Is my game script heavy?

IGotBored

1 minute ago, flutie said:

dont know about yours, but i have had upwards of 20k scripts running, frostfall, rnd, sexlab etc,I run an intel i7 quad 4.3, gtx 760 4gb, 32 gb ram. My game runs good

holy shit. wait how do you check how many scripts are running? 

Only 6k scripts here.

Game doesn't run as stable as I'd like though.

But that's probably my fault, I still play the same savegame for dozens of hours now and I keep removing previously added mods all the time.

Basically what you shouldn't do under any circumstances. ^^

Then again the only one that refused to uninstall so far was Death Alternative. I had to deactivate it in the MCM and keep it around, dormant and only waiting for the occasional camera and controls bug so I can use the "Fix Player Controls" option. Trying to uninstall it completely only leads to saving and loading games being essentially broken (CTDs all the time).

So I will have to restart completely to be able to uninstall it for good.

Fuck this mod, seriously.

edit:

There is no way to get 20K scripts running at the same time though.

These are just baked into the savegame, the ones currently running are listed separately.

In my case that would be only 3 for the quicksave slot atm, with a little above 30 as the highest count on all other savegames.

ok, that makes sense, it just states "high script count" then the amount of scripts, it was when i was running amorous, infamy, SLkidnap, rnd, frostfall, sexlab, beyond skyrim-bruma etc, alot of script heavy mods, currently 6531 scripts, 80677 script instances, thanks for the clarification @Bazinga

Thanks to crash fixes the script count doesn't really matter anymore, at least it removes the limit and has afaik no downsides. To consider if it's script heavy what really matters are the running scripts, which isn't necessarily related to the amount of scripts installed. I don't think it has been tested, but i'd assume it's totally possible to break the game with a single mod that runs 10-50 scripts per second, on the other hand a game with 100k scripts can be totally fine if only few of them run at the same time.

Therefore, calling mods script heavy just because they include a lot of scripts is misleading, at least if you consider script heavy bad by default.

Two other categories i'd rather call script heavy: 

1. running scripts often

2. running many scripts at once

The second part is hard to avoid i guess in some circumstances, but should be kept in mind. For example i had some problems to do that quest for the brotherhood, killing the bride and then be captured by XPO. XPO starts a lot of scripts if you're captured, and because of my number of mods which were running all the time + bad papyrus settings, i always got stack dumps when i was captured. Honestly that was rather by my bad settings, but nevertheless those didn't do much until i got into a situation which stressed papyrus enough.

In this case: vanilla game running scripts because of the quest, lot of NPCs around, XPO doing the capturing and DDi recognizing all the stuff i got when i was captured. And all the mods with regular checks ofc, like creature framework, SLAR, RND,...

So what i do quite often to consider if my game is too script heavy is check at least the file size of my logs after such situation where i expect a lot of scripts run at once, if it's big i check for stack dumps, that's what you definitly don't want to happen because they break your game, often beyond repair. Especially since you can play hours and hours without really getting stuck, you just notice that some things seem strange.

Less problematic but still annoying at times is script lag, when a quest requires an update or something and it doesn't happen in time so the quest breaks. But this is something usually recognized short after and a simple reload & try again should fix it. Actually i'd rather consider this annoying for modders who get bug reports they can't reproduce then for players. ;)

For the first part, in many cases settings are much more important than a pure mod list. SLAR & CF impact for example can be reduced a lot by reducing scanning times /disabling SLAR support in CF at all, and so on. Generally when you see an MCM option for scanning times or checks which are counted in seconds, you really should think if it's necessary to do that scan every 5 seconds or if maybe every minute would be enough. And even if there are only daily checks or something, try to avoid to make those checks by several mods at the same time as far as possible & known.

2 things I notice immediately in your load order:

1 - XPMSE - unless you are using the alternative animations either disable it in the MCM menu (turn off everything you can), I have had this give me dump stack errors by itself.

2 - Creature Framework - If you still have it at default settings it runs way too often, it will scan every actor within a 2 cell radius every 5 seconds. Drop this to 30 and cut the distance to 1 cell and it will make your game a lot more stable.

9 hours ago, Veladarius said:

2 things I notice immediately in your load order:

1 - XPMSE - unless you are using the alternative animations either disable it in the MCM menu (turn off everything you can), I have had this give me dump stack errors by itself.

2 - Creature Framework - If you still have it at default settings it runs way too often, it will scan every actor within a 2 cell radius every 5 seconds. Drop this to 30 and cut the distance to 1 cell and it will make your game a lot more stable.

Thanks for the advice but what do you mean by alternative animations? You mean the floating breast magic? Im just using it for having different weapon positions. 

Archived