Concept Synth/android type race for FO4

Trykz

Untitled as of yet.....

Currently waiting on asset permissions, and hopeful someone will bring forth an alternative start that can be utilized to introduce this into the game work in a sensible manner......

new_fo4_custom_race_by_trykz-da10eno.jpg

20160501101002_1_by_trykz-da10elm.jpg

20160501100858_1_by_trykz-da10ei5.jpg

Also testing out various textures and glow maps for the metallic parts.

We shall see  ;)

Trykz

I know at least a dozen people that will be super-happy to play as a synth.

(And then asking me and Ashal: "why this synth cannot do sex???")

Question, are you using the normal skeleton or is a custom one? (That is critical for animations, but I think you are using the vanilla skeleton.)

I know at least a dozen people that will be super-happy to play as a synth.

(And then asking me and Ashal: "why this synth cannot do sex???")

Question, are you using the normal skeleton or is a custom one? (That is critical for animations, but I think you are using the vanilla skeleton.)

Yes, I'm using the vanilla skeleton. However, it won't matter later as the body will use whatever custom skeleton the user has installed (presumably, whatever will be required for animations by default), as all of my Skyrim races did  ;)

Generally speaking, the process for building a custom race for FO4 is identical to the process utilized for Skyrim. The big hurdle at this time, is how to make the race "selectable" at character creation in a sensible and lore friendly manner to broaden the overall appeal to end users. That, unfortunately, is well outside my capabilities. At this time, my suspicion is that the only person who will be able to achieve that is expired6978 through his LooksMenu mod, and it's ability to interact directly with the character creation engine. His mod would need a "built-in" function to display and utilize a "race selection".

Without that, this is just a hack job that will require console commands to make function.....

I don't like for ANY mod I build to be dependent on console commands/.bat files. It just comes off as "cheesy". No mod I have ever built has required console commands to function, and neither will this one.

And just to keep things updated, asset permissions HAVE been acquired  :D  

Trykz

I am confident that Expired (known as @Expired6978 here) will do a great mod, replicating the uniqueness of RaceMenu he did for Skyrim.

As am I..... his work has always been outstanding. It's because of his original creation of RaceCompatibility that I actually took up race modding in the first place  :D

But I don't think a race selection function is high on his list of priorities at this time. So I'll be patient with the hope that he'll eventually consider adding it to LooksMenu.

Trykz

There are no race checks as far as we know (because only human race) so RaceCompatibility is not necessary and you can just simply do setrace, menu shouldn't reset race from what I know because someone made a synth follower and it is editable via showracemenu. Maybe an institute quest with some dialog or so might be the best option.

Custom skeleton should not be necessary because human and synth use the same skeleton, and also don't edit the skeleton path please^^.

There are no race checks as far as we know (because only human race) so RaceCompatibility is not necessary and you can just simply do setrace, menu shouldn't reset race from what I know because someone made a synth follower and it is editable via showracemenu. Custom skeleton should not be necessary also, and also don't make one if not 100% necessary.

Exactly.

I always use the default skeleton location for my races. Early on I used individual skeletons, but that ultimately became a redundant step, as most armors and animation mods began to utilize a single shared skeleton replacer in the game's default structure. I was quite thankful for that  ;)

But I've never been keen on relying on the console for much of anything. Especially when it comes to adding a playable race to the game. But if there can't be a "vanilla-ish" method of using an alternative race in FO4 without resorting to console commands, then it's not something I really want to delve into. There's just something to be said about a race that can be readily selected at character creation without the use of the console. The way they actually represent something being smoothly transitioned into the game, instead of some cheesy console hack. Which is something not one of my races have ever been.....

Trykz

You can do a dialog with some scientist that calls a script that does setrace (papyrus) http://www.creationkit.com/fallout4/index.php?title=SetRace_-_Actor

Game.GetPlayer().setrace(mySynthRace)

The only two points where looksmenu opens are not that suitable for the switch, or you attach to the finishing of the intro where the character comes out of the freezer and display a messagebox.

You could also start to register after the freezer\pipboy for the looksmenu via http://www.creationkit.com/fallout4/index.php?title=RegisterForLooksMenuEvent_-_ScriptObject and display the change message when leaving valut 111, that way you avoid the sex and refID of the player problem when looks menu opens the first time.

You can do a dialog with some scientist that calls a script that does setrace (papyrus) http://www.creationkit.com/fallout4/index.php?title=SetRace_-_Actor

Game.GetPlayer().setrace(mySynthRace)

The only two points where looksmenu opens are not that suitable for the switch, or you attach to the finishing of the intro where the character comes out of the freezer and display a messagebox.

