Status of FO4 scene? Almost dead?

Guest FunkyLounge

• 1 month later...

Well the game is out for over a year, and i went back to Skyrim already in january. Now i tried to figure out if there are any significant new mods for a fresh install, but it seems like there is absolutely nothing?

I'm not even expecting anything extreme like SexLab or 0Sex, for starters just some male&female body replacers with textures and animations/skeletons that don't look worse than what you can get in Skyrim. And some proper tools for screenarchery, apparently there still is no way to manipulate facial expressions or anything else beyond a few random poses.

If anyone has some recommendations i might have been missing, post them here. I'm also interested in gameplay overhauls à la Project Nevada or SkyRe, should any of these exist or be in development.

The problem as I see it is the Skyrim Special Edition. This is the biggest hurdle into Fallout 4's modding scene as most Asian modders would be focusing on Skyrim instead. I mean, futuristic guns and apocalyptic world isn't as great as the fantasy world. Because Bethesda had to be greedy open the door to current gen owners, that's why we've got this conundrum. Once SKSE64 is out, then the Script Extender team will start to open the engine since the Special Edition is very similar to the Fallout 4 Engine.

Yeah i think one big problem is the missing of an FO4 equivalent to Skyrims Race menu. I mean bodyslide is great and all, but i think most people, including me, wish for a better slider control to model your characters face. 
I almost get everytime the exact look i want for my Skyrim character, but in FO4 it is just so frustrating.

Plus, i don't know if the bodyslide is the best thing. There are so much bodys you can choose for Skyrim, and the three or four major ones, cbbe, unp(B) and Sevenbase. It seems there isn't nearly as much support for the fallout 4 armor support, plus, the armors in bodyslide often can't really adapt the body you make, even with the needed files.

Yeah i think one big problem is the missing of an FO4 equivalent to Skyrims Race menu. I mean bodyslide is great and all, but i think most people, including me, wish for a better slider control to model your characters face.

There is an equivalent, its called "LooksMenu". But for further improvements the F4SE needs to get more polished and further developed.

I think F4SE is the bottleneck in F4's modding scene.

i wouldn't say the fallout 4 modding scene is Almost dead.. more like it's a bit dull right now, though i feel like there should have been more complex mods by now, i mean skyrim had some complex mods before the skse and CK came out

i'm just starting to wonder if everyone is getting tired of the game cause there's is almost no replay value, wile Fallout NV still has stuff i have yet to find story wise

to me Fallout 4 seems too predictable witch makes it a bad RPG but a okish Fallout game

i wouldn't say the fallout 4 modding scene is Almost dead.. more like it's a bit dull right now, though i feel like there should have been more complex mods by now, i mean skyrim had some complex mods before the skse and CK came out

i'm just starting to wonder if everyone is getting tired of the game cause there's is almost no replay value, wile Fallout NV still has stuff i have yet to find story wise

to me Fallout 4 seems too predictable witch makes it a bad RPG but a okish Fallout game

We needed to wait one whole fucking year for pump-action shotguns! I guess this tell everything about how things really bad are...

Yeah, I can't help but feel like it's not even the modding scene's fault that there is not anything super fantastic for fallout 4 yet. I have modded the hell out of my FO4 just to make it halfway playable (Compared to FO:NV and FO3). I bought the game over a year ago thinking I was going to love it as much as fallout 3, but it feels like a slightly more polished version of minecraft most of the time i'm playing it, not a fallout game. I'm not sure what Bethesda was thinking with this release, but I'm not surprised that there's not a ton of interest in making mods for this game as it takes so much work just to stay interested sometimes.

Yeah, I can't help but feel like it's not even the modding scene's fault that there is not anything super fantastic for fallout 4 yet. I have modded the hell out of my FO4 just to make it halfway playable (Compared to FO:NV and FO3). I bought the game over a year ago thinking I was going to love it as much as fallout 3, but it feels like a slightly more polished version of minecraft most of the time i'm playing it, not a fallout game. I'm not sure what Bethesda was thinking with this release, but I'm not surprised that there's not a ton of interest in making mods for this game as it takes so much work just to stay interested sometimes.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Disagree!

