[mod] [CK2] Dark World: Reborn - Updated 01MAY2024

One Time Donation vs. monthly recurring payment.

The 'simply don't connect it to the mod' has to be made 100% legally proof otherwise it can be seen as employment, opening the floodgates to copyright claims.

When there's money involved there is no "simple". Ever.

http://i.imgur.com/TbeD6Jw.png

Modding and earning money for it surely sounds great but there's one major catch. The name of the catch is 'Copyright'.

As long as there's "nothing to gain" most copyright owners (in this case the artists of the pictures) are content with the inclusion into the contributors list.

As soon as there's money involved shit's gonna hit the fan.

Veeeery ugly things can happen in copyright claims and avoiding major headaches by not taking money in the first place could prove beneficial in many cases.

http://i.imgur.com/4V3Ens3.png

in other meaningful news. Great to have you back Dew.

I clicked on both images and all that came up were blank screens.

Either way, despite people's claims, he CANNOT be punished for owning a patreon if it's not connected to his modding. Again, it would be like someone accusing him of copy right violation by pointing out his actual job. An income that is structured independently is just that, independent.

If someone did try to claim he was making money off of his modding, all he would need to do is show that the patreon is not connected. A fuss could be made, but in the end nothing could be done against him under copyright law.

You guys are being paranoid for no reason.

great, they worked on my end, plan B

first one: post-644913-0-15360400-1462662769_thumb.png

second one: post-644913-0-18704000-1462662744_thumb.png

I'm convinced Paradox would be fine with Patreon. To understand why, recently, there has been a few YouTube take-down notices that were not sent out by Paradox, and to stop the issue, Paradox composed a signed letter not only allowing YouTube videos, but giving the video artists permission to monetize off the videos.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/updated-01-12-15-monetizing-from-youtube-videos-containing-paradox-interactive-material.671169/

http://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/public/132024/AuthorizationLetter_YouTube_20151130.pdf

There was also a Patreon situation involving a mod contributor for Cities:Skylines (another Paradox game):

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/former-maxis-simcity-developer-started-patreon-for-modding-cities-skylines.845109/

One of the mods posted in that topic, saying, "Anyone can set up a patron account, that service is completely separated from us :)"

Not only was Paradox apparently fine with the Patreon, a professional company in Texas hired him as an environmental artist! The modder specifically mentions on his Patreon page it was because of Patreon he got hired. Perhaps to further sell the point he was part of the creation of the mod from concept to finalization, he released this video:

The difference between Patreon and Kickstarter is on Kickstarter you're asking for money. On Patreon, you're volunteering a service, and the person volunteering usually still promises the project will be completed eventually anyways. Apparently, that verbage allows people to circumvent a lot of legal areas.

Great news, not just for Dew, but Paradox modders in general.

Too many  companies are way too abusive on copyright shit. Just look at Youtube.

And the irony with YouTube is Paradox wasn't even the one submitting those take-down notices. Paradox had to step in to stop YouTube! YouTube has some kind of programming algorithm that falsely punishes video content creators. Several video producers complain that when they try to reach YouTube, they can't reach a live person and have to jump through hoops with machines. Nostalgic Critic went on a few huge and informative rants on this topic. I believe Markiplier and Pewdiepie also chimed in, but Nostalgic Critic explained it best.

Too many  companies are way too abusive on copyright shit. Just look at Youtube.

And the irony with YouTube is Paradox wasn't even the one submitting those take-down notices. Paradox had to step in to stop YouTube! YouTube has some kind of programming algorithm that falsely punishes video content creators. Several video producers complain that when they try to reach YouTube, they can't reach a live person and have to jump through hoops with machines. Nostalgic Critic went on a few huge and informative rants on this topic. I believe Markiplier and Pewdiepie also chimed in, but Nostalgic Critic explained it best.

Just something to throw out there in relation to youtube's Heretical processing.