You could also start to register after the freezer\pipboy for the looksmenu via http://www.creationkit.com/fallout4/index.php?title=RegisterForLooksMenuEvent_-_ScriptObject and display the change message when leaving valut 111, that way you avoid the sex and refID of the player problem when looks menu opens the first time.

That was what i was thinking..... but then I figured it doesn't address the issue of having multiple custom races installed. Many ideas are being spitballed for new races, and it will inevitably become an issue where races all try to access the game via the same script.

Which is why I figured it might be best for an alternate start mod to handle loading into initial character creation. Something that auto-completes the entire MQ101 questline (which is everything from loading a new game, right up until you fall out of the cryo pod, and then auto start character creation after which the first stage of MQ102 (where you're prompted to escape the vault) would automatically fire off so the game can continue as normal.

You could actually keep the latter part of MQ101 (the spouse murder bit) as a sort of "dream sequence" intro.

However, all that is beyond my current capability  :dodgy:

Trykz

As I suspected, the CK is apparently still too big a piece of shit to handle a simple, menial task like setting a duplicated preset to use the race's custom skin parts  :angry:

Typical.....

Is the current version still considered beta? Or are we stuck with this POS tool for the rest of eternity? Someone PLEASE confirm this shit is still beta and there's still hope.....

Trykz

As I suspected, the CK is apparently still too big a piece of shit to handle a simple, menial task like setting a duplicated preset to use the race's custom skin parts  :angry:

Typical.....

Is the current version still considered beta? Or are we stuck with this POS tool for the rest of eternity? Someone PLEASE confirm this shit is still beta and there's still hope.....

Trykz

The current version is still marked as beta. But I don't think the official version will solve that.

Sorry about this. (Pat pat pat on your shoulder.)

The current version is still marked as beta. But I don't think the official version will solve that.

Sorry about this. (Pat pat pat on your shoulder.)

LOL..... thanks  ;)

I remember some mention on the beta forum about the race form containing no preview window, and it being a known issue to be resolved at some point...... eventually. Perhaps once that function is added, this may not be an issue. If it isn't, I foresee custom races being one technical hurdle after another. Unless of course you use Groovtama's suggestion of scripting them in. But as I pointed out, only a single custom race will be allowed to exist in the load order at a time, or they'll all be fighting for that single function that can make them work.

If not for all these "new and improved" blockades, I'd have had this finished and uploaded for play by now. I can build a fully fleshed out custom race for Skyrim in a matter of hours. Maybe a day if I wanted to give it a lot of features, options, and functionality. But for FO4, it's ridiculously dumb all the hurdles they put in the way, just to perform what should be a simple task. I guess I'll just wait and see.....

Trykz

I am a scripter.

And I am trying all possible to play "some sort of" animations.

Animations are really not a problem. But positioning the actors, updating their Package AI, is.

The Groov's suggestion will work like a breeze without any major impact.

I am a scripter.

And I am trying all possible to play "some sort of" animations.

Animations are really not a problem. But positioning the actors, updating their Package AI, is.

The Groov's suggestion will work like a breeze without any major impact.

I know it will work...... I'm certain of it. And I think I could actually call the setrace function right at the end of the stage in MQ102 just prior to falling out of the cryo pod. Essentially giving the impression that, quite likely, you were killed sometime after your spouse was killed and your child kidnapped. Eluding to your corpse (and your consciousness) being replaced with "something else"  ;)

The issue with this method lies in another race modder calling that same function either at that same stage, or sometime after  my (or another) race calls it. Now you have a compatibility issue. Only the last loaded race can function. And most folks who know my work know that I usually release my mods in .esm format to facilitate making follower npcs. Not to mention that I myself might want to add npcs of the race to provide some depth (what I call the "you are not alone" aspect).

But I digress..... if it can be no other way, then I suppose "so be it".

Trykz

Well, that didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped it would..... adding a function to an existing quest stage fragment didn't work because it wouldn't successfully recompile. A fragment .psc was generated, but a .pex wasn't. So if that can't work, I guess I'll need to try to insert it at the point right after you fall out of the freezer  :P Or did I miss something? Do I need to add an entire stage to the quest containing the function, and then just compile that fragment? Looking at the MQ101 quest, I ideally want the function right between stages 810 and 900. Which appears to be the point between thawing out, and then falling out of the cryo pod. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Because quite frankly, my papyrus skills suck major league LOL

Trykz

Well, that didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped it would..... adding a function to an existing quest stage fragment didn't work because it wouldn't successfully recompile. A fragment .psc was generated, but a .pex wasn't. So if that can't work, I guess I'll need to try to insert it at the point right after you fall out of the freezer  :P Or did I miss something? Do I need to add an entire stage to the quest containing the function, and then just compile that fragment? Looking at the MQ101 quest, I ideally want the function right between stages 810 and 900. Which appears to be the point between thawing out, and then falling out of the cryo pod. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Because quite frankly, my papyrus skills suck major league LOL

Trykz

I can help with Papyrus. 110% for Skyrim and 99% for FO4.

