weapon "nodes" are!  I'll see if there's a trick to making them work properly on the first go.  Thank you! @Collygon

• 2 months later...

Heys, dunno if you're still following this, but, first - thanks for the guide! Haven't messed around with Blender before, but this was easy enough for me to follow! I do, however, have an issue.

For testing purposes I made a relatively simple pose where the model would cup both of her breasts with her hands. Took a bit of fiddling, but I did get it to fit eventually. However, after importing it to the game, the hands don't actually align the same way they do on the model in Blender.  Here is what it looks like in Blender, and then in-game it actually looks like this.

To be clear, I am using the default UNP body, so the issue shouldn't be there,. Maybe I did something wrong while posing, the pose is correct though, it's just misaligned.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

On 3/19/2019 at 11:36 AM, Irstina said:

Heys, dunno if you're still following this, but, first - thanks for the guide! Haven't messed around with Blender before, but this was easy enough for me to follow! I do, however, have an issue.

For testing purposes I made a relatively simple pose where the model would cup both of her breasts with her hands. Took a bit of fiddling, but I did get it to fit eventually. However, after importing it to the game, the hands don't actually align the same way they do on the model in Blender.  Here is what it looks like in Blender, and then in-game it actually looks like this.

To be clear, I am using the default UNP body, so the issue shouldn't be there,. Maybe I did something wrong while posing, the pose is correct though, it's just misaligned.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

I am still following this! Always willing to help people out ^.^

The good news is that you are not doing anything wrong. This is issue is a known headache for all pose makers. I'm not 100% sure on the exact reason why it occurs.

My hypothesis is that the issue lies in the junction between blender and the skyrim engine, specifically the .hkx generation process. I believe this because the same issue happens to me when I'm using 3DS max, as well as Blender, so it's not a platform issue nor a user error. I won't get into specifics, all you need to know is how to fix it!

My go to advice for making poses is "Test! Test! Test!". Go in game, test your pose, edit, repeat until done. In your case, I'd actually position the hands somewhere inside the breasts in blender's view, and adjust them as you test. It's weird to work with, I know, but it's what we all gotta do. Good luck! :) 

22 hours ago, Collygon said:

I am still following this! Always willing to help people out ^.^

The good news is that you are not doing anything wrong. This is issue is a known headache for all pose makers. I'm not 100% sure on the exact reason why it occurs.

My hypothesis is that the issue lies in the junction between blender and the skyrim engine, specifically the .hkx generation process. I believe this because the same issue happens to me when I'm using 3DS max, as well as Blender, so it's not a platform issue nor a user error. I won't get into specifics, all you need to know is how to fix it!

My go to advice for making poses is "Test! Test! Test!". Go in game, test your pose, edit, repeat until done. In your case, I'd actually position the hands somewhere inside the breasts in blender's view, and adjust them as you test. It's weird to work with, I know, but it's what we all gotta do. Good luck! :) 

Thanks! It's good to know I wasn't actually messing up. I don't necessarily need that pose in particular, was just testing stuff, but I may be trying some custom poses for some things I'll make~.

One more question, since I forgot the first time: I can't seem to rotate fingers individually. only the thumb. Driver_Finger0 lets me rotate the thumb just fine, but all the other Drivers don't let me move their respective fingers, the only way I can rotate them is with the armature that moves all of them at once. I know it can be done since there are plenty of poses where models point with their index finger or spread all their fingers in different directions, but I can't seem to rotate any of them. I did find one that let me move the fingers instead, but that just breaks them.

Not sure how often it's really relevant, but I was surprised when I couldn't move them, when everything else was mostly natural.

19 hours ago, Irstina said:

Thanks! It's good to know I wasn't actually messing up. I don't necessarily need that pose in particular, was just testing stuff, but I may be trying some custom poses for some things I'll make~.

One more question, since I forgot the first time: I can't seem to rotate fingers individually. only the thumb. Driver_Finger0 lets me rotate the thumb just fine, but all the other Drivers don't let me move their respective fingers, the only way I can rotate them is with the armature that moves all of them at once. I know it can be done since there are plenty of poses where models point with their index finger or spread all their fingers in different directions, but I can't seem to rotate any of them. I did find one that let me move the fingers instead, but that just breaks them.

Not sure how often it's really relevant, but I was surprised when I couldn't move them, when everything else was mostly natural.

