15 minutes ago, 4nk8r said:

Hardlinks.  Not quite the same thing, but the quick succession of link creation steps certainly introduces more chances for failure, if any exists.  Hardlinks are the equivalent of the full file being placed there, but the difference is that there are now more than 1 file handles defined for the same set of data.  Like 2+ filenames that point to the same data.  If you delete 1, the data is still accessible via the remaining hardlinks.  If you had 1 file with 99 additional hardlinks (has to be the same partition for hardlinks to work), you could delete the file 99 times and still have 1 copy left accessible.  Early versions of Windows might have called this crosslinked sectors, except in the case of hardlinks, the crosslinking is done only in the file table.

With symlinks (short for symbolic links), the other links are just pointers to the original file.  Should the hardlink to the original data be deleted, the symlink is still there but no longer attached to the data.  Symlinks can cross partition barriers, but aren't robust at all in regards to data integrity.

It's still a nightmare for the storage. The NTFS file system has an index that remembers every file you had and deleted by name and it keeps growing until you format it. File systems also have a minimal file size that can sometimes be more than the actual file the hardlink links to so it would be more efficient to just move the original file instead of linking to it. All in all I think the linking method is retarded and I think even Wrye Bash is a better mod manager than Vortex.

Edited by swmas
3 minutes ago, swmas said:

It's still a nightmare for the storage. The NTFS file system has an index that remembers every file you had and deleted by name and it keeps growing until you format it. File systems also have a minimal file size that can sometimes be more than the actual file the hardlink links to so it would be more efficient to just move the original file instead of linking to it. All in all I think the linking method is retarded and I think even Wrye Bash is a better mod manager than Vortex.

Isn't WB more like NMM in deployment?  It just raw copies the file into the folder?  Can you point me to what you're talking about with NTFS?  I'd like to read more about that.

7 minutes ago, 4nk8r said:

Do you know of a lean checklist for using MO2 for success in DLL installation?  Something that covers every mandatory step but doesn't delve to far into exposition and such?  I'd like to learn enough about it to be able to point other users in right direction without having to actually get 1st hand experience with it.

I don't know what you expect, MO has a folder that can be anywhere, even on a flash drive and it stores every mod there. You can even put them there manually from windows explorer. You can install mods in MO even without MO running. Each mod is in it's own folder that is exactly like a stand alone version of Skyrim's "Data" folder and MO merges them together on launch.

59 minutes ago, swmas said:

You only copy and paste the Dll in a folder with MO and MO loads it in the game while Vortex spams your game folder with simlinks, creating and deleting simlinks whenever you change something in the load order, I wonder which method is more prone to fail.

You shouldn't be copy pasting. The archive is a fomod installer. Just install it like any fomod.

24 minutes ago, 4nk8r said:

Isn't WB more like NMM in deployment?  It just raw copies the file into the folder?  Can you point me to what you're talking about with NTFS?  I'd like to read more about that.

Yes Wrye Bash copies files from a single specific "installer folder" that it monitors so it knows what file gets overwritten by what. It keeps the archives of mods you download so when you uninstall a mod it recovers files that were deleted in the process. It's more complex imo than what both Vortex and MO does. The advantage to this is that you never have the risk of a file corruption because WB always detects if a file you have installed in Skyrim is different from the files in the installer archive. The disadvantage is that you can't have mod profiles.

About the NTFS you can just google it besides that I can tell you of my experience, when I saw that my "empty" partition had a lot of used space I searched the hidden system files and saw a 5+GB file that I didn't know what it was, after a little google I learned it's an index that keeps name record of ALL your files that were ever on the drive (probably for the government). You can delete that manually but it messes up everything and you have to repair the file system or just reformat the drive and loose all the data.

Edited by swmas
17 minutes ago, chuckseven1 said:

You shouldn't be copy pasting. The archive is a fomod installer. Just install it like any fomod.

So, what is your take on these users' issues getting the DLL's to land in the right location via MO2?  Is it AV related?

6 minutes ago, swmas said:

Yes Wrye Bash copies files from a single specific "installer folder" that it monitors so it knows what file gets overwritten by what. It keeps the archives of mods you download so when you uninstall a mod it recovers files that were deleted in the process. It's more complex imo than what both Vortex and MO does. The advantage to this is that you never have the risk of a file corruption because WB always detects if a file you have installed in Skyrim is different from the files in the installer archive. The disadvantage is that you can't have mod profiles.

About the NTFS you can just google it besides that I can tell you of my experience, when I saw that my "empty" partition had a lot of used space I searched the hidden system files and saw a 5+GB file that I didn't know what it was, after a little google I learned it's an index that keeps name record of ALL your files that were ever on the drive (probably for the government). You can delete that manually but it messes up everything and you have to repair the file system or just reformat the drive and loose all the data.

