The point is the ankle has to support a tremendous amount of weight and distribute it, so artistic license aside, there a reason digitigrade setups tend to have big ass feet and ankles and a shorter stop to the next joint than you've depicted.

The point is the ankle has to support a tremendous amount of weight and distribute it, so artistic license aside, there a reason digitigrade setups tend to have big ass feet and ankles and a shorter stop to the next joint than you've depicted.

Could this be what your referring to? Because I don't understand what you mean by ankle (is a joint, and reminds me of the 2 bones you feel on the sides of your upper foot) then it would be hard to understand.

https://gyazo.com/eb122cd3c408ae67d6790a296414f464

https://gyazo.com/0c92c0073b449d554061985c4b6aee5b

If it's not, then how could I understand with a comparison between monster and cat.

what I meant was the area between the shin and the foot which reminds me of another shin. If this is the case, then what your trying to say is that the area in between is too short and you want the shin to be shorter and the area between to be longer correct?

update:

Looked it up. It's called a metatarsus. Metatarsus longer and shin shorter correct?

Any more opinions everyone? 

Because once I start on my last 2 or 3 steps, that's going to be it for the physical body formation after re-meshing for the naughty bits. Once I'm all done, I'll probably just carve into the lines (muscles and edges) and smooth out around them for more detail.

https://gyazo.com/f912ad38d5718bd369a7144da8ceeac5

https://gyazo.com/04f1e97b912688aa7c0f0410d02f363c

https://gyazo.com/4223b92c507272a0c3be218ed025ff93

As for the paw pads depth, I will shorten them a bit before finishing but will keep it like that for my personal model since Neofur (a fur shader) has it's own depth. I will be widening the toe pads however.

Or do you all like the current depth of the paw pads?

I was thinking if I should add a mesh as in a bush of fur at the center above the chest. Neofur can do that by itself but am wondering if someone is able to add that separately from my mod if wanted or if I should just do it. I will wait to hear your opinions on that one.

Found something interesting to download.

There are 4x more brushes than what is shown in the video.

Do you all think I should add fur to the mesh or do you think just textures will do? Or maybe just in certain areas like neck, above chest, wrist, etc?

Example:

https://gyazo.com/41c18bff515e5c596bc77fe9c082d4f4

didn't really try and used only the 1st out of 17 brushes. Did it within a few minutes as an example. It may degrade muscle formation but can try to fix it and may look worse once I lower the poly which is currently 1,046 million as show in Zbrush. (1, 046,??? if confused)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Feels dead here. It  really helps speed up the project and make good decisions to try make everyone happy.

[...] Any more opinions everyone?  [...] Or do you all like the current depth of the paw pads?

I was thinking if I should add a mesh as in a bush of fur at the center above the chest. Neofur can do that by itself but am wondering if someone is able to add that separately from my mod if wanted or if I should just do it. I will wait to hear your opinions on that one.

Well, all of the latest designs look good in my opinion, but it is true this last one does seem to be a little more "organic". Of course, I don't know how a bipedal digitigrade config/skeleton would plausibily look like, so if the people that do know it have something to say, then their opinion would matter.

As for paw pads, if it is going to be modeled, it is better for it to be as visible as possible so long as its size remains within what could be considered "realistic". Again, if someone has a different opinion, I'd be glad to hear it.

Actual 3D modeled fur patches, well... It has been done before, but none of them have looked good enough in my opinion. I'd say better not to do it at first, because it can be added at any point in the future. Just my two cents, though.

Found something interesting to download.

There are 4x more brushes than what is shown in the video.

Do you all think I should add fur to the mesh or do you think just textures will do? Or maybe just in certain areas like neck, above chest, wrist, etc?

Example:

https://gyazo.com/41c18bff515e5c596bc77fe9c082d4f4

didn't really try and used only the 1st out of 17 brushes. Did it within a few minutes as an example. It may degrade muscle formation but can try to fix it and may look worse once I lower the poly which is currently 1,046 million.

Okay, I have to say that looks really good, but if you are doing that fur detail on the mesh itself, doesn't that mean the polycount goes up to the "million" range or so (as you have specified)?

