Custom Race Mod - Outdated - Please don't use

Main post updated. READ THE NOTES AT THE BOTTOM!!!

Everything appears fixed, and all mods are available for download, as well as the .esp fix for the bodies and mounted combat. I could only visually test out the races themselves, as I don't use horses. So if someone could confirm mounted combat for me, I'd greatly appreciate it :)

edit: Mystical Elves will need to wait just a bit for the mounted combat fix. I'm going to convert those races to my later race mod style, to provide them with much more variety to set them apart from each other. I'll be completely rebuilding them, so manually editing the combat data won't be necessary.

Thanks,

Trykz

Guest Vendayn

Confirming that it works. Not sure about horses, as I haven't got that far. But, the character model for Nidia is fine.

Glad Bethesda fixed the problem so fast.

Trykz' date=' sorry to see you stop modding for Skyrim, but you don't really have a reasonable choice. Modders like you are literally the only reason I play this game. I love seeing what other people create. I'm pretty much done with Bethesda after Skyrim, mods or no. Anyway, sorry to see you and all the other modders who have contributed so much to this game and my own experience playing it get dicked over like this. Thank you again for sharing your amazing mods.

[/quote']

Well, after a bit of thought last night, I decided that I'm going to keep plugging away at Mjana's Labyrinth..... for now.

As long as I avoid adding anything custom to the mod for now, it should be okay to at least get the framework down perfectly for the .esm that I and others will be building from. With any luck, Bethesda will pull their heads out of their asses and get this shit fixed and updated ASAP. My next step was to start importing my custom races into the mod for use as NPCs. But after this, that whole plan has come to a grinding halt.

This is my second go at this mod. There will NOT be a third. If they break it again, I'm done with Bethesda AND their games permanently. The sooner they admit that it's modders that truly breathe much needed life into their boring, bland, and relatively uninteresting games, the better off they'll be. But at this rate, their upcoming titles are already DOA as far as I'm concerned. Including their Dawnguard DLC.

Trykz

Glad you've had a change of heart--although I'm cringing for the next time they futz something up (we all know they will). I know they hope to leverage their partnership with Steam to garner increased sales for their DLC releases, but they've been idiots about it. Bah! No need to rant further about what we all already know--especially to you.

I'll keep following your work (I'm a total fan at this point :D ) and sincerely hope they get it together before they drive creative talents like you away from this game. Like I said, Skyrim is it for me unless, through some miracle, they get their shit together.

Confirming that it works. Not sure about horses' date=' as I haven't got that far. But, the character model for Nidia is fine.

Glad Bethesda fixed the problem so fast.

[/quote']

Thanks Vendayn :)

discariot:

I imagine the pace of released mods will slow substantially for future Bethesda titles after their repeated breakage of mods for Skyrim, and all the hassles in earlier titles as well.

It will be at least a year before I create anything for any of their upcoming games.

Anyway, I've had to delete ALL of the NPCs I made for Mjana's Labyrinth, because none could be fixed as they were added in the previous version of the CK. Thankfully they were all vanilla, so readding them will be pretty quick.

Trykz

Hey Trykz,

because you're a great and experienced guy when it comes to Races I was wondering, if you were able to answer me one question:

I'm having a problem with different race mods. I tried Monli Race, Shojo Race and YgNord Race from the Enhanced Character Editor and all these have the issue, that the specular maps for the face isn't properly loaded. All assets are independent from the vanilla folders, the races are pulling the meshes and textures from a totally different folder.

An example:

- I load up my save

- use the racemenu to change the face complexion

- as soon as I move the slider not only the complexion setting kicks in but also the face specular map for this specific race is finally loaded

- after exiting the racemenu everything is fine

- then I quit the game and load it back up

- suddenly the vanilla specular map for the face is used??

- this stays until I go in the race menu again and change the complexion

--> ANNOYING AS HELL!

Do you happen to know anything about this?

I just wanted to know, if it's a problem on my side or another game bug before I do a complete reinstall of the game.

Thanks in advance.

Do you happen to know anything about this?

I just wanted to know' date=' if it's a problem on my side or another game bug before I do a complete reinstall of the game.

Thanks in advance.

[/quote']

It sounds like a file pathing issue caused by the game update, perhaps. Like the texture is where it's supposed to be on the .esp, but the game is looking elsewhere for it.

I would wait for updates to each of those races from their respective authors, as each will need to be updated in the 1.6 Creation Kit if the authors want mounted combat to work properly.

Trykz

I discovered an issue with The Demoness mod that was causing default races to not display the body hands and feet. I made the necessary changes in the CK this morning, and replaced the .esp in the Mounted Combat Fix file in the first post.

So if you downloaded the mounted combat fix for The Demoness, you'll need to re-download it to get the updated file.

Apologies for the inconvenience,

Trykz

edit: I'll also be re-adding The Kerran Sha'rr mod to the collection at some point this coming week.

Hey trykz' date=' I have the 1.6.89 update now, ck is still old though, will I have problems with my drakian race?

[/quote']

Not if you're still using the older CK.

