Skyrim 64bit Special Edition Announced

or more likely people will develop for Skyrim classic, then port to SSE to make sure everyone can use a given mod. I know this is how I plan to make mods for quite a while.

I hope that's how things go, and it's cool that you intend to work that way. I've been kind of surprised that almost no one is talking about this issue.

One idea I've seen floating around is that people could make a graphical downgrade mod for SSE to lower its requirements, like the Ultra Low Graphics mod does for the original. Is that something that could work?

Knowing Bethesda the textures are bloated to hell and not optimized at all. I'm sure someone will release an SE version of Optimized Vanilla Textures before long. That can go a long way for some people in performance.

So just a console port, not really interested. Spent years modding my game, finally get nice, relatively stable 200+ mods build. Ain't gonna dig this shit again just for 64 bit. Also many old mods without author's support / wish won't be updated at all. Maybe the only use of SSE for me is installing Enderal (if it will be updated) or some other global mod on it, so it won't interfere Skyrim's settings/load order.

The only thing I'm afraid of is stopping mod development for old Skyrim, hope that won't happen.

What I gathered, Bethesda is going to release new CK on next week, after halloween. Nifscope has already been updated to work with new .nif formats (tho ive seen someone to report that body mods for 32bit version works in SSE). Textures doesnt support .tga formats anymore and im not sure if you need update your dds tools, but theres allready one skin texture mod in nexus.

Also converting the old mods to SSE is made easy. Open old version in new CK and save to updated version.

EDIT: theres been flying around a link to Arthmoors post in afkmods forums where he tells about modding SSE. He says that bethesda  didnt change anything about scripts in SSE. Basicly it means that if mod is using vanilla scripting it will work on SSE.

To test SSE's stability, try spawning 5000 bandits at once.

​Just tested this and the game didn't crash! CPU usage went up to 100% and FPS dropped to 1 over the few minutes it took for them all to spawn, but the game never crashed - a really good sign. The game seems really stable in general and it feels great that we're finally on a 64-bit platform. One slightly unrelated thing is I tried playing the game at 5K resolution and the UI scaled with it perfectly. I am definitely waiting for my favourite mods to get ported over to this so I won't be stuck on my crashing 32-bit install.

post-338924-0-17443400-1477663333_thumb.jpg

post-338924-0-97971000-1477663336_thumb.jpg

Just installed, but still don't played, anyone knows a tool to extract the bsa files? The old bsa extractors don't work yet.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/913/?

Thanks!

Extracted the textures, same as old one.

Played for 30minutes now.

The new water is good, i like it.

The loading times are amazing fast, but i start a new game, no mods etc... could not be different, in my old skyrim the loading times are not so different.

It's not fair to compare old skyrim with this "new" one... modders have 5 years to make stuff, remake textures, enb's, animations etc... and this new skyrim is just a internal trainee program, but life is not fair so i will compare.

The new stuff they add is nice, for console players, and only for console players, in PC we can get everything they add and much much more and much better, 64 bits support ok, cool, but mods are not blocked by 32bits plataform anymore, the time when we have to change the hair in water to avoid crash is long gone.

The biggest thing i miss is some PBR support, with a updated engine, 64bits, fancy stuff, they could added the PBR system from FO4, would make things a lot better, and a upgrading worth it.

I haven't downloaded the SSE yet, but I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me. Are you able to copy and paste your old .nif and .dds files (like bodymeshes for example) and use them in the new Skyrim, or has the .nif format and .dds format changed?

I haven't downloaded the SSE yet, but I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me. Are you able to copy and paste your old .nif and .dds files (like bodymeshes for example) and use them in the new Skyrim, or has the .nif format and .dds format changed?

i have custom body meshes and the game crash when tries to load it, even doing this "fix"  http://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/topic/4633-skyrim-se-things-to-know-when-converting-standard-mods-to-sse/

but people says unp and cbbe are ok, and textures.dds too.

Standing by for CBBE and rape animations... I mean without all that, the game just isn't as immersive as it could be. Considering everything said in this thread, Skyrim SE could shall carry on into the 2020's as the most advanced story driven sex simulator RPG ever made.

Meanwhile... 238 active plugins and no save bloat is a blessing. 32bit engine is haulin ass. Hard.

Apparently the audio is drastically downgraded . I can hear the difference even with the crappy headphones at work. And there is some confusion about is SSE the same game as Oldrim. So I took the liberty of asking gstaff about this

Are people sure about that? Because the audio .bsa archives are bigger in size for SSE, not smaller.

Though Skyrim's audio is lacking in general, both old and new.

Apparently the audio is drastically downgraded . I can hear the difference even with the crappy headphones at work. And there is some confusion about is SSE the same game as Oldrim. So I took the liberty of asking gstaff about this

Are people sure about that? Because the audio .bsa archives are bigger in size for SSE, not smaller.

Though Skyrim's audio is lacking in general, both old and new.

The OP there has posted an example on soundcloud 

He says about the sizes of the two files:

"Vanilla: 1.73MB

Special Edition: 62kb"

The Oldrim file is a wav, the SSE one is xwm. The OP there seems to think that there is a possibility to compress the wav files with less losses and make it a mod, but there is an uncertainty about porting content from Oldrim to SSE.  

Feels meh, can't play as my waifu with PSQ so no point in playing it right now. Gotta wait month or two.

Kinda expected more *remaster* stuff like updated animations, characters and all that stuff. Its Skyrim with piss filter, extreme dof and forced motion blur, blurry upscaled textures, terrible clutter textures.

And no CK at release, seriously.

Not worth 40 bucks unless you got i for free.

Well, that is in the act IRONIE.  :lol: and to the Death Laughter. 00008353.gif

its not funny, this is serious.

this could kill my own mods. all that it will take is for one required mod to go SE only, then its good bye to "Horny Dragons of Skyrim", because i'm not going to work on something that i can not use.

all of this is happening because they did not make a 64bit version 5 years ago, if they did it would have been XP compatible and i would not have this problem now.

While my hardware is never really up-to-date either, i'd worry more about 9 year old hardware breaking than mods. ;)

If that's a relief to you, i wouldn't expect most LL stuff working before next year, not even mentioning all. That maybe never will, so... even if you won't get new hardware ever (what i doubt somehow), there will probably be some ppl who stay on x32 Skyrim because their favorite mod is abandoned or something and doesn't get an update.