I mean, if you intend to use your million-poly mesh as the reference for when you "bake" it into the game-ready one so that the fur detail ends up in the normal map, then sure, go for it (That's how normal maps are created anyway, right?).

If you are thinking of actually having the fur modeled on the mesh, I'd say it won't look good, because even if your body retains a high number of polys with respect to Skyrim standards (say somewhere between 10k-20k, for example), it will never be close to the actual polycount.

EDIT:

Feels dead here. It  really helps speed up the project and make good decisions to try make everyone happy.

Sorry about taking so long to reply, properly wording my ideas and such took some time, and then RL required my attention for a while before I was able to post (Maybe I should stop logging in as "anonymous" so people can know when I am actually posting/reading stuff).

Anyway, rest assured this is not dead, there was just some bad timing. No big deal.

Edited by Blaze69

Okay, I have to say that looks really good, but if you are doing that fur detail on the mesh itself, doesn't that mean the polycount goes up to the "million" range or so (as you have specified)?

I mean, if you intend to use your million-poly mesh as the reference for when you "bake" it into the game-ready one so that the fur detail ends up in the normal map, then sure, go for it (That's how normal maps are created anyway, right?).

If you are thinking of actually having the fur modeled on the mesh, I'd say it won't look good, because even if your body retains a high number of polys with respect to Skyrim standards (say somewhere between 10k-20k, for example), it will never be close to the actual polycount.

Actually, it doesn't increase the poly-count. What increases poly-count is is adding or stretching mesh then re-meshing which will add and even out the poly-count of the model. re-meshing can cause fusion of areas that are too close and loss of detail. Something I would not do after adding the fur brush detail.

I could make a separate detailed fur model by saving as new, But I guess it wouldn't look good once lowered to 70K. I think only doing it in certain areas would be a good idea though. Like shoulders, above the chest center, and near the joints. Then leaving the really small fur detail to the textures everywhere else.

I kind of want to grab the khajiit head model from the high-poly citrus replacer and add some fur detail around the cheek bone and neck as well. Maybe also in front of the ears.

Actually, it doesn't increase the poly-count. What increases poly count is is adding or stretching mesh then re-meshing which will add and even out the poly-count of the model. re-meshing can cause fusion of areas that are too close and loss of detail. Something I would not do after adding the fur brush detail.

I could make a separate detailed fur model by saving as new, But I guess it wouldn't look good once lowered to 70K. I think only doing it in certain areas would be a good idea though. Like shoulders, above chest, and near the joints.

Oh, wow. Do you really intend your body to have 70K polys? That goes into the "Overkill" range, specially considering the max polycount the Skyrim engine can process for a single mesh (as in, "object"/NiTriShape entry in Nifscope) is around 64k or so. That's why I gave 10k-20k as an example; it is way more than the Skyrim standard (vanilla body is 1400) and would be even double the polycount of UUNP (6600). Though FO4's version of CBBE is around 20k or so IIRC, so that may be a good number. I won't recommend going over half the limit, so I'd say 30k max is a good cap.

As for fur detail, you are both the mod author and knowledgeable in 3D modelling, from what I see. I am neither of those things, so if you think it can be done, then that's great, the more detail the better. I'm just not sure how that would translate once you get to the part when you have to make the mesh Skyrim-ready. Of course, I may be worrying about nothing, so I guess we'll see.

Actually, it doesn't increase the poly-count. What increases poly count is is adding or stretching mesh then re-meshing which will add and even out the poly-count of the model. re-meshing can cause fusion of areas that are too close and loss of detail. Something I would not do after adding the fur brush detail.

I could make a separate detailed fur model by saving as new, But I guess it wouldn't look good once lowered to 70K. I think only doing it in certain areas would be a good idea though. Like shoulders, above chest, and near the joints.

Oh, wow. Do you really intend your body to have 70K polys? That goes into the "Overkill" range, specially considering the max polycount the Skyrim engine can process for a single mesh (as in, "object"/NiTriShape entry in Nifscope) is around 64k or so. That's why I gave 10k-20k as an example; it is way more than the Skyrim standard (vanilla body is 1400) and would be even double the polycount of UUNP (6600). Though FO4's version of CBBE is around 20k or so IIRC, so that may be a good number. I won't recommend going over half the limit, so I'd say 30k max is a good cap.