This is such a frequently asked question I should probably include a FAQ in this guide. 

Unfortunately, this is a limitation with the Animation Tools N3 rig. It just does not have the ability to manipulate the fingers individually. :/ So you'll have to make do without that capability for now.

Pose makers like myself use custom rigs/skeletons. It's a little more advanced of an operation, so I don't plan on creating a whole tutorial for making one. Sorry about that :( 

18 hours ago, Collygon said:

This is such a frequently asked question I should probably include a FAQ in this guide. 

Unfortunately, this is a limitation with the Animation Tools N3 rig. It just does not have the ability to manipulate the fingers individually. :/ So you'll have to make do without that capability for now.

Pose makers like myself use custom rigs/skeletons. It's a little more advanced of an operation, so I don't plan on creating a whole tutorial for making one. Sorry about that :( 

Aha. No worries, needing to move fingers (aside from pointing at stuff, and there's poses for that already) is a pretty niche thing so it shouldn't be an issue. I was just surprised they were the one thing I couldn't move.

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, TheDaedricDoll said:

Followed this to the letter AFAIK, but hitting Run Script just gets me "Python Script Fail, look in the console for now..."

This is a common issue that is solved by a few things:

1. Try putting 2 "\" in the filepath. Ex: F:\\Modding\\Animation Tools N3\\Skeleton.txt. This is because python can sometimes interpret the single \ as a character 

2. Put zBoneKeys.txt in your Blender installation directory manually. Sometimes the script has trouble locating it and doing this forces the location. 

If those don't work, feel free to send me a message! I'm glad to help out :) 

• 5 months later...

Do you have interest into expanding part about creating poses with objects? For example, show how to add objects (better if multiple) to pose from modder resources. I already know how to make poses and import nif to blender and adjust it's position with pose, but can't figure out how to properly export it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the new rigs! I had found another one on some blog that also let me move fingers, but this should be interesting to look at too.

I've had one issue with every rig I used that I could never figure out though. Knees tend to be kind of difficult to work with when trying to do some kinds of sitting poses. Sitting in a chair or kneeling is fine, but something more complicated such as having the legs under the character tends to make them go crazy.

They either sink too low when I use the pelvis controller or they just generally look wonky. I can adjust them of course but it still doesn't quite looks natural. For clarity's sake: If I try to sit any lower than this, then the knees really don't like it, and since I can only move them left and right and they always move when I move the pelvis, they sink way too low or just look weird. 

Is this some limitation or am I being stupid? I know there's poses like that in some poser mods (for example) but maybe they're doing some other wizardry I'm unaware of.

Is there some sort of way to lock knees into place or such so I can move the pelvis independently of them?

Sorry for the late replies! I've been very busy lately.

On 12/2/2019 at 2:33 PM, Betsujin said:

Do you have interest into expanding part about creating poses with objects? For example, show how to add objects (better if multiple) to pose from modder resources. I already know how to make poses and import nif to blender and adjust it's position with pose, but can't figure out how to properly export it.

Have you downloaded my FreeOBJPoser? Inside is a .blend file with an object called CopyCube! Merge your existing mesh with copycube and then delete the faces of copycube in edit mode. After, simply export your mesh by itself and it should have the correct settings already applied! :) If you have trouble, feel free to send me a PM!

On 12/11/2019 at 2:28 AM, Irstina said:

Thanks for the new rigs! I had found another one on some blog that also let me move fingers, but this should be interesting to look at too.

I've had one issue with every rig I used that I could never figure out though. Knees tend to be kind of difficult to work with when trying to do some kinds of sitting poses. Sitting in a chair or kneeling is fine, but something more complicated such as having the legs under the character tends to make them go crazy.

They either sink too low when I use the pelvis controller or they just generally look wonky. I can adjust them of course but it still doesn't quite looks natural. For clarity's sake: If I try to sit any lower than this, then the knees really don't like it, and since I can only move them left and right and they always move when I move the pelvis, they sink way too low or just look weird. 

Is this some limitation or am I being stupid? I know there's poses like that in some poser mods (for example) but maybe they're doing some other wizardry I'm unaware of.

Is there some sort of way to lock knees into place or such so I can move the pelvis independently of them?

