would you rather get Fallout 4.5 ("New Orleans") or Elder Scrolls 6 ("Argonia")?

As for a new Elder Scrolls..  [...]  Hopefully, fingers again crossed, they rebuild the engine from the ground up this time.

Just a consideration.

Rebuilding an engine from scratch cost a huge amount of money and requires years.

And who does it, usually do not use it for a "flag ship" game, not in the first release.

Having an updated game engine is way more common in game developments.

Or, moving to an already existing and valid game engine is another option that is used more and more in the last 5 years.

I think it'd be neat if the next Fallout game took place in a rural region of entirely different country. Like Wales in the UK, Lolland (lololol!) in Denmark, the area around Kampen in the Netherlands (half of which would be flooded during a Nuclear War, except that most stubborn and annoying village called Urk), or maybe the region between Dresden and Prague (awesome mountainranges there for long hikes, the Russians used to have several nuclear rocket bases in that region).

Basically, see how other parts of the world fare after a nuclear war, the regions that suffered totally different problems than just radiation (though they'd still get their share), like flooding, isolation, nuclear winter, change of climate from normal to tropical, etc.

That and why Bethesda's Fallout occurs only in the U.S. we've discussed many years ago elsewhere already. They won't change that (the average player wouldn't find Wales or LoL-Land on a map anyway) and actually it's fine by me. By the Antarctic penguin, I'm a patriotic Southerner, very patriotic, jejeje :lol:

Well the rumor is that Beth is East coast locales and Obsidian West Coast. But then again there's the New Orleans art pic so who knows.

I cannot wait for a new Elder Scrolls though. Course there's nothing to stop them from coming out back to back being different studios and all. But Argonia sounds boring as far as locations go.

id rather get FO New Reno

Just imagine a New Reno in a current gen engine...

I think it'd be neat if the next Fallout game took place in a rural region of entirely different country.

Americana is one of the main points of FO (if not the main), in terms of lore/ambientation. A FO game out of the USA simply is not a FO game.

Well the rumor is that Beth is East coast locales and Obsidian West Coast. But then again there's the New Orleans art pic so who knows.

More than a rumor, is a fanbase wish. A lovely one, though.

About New Orleans, there is concept art too? By Obsidian? I thought all the rumors were just based on a J. Sawyer tweet.

I admit, I'm a bit tired of Fallout being set in America. Perhaps because all the patriotism (or remnants of patriotism) seem really weird to me as a Non-American. Here in Germany no one would even think of putting a German flag on their wall (unless there's a soccer tournament going on).

Perhaps I just want a rural setting, though. I loved New Vegas with its wide-open environment and the country-style charm.

I admit, I'm a bit tired of Fallout being set in America. Perhaps because all the patriotism (or remnants of patriotism) seem really weird to me as a Non-American. Here in Germany no one would even think of putting a German flag on their wall (unless there's a soccer tournament going on).

Perhaps I just want a rural setting, though. I loved New Vegas with its wide-open environment and the country-style charm.

As an American, I'm just as tired of it. Hell, even if the next one is on the Moon I'd want factions with a variety of nationalities, not just the U.S. view.

For what I want, really, is kind of the opposite of yours. I didn't mind NV, but FO3's suburbia and city exploration was what drew me in (a draw greatly enhanced with the DCInteriors mod). I like devastated cities and wrecked residential areas full of explorable buildings instead of boarded-up structures. I want to watch as a decaying skyscraper finally succumbs to gravity and takes out others around it as it falls. A ruined city taken over by mutated plantlife and roaming genetic monstrocities that battle with the remnants of survivors from a hidden vault, where only an occasional beam of sunlight pierces the gloomy, storm-clouded atmosphere.

I like doom and gloom in my Fallout world, with scattered rays of brightness and hope. Seems more in tune with an aftermath, even after 200+ years.

As an American (I simply can't resist the ambiguous term), methinks Fallout is perfectly placed in the North 'cause the authors and developers of the series have hardly any idea of the different regions in the South of the Americas or elsewhere, and Fallout is always regionally set up which inevitably requires profound geographical and cultural knowledge. Thus, a nice location for a sequel might be indeed the Mississippi River Delta in Louisiana. I always wanted to play naughty Elaine in the swamps of Voodoo Mama (where an X marks the spot), of course accompanied by a moronic Guybrush who always has a banana for me in his pockets. I just love it. Ghastly egg-laying creatures with long tail that try to chat me up I'd pretty much like to avoid though. Cha!   :P

I just don't know... I can't see them "unringing the bell" on some of the worst ideas they implemented in FO4, and could easily see them trying to just re-work and re-implement them, rather than actually fixing the problem. Radiant Quests being a hold-over from Skyrim that I recall a lot of people complaining about - especially how it wrecked the thieves guild faction quests, and instead of fixing the problem - they didn't even try to re-work it, and just slapped an even shoddier version of it into FO4 which gutted the Minute Men faction.