To be fair, YouTube has an automated copyright claim system because, as you may know, YouTube is huge as shit; which means that at least many hundreds of copyright claims may or may not be submitted in a daily basis, which would be difficult to handle by human employees, and thus would cause the system to get clogged up to shit. As to why YouTube's claim system is more of a -smash first, ask later- kind of bully, then that would be capitalism's fault; all too many greedy fucking cunts have gotten their cunts angrily wet in their own salty secretions over how they cannot abuse YouTube's claim system easily enough, and often proceed to swing the lawsuit bat against YouTube, and because YouTube isn't that great of a profitable company under Google, the stacking up of costs for maintenance, made worse by lawsuits, force YouTube to fuck up their claim system so that they can stop being beaten to shit themselves by greedy companies.

Very nice ReMeDy.

Sligth problem though.

I was talking about copyright owners. Not only paradox in this case owns a copyright, the creators of the pictures do as well.

I am for instance talking about thumb-45e0192a0debe107e35d65422b24b9e4-d or the event pictures that come with the mod.

Let's say it again.

As long as there is no money involved consequences are mostly not that severe.

If there is money involved shit's gonna hit the fan.

Hardly any creator in the known universe will pass up the ability to gain money of their work.

Patreon is for the person, not the project.

Problem is most actual employments work that way. People are employed and paid for their time.

Petreon is a grey zone at best. A very dark grey zone if it comes to copyright stuff.

Very nice ReMeDy.

Sligth problem though.

I was talking about copyright owners. Not only paradox in this case owns a copyright, the creators of the pictures do as well.

I am for instance talking about thumb-45e0192a0debe107e35d65422b24b9e4-d or the event pictures that come with the mod.

It is evident that this has been hard for you to understand. So I am going to explain this as simple as possible.

Him coincidentally earning an income from a service not connected to paradox, this website, or any of the artist, does not equate to making a profit off of the mod. Because he's not making a profit, his usage of pictures is not illegal, some artist consider it rude, but he can't be sued.

People can indeed complain, but NOTHING would ever come of it because he would factually, objectively, and by viewing the laws of space and time, not be making a profit off of the mod. Thus not violating any form of copyright law in any way shape or form.

Yes the concept of currency exist, but you seem to be arguing the fact that we as a species developed a system where we trade items of value for other items of value is cause for some life threatening concern no matter how many times you're told you are wrong.

You keep reiterating the same argument with only minor variations and no matter how you alter the wording, or trying to somehow seem smarter by bringing up variables not even being discussed, because they're not important, you are still wrong.

A patreon set up and presented as independent from any of Dew's modding is under no risk of legal ramification.

This is the last time I'm responding to you on this matter because you've given me the impression that you don't care about facts, which looking over older post on this thread isn't uncommon behavior, and you'll just end up continuing making false claims out of shear stubbornness.

Also in case you found any of this abrasive or think I'm angered(whichI'mnot). Here's a quote I'm sure you're familiar with.

"Let me help you out. I don't care if you like me. I do wish you health, and prosperity. Those two don't need to go hand in hand. I already said I wasn't pissed, and I used the same language you used towards me. If that bothers you, once again - I don't care."

PS@Dew.

A patreon would give you extra cash to commission original artwork from artist around the web. This isn't being mentioned out of legal concern; I'm only suggesting it in case you would like to have the events and character icons all share a singular art style rather than the random pictures currently being used. Heck, perhaps get different artist per sub-mod. It'd give each their own unique visual flare. Though that's just me throwing random ideas at this point.

Very nice ReMeDy.

Sligth problem though.

Let's say it again.

As long as there is no money involved consequences are mostly not that severe.

If there is money involved shit's gonna hit the fan.

Hardly any creator in the known universe will pass up the ability to gain money of their work.

Patreon is for the person, not the project.

Problem is most actual employments work that way. People are employed and paid for their time.

Petreon is a grey zone at best. A very dark grey zone if it comes to copyright stuff.

post-644913-0-77252400-1462693914_thumb.jpg

I appreciate all of the discussion folks. Let me share a little more details on my plans.