It's likely them looking at survival games like Rust and Ark and thinking how they could implement gathering systems in those games along with the housing mechanics created in the hearthfire DLC, since that did get a good reception.

They just forgot to include existing, viable settlements and personality in the process.

Some of it could just be impatience. I'll admit it. I think that once the patches stop and F4SE comes out a lot of interesting things will be possible. I think that the settlement building features will allow some interesting mods.

You're probably right, man. I love the atmosphere of this game enough to stick it out for a while longer. I just hope I see some activity soon to motivate me to be excited about this game once again. Luckily, I have a good imagination and can at least imagine more depth to the lacking personalities of a lot of the npc's. Honestly, I think I really just miss the way the story rolled out for fallout 3, and had some high expectations of the quality of the main story for fallout 4. Also, Amata was awesome, and I had the follower Amata mod for my fo3 game. None of the companions in this game feel as linked to the player character as they did in the older games, in my humble opinion.

But I digress, these sentiments are all based on my own personal opinions, and have little to do with the topic at hand concerning the current health of the fo4 modding scene. Fingers crossed, things will pick up soon. I can't wait to make some mods of my own, but I lack the knowledge at this time to do anything ground breaking. Maybe in time, I can change that. Lol

It's likely them looking at survival games like Rust and Ark and thinking how they could implement gathering systems in those games along with the housing mechanics created in the hearthfire DLC, since that did get a good reception.

They just forgot to include existing, viable settlements and personality in the process.

For me the worst in F4 is the missing roleplay element. All the people you meet are either friendly or hostile, no gray areas. And I find the story to be pretty lackluster.

For me the worst in F4 is the missing roleplay element. All the people you meet are either friendly or hostile, no gray areas. And I find the story to be pretty lackluster.

With all the DLC the game has been opened for solid roleplay and replay value. Hell with Nuka world you can end up being an absolute cunt. 

Think about this. 

When you leave the vault you head south towards Fort Hagen/Ration Stockpile because your husband/you were formaly based there. On the way you come across the entrence to Nuka World and see some "soldier" looking types. You end up being involved in a firefight and upon further investigation you come across your first friendly person who tells you about nuka world. You go in to help find his family and due to events end up being put in charge of the raiders there. It's the end of the world so might as well. 

When raiding the Commonwealth you come across a group of people being attacked by another Raider faction and help them out. You get word that if you head to Diamond City people can help you find your kid. BoS arrives which pose a threat to your Raider operation. Since the Minuteman wont help you, you seek out the RR to get into the Institute. Fast forward and you have destroyed your biggest threat the BoS and end up leading the institute. 

So not only are you in charge of technologically advanced group that has a robot army due to leading the Raiders from Nuka World you also have a large organisation to police the Commonwealth and keep every cunt inline and force then to pony up with everything they have. You have basically created a dictatorship. A real nasty one at that, that not even the BoS could fight. 

Good guys is basically the same as above but replace raiders with minuteman. 

BoS/RR is somewhere grey depending whether you help the Minuteman and destroy the raiders or not .

I agree the greyish works quite well in FO4, IMHO even the institute is more dark grey and misguided then outright evil.

I think what FO4 is missing is more non-player settlements with unique NPCs and something like the guilds from skyrim - factions that are not related to the main story, who let you play certain aspects of your character and make you feel more like living in the world, then just go through the main quest.

Maybe a mod could help here, that turns lot of those player settlements into self developing NPC settlements with unique characters. Just an idea

Nuka world, well IMHO it is not well integrated into the game. It would be much better IMHO if you could decide in the beginning at concord, help minuteman or help raiders. That would have been ideal IMHO. But become a raider in late game, makes somehow no sense to me.