As for fur detail, you are both the mod author and knowledgeable in 3D modelling, from what I see. I am neither of those things, so if you think it can be done, then that's great, the more detail the better. I'm just not sure how that would translate once you get to the part when you have to make the mesh Skyrim-ready. Of course, I may be worrying about nothing, so I guess we'll see.

didn't someone say that the UUNP body has 68K?

Nope, it was 6850 polys. As I said, when the FO4 version of CBBE was built, they decided to go for the Hi-Poly option from the start and chose 20k IIRC, but that has not happened yet in Skyrim.

Nope, it was 6850 polys.

Oh ok, then 7K. Misunderstanding on my part then.

I wouldn't say I'm an expert. Just had some practice earlyer in the year.

This is only one of the few models I actually finished and the first one I'm going to bring out of Zbrush.

Nope, it was 6850 polys.

"Some practice" is more training than what many people (including me) have in 3D modelling. Read: none at all. So I guess my case still stands  :P .

Nope, it was 6850 polys.

"Some practice" is more training than what many people (including me) have in 3D modelling. Read: none at all. So I guess my case still stands  :P .

Lol. A month is all someone need to catch up to me.

[Previous conversation stuff]

Okay, now that the meshes are nearing completion, I think it's time to discuss the way they will be imported into Skyrim. I am aware they are not fully done yet, but the sooner this is settled, the better.

Now, as fas as I know, the process would be more or less like this: export the Ultra-High-Poly model from ZBrush (in some format like .obj or whichever suits best) and import it to a 3D editor like Maya/3DS Max --> tweak the mesh (make UV as close to UNP/CBBE as possible, adjust mesh position, match neck seam, separate hands/feet from torso, etc.) so it matches Skyrim's standards --> weight painting --> reduce polycount from UHP meshes to obtain Game-Ready meshes --> export GR meshes to .nif.

Once that is done, then base normal maps have to be generated by baking the UHP meshes (saved before reducing polycount) into the GR ones with the 3D program itself or an utility like XNormal. Then you further tweak normal maps to give them any missing detail and start creating diffuses/speculars/whatever.

Now, if I got it right, barring any extra fixing/tweaking that would need to be done that would be all in order to get the base body working ingame. Now, as for the point of this post: Can anybody with actual Skyrim modeling experience please tell me if I am right or if I am missing something? If it is not clear, then I guess someone with the required knowledge could be contacted for advice.

(I am also asking because, for example, if I am right then the fur brushes could indeed be used just like the example picture posted, because even if the polycount reduction makes the "furred" areas of the mesh become flat/smooth, the detail would be transfered to the normal map during the baking process).

Random reactions:

The khajiit looks cool except possibly the head. Is that the vanilla head or your own? Looks bat-like to me.

I hear the folks talking about weight on the digitigrade legs, but go look at a horse sometime. You've got ~1500 lbs dancing around on sticks. Cat shins look thick, but that's cuz they're fuzzy. Mind you, I've been criticized for making the legs to light.

The zbrush fur looks fantastic, enough for me to think about buying the damn program. But I'd bake it into normal models. I really don't see the point of blowing up the poly count for details like that.

There's a also a thing that to make features look right in an RPG you sometimes have to scale it up. Look at the hands on a draugr or spriggan--they're way outsized, but look good in game.

@Blaze, your outline of the process sounds right to me except that I don't think XNormal will bake a hi-poly mesh into a low-poly mesh + normal map. I think you have to use the 3D modeling program for that. 

@DosMike, um, what did you do to the Fennec race? Mind you, they need some work.

[...] The zbrush fur looks fantastic, enough for me to think about buying the damn program. But I'd bake it into normal models. I really don't see the point of blowing up the poly count for details like that. [...]

@Blaze, your outline of the process sounds right to me except that I don't think XNormal will bake a hi-poly mesh into a low-poly mesh + normal map. I think you have to use the 3D modeling program for that. 

XNormal does have a tool to bake normal maps if you provide it with both the Hi-Poly/reference mesh and the game-ready one (of course, creating the game-ready/reduced polycount version from the Hi-Poly one has to be done in a modeling program).