If Obsidian did a new Fallout, or they got rid of Emil and hired Avellone on full time to lead the project, I would guess I'd be more excited for a new Fallout - and otherwise, I'd rather them just stick to Elder Scrolls. Still, if this trend or removing RPG elements and making the content as generic and procedural (or just left undeveloped for the sake of sandboxes for user generated content) as possible is the direction they're determined to go, then I don't see much point in getting excited for the next ES game either.

I just don't know... I can't see them "unringing the bell" on some of the worst ideas they implemented in FO4, and could easily see them trying to just re-work and re-implement them, rather than actually fixing the problem. Radiant Quests being a hold-over from Skyrim that I recall a lot of people complaining about - especially how it wrecked the thieves guild faction quests, and instead of fixing the problem - they didn't even try to re-work it, and just slapped an even shoddier version of it into FO4 which gutted the Minute Men faction.

If Obsidian did a new Fallout, or they got rid of Emil and hired Avellone on full time to lead the project, I would guess I'd be more excited for a new Fallout - and otherwise, I'd rather them just stick to Elder Scrolls. Still, if this trend or removing RPG elements and making the content as generic and procedural (or just left undeveloped for the sake of sandboxes for user generated content) as possible is the direction they're determined to go, then I don't see much point in getting excited for the next ES game either.

I approve of this post.

Hey, Bethesda! We like to be kissed before we get fucked.

If Obsidian is making a fallout game which isn't some online BS, I am all in, but seriously I don't want to see them pushing out new fallout games that quick, fallout nv could be a much better game if they had more times, yes they did a good job on DLCs, but they could have done a better/less buggy game if Beth gives them a bit more time. 

If Obsidian is making a fallout game which isn't some online BS, I am all in, but seriously I don't want to see them pushing out new fallout games that quick, fallout nv could be a much better game if they had more times, yes they did a good job on DLCs, but they could have done a better/less buggy game if Beth gives them a bit more time. 

THANK YOU! Finally someone else who realizes it was those (string of verb expletives deleted) tools at Zenimax who ruined FONV by telling Obsidian to release the game before it was fully finished and debugged. And it was still a better game in terms of plot, characterization, and world than Bethesda has produced since even Oblivion.

THANK YOU! Finally someone else who realizes it was those (string of verb expletives deleted) tools at Zenimax who ruined FONV by telling Obsidian to release the game before it was fully finished and debugged. And it was still a better game in terms of plot, characterization, and world than Bethesda has produced since even Oblivion.

Actually, it seems to be a tradition for Obsidian to develop the better game of a series, but get forced to release it early with buggy and cut content.. Despite the awesome main character and the interesting plot twist in KotOR (Bioware), KotOR 2 (Obsidian) was the better game of the series. (SW-TOR doesn't count, it's an MMO, and of all the story lines, only the Imp Agent was really interresting)

Actually, it seems to be a tradition for Obsidian to develop the better game of a series, but get forced to release it early with buggy and cut content.. Despite the awesome main character and the interesting plot twist in KotOR (Bioware), KotOR 2 (Obsidian) was the better game of the series. (SW-TOR doesn't count, it's an MMO, and of all the story lines, only the Imp Agent was really interresting)

Unfortunately I know all about what Evil Arts did to KoTOR 2 quite well. :( Bioware is like Bethesda: a wholly owned bitch subsidiary of a larger publisher. EA were the ones who killed the idea for same-sex romances in SWTOR before launch because it "might offend players." EA has the anti-Midas touch: everything they touch turns into crap.

Obsidian realizes that quality games require time and patience to do. These major publishers like Zenimax don't care about quality since it's all about quantity for them. It's only compounded when the developers themselves lose all touch with the very groups they're trying to appeal to (RPG players and the modding community for FO4) and make some truly idiotic mistakes of their own in the design.

What Zenimax is doing in pushing things out early is not new and has a proven record of being a terrible idea. What Howard is doing has cost even major multinational corporations fortunes. FO4 is like "New Coke" back in '86: "Let's completely alienate our stable base of loyal fans who kept us prosperous for years to try and appeal to an all new, much larger group!"

well got my self fallout 4 and... i am realy board of it play 4h it realy boaring yes graphiscs are nice but it no where close to skyrim mods if done right

yes i mod fallout 4 but i dont know i fell realy board of it realy hoping for elder scroll 6 geting it 100% becous i like oblivan ifen more then fallout 3 and nvg

I'd rather see a fallout in Texas personally.