Trykz

Oh wow...I am impressed they actually fixed this stuff this fast...i was expecting them to do it like in 2 weeks or so. I know hos frustrating is to develop something that every certain time gets screwed somehow...i was doing an application for Android back when it was beta for a class project, every new darn update it would break it but Skyrim is no beta but their darn CK seems like it is a beta...i have never seen/heard a crappiest developer tool in my life.

Anyway i am glad you are still around good sir.

Guest Vendayn

Nidia does have one problem in 1st person mode. I didn't notice it before, since I am almost always in 3rd person. But, in 1st person her hands/arms are invisible.

So, Been trying different Race mods trying to get a bit of difference feel in my skyrim games and You know the whole Show Race menu crap that you mentioned trykz is getting old. Evne lowest settings as small as I can make my window zero mods,except the race mod if you move to fast thru the selection the game still CTDs... How can they say it's the fault of the modder when All the race mods that deviate from the simple human structure cause this issue. For your sake and all those other Modders who have fantastic Races. I hope a solution is found . Maybe Someone in the modder community will come up with a better showrace menu like they did with SkyUI.

So' date=' Been trying different Race mods trying to get a bit of difference feel in my skyrim games and You know the whole Show Race menu crap that you mentioned trykz is getting old. Evne lowest settings as small as I can make my window zero mods,except the race mod if you move to fast thru the selection the game still CTDs... How can they say it's the fault of the modder when All the race mods that deviate from the simple human structure cause this issue. For your sake and all those other Modders who have fantastic Races. I hope a solution is found . Maybe Someone in the modder community will come up with a better showrace menu like they did with SkyUI.

[/quote']

I suspect it's an issue with how the game engine is utilizing custom assets in replacer folders. This has been a pretty major issue since the added those shitty HD textures that broke a gazillion mods the first week.

For some odd reason, hi-res textures (and even some lower res) simply explode in the racemenu (especially outdoors), like it's trying to search through everything in the Skyrim.esm "before" it looks into the replacer folders, causing the engine to choke and crash.

Seriously..... try this:

run the game in a small window. Open whatever program you use to monitor your CPU and memory. Open the console while outdoors and type showracemenu and watch what happens. Your memory will drop like a rock in a lake, and your CPU will spike to 90%+ as the engine searches through EVERY texture file in Skyrim.esm BEFORE it finally finds the ones in your replacer folders, which it now CANNOT possibly load thanks to the lack of memory and processor power that the game engine just chewed up.

I don't expect Bethesda will fix it. Their diehard vanilla fantards keep arguing that it's the fault of every mod in the universe, and can't possibly be an engine flaw. And Bethesda keeps listening. Fixing the issue will take a complete game engine optimization overhaul. And there's no way they're about to do that with Dawnguard in the pipe. Hopefully they include some engine optimization in the DLC, which would likely be the most useful thing about it :P

Trykz

Hey Trykz' date=' any more progress on the draconis mod?

[/quote']

It's on hold at the moment.

But I'm still toying around with it here and there. I started working on it just before Bethesda resolved the navmesh issue. And I resolved myself to getting back to putting Mjana's Labyrinth back together once that was ready. So that race, and a few others I was working on, are on hold just until I get the MjanasLabyrinth.esm master file finished and released. But after next weekend, I'll be splitting my time between race modding and building new plug-ins for the Labyrinth pretty equally.

Trykz

Trykz,

Ran into an issue recently with your update .ESP for The Demoness race. For me, it causes all vanilla female race models to have a burnt corpse body when starting a new character. When taking off the initial rags, the entire torso disappears. The torso disappears for male bodies as well out in the world. Tested this rather extensively with both the updated and non-updated versions. I have no clue what I'm looking at in the CK so I'm not sure what exactly the issue is. Just thought I'd let you know.

Right, scratch this.. Found the post you make a page back.. looks like i still had the initial...

I found this awesome picture/painting of a snow elf today.

Any chance you' date=' the one know to man as he who makes the most awesome races, will be making an snow elf race?

Hmm.....

if I could get someone to convert this set of ear meshes, I could do that easily. Elven races are my favorite races in any game. And I'd like to add a few more to Skyrim :D

I also have another somewhat "special" race in mind if I could get these converted too ;)

Trykz

I found this awesome picture/painting of a snow elf today.

Any chance you' date=' the one know to man as he who makes the most awesome races, will be making an snow elf race?

Hmm.....

if I could get someone to convert this set of ear meshes, I could do that easily. Elven races are my favorite races in any game. And I'd like to add a few more to Skyrim :D

I also have another somewhat "special" race in mind if I could get these converted too ;)

Trykz

Special races are always nice :D

Anyway with all the ears :) Have you already taken a look at the xenius race complication ears? http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/29103 (sorry couldn't find a good screenshot) But this mod has loads of different ears, quite well made too.

Guest Vendayn

1st person is working good now for Nidia. :)

Also, a snow elf would be rather cool. And fit Skyrim rather nicely. Since Skyrim is a snowy/icy place ;P Maybe coming from under the ice or something in the northern regions.

In an in-game book, there is supposedly vampires that live under the ice and can come up and somehow drag people under the ice. It actually never shows this properly in-game, however. Not even any vampires of that kind, as far as I'm aware. But, that is where I got the idea of snow elves living under the ice.