Right now, I've an okay schedule going that's giving me a couple hours a week to spend on modding and game creation. However, the team I presently coach has their season end in mid-June. Once baseball is done, I'll have more time to invest, that would make me feel more comfortable.

So presently, my plans are to set-up a Patreon site in that time frame.

Fucked up shit. From what I gather is that there's about a dozen algorythms, often by third parties, crawling around and flagging anything with more than 15 seconds of copyrighted footage from their owners, with no human control and thus no regard for the circumstances that might make it fair use.

Copyright enforcement can be insane, even if every single bit of the law should actually be in your favor.

... damn, now I feel the need to finally look at the original WTFU vid by Nostalgia Critic.

Can someone tell me why i am geting empty event, after 10 days.. And have no option?

My version of game is 2.4.1

Mods: Dark.W.Lilith 1.30

Dark.W.Core 1.33

Dark.W.Court and commerce 1.31

Dark.W.Creatures of night 1.31

Dark.W.Fair tales 1.29

Dark.W.Futa 1.29

Dark.W. ReMeDy Portraits

EDIT: I deactive Creatures of night, so in that is problem..

They produce copyrighted material.

They do not use copyrighted material from other creators.

You are misunderstanding the problem royally.

they use copyrighted characters and models, which are created by other people.

This ^^^

Also I recognize some of the artist used in this mod and unlike Dew, they actually do make profit off of those characters by selling commissions of these characters they own no copyright over.

Can someone tell me why i am geting empty event, after 10 days.. And have no option?

Dark.W.Core 1.33

Dark.W.Fair tales 1.29

Dark.W.Futa 1.29

Dark.W. ReMeDy Portraits

CK2 v2.4.1 doesn't support Dark World Reborn

Try  to use Dark World 1.25 http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/2157-ck2-dark-world/ but it's tested with CK2 v2.4.5

Dark.W.Core 1.33

Dark.W.Fair tales 1.29

Dark.W.Futa 1.29

Dark.W. ReMeDy Portraits

If you want everything to work, you'll need to upgrade your game to the current version.

You just got Stellaris?

The game which is unlocked and downloadable in 4 hours and 15 minutes?

http://www.stellariscountdown.com/

You won't be in your Imperium of Man any sooner as I am in lead of my Pacifist Slaver Cats :P

I think I'd rather take after a space faring militaristic group of felines who prefer to consider themselves as the "unstoppable, rightful rulers of the universe" from an anime series I watched back in the mid-late 90's.  If that doesn't pan out there's always a few other anime-inspired species I might be able to construct pre-mods.  Post mods I might be able to do the felines right.  Who knows for certain if any of them would be viable, but I might have to make the cat people militaristic slavers so I can get the right feel for them within Stellaris' system.  Just not enough data right now and I look forward to building any one of the species I have in mind.

All I'm certain of is that I won't be building the Tempa Empire anytime soon.  Just means I won't be the Tempa Emperor who, as his alleged power goes, rules the universe as the most powerful man alive.  Maybe some science and sorcery mod will make it possible but until then I don't think I'll be using Tao Magic to bend the universe to my whims...

But enough plotting to rule the universe, let's get back to Dark World on this thread!

is there going to be an update to the fairy tales?

He said earlier it wasn't his priority at the moment.

It makes sense. Fairy Tale is a narrative based mod requiring a great deal of branches and choices that could have multiple endings.

Seeing how the other sub-mods are lacking a great deal of content compared to pre-splitting up, it's understandable that he'd want to get the rest a little more presentable.

is there going to be an update to the fairy tales?

He said earlier it wasn't his priority at the moment.

It makes sense. Fairy Tale is a narrative based mod requiring a great deal of branches and choices that could have multiple endings.

Seeing how the other sub-mods are lacking a great deal of content compared to pre-splitting up, it's understandable that he'd want to get the rest a little more presentable.

True