Just ask.

Trykz

I can help with Papyrus. 110% for Skyrim and 99% for FO4.

Just ask.

Consider yourself asked..... (or begged even, LOL) I need all the help I can get when it comes to papyrus  :P

Basically, I need a fragment with the setrace function inserted into the MQ. Preferably, inside of or immediately after MQ101 Stage 810. The stage is called "Refreeze", and is the point immediately following the scene where the player bears witness to Kellog shooting the spouse and taking the kid. Alternatively, a new quest stage (815 perhaps?). If for some reason those can't work, then the next best point would be right between the end of MQ101 and the start of MQ102. As long as it's immediately after the refreeze, or immediately prior to opening the spouse pod, then the impression of "something happened to me while I was frozen" is maintained, and theories behind the race can make sense.

For a second I thought this was some sort of revival of Daughters of Ares from New Vegas to 4. Still, good work with what you got going thus far :3

The race is as of yet unnamed. For all intents and purposes, they're synths. But not exactly..... looking at the body, one might conclude that they're something between Gen2 and Gen3. Perhaps Generation 2.5? Sounds kind of odd, but it does fit...... and I could make more sense of it with a small Institute logo stamped on an ass cheek  ;)

I'm still mulling over what to call it. And I have a lot to do before I have to ultimately decide.

Trykz

Your race would probably be a fourth generation synth since Nick Valentine is the closest to a "true" 3rd generation we have seen so far. The ingame 3rd generation of synths are pretty much just cloned humans with some brain wipe implants, while your race is a robot with human parts and thus something completely different.

As for the integration into FO4, maybe have the tutorial be the exact same, but then you leave, find a device (like a drone or maybe a new robot) that will instantly paralyze/kill you on activation, ports you away and let's you then "reassemble" a new body in a secret lab. More mods could pick that idea up because the lab could readily supply more than just human or robot parts. The only issues would be he that it's more convoluted and you have to go through the player creation twice (which could cause issues), but the good thing would be that it'd be possible to make the lab / race selection available more than once.

I think one of the many perks of playing as a synth/robotic race should be the ability to modify character limbs and other bodily hardware. Similar to what we could do to our automatons. 

I totally agree.....

but unfortunately, the PC body doesn't work that way. The whole body is a single mesh now. Legs, arms, feet, and torso.

When I first learned of Gen 3 synths, I hoped that their bodies were comprised of multiple parts. But after looking over their actor forms, I learned they were nothing more than humans by a different name. If you look at their actor forms, you'll see the selected race setting is human  :dodgy:

It would have been awesome to see some really cool spark type effects when you decapitate one, or dismember a limb. But alas, Bethesda's lack of creativity shines brightly there......

Trykz

Hey Trykz!

You can break the body in pieces, and make options for this pieces, for example.

very thin legs + a very thin torso as the base body, and them each part could be a extra nif that plugs to the body like armor, just have to find slots that almost no one uses to make this, and together with this you can still use armor :)

Hey Trykz!

You can break the body in pieces, and make options for this pieces, for example.

very thin legs + a very thin torso as the base body, and them each part could be a extra nif that plugs to the body like armor, just have to find slots that almost no one uses to make this, and together with this you can still use armor :)

Hmm..... interesting. I play around a bit and see what I can come up with for my next race mod. Although I think animations might become an issue (like if a leg is missing, you'd fall over LOL). Though I might be able to do something with a sort of "floating head" race, that accepts a torso and other parts.

For now, I'm pretty far into this one at this point, and don't really like the thought of starting all over again LOL

Don't worry..... I plan to build a fair number of races for this game, assuming I can get this one working as I intend.

Trykz

Hey Trykz!

Hmm..... interesting. I play around a bit and see what I can come up with for my next race mod. Although I think animations might become an issue (like if a leg is missing, you'd fall over LOL). Though I might be able to do something with a sort of "floating head" race, that accepts a torso and other parts.

For now, I'm pretty far into this one at this point, and don't really like the thought of starting all over again LOL

Don't worry..... I plan to build a fair number of races for this game, assuming I can get this one working as I intend.

Trykz

For the future them :)

Just to registry my thought.

A skeleton base for the body, almost like the synth gen2, or something even smaller, the weight for this skeleton will be very limited so we will not see a stick deforming, very mechanical.

Armor parts to be the body, the pieces can share the junction, and the junction UV could be in the base skeleton. Them any body parts could change :)

Archived