Anyway, great to hear I got the workflow right, and I agree on the fur brush. Nightro, you can just use it all over the body wherever you see fit like in your example image and it will be transfered to the normal map just fine during baking.

Random reactions:

The khajiit looks cool except possibly the head. Is that the vanilla head or your own? Looks bat-like to me.

I hear the folks talking about weight on the digitigrade legs, but go look at a horse sometime. You've got ~1500 lbs dancing around on sticks. Cat shins look thick, but that's cuz they're fuzzy. Mind you, I've been criticized for making the legs to light.

The zbrush fur looks fantastic, enough for me to think about buying the damn program. But I'd bake it into normal models. I really don't see the point of blowing up the poly count for details like that.

There's a also a thing that to make features look right in an RPG you sometimes have to scale it up. Look at the hands on a draugr or spriggan--they're way outsized, but look good in game.

@DosMike, um, what did you do to the Fennec race? Mind you, they need some work.

Really?  I thought making models with high poly was pretty much a standard and then figuring out how to lower the poly while preserving as much detail as possible. There is a very effective way, but it converts the squares into triangles which is not recommended for games. I could do that and try to figure out how to bring it back to squares.

It's my own head and will be cut off for the mod. I guess it does kinda look like a bat. It was modeled after a real cat ear though while the positioning was placed from a cat anthro model. Maybe it's just a little too high and I need to make the jaws bigger. however I planed on some slight edits of the head after making the mod. And I thought adding more length of Neofur infront of the ears and cheeks would fix that.

Only Zbrush and MudBox was mentioned in the tags, but if you can make custom brushes and Alphas in Blender, I don't see why you couldn't use them.

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/747599?referral=voronart

You would need a program like Photoshop to make them compatible though. They weren't pre-made for Zbrush only, but with it as one of the targeted programs. It's not like you actually have to buy it though, unless your making more than just mods.

[...] The zbrush fur looks fantastic, enough for me to think about buying the damn program. But I'd bake it into normal models. I really don't see the point of blowing up the poly count for details like that. [...]

XNormal does have a tool to bake normal maps if you provide it with both the Hi-Poly/reference mesh and the game-ready one (of course, creating the game-ready/reduced polycount version from the Hi-Poly one has to be done in a modeling program).

Anyway, great to hear I got the workflow right, and I agree on the fur brush. Nightro, you can just use it all over the body wherever you see fit like in your example image and it will be transfered to the normal map just fine during baking.

normal maps could be made easyer in Zbrush, or so thats what I found. as for UUNP and CBBE normal maps, I'm unsure. The model should be finished by the end of today and I can get started on lowering poly tomorrow.

Skyrim can handle 60K blender and Poser characters without incident. I'm virtually certain some of krista's DAZ "borrowed" outfits are well over 200K, you'd have to ask yatol about that for confirmation, but I'm pretty sure the limit 64K per NitriShape so if the body is single mesh, yes 64 would be your limit, if the body is an aggregate it's obviously more, unless I'm wrong.

The current body I've frankensteined together for my game-long follower is 40K, and the body has been used to test SMP everything-but-hair on every female in Skyrim without exploding anything.

citrus

The citrus head is pretty amazing, but if I were you I'd make a head myself just for the experience and feedback, personally.

legs

Horses weigh a hella ton, but they have four legs, and cannot even kind of do what bipeds do without literally dying. Big ass cats have bigs ass legs with big ass feet, and they have four to balance weight on. Pair that down to two, and then put in bipedal like kicking, side stepping, dancing etc, and things get much much dicier, and thus why people whom know make big ass feets for digitigrade chars. Two legged dinosaurs had big ass feets for a reason. Hell look at a person, generally speaking the average human has 15% of their height touching ground at any one time, and we are the walkingest things on planet urfs.

metatarsal

Yes, more like that.

Normals are much easier in zbrush.

I know it's a small thing but I'm in love with the pads on the hands.

I took 2 pictures from the net, combined them a bit, then modified it so the pads would curve towards the center of the wrist. However, the lack of the M shape you see when closing the hand kind of bugs me but don't really know how I would implement that. It's something you wouldn't really notice in game anyways.