Yeah, I've attempted to go pure WB in the past, but I found the FOMOD support in it lacking and requiring too much manual intervention to seriously consider using as a primary manager.  Maybe that has changed.  It's been a few years since I tried.

2 minutes ago, 4nk8r said:

Yeah, I've attempted to go pure WB in the past, but I found the FOMOD support in it lacking and requiring too much manual intervention to seriously consider using as a primary manager.  Maybe that has changed.  It's been a few years since I tried.

That's how I learned real modding lol, by taking fomod installers and repacking them to work with WB. I don't think this changed.

1 hour ago, swmas said:

So it knows what to copypaste. What's your point?

If scripted makes a difference in how MO2 treats a mod's contents vs anything included in your typical zipped mod, that is worth looking into.  Otherwise, I'm merely indicating FOMOD has more features than a zip for any other readers that might not know better.

Look.  I'm just trying to learn a bit more about what seems to be a trend in user issues so I can help them, but you still seem on the defensive as if I'm searching for some way to slander MO2.  If I'm off base on MO2's relationship to this trend, that's great.  If I'm off base on your reactions, my apologies.  You just still seem confrontational.

Since I'm not really interested in investing much time researching MO2 behavior looking for some step you're implying doesn't exist, and you're sure these users are just getting tripped up by their AV, I'm going to bow out of this engagement and leave you in peace to your paradigm.  Cheers.

1 hour ago, 4nk8r said:

If scripted makes a difference in how MO2 treats a mod's contents vs anything included in your typical zipped mod, that is worth looking into.  Otherwise, I'm merely indicating FOMOD has more features than a zip for any other readers that might not know better.

Look.  I'm just trying to learn a bit more about what seems to be a trend in user issues so I can help them, but you still seem on the defensive as if I'm searching for some way to slander MO2.  If I'm off base on MO2's relationship to this trend, that's great.  If I'm off base on your reactions, my apologies.  You just still seem confrontational.

Since I'm not really interested in investing much time researching MO2 behavior looking for some step you're implying doesn't exist, and you're sure these users are just getting tripped up by their AV, I'm going to bow out of this engagement and leave you in peace to your paradigm.  Cheers.

I'm not confrontational but why were you stating the obvious to me?

If you're this interested install MO and try it yourself instead of assuming it breaks mods, you're not helping anyone like this.

54 minutes ago, chuckseven1 said:

Yes I know I wrote it. But when someone has issue my first guess is they did the copy/paste wrong. If they run my installer I know it's actually in the right place.

I didn't realize it was you who made it. Big fan of your DAR conversion mods.

Lmao, where did all this sudden discourse come from?? Why is everyone suddenly arguing about the best mod organizers? Can't we all just agree to disagree?

Well, I'm here to post for the last time before I find any new alternates--if you are STILL having issues with schlongs of skyrim, there is an alternate for that.

• It's called SAM Lite: It's an SOS alternate mod, and just like SOS SE lite, it has limited functionality, but at the very least you'll still get schlongs for your male NPCs and male PC (well most of them anyway)
    • As far as I know, there is no functionality for futanari--so no schlongs for the ladies, if you want that you'll just have to figure out how to get the OG SOS to working in Skyrim again.
    • There is a full version for this mod, but I believe it only works for the oldrim port
    • There are some revealing armors for it, but I haven't tested them, so I can't really tell you if they work or not.
    • Another drawback (I completely forgot about) is there is no schlong support for werewolves or vampire lords--sorry, mates.
  • Another alternate to the alternate is SavrenX's Schlong of SAM Lite (yes, literally SOS) it's an updated port of SAM Lite with an HDT overlay.
    • I personally haven't tried this one, but from the reviews, it seems like it's a good alternate to those who can't seem to get LL's SOS working.
    • Bonus is, you can adjust schlong size and get more options versus SAM lite, so that's good.
    • No idea if it has futa support tho, but it does have revealing armors.

Both of these come from the website of the original creator of Schlong's of Skyrim, vectorplexus--as far as I know, I don't believe they are still active on this site, but you can always still try and reach out to them or any of the other content creators on this sight, their stuff looks pretty dope.

Edited by J.Davis
Forgot to mention a few more details
4 minutes ago, J.Davis said:

Lmao, where did all this sudden discourse come from?? Why is everyone suddenly arguing about the best mod organizers? Can't we all just agree to disagree?

Well, I'm here to post for the last time before I find any new alternates--if you are STILL having issues with schlongs of skyrim, there is an alternate for that.

