Fallout: New Vegas now on Xbox One!

Microsoft just revealed 7-8 games that are now BC and one of them was FNV. Now the biggest question is... does that mean NV will have console modding support in the future? This makes me wonder...

I honestly think it wouldn't be too hard to implement console modding support for FNV but I'm not sure they will pull the trigger on that. It will be interesting to hear what else is planned for FNV now.

Source:

http://www.gamezone.com/news/rumor-fallout-new-vegas-and-seven-more-xbox-360-games-headed-to-xbox-one-via-backward-compatibility-today-3440726

Guest endgameaddiction

I mean if they are doing it to New Vegas, it's more than likely they'll do it for their other games that support mod. I really don't see any other purpose why they would port it to the latest console systems.

I really don't see any other purpose why they would port it to the latest console systems.

Because it takes no effort at all at their behalf while making them more money. Why make these shitbricks backward compatible when they can sell the same games again instead.

All these older games being ported and having mod support just smacks of desperation on Bethesda's part. Since Zenimax is a privately traded company I can't get my hands on the real quarterly reports, but going by how poorly ESO has done in terms of earning a profit, and how many problems FO4 has had, it's a safe guess that BGS is trying desperately to make up for poor financial showings.

How many mods for these older games require Script Extender, use Master files, or else use a third party program that's incompatible with consoles? How many will actually be compatible with consoles? I feel a great schadenfreude in the Force.

FO3 needs some updating to allow it to run on a post Win98 computer and I suspect Obsidian wouldn't do it, though oddly they are happy to continue making small change selling the broken version on Steam which requires a myriad of patch files to run on later systems.

It is very possible that updates to the old titles will be seen as a money maker. Do some slight updates to the graphics, engine updates (hopefully for pc upgrades as well) Sort of along the lines of Skyrim 2016. If this works out well titles in Steam will be seen as easy pickings for a rework and release for new consoles. Since they are doing updates then why not update for the PC as well. There is movement into having "cross platform" compatibility and software easily deployed across them. As this occurs (which I believe will be a natural step in game development) this might be more and more common. The old players get the option to update and the new players get the updated version ($$$) for very little expense. After all all the sounds, music, animations and such are already there. Just port it over. Bethesda did this very thing in Skyrim so they decided to polish it up a bit more and release it. Again to a new console generation for $$$. Consoles have been getting the negative rap however it might drive updates in older generations of games that are much needed like Fallout 3, Fallout NV perhaps even Oblivion. Now that modding has been added to the consoles... it is necessary that these games be comparable with PCs which drive the modding tools and resources. Already despite the scandal of stolen mods etc they will likely consider it a success in their view as many have moved their mods there. (some stolen however :P) So they might very well be looking at this as a way to increase $$$ spend 300000~500000 or less to port over a game they own and have already made profit off of to sell on the new consoles for $$$. Get the mods added for free as the new users of the engine update to the new games with better features. (lets face it having 64bit memory address is going to be very nice. Already my Fallout 4 game has only crashed 3 times... all three times was a glitch related to mods I was using. Not a single crash to desktop since November and 150 or so hours played. I have many mods installed. Huge settlement in Sanctuary Hills with 5 story walls surrounding the entire complex... lol not a single crash.

What is needed however to benefit the entire process is the tools necessary to make animations, port and create textures and such and not force the community to create these basic needed tools to use to create our mods. (Script extenders however are our thing, can't expect them to create those however wouldn't hurt if they took what we are doing and add these features to the future engines ;) just saying if someone from Bethesda is reading this :)

So yes.. even if they aren't using this as a possible mod on console game... they might very well be looking at a new update for the system. AFter all they have a huge resource from the new Fallout 4 game to access creating a few more textures and such shouldn't be hard considering the sounds, voice files, quest etc the core of the game is already there.

FO3 needs some updating to allow it to run on a post Win98 computer and I suspect Obsidian wouldn't do it, though oddly they are happy to continue making small change selling the broken version on Steam which requires a myriad of patch files to run on later systems.

Fallout 3 game of the year works fine without any patches or changes. It don't recognize the newer graphic cards when it setup the system so you have to manually change it to something you know will work but otherwise it works just fine.

