SKSE - Register Custom Animation Events

View File

INTRODUCTION

This SKSE plugin allows registering custom animation events on ObjectReferences.
Pretty much like the existing Form.RegisterForAnimationEvent, but not limited to
the vanilla animation events.

I might need to run papyrus code triggered by animations called from arbitrary
mods. I thought it was not possible registering custom animations, until I found
these amazing work: https://github.com/towawot/DLL-GunsmithSystem

================================================================================

INSTALLATION

Copy the contents of the Data folder into Skyrim\Data
Or use any mod manager.

================================================================================

USAGE

Register animation events, for a specific object reference or globally.
For example:

; registers the animation only for the player
RCAE.RegisterForAnimEventOnRef(Game.GetPlayer(), "MyAnimationEvent")

; registers another animation for any character
RCAE.RegisterForAnimEvent("AnotherSexyAnimation")

Then an OnAnimationEventEX callback event is called whenever a reference plays
the registered animation event. This event has some restrictions, read the notes

Event OnAnimationEventEX(ObjectReference akSource, string asEventName)
if akSource == Game.GetPlayer() && asEventName == "MyAnimationEvent"
endIf
EndEvent

NOTES

- Won't work on ObjectReferences that are not actors. I think it could, but
currently is hardcoded just for actors (NPC or player)

- The OnAnimation Event callback only seems to work when its script points to
the player character. Actually I'm not sure on this.
I've successfully tested the callback on ReferenceAlias and ActiveMagicEffect
scripts, both pointing to the player.
The callback is not called if it's on a quest script, neither on a NPC's
ActiveMagicEffect.
I think this is because the player character is being used as a base object when
the SKSE plugin sends the event to Papyrus.

- The stuff registered is stored in memory and is lost when the game is closed

CREDITS

- towawot for https://github.com/towawot/DLL-GunsmithSystem

- himika for https://github.com/himika/libSKSE

- SKSE Team for http://skse.silverlock.org/

CHANGE LOG

v02: Added thread safety
v01: Initial release

Thank you for this. I will become handy.

When you, in your notes, say: "The callback is not called if it's on a quest script, neither on a NPC's ActiveMagicEffect"

It means that for NPCs it is called only for scripts attached to Actors or ObjectReferences or ReferenceAliases?

The OnAnimationEventEX is not fired unless it is in a script pointing to the player, which is not the case on quest scripts or NPC's activemagiceffects.

So you need a ReferenceAlias script pointing to the player, or something like that, or the OnAnimationEventEX won't be called.

The event triggers for any NPC that performs the registered animation.

Cool - but I need two events : one when an animation starts and the second (more important) when the animation has finished.

And a suggestion for a very cool enhancement:

Add the functionality to pass a global variable that is set to 1 (true) if the event has fired

Because then we can use it in scene and package action conditions to wait until an animation has started / finished

(I know - can be done by modder in script, but is a very frequent use case)

Um, I think I misunderstood but does this kind of help during the NSAP Object Animations(Throne,Chair and the like in MCM) ?

I am not a modder so yeah I dont really know.

No. That will not help.

The stickiness of AnimObjects is a different matter.

B3lisario plug-in is a way to get a script event when an animation event is fired.

With FNIS 5+, you can add to the HKX animation events.

And I am checking if, when such animation plays, and the anim event is supposed to be fired, then the mod event is sent.

For a very first test, on the player it works just fine.

But I am not able (yet) to catch the events for a NPC.

Probably I need to develop a "manager script", attached to the player, to keep track of events sent for other NPCs.

Um, I think I misunderstood but does this kind of help during the NSAP Object Animations(Throne,Chair and the like in MCM) ?

I am not a modder so yeah I dont really know.

No. That will not help.

The stickiness of AnimObjects is a different matter.

B3lisario plug-in is a way to get a script event when an animation event is fired.

With FNIS 5+, you can add to the HKX animation events.

And I am checking if, when such animation plays, and the anim event is supposed to be fired, then the mod event is sent.

For a very first test, on the player it works just fine.

But I am not able (yet) to catch the events for a NPC.

Probably I need to develop a "manager script", attached to the player, to keep track of events sent for other NPCs.

I see, that's quite interesting.

This might be not what most of ppl. want to hear. Hope you are planning to add some thread safety as I noticed global variables in the code

Thanks for noticing the problem.

I've added some ICriticalSection things

Please let me know if this would be safe enough.

This might be not what most of ppl. want to hear. Hope you are planning to add some thread safety as I noticed global variables in the code

Thanks for noticing the problem.

I've added some ICriticalSection things

Please let me know if this would be safe enough.

Thanks, it looks safe enough

• 2 weeks later...

Well there is a mod I want to try out that requires this mod. So to install you just use MO or NMM and that's it? Just making sure since there is no install instructions listed.

There's also some files outside the Data directory as well, so should MO users be setting "DATA" as the data directory during installation, or instead simply click "ok" and set the mod to "ignore missing data"?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm not sure if I've properly reported this behavior here, but in case I didn't -- my khajiit SoS addon schlongs catch the SOS animation events so as to swap genital meshes. I don't touch the page up/down keybindings at all. Nonetheless, for some reason, my mod breaks page up/down in the console. SOS of course uses those to control schlongs--but they only break when my mod is catching the events. I have no idea why this is happening or even how to start looking--maybe you can figure out what's going on on your end.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Not too sure if this is still in development, though the Hoodie Schlong and so does the SOSFloppy mod use it, but after disabling the SOSFloppy mod from using the RCAE and me manually removing the dll from the plugins folder, the 1 second freeze of the game at random times (~10 seconds) vanished, a shame as I was hoping it would work, but it seems to be behind the times for current mods, or the other mod was causing grief with it.  Hopefully someone is still around that works on this code, can look into this.

GuruSR.