Best DLC IMHO is Far Harbor

Actually in Nuka World you don't join raiders in the lore sense of the term. I've spent a long time among them in DC and think that I know what I'm talking about. What you get in the DLC are "Gucci raiders", expensively, fashionable dressed wannabe raiders that either go for money, money, money in good Wallstreet fashion, BDSM extreme in which the submissive giver gets butchered and the parts shared in the process, or Pueblo Zoopedia and the colorful competition of the even greater monkey in the zoo doing nothing but monkey business.

The standard raiders are different. In Fallout 3 they were brighter than the average Wastelanders they didn't even take seriously and had the hots for sex, drugs and rock 'n roll. Rebels. In Fallout 4 they are no longer that bright and have forgotten all sexting and the drum beat required for a good boom wuk and definitely can't even get a pin inside stuck. What's left are armed junkies with mush for brains on the white powder trail, if you get the Latin meaning.

Consequently I have captured a crazy, cold turkey going raider queen from Cambridge and a desperate scavenger orphan from the rubble in the North as reinforcement for my clan made of the usual suspects to get at least some former color in my game. Am I satisfied with what I've got for my money, especially when it comes to raiders? Not really...

But I digress, these sentiments are all based on my own personal opinions, and have little to do with the topic at hand concerning the current health of the fo4 modding scene. Fingers crossed, things will pick up soon. I can't wait to make some mods of my own, but I lack the knowledge at this time to do anything ground breaking. Maybe in time, I can change that. Lol

I hear you. I was amped about modding FO4. But, have had to shift gears back to earth speed, wondering if it's ever going to be what I had expected.

At least for me, with mods, I never bothered with the vanilla quests in Skyrim. Maybe it will be the same in FO4 once F4SE is finished.

I think Bethesda have dropped the ball by releasing Skyrim Special Edition so comparitively early in the life of Fallout 4 . Fallout 4 was really picking up pace modding wise ..... and then Skyrim SE came along . And as you well know people are always attracted to the shiny new bauble ( although in Skyrim's case its just a reconditioned old bauble with a bit of spit and polish :P ) . I have a 1400 hr + save on Skyrim so have no interest in SE personally seeing as theres no way in hell I'm going back to hour 1 just for the sake of a bit better shadows and a slightly more stable engine . Id sooner pull my teeth out with pliers :P Now if Skyrim was still my number 1 game and I played it all the time I would have maybe at least tinkered with Skyrim SE , but for me now Fallout 4 dumps all over Skyrim ( even though I know a lot of people will disagree with me ) . The main reason for that , for me personally , is having a voiced protagonist . I think it gives the character more soul and personality than the soulless mute in Skyrim ever had and the voice is near enough to how my characters voice should be so Im ok with that ( plus I never do multiple run throughs in these types of game either , hence the 1400 hour save in Skyrim ) . They really should have left a remastered Skyrim alone for at least another couple of years because it's really took the wind out of the sails of Fallout 4's momentum as far as modding goes . I dont blame the modders themselves , they play and mod for whatever games they wish to play and mod for and I dont blame them for the interest in Skyrim SE as it's only human to be interested in the new stuff , but I most definitely lay all the blame squarely with Bethesda themselves . They know that these games are slow burners that grow with modding .

it's just the fucking faces. almost all f4 girls look the same. And if you try to do something unique with the faces (ex: something cute) it looks deformed because the mesh looks like ass.

A wise man once said: "Where there are waifus, there is a modding scene".

We need the ability to create waifan, then you will see.

it's just the fucking faces. almost all f4 girls look the same. And if you try to do something unique with the faces (ex: something cute) it looks deformed because the mesh looks like ass.

I don't know, I actually think it's the lighting in the game that kills it, not the geometry of the face mesh. No, it's definitely not perfect, but I have seen some very beautiful presets, and even made one of my own. I'll share my character's face and you be the judge, but I really don't think the faces are bad, if you are willing to put in the time, and it can take up a ton of time, to make a decent preset.

post-28492-0-08849600-1481344494_thumb.jpg

Most modders are more waiting for the scripting tools to create sex animated mods actually, there are already plenty of good looking face presets people have made.

Archived