[mod] Noxbestia's Darkest Perversions

1 hour ago, NoxBestia said:

At this time they are quite incompatible.  At some point there will be a compatibility module for AGOT but due to the massive amount of reworking that I am going to have to do for several of my custom races it has been pushed lower down into the queue.

Thank you for the prompt reply, can't wait to see how everything turn out.

15 minutes ago, MinisterMichael said:

I feel like people should really stop assuming overhaul mods will be compatible.

It must be really annoying to mod developers.

The only reason that I assumed that it might be compatible is because previous versions were and the .txt file that comes with the main mod literally says:

# This project is envisioned as a self-supporting mod that can be    #
# used in some of the other major mods out there, such as AGOT,      #
# Warhammer, CK2+, and so on.                                        #

6 minutes ago, Eathlome said:

Thank you for the prompt reply, can't wait to see how everything turn out.

The only reason that I assumed that it might be compatible is because previous versions were and the .txt file that comes with the main mod literally says:

At some point the AGOT team redid some of their custom races.  Since a number of my own custom races were made with AGOT assets this broke what compatibility I used to have.  I have a couple of different ways to fix the problem that I want to try at some point.

Another challenge is that compatibility with AGOT is a trick because of all the errors it throws, so I have to spend considerable extra time try to figure out what bugs are theirs verus what bugs are mine.  

29 minutes ago, MinisterMichael said:

I feel like people should really stop assuming overhaul mods will be compatible.

It must be really annoying to mod developers.

In the case of NDPA it is quite understandable.  I have stated that I want to make it compatible with a number of overhaul mods, including CK2Plus, HIP, AGOT, and Warhammer.  Since I use assets from both AGOT and Warhammer, they will be the most challenging to make work, but with time all of it will.

1 hour ago, NoxBestia said:

In the case of NDPA it is quite understandable.  I have stated that I want to make it compatible with a number of overhaul mods, including CK2Plus, HIP, AGOT, and Warhammer.  Since I use assets from both AGOT and Warhammer, they will be the most challenging to make work, but with time all of it will.

I guess I think your time is better spent working on your own mod, rather than fixing someone else's.

Some of my irritation may come from looking at the steam workshop for EU4, where there will always be 10-15 comments demanding Extended Timeline compatibility, despite ET being fairly intrusive as a mod. So it may all be misplaced frustration. 

Thankfully Lovers Lab isn't that cancerous.

6 hours ago, Battle.cry said:

Hey there.

Just wanted to ask when we can expect next update :smile: if it is a matter of days, weeks or longer. 

Just for information, no need to rush it or something like that :smile:

thank you.

I have a nice content and partial mechanic update somewhat ready, but playtesting is showing that it is still buggy as hell.  The game's behavior is NOT matching the wiki documentation or what the notes in the CK2 files say it should.

In fact, @ngppgn or anyone else who might know, any idea WTF is up with the building creation control???  In the code sample below, the first line is supposed to be the percentage chance out of 100 (or maybe weight against other buildings?) that that AI uses to build something.  The second line is supposed to say that if there is X many tech points left over in a province at the start of a game then maybe build the building.  In reality, nearly all places that I go to conquer have this (and several other similarly coded buildings) already built!!!  CK2 vanilla uses this exact code right and left and it _seems_ to work... or there are other factors limiting the buildings from being built and this code is really borked.  This won't be the first time that the wiki and game behavior don't match what is documented, but this is used in CK2 vanilla a LOT!

ai_creation_factor = 5
extra_tech_building_start = 10.0 # Never get at start of game

The second line should indeed prevent the building to appear at start, but doesn't stop thw ai in any way once the game has started. Are you saying this is not the case?

And I think the first line is a weight against other buildings, or a "the available building with the highest score is picked always first" thingie.

Can we see the entire building definition? Maybe it's a matter of the building being too cheap so it's the only one the ai can afford early on or somethinf along these lines.

On 3/4/2018 at 8:52 AM, ngppgn said:

The second line should indeed prevent the building to appear at start, but doesn't stop thw ai in any way once the game has started. Are you saying this is not the case?

And I think the first line is a weight against other buildings, or a "the available building with the highest score is picked always first" thingie.

Can we see the entire building definition? Maybe it's a matter of the building being too cheap so it's the only one the ai can afford early on or somethinf along these lines.