• It's called SAM Lite: It's an SOS alternate mode, and just like SOS SE lite, it has limited functionality, but at the very least you'll still get schlongs for your male NPCs and male PC
    • As far as I know, there is no functionality for futanari--so no schlongs for the ladies, if you want that you'll just have to figure out how to get the OG SOS to working in Skyrim again.
    • There is a full version for this mod, but I believe it only works for the oldrim port
    • There are some revealing armors for it, but I haven't tested them, so I can't really tell you if they work or not.
  • Another alternate to the alternate is SavrenX's Schlong of SAM Lite (yes, literally SOS) it's an updated port of SAM Lite with an HDT overlay.
    • I personally haven't tried this one, but from the reviews, it seems like it's a good alternate to those who can't seem to get LL's SOS working.
    • Bonus is, you can adjust schlong size and get more options versus SAM lite, so that's good.
    • No idea if it has futa support tho, but it does have revealing armors.

Both of these come from the website of the original creator of Schlong's of Skyrim, vectorplexus--as far as I know, I don't believe they are still active on this site, but you can always still try and reach out to them or any of the other content creators on this sight, their stuff looks pretty dope.

I disagree with what you just said.

A heads up for the Virtual Reality users out there who are probably confused about why they have no schlongs: The cloak spells that many mods rely on to affect npcs in the game to enable their mod effects don't seem to work very well in SkyrimVR, or at least the one SOS has built in doesn't. You might find that NPCs aren't properly getting schlongs as a result. SOS Uncloaked with SPID for VR miiiight help but you'll notice that dead NPCs retain underwear, which won't be that big of a deal for most.

Otherwise, if some intrepid SKSE coder wants to see if they can fix it, that's the info I've gathered thru extensive testing: Cloak spells don't work for SkyrimVR for the most part, and when a spell or ability is directly applied via SPID to dead actors, they just don't apply the magic effects associated with the spell for some reason.

Now that SOS can work with AE thanks to 

I was reminded of an old pain when setting up for a new playthrough post AE upgrade.  Namely, having to dick about (pun intended) with NifSkope if I wanted to change my character's, ahem, size, namely because SOS's MCM locked the option out with a greyed-out "sosracemenu" selection.  With RM not yet properly AE, this was more a problem than it was before.  I just happen to be better at searching nowadays.  Disable the sosracemenu plugin and *poof*!  MCM happy again for quick changes.

Sure, the racemenu option (when fully working under previous SSE versions) was good to use occasionally with more parameters but not currently an option anyway!

Edited by ShinsFortress
21 hours ago, chuckseven1 said:

The cosave formats are incompatible. The only way to use it on an existing save is to get SKSE to drop all the SOS cosave data and then my DLL will start fresh. You will lose the SOS specific data but nothing else. This is what the workarounds people are posting do. I cannot create a patch because I do not have the source for the original DLL.

how can I do that?

Hello and thank you very much for this great mod that I love very much. I have questions about the mod. If I'd better post the question in a different thread, let me know and I'll delete it here. I play a gay male hero. With SOS I have set that all women have a penis or horse penis. Can I also set the SOS or Sexlab so that female NPCs also take on the male role in sex, i.e. stick their penis in my butt as they would do in the case with a strap-on?

1 hour ago, deejayz said:

Hello and thank you very much for this great mod that I love very much. I have questions about the mod. If I'd better post the question in a different thread, let me know and I'll delete it here. I play a gay male hero. With SOS I have set that all women have a penis or horse penis. Can I also set the SOS or Sexlab so that female NPCs also take on the male role in sex, i.e. stick their penis in my butt as they would do in the case with a strap-on?

There are a few ways to do this. 

1. Set a specific female character's Sexlab Gender to Male in the Sexlab Animations menu. 

2. Use the Sexlab SOS Add-On (you will have to convert it for use with Special Edition by saving it in the Creation Kit)to enable universal gender tags to be assigned to any character with a given SOS type. For example, one may wish to assign every female character using SOS UNP to use Male animations but want any female character using SOS Pubic Hair or No Balls add-on to be recognized as Female, these can be separately assigned.

3. Use Sexlab Eager NPCs as it also has a means of assigning gender roles to anyone with a given SOS type. 

On 11/16/2021 at 9:16 PM, dage7416 said:

Has anyone else had the situation where SOS is not interacting with the Vagina physics? I am using SOS with the hdt-smp addon along with cbbe 3ba full smp. During solo animations the collisions are indeed working for the vagina but they do not seem to be effected by SOS. Thank you.

- I should clarify that SOS does work with cbpc collisions for vagina, just not smp vagina from full smp settings

I also had this issue, and while I can't remember the exact steps, my MO setup says that I'm using the SE version of SOS plus the Schaken Mods HDT Collision Conversions, so maybe see if frankensteining that in helps at all. I definitely downloaded several other non-LL HDT-SMP SOS configs in a desperate bid to get the collisions to work (and they do now), so I know it's possible with the existing configs out there.