Texas you say ? This state has bad scars in the series history: it is were "Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel" the cash grab poor game for console that is so bad that is it is the only one explicitly excluded from the lore by Beth (Fallout: tactics at least got the "we will pick what we like from this part of lore" treatment) took place in Carbon Texas.

So Texas is kind of marred by this: putting a game in this area would remind this game existence which everybody want to forget about (see what you make me do ? Now I have top mention the game every Fallout fans purposely ignore ... :D)

Personally I would love to have a Fallout outside of North America (China would be nice as they were the other "big guys" and supposedly more technologically advanced than the US ... see the stealth suit which the pipboy is just a pale copy)

Yes that is unluckily the cost an "independent" studio (by independent I just mean not tied to a publisher) has to pay to work on big IPs. They have to deal with the owner of the IP that just wants more money (ie reduced cost of development and therefore time comes first when negotiating the contract) Zenimax is doing exactly what other publishers do in that scenario and it is a shame that Obsidian always end up not having enough time (but  at the same time -- even though I consider this studio as among the top ones when it comes to western RPG -- they are a little at fault too as they accept those conditions)

I read recently that Obsidian was up for grab and Beth may be interested. I am not sure how I feel about it: Obsidian would bring some talent that I feel Beth needs (storytelling and lore is were Obsidian beat the crap of BGS -- and most other studio to be fair) but Obsidian losing their independence may also limit them on trying out different stuffs (such as Pillars of eternity or South Park). But we will see I guess and I'd rather see Obsidan bought and the team continue their work than have them disappear (if they are up for grab it is probably because their finances are running low). 

I read recently that Obsidian was up for grab and Beth may be interested. I am not sure how I feel about it: Obsidian would bring some talent that I feel Beth needs (storytelling and lore is were Obsidian beat the crap of BGS -- and most other studio to be fair) but Obsidian losing their independence may also lead them to try out different stuffs (such as Pillars of eternity or South Park). But we will see I guess and I'd rather see Obsidan bought and the team continue their work than have them disappear (if they are up for grab it is probably because their finances are running low). 

Ye gods, I hope Bethesda doesn't get them! We can't blame Zenimax for everything that was done wrong with FO4 and even Skyrim. Todd Howard is the guy who keeps implementing these dumbed down streamlined designs. It's good to KIS (Keep It Simple) but there is a line and in many respects FO4 crossed it and then made for the horizon. As for "defining the experience," he must be into shooters more than RPGs now. Pete Hines shares as much blame for making a mountain out of a molehill with the hyped features that weren't even ready until six to seven months after launch and are still being ironed out.

I read recently that Obsidian was up for grab and Beth may be interested. I am not sure how I feel about it: Obsidian would bring some talent that I feel Beth needs (storytelling and lore is were Obsidian beat the crap of BGS -- and most other studio to be fair) but Obsidian losing their independence may also limit them on trying out different stuffs (such as Pillars of eternity or South Park). But we will see I guess and I'd rather see Obsidan bought and the team continue their work than have them disappear (if they are up for grab it is probably because their finances are running low).

Probably be grabbed by Sony or Blizzard instead then, yes that would be good?
  • 1 month later...
Guest Conner2046

I'd rather see a fallout in Texas personally.

Texas you say ? This state has bad scars in the series history: it is were "Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel" the cash grab poor game for console that is so bad that is it is the only one explicitly excluded from the lore by Beth (Fallout: tactics at least got the "we will pick what we like from this part of lore" treatment) took place in Carbon Texas.

So Texas is kind of marred by this: putting a game in this area would remind this game existence which everybody want to forget about (see what you make me do ? Now I have top mention the game every Fallout fans purposely ignore ... :D)

Personally I would love to have a Fallout outside of North America (China would be nice as they were the other "big guys" and supposedly more technologically advanced than the US ... see the stealth suit which the pipboy is just a pale copy)

I've thought about this too. But the hard part about that is that much of Fallout's style is credited to the 50's retro and art deco style of American culture. China did not have anything quite as iconic or widely known in that time to replicate 200+ years in the future and as such, it would feel like a totally different atmosphere if not universe that wouldn't make people think of it as Fallout. I however would still love to see a taste of it though, some kind of visual storytelling that references it if not even a DLC package that visits it. Same for Alaska. All we got was Anchorage, but I'd really like to see a little more arctic nuclear winter settings personally.

I honestly would like to see an Elder scrolls game set durring the Argonian expantion through mainland morrowind and them sacking mournhold.

Although, FO:NO, could be interesting.... Mutated Gators ftw! lol (and plz do NOT use Deathclaw model from FO4) 

Valenwood would rock as a setting for an Elderscrolls game! (because Bosmers are just plain awesome)

Archived