I tweaked a few things and now I have it working as desired.  Still not sure that the above code works as expected, but adding a couple of prerequisite buildings and tweaking a few things has the building behavior working more or less as desired.

On 3/4/2018 at 6:55 AM, penzor said:

You should probably bring those kind of problems to the pdox official forums, or maybe reddit if you prefer.

Past two times I asked in the quick questions I never got an answer.  Often my questions tend to be stuff that a lot of people just don't know.  Sometimes I have learned things by trial and error that go against what is commonly believed, and I have a few things that aren't even in the wiki that I learned from the DEVs directly or are jsut mentioned in the changelog but never expounded upon.

Of Night Wolves & Grandfather Wolf

This weekend I was working on Kitsune and Night Wolves mechanics and I had an interesting coding success.  I was able to write a bit of code that ties ALL night wolves back to Grandfather Wolf (even if he is dead).  I once thought this wasn't possible or would be so processor heavy that it would not be worth doing, but that proved to (technically) not be the case.  I say technically because I haven't optimize the code yet and it made hundreds of nightwolves direct children of Grandfather wolf rather than their closest real descendant, which caused a bit of lag anytime I tried to interact with him.  But that can and will be fixed.  :smile:

This does present an interesting opportunity.  I can technically make it so that Night Wolves are never, or almost never, lowborn.  But should I?  Part of me thinks that would be cool and with a culture that doesn't care about fidelity and a blood inheritance trait that is visible.  Another part worries about save file bloat.  Just tying them back to Grandfather Wolf will cause an increase in save file.  I only played for about 20 years so I don't know how bad it will get.  For perspective, I was playing a custom nomad, so all of the clans were Night Wolves and I was generating a LOT of them and in those 20 years the save file wasn't too unruly.  However, I run an I7-5930 with 16GB of RAM, so I have a fairly powerful box and don't notice things that would kill an older system.

I am going to attempt to run however long of a game I need to legitimately nomad conquer and purge all of the Empires of Russia and Persia before going tribal and then see what kind of performance and save file bloat I have at the end of that.  I am guessing that will give a couple hundred years of game time (at least) if do to nothing more than the damned coalitions against me.

Anyway, feel free to comment in on this if you wish to try to sway me one way or the other (for mechanic or story reasons).  Right now, I'm just stoked that I was able to even do it and enjoying mucking with it while also debugging other things like half breeds, custom buildings, and Fox Magic.

I also have a variant on the "visit chambers" decision that is currently completely unlocked and allows to you either impregnate someone else or be impregnated by someone in your realm.  For right now I am considering it a cheat, but if there is interest I may make it an independent rule so that the individual player can choose whether they want the power unrestricted or whether the system checks to see if the the other party is willing.  Currently my experiments with it have shown me some bugs in my breeding system that I hadn't noticed before, so it is already showing its worth.  Plus, I love to be able to click anyone in my realm and impregnate them or them me, but I'm jsut perverted like that.  :tongue:  

It's been a bit since you talked Night Wolf lore, but from my recollection they should all be related to GFW. Then again, I'd ere on the side of non-bloat myself.

Is it the number of NW's this creates without the fertility penalty? Or is it specifically the relationship with GFW? If it's the latter, perhaps have the bloodlines only stretching back to the clan mother? And have GFW be an offmap/mythic entity. You could even use that as an excuse to give the different clans distinct traits: I.E NWs with *this* bloodline manifest the fair trait, while all males from this one have a giant dick abd balls. Ect. That might be too complex/not fitting with your vision tho.

6 hours ago, NoxBestia said:

Of Night Wolves & Grandfather Wolf

This weekend I was working on Kitsune and Night Wolves mechanics and I had an interesting coding success.  I was able to write a bit of code that ties ALL night wolves back to Grandfather Wolf (even if he is dead).  I once thought this wasn't possible or would be so processor heavy that it would not be worth doing, but that proved to (technically) not be the case.  I say technically because I haven't optimize the code yet and it made hundreds of nightwolves direct children of Grandfather wolf rather than their closest real descendant, which caused a bit of lag anytime I tried to interact with him.  But that can and will be fixed.  :smile:

This does present an interesting opportunity.  I can technically make it so that Night Wolves are never, or almost never, lowborn.  But should I?  Part of me thinks that would be cool and with a culture that doesn't care about fidelity and a blood inheritance trait that is visible.  Another part worries about save file bloat.  Just tying them back to Grandfather Wolf will cause an increase in save file.  I only played for about 20 years so I don't know how bad it will get.  For perspective, I was playing a custom nomad, so all of the clans were Night Wolves and I was generating a LOT of them and in those 20 years the save file wasn't too unruly.  However, I run an I7-5930 with 16GB of RAM, so I have a fairly powerful box and don't notice things that would kill an older system.