I don't know if the original game (non GOTY version) does. If it does wait for it to go on a massive sale (which will happen soon :)) and buy a update. Then you have all the DLCs and such. If you have it from before just don't use that version.

Guest endgameaddiction

Apparently not to everyone one. And for other people, they had tweak the ini settings so that it would run on two cores and not four. I never did that. Run it on 4 cores and with minor patches and tweaks and the game is 99.9% stable. I do remember when I first got into Fallout 3 I was browsing the net for guides to make it stable.

Fallout 3 could use a graphics upgrade. And it would be nice to get rid of the crappy facegen modellor, but that's asking too much.

I would be happy with a Fallout 3 remaster. Even if it's cash grab.

Apparently not to everyone one. And for other people, they had tweak the ini settings so that it would run on two cores and not four. I never did that. Run it on 4 cores and with minor patches and tweaks and the game is 99.9% stable. I do remember when I first got into Fallout 3 I was browsing the net for guides to make it stable.

Fallout 3 could use a graphics upgrade. And it would be nice to get rid of the crappy facegen modellor, but that's asking too much.

I would be happy with a Fallout 3 remaster. Even if it's cash grab.

the Windows Live has been removed from the GOTY version or at least I don't see it or have any nag log on. (I don't have an account.. well had one but that piece of crap was so bad I have forgotten the entire experience (and log on etc) lol)

Fallout could use a nice graphics upgrade. Porting it to a new 64 bit engine would be a nice kick in the pants. Even if they don't give it a graphic upgrade if the tools are available I believe others will. ;) However no reason not to give it a graphic upgrade if they are selling it on the console. Make it pritty and many will come. They need the tools though.

I agree the upgrade of the face gen would be nice. Hell even the one in Fallout 4 is better. Perhaps use that instead. That would be an improvement. The tools and the system they have is better than that. They were at their worst during fallout NV then improved a bit with Skryim and now Fallout 4 is stable at least for me. Not sure of the others results. however haven't heard of too many crashing to desktop.

Shame the game has to be so empty (quest related) and so sanitized (cleaner and open not depending on your actions the end result is stil the same. Example start with BOS after being with Railroad they should be addressing that quite soon but ignore it until a point of no return which is about right before the battle. You should be loosing favor with the other factions quickly at least well before that point.

The quest is weak and the game feels empty. I hope that feedback that they got makes them focus more on the RPG feel of the game. I believe Tod stated he understood they were insufficient there.

My FO3 GOTY version on steam still won work when reinstalled, I had it working on old PC but had to do a Windows Live disabler and some other voodoo to get it to run, in the end I gave up.

Have you downloaded it fresh and not a backup? Have you tried recently? I just installed it on my computer and it didn't ask for any windows live crap. This is on a clean installed OS just a couple of weeks ago and there isn't any widows live disabler on it and this I am sure of.

Sorry you are having problems with it, perhaps it is something to do with location? I hear Steam has different versions for different locations perhaps this is an issue.

Windows live has been dead for awhile now so it must be a older version that they are using as the windows live brand was phased out during August 2012, when Windows 8 was released to manufacturing. Active windows live services remained active but were gradually renamed.

My FO3 GOTY version on steam still won work when reinstalled, I had it working on old PC but had to do a Windows Live disabler and some other voodoo to get it to run, in the end I gave up.

Have you downloaded it fresh and not a backup? Have you tried recently? I just installed it on my computer and it didn't ask for any windows live crap. This is on a clean installed OS just a couple of weeks ago and there isn't any widows live disabler on it and this I am sure of.

Sorry you are having problems with it, perhaps it is something to do with location? I hear Steam has different versions for different locations perhaps this is an issue.

I haven't tried it in the last 6 months, I only installed it to get TTW installed anyway and it didn't seem to care that FO3 wasn't actually launching.

I haven't tried it in the last 6 months, I only installed it to get TTW installed anyway and it didn't seem to care that FO3 wasn't actually launching.

Yes... it don't care if FO3 wasn't launching it just verify the files are legit and own through Steam then it takes the files from there. Or at least as far as I understand the process.

Archived