@nightro, 

Really?  I thought making models with high poly was pretty much a standard and then figuring out how to lower the poly while preserving as much detail as possible. There is a very effective way, but it converts the squares into triangles which is not recommended for games. I could do that and try to figure out how to bring it back to squares.

Yes, hi-to-low poly is standard. But a bunch of people are talking about putting the hi-poly meshes in game, which I'm suspicious of. It may work for a bunch of people--and not work for a bunch more. One guy on here is doing a bunch of awesome mods which depend on Apachii hair and other high-res mods and even though I think I have a reasonable rig, I just cannot run them for love or money.

But skyrim wants tri, not squares. It will run squares sometimes, but for max safety, you want to give it tris.

@nightro, 

Yes, hi-to-low poly is standard. But a bunch of people are talking about putting the hi-poly meshes in game, which I'm suspicious of. It may work for a bunch of people--and not work for a bunch more. One guy on here is doing a bunch of awesome mods which depend on Apachii hair and other high-res mods and even though I think I have a reasonable rig, I just cannot run them for love or money.

But skyrim wants tri, not squares. It will run squares sometimes, but for max safety, you want to give it tris.

Oh okay! Tri while preserving detail will be very easy with Zbrush! Wont make edits after that though. Doing so is not that great of an experience because some tri polys will sometime stick outwards. At least in my experience.

Digitigrade just didn't want to work until i notice that you swap skeletons for khajiit. So assuming the fennec race is based on khajiit i set it to use the skeleton, hand and foot mesh provided by your mod (skeletonkhajiit, ... instead of skeletonbeast, ...). first it seemd to have no effect, until i noticed i had to adjust the race for both genders, now it works perfectly.

Tho I'd still like a bodymesh with hdt tail backed onto it... but I never got the hang of nifskope and stuff x)

Frustrated just trying to figure out how to import the tri files from the Citrus Head Replacers to Zbrush!

I downloaded a BSA extractore for the tri files, then download NifSkope and it wont recognize it when trying to import. Also downloaded a NifSkope 3DS MAX plugin but doesn't work with the 2017 version. Then I downloaded "Triton tri files creator" and it has no useful information on the description or tutorials, but I think I don't need it yet. Then I tried "blender tri import and export tool" but does not work with newer versions of Blender. It is really outdated and has no version compatibility information.

The Skyrim to Blender (so I can then export as .OBJ) videos I've watched sucks because they either have no talking or lack of explanation. Usually only for weapons. I've been up all night trying to figure out how to do this from 12am and is now 6:40am. I live in USA CA, and I'm sure some of you are on the other side of the world considering the times you post.

Can someone who is familiar with this please give me a step by step explanation, what programs they use, and what version?

I want to adjust the neck to body connection to make sure it will fit right. I also want to add fur detail to the cheeks and neck.

Frustrated just trying to figure out how to import the tri files from the Citrus Head Replacers to Zbrush!

I downloaded a BSA extractore for the tri files, then download NifSkope and it wont recognize it when trying to import. Also downloaded a NifSkope 3DS MAX plugin but doesn't work with the 2017 version. Then I downloaded "Triton tri files creator" and it has no useful information on the description or tutorials, but I think I don't need it yet. Then I tried "blender tri import and export tool" but does not work with newer versions of Blender. It is really outdated and has no version compatibility information.

The Skyrim to Blender (so I can then export as .OBJ) videos I've watched sucks because they either have no talking or lack of explanation. Usually only for weapons. I've been up all night trying to figure out how to do this from 12am and is now 6:40am. I live in USA CA, and I'm sure some of you are on the other side of the world considering the times you post.

Can someone who is familiar with this please give me a step by step explanation, what programs they use, and what version?

I want to adjust the neck to body connection to make sure it will fit right. I also want to add fur detail to the cheeks and neck.

Here. It is an utility that "unpacks" .tri files into all of the different morphs and exports them as .obj files alongside a list of all the morphs and their order. It can also be used to repack/regenerate the .tri after you have edited the morphs. Should be what you need.

Edited by Blaze69