Would You Recommend Fallout 4 To A Friend?

I've tried, repeatedly (108 hours of play, 100 of those exploring and doing non-main plot quests), to get into Fallout 4. But the simple fact that it was touted as an RPG (even an action-RPG) killed it for me. It has a story that is dull and poorly implemented, overly streamlined advancement compared to its own predecessors, a whole dialogue system that kills any feeling that the character is one's own, and busy work as opposed to quests that flesh out the game world are the final nails in the coffin as far as calling it an RPG. It's all action, no real RPG. There was so much potential left unfulfilled as far as truly making this game feel alive it honestly does feel like Bethesda deliberately didn't develop things and will force us to buy their DLC to complete it. And that's assuming they even bother.

But as a shooter it's not too bad. It's also not great. I was a child when Wolfenstein and Doom first came out (the days of shareware...) and I grew up with them. It wasn't my favorite genre (RPG is) but it was okay. As I grew older, though, I drifted away from shooters so I can't really say how they compare to most. Other than a couple of Deus Ex games, Dead Space 1-3, or Doom 3 and its expansion, my experience is limited. Even compared to those I have played it comes across as mediocre at best. The customization is nice and the perks are a nice touch--when they aren't completely broken (yet another issue on both sides of the coin). I really do question whether BGS really did spent two months debugging this game or not given how so many top-tier perks were (accidentally?) equated so that they reset their respective lines to zero effect. But compared to its predecessors the combat is a lot smoother.

I won't even get into the technical aspects. High-end graphics and sound are secondary to me. If the story is rich and engaging I'm rather forgiving. In this case I've already made my views clear on that.

Would anyone recommend this game to friends and associates? As an RPG? Shooter? Personally, I told mine to wait and see. There will be mods by independents that make it better, but I'm more interested in seeing how Bethesda handles their end. Post-DLC it could be a real gem or it could become Bethesda's Hindenburg.

Depending on the friend's tastes, I would recommend it. It has it's nuisances, but it's not as bad as some make it out to be. There's something I got used to, being a Beth veteran since Morrowind - the repeated NPC oneliners, which makes you wanbt to pick up a rifle and put a bullet through their heads. There's also the defend settlement mission loop that's entirely broken in my opinion. But other than that, I think it's a good game. More stable than any previous Bethesda release and lots of room to improve on, as mods already show.

It is not really a RPG, and not a real first person shooter.

But the game is not bad. you may have many hundred of good hours playing it.

It is a "Sui Generis" ("Its own style" in Latin) game.

Perfect? No. But good enough to give you many hours of enjoyment.

I recommended it to about 6 colleagues, and except one, all of the others enjoyed it.

Guest endgameaddiction

if you consider me that friend, yes. But if you really want to be a good friend, you could always buy me a really nice GPU and I'll always been your bestest friend forever.

if you consider me that friend, yes. But if you really want to be a good friend, you could always buy me a really nice GPU and I'll always been your bestest friend forever.

PM me, please. I cannot PM you.

Guest endgameaddiction

I was just joking.

If he wants to consider it for a friend, I cannot personally say if it's worth it or not since i haven't played the game. A lot of people didn't like Fallout 3. I have actually recommended it to a friend and he very much liked it. I guess because he's the simple type who doesn't really focus on the depth of every detail as most of us here do. So that's one thing to consider. If you friends and colleagues are all hardcore gamers, they may or may not like it. Especially if they are all about RPG.

I'm not sure whether i would reccomend it, it isn't anywhere near as good as most people make it out to be. like OP said, mediocre shooter and a poor RPG. Many of its most interesting features are shoddily implemented at best, the story is garbage and stifles player creativity due to voiced PC and the limitations on dialogue that brings. If this friend can deal with that then fair enough, i can't say I didn't have any fun playing it but I wasn't anywhere near as engrossed as I was with NV, and I even had a lot of issues with that.

Yes, I would recommend, but It would be with the wait till next year or the year after when all the content is out and you can get it for about £10-15.

At present I like the settlement side, but it really needs to allow the base game to scrap pretty much everything in each location, or allow you to repair the buildings you can not scrap, heaven and croup manor spring to mind here,  (yes I know there are mods that allow it, but it should have been done by the base game), snapping needs to be a bit more crisp, sometimes trying to get the floor panel or roof panel in is a pain.

Workshops need to be moveable, (again I know there is a mod allowing this but it should be base game stuff).

Quest/mission wise, I tend to go, ohh, there's a map marker out there I have not been to and head that way to see what is there, many times leading me to the oh shit, run away side of things, especially at lower levels.

Levelling, slow enough to require some time for each level, but fast enough you do not get discouraged, even better there is no level cap, so if I want I can just keep going and get any of the perks I want sooner or later.

Guest Mogie56

If this person is a "Friend" then you should already know what this person would like or dislike and decide accordingly. going by the hatred of everyone on LL or even your own of Bethesda or there Games would be a disservice to that friend.

No, but maybe once the GECK comes out, some good DLC gets released (and it better be exceptional) and if someone manages to tackle the animation/Havok problem for modders, then it might enter my recommendations list.

The havok behaviors are already done.

We can import/export items from them.

About the animations, the new HKX format is deciphered. But the tools to import/export in 3DS or Blender are not yet done.