Knees are very tricky! I've used many different rigs in Blender and even 3DS max and they all behave in a similar way. In order to move the knees, you'll have to move the feet. Try rotating them or translating them around. My advice is to put the pelvis where you want it first, and then adjust the feet to get your knees in the right spot. It can be tricky, but once you start working with it, you'll pick it up very quickly!

• 1 month later...

This is the clearest and simplest tutorial for making poses (not animations) I've seen so far and I'm glad I stumbled across it..

But I'm stuck on the step where I set the filepath of skeleton.txt and click Run Script. The system console gives me this error no matter what I write:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Animation Tools N3\Example_Female_UNP.blend\Text", line 71, in <module>

AttributeError: 'bpy_prop_collection' object has no attribute 'active'

Error: Python script failed, check the message in the system console

Here's the file path I set on line 19:

FilePath = "C:\Animation Tools N3\skeleton.txt"

"C:\\Animation Tools N3\\skeleton.txt" doesn't work either. And it gives me the above error no matter where I put the Animation Tools N3 folder.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

I'm using Blender 2.81a; should I be using an earlier version?

---

EDIT: Welp, I'm retarded. Apparently, the answer is yes. Works fine on 2.79b.

On 2/11/2020 at 9:18 AM, arsenic20 said:

This is the clearest and simplest tutorial for making poses (not animations) I've seen so far and I'm glad I stumbled across it..

But I'm stuck on the step where I set the filepath of skeleton.txt and click Run Script. The system console gives me this error no matter what I write:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Animation Tools N3\Example_Female_UNP.blend\Text", line 71, in <module>

AttributeError: 'bpy_prop_collection' object has no attribute 'active'

Error: Python script failed, check the message in the system console

Here's the file path I set on line 19:

FilePath = "C:\Animation Tools N3\skeleton.txt"

"C:\\Animation Tools N3\\skeleton.txt" doesn't work either. And it gives me the above error no matter where I put the Animation Tools N3 folder.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

I'm using Blender 2.81a; should I be using an earlier version?

---

EDIT: Welp, I'm retarded. Apparently, the answer is yes. Works fine on 2.79b.

Sorry I didn't see it in time! But I'm glad you figured it out. Don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have any other questions ^.^

10 hours ago, Collygon said:

Sorry I didn't see it in time! But I'm glad you figured it out. Don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have any other questions ^.^

The rest of the tutorial works perfectly! Even though I'm a total noob I managed to make a pose and successfully tested it in-game. The convert.bat did not give me any y/n options, unlike your screenshots which was kind of weird but I didn't notice any issues caused by it.

I do have one (dumb) question though: How do I change the positioning of the pose's center? I followed your tutorial and this time just moved the body 5 feet to the left in Blender, but in-game it always stays in the center, where I initiated the pose.

Thanks for your willingness to assist. Again, I'll keep trying and update this post if I figure it out myself.

---

EDIT: Nevermind. I was trying to make an object pose but I was positioning the human around a centered object. Once I tried it the other way around it worked fine.

Thanks for the script and great tutorial!

On 2/12/2020 at 7:00 PM, arsenic20 said:

The rest of the tutorial works perfectly! Even though I'm a total noob I managed to make a pose and successfully tested it in-game. The convert.bat did not give me any y/n options, unlike your screenshots which was kind of weird but I didn't notice any issues caused by it.

I do have one (dumb) question though: How do I change the positioning of the pose's center? I followed your tutorial and this time just moved the body 5 feet to the left in Blender, but in-game it always stays in the center, where I initiated the pose.

Thanks for your willingness to assist. Again, I'll keep trying and update this post if I figure it out myself.

---

EDIT: Nevermind. I was trying to make an object pose but I was positioning the human around a centered object. Once I tried it the other way around it worked fine.

Thanks for the script and great tutorial!

Haha, it seems I'm never able to respond in time. I'm impressed by your tenacity though! You keep trying to figure it out on your own; that is awesome! Glad I could be of some help :)

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the tutorial, finally after years I finally had time to try it and everything worked perfectly. 

3. Are you using Blender 2.8? If so, Animation Tools N3 won't work. Download Blender 2.79 instead.

If you replace line 71 and 366
71:SelectedObject = bpy.context.window.scene.objects[0]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and line 366 and replace with this
366:SelectedObject = bpy.context.window.scene.objects[0]

(source)

in the script it seems works with Blender 2.8+ 

Not sure if there is another problem I'm not aware of, but I got my crappy deformed pose into the game with the modified script.