I am going to attempt to run however long of a game I need to legitimately nomad conquer and purge all of the Empires of Russia and Persia before going tribal and then see what kind of performance and save file bloat I have at the end of that.  I am guessing that will give a couple hundred years of game time (at least) if do to nothing more than the damned coalitions against me.

Anyway, feel free to comment in on this if you wish to try to sway me one way or the other (for mechanic or story reasons).  Right now, I'm just stoked that I was able to even do it and enjoying mucking with it while also debugging other things like half breeds, custom buildings, and Fox Magic.

I also have a variant on the "visit chambers" decision that is currently completely unlocked and allows to you either impregnate someone else or be impregnated by someone in your realm.  For right now I am considering it a cheat, but if there is interest I may make it an independent rule so that the individual player can choose whether they want the power unrestricted or whether the system checks to see if the the other party is willing.  Currently my experiments with it have shown me some bugs in my breeding system that I hadn't noticed before, so it is already showing its worth.  Plus, I love to be able to click anyone in my realm and impregnate them or them me, but I'm jsut perverted like that.  :tongue:  

Thinking about the kind of code you're using to tie everything back makes me sort of want to say take it easy on the specs haha.

I do think the visit chambers would be a neat rule if we let both the player, and AI choose whether they are willing.

I can't get any content from this mod to show up. I added the .mod file and NoxDPA-DarkWorldReborn_Supplement folder to the mod folder and it shows up in the mods tab, but I can't see any of the game rules or any content. The only other mod I have running Dark world and it is working fine. Was I supposed to do something special with the installation? I'm new at this so I may have missed something basic.

Edit: I think it didn’t work because I only copied in the supplemental part. Ugh I'm having an off day today.

22 hours ago, Bah! said:

Thinking about the kind of code you're using to tie everything back makes me sort of want to say take it easy on the specs haha.

I do think the visit chambers would be a neat rule if we let both the player, and AI choose whether they are willing.

I'm going to be also testing my mod on my laptop, which does not have stellar performance.  That will help me know when I am overdoing it.

On 3/6/2018 at 6:13 PM, Fl0g said:

I'm sorry for your loss. 

On 3/7/2018 at 5:14 AM, Silmarion said:

My deepest sympathies for your loss.

On 3/7/2018 at 10:24 AM, Abominus said:

Hope you get well, Nox.

Thank you all.  I know this kind of thing is often awkward in a public forum like this.  

I believe I have grieved and recovered enough to be able to write again.  Even while I couldn't bring myself to write or code, I did make a handful of new trait icons so at least a few more traits won't be a dull beige circle.

On 3/6/2018 at 3:52 PM, NoxBestia said:

I'm going to be also testing my mod on my laptop, which does not have stellar performance.  That will help me know when I am overdoing it.

Well, this wasn't one of my better ideas since I did some tweaks here and there.  Now I have to seperate forks of code and I wasn't in mental condition to keep track of what all I changed in one versus the other.  But I should have that sorted before today is out.  Apparently I just imagined it.  The code itself and file modified timestamp matched what is on my main machine.

As for performance, NDPA (running by itself) did surprisingly well, which pleases me.

New Character View Interface for NDPA

It is quite evident that I am trait-happy.  Unfortunately, CK2 designers have not increased the space for traits in the default interface even as they have increased the number of traits assigned.  I would like recommendations of what you think would be the best character interface layout for NDPA from any CK2 MOD (even/especially if it is dead).  If possible, I would prefer one with the full width or close to it dedicated to traits.  An idea one would have nearly as much space allocated for titles held, especially for when you are playing a nomad and they all blur together.  As I still insist on maintaining compatibility with the lowest resolution CK2 can be played with, it can't be taller than the default of 772 pixels (which is barely usable on a 768 pixel tall resolution).  A but wider is okay/desired, so long as it is not absurdly wide; I also would prefer to be able to make this compatible with all the other major overhaul MODs I plan on supporting rather than having to disable mine and fallback to theirs.  Here is the unpopulated one from the game as a quick reference:

image.thumb.png.a564519ac4c0a8cc105f406b182ea334.png