Guest Akrabra

Hell yeah! I love the game thus far, and i think the DLC if following The Elder Scrolls way of doing it will be great. Still as mentioned a few posts over, if you know someone you should know what they like and if this game can provide that or not.

No, not really.  I can't get into it myself and couldn't recommend it.  I've been a fan since the original Fallout and this is the first one in the series that has really left me cold.

I appreciate that Bethesda wanted to try some new things but almost every new concept just falls flat with me.  Hoping that mods will salvage the game over time.

No, but maybe once the GECK comes out, some good DLC gets released (and it better be exceptional) and if someone manages to tackle the animation/Havok problem for modders, then it might enter my recommendations list.

The havok behaviors are already done.

We can import/export items from them.

About the animations, the new HKX format is deciphered. But the tools to import/export in 3DS or Blender are not yet done.

Whoohoo! That is frontpage news!

I would recommend it.

I look at FO4 like this, each version Beth released followed a pretty specific "set-up". Their story gets more streamlined/watered down/bland while the graphic's/sandbox potential has skyrocketed.

FO4 imho has achieved a pretty great setting for (depending on what tools are available in the GECK) being one of the greatest games (post modder's getting a hold of it) ever released. Very solid base for combat. Very solid base for character development (both visual and stat-driven). Very solid base for modder based "DLCs". An enormous amount of area for a modder to pick a spot and truly develop it to his/her wishes. Massive amounts of buildings/spots for people to inject doors to share their own spin on what FO4 is.

Sure FO4 is missing varied animation (it's being worked on!). Sure FO4 needs more quests (it's being worked on and at least 1 pre-quest has already been released!). Sure FO4 needs hookers and blow (it's being worked on! lol).

FO4 has set the stage where modders (like those here on Loverslab) can truly make some spectacular mods that will re-invent this game. And the vanilla FO4 isn't bad at all so ya, I'd recommend it.

Personnally dont get how/why anyone would play 108 hours of something they werent enjoying so i'm always rather skeptical when people say that, if i dont like a game i play atmost a few hours and then give up but anyway...

on the entertainment to cost (assuming £39.99 price) with 108 hours that 37 p for an hours entertainment which sounds quite reasonable/good value to me so i'd recommend in your place

Personnally dont get how/why anyone would play 108 hours of something they werent enjoying so i'm always rather skeptical when people say that, if i dont like a game i play atmost a few hours and then give up but anyway...

on the entertainment to cost (assuming £39.99 price) with 108 hours that 37 p for an hours entertainment which sounds quite reasonable/good value to me so i'd recommend in your place

Or maybe they were searching for something that would make them have fun since they bought it already, i mean i hear lots of these arguments "why you played it 100h when you didnt enjoy it"

Then when someone says they played 20h they get a response "you cant judge such a big game with so little time invested in!!!1111"...basically 100 or 20 there is always an excuse at hand that they are wrong, right?

Or maybe they were searching for something that would make them have fun since they bought it already, i mean i hear lots of these arguments "why you played it 100h when you didnt enjoy it"

Then when someone says they played 20h they get a response "you cant judge such a big game with so little time invested in!!!1111"...basically 100 or 20 there is always an excuse at hand that they are wrong, right?

Well bearing in mind that i didnt actually voice that opinion i think that 100+ hours is a sign of real determination (4 days no sleep playthrough or if like me you have more limited time due to work 33+ days of 2 - 3 hour sessions) to get value for money when you don't enjoy or holding something up to an unreachable standard (similar to how everybody hates vanilla skyrim yet everybody still brought vanilla skyrim)

As i said i personnally would only play for a few hours and i do have games on my steam list that either 1. werent what i was expecting 2. have issues with the interface that i find makes it unplayable 3. are basically a re-skin of a game i already own 4. just didn't that like i have less than 10 hours play on and i dont feel the need to spend my precious time on them validating my feelings about them by clocking up another 90 hours game play

But thats just me

Well bearing in mind that i didnt actually voice that opinion i think that 100+ hours is a sign of real determination (4 days no sleep playthrough or if like me you have more limited time due to work 33+ days of 2 - 3 hour sessions) to get value for money when you don't enjoy or holding something up to an unreachable standard (similar to how everybody hates vanilla skyrim yet everybody still brought vanilla skyrim)

As i said i personnally would only play for a few hours and i do have games on my steam list that either 1. werent what i was expecting 2. have issues with the interface that i find makes it unplayable 3. are basically a re-skin of a game i already own 4. just didn't that like i have less than 10 hours play on and i dont feel the need to spend my precious time on them validating my feelings about them by clocking up another 90 hours game play

But thats just me

Well not everyone throws 40-60$ or more for a game and when they dont like it, just shelve it somewhere.

Some people are going to play to find their moneys worth, wich reminds me of one article about FO4 where someone did exactly the same, they were playing and playing trying to find something interesting,here they found a tunnel that had picked their interest so in hopes to find something different then ghouls or raiders they went in and found...either ghouls or raiders to kill and that was pretty much with everything they found..kill kill kill.

Since this is an open world many people are going to search in hopes to find interesting stuff but in the end if they dont find it even after many hours played what are they supposed to say when someone says "100h? you must have had fun otherwise you wouldnt play" and to that i would say using the same logic "i had to first find it because its an big open world".

Im not saying they didnt had some form of fun, but this particular excuse always comes for bethesda games.

Archived