Screenshot Discussion Thread

GrimReaper

What's the point of a criticism thread if I'm just going to get ganged up and shat on for offering criticism? Do I have to start every post with huge red bold letters spelling out "OPINION"?

Personally, I feel you should delete the earlier part of that post before "@Shermie".

Deleting posts or parts of posts explicitly to save face is childish. Besides, though in hindsight I rather agree with the sentiment that name-dropping and offering a dissenting opinion about a popular poster was a bad call, my opinion is no more or less valid than any other offered here.

Hm... yeah. I only name-dropped because it was relevant to the thing I was trying to say, but the more I think about it as I write this the dumber a decision that seems and the better it would be to remove it... I'm leaving the paragraph, if only because I believe having my posts both good and ill available helps people get a more complete picture of what I'm like, but there was no reason for dragging someone else into it.

...also Jexsam your guide is really good...but looking back at your screenshots..maybe you should use your own advice...anyway..

Please, elaborate. Are you seeing a pattern regarding how I use space in my shots? Something I could address in future pictures? Full disclosure, I pretty specifically picked the best examples from my library I could find, since it doesn't do anyone any good to show mediocre examples when trying to demonstrate how good something can look. Most of my work falls short of the mark set by those, something I try to mitigate, but they can't all be winners.

Also, have you considered trying to do stitches? I can't help but notice in your first pic that there's a lot of dead space to either side of her, but otherwise there's nothing technically wrong with the shot. I don't take a lot of full body shots to avoid that exact problem, but I don't spend as much time making my characters a visual spectacle. Full body shots like that first pic would absolutely benefit from a tighter focus on the character, and a horizontal stitch would absolutely provide it. They're just a pain in the ass to do, or so I hear.

The middle two would make fantastic desktop wallpapers, and that last one is beautifully composed all around. Only thing I might suggest is just zooming in slightly closer, to cut out a bit more of the window sill and make her face a little larger and clearer.

~~~

I'll be tossing something to the wolves here before too long, so if you've been itching for a chance to rip me apart, you'll get it. I welcome it - I don't criticize like I do expecting others not to dish it back as hard as I dish it out.

This is a great thread, so here are 2 pics I like too hear some feedback on

I am not a fan of hoods, but I like the first picture.

The only thing that looked a bit "off" to me are the hands. It might just be my perception, but they look a bit large.

Did you use FOV for that shot? If I have it set to FOV 90 the body parts (or weapons) in the foreground always are blown out of proportion.

And this question about the FOV is the perfect moment to shamelessly link to my previous post two or so pages back. It probably got a bit lost in the small arguement. Or maybe nobody could give any other feedback than "this is so crappy shite!" and politely didn't reply ^^

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/50967-screenshot-discussion-thread/?p=1284689

Updated the OP with a few guidelines and such. For your convenience I'll post the updated version below in a spoiler:

Since we already hit a little bump in the road here, we should make a few things more clear. Keep in mind that this thread should be welcoming, friendly and civil at all times. Everybody is welcome to share thoughts, criticism and screenshots of any kind, we're all on equal ground here. The goal of this thread is to emphasize on communication rather on using the like button, if you like something, explain why. If you think you spotted a flaw or two, don't just simply move on without saying anything. A healthy conversation is more interesting and more rewarding than just hitting that like button. Of course nobody is forced to participate, but it's encouraged to do so - that's what a forum is for. And if you want to, it'd be very nice if you follow a guideline or two to keep things comfy here:

• An example of acceptable, negative criticism, with constructiveness:
  • The eyes of your character seems to be lacking; maybe if you were to reduce the pupil size and consider a more earthy color.

• Example of unacceptable negative criticism:
  • I don't think I like the eyes of your character, they look pretty bad.

The first example, is easier for someone to accept. They can use this criticism to make changes for the better, or improve in what they're doing. They don't have to follow or take the criticism, but at least they understand why you didn't like it, and what you would personally change. The second example, simply states you don't like it, without moving forward.

• An example of acceptable, positive criticism, with constructiveness:
  • I really love the eyes of your character, because I think it brings out the color of their hair and complements a softer appearance.

• Example of unacceptable positive criticism:
  • I think the eyes of your character are better than like 90% of the eyes I've seen on other people's characters.

The first example, you gave the person a compliment, and stated why. This helps them to improve, as they can work more toward that softer appearance, OR even work against it (if a soft appearance wasn't what they were trying to convey). The second example, while complimenting the person, put them on a pedestal over the other "90%" who have just been backhanded. It also doesn't give the person you've critiqued, anything to work with to improve or even be mindful of.

That being said, this thread shouldn't be a hugbox nor a thread for shitposting. Meaning if you just want to grab a few likes or bash someone, you're wrong here. If you post something, expect people to comment on it - be it praise or not. As long as we manage to maintain a friendly atmosphere, this shouldn't be a problem. Post your screenshots, post your thoughts - but don't expect everybody to like it or to listen to your advice just because you posted it. You can, however, expect people being honest, sincere and friendly all around.

Thanks to Kaos Wulf and Taskmaster who basically wrote this OP for me. Couldn't have done it without you, guys!

Of course we have no way to enforce those guidelines, but It'd be cool if people would follow these regardless.

TESV_2015_08_07_22_11_49_20.jpgTESV_2015_07_08_00_25_38_41.jpg

Not much to say about composition. The top one, though, her face is kinda' out of proportion. If the nose and eyes were both lowered a little and the mouth raised up just a bit you'd see a bit more of what would be considered "ideal" ratios. But, to be honest, the golden ratio isn't all there is to beauty either and some of the prettiest faces are not exactly "ideal".

@shermie screens 2 & 3 feel... empty. There are some architectures you could take advantage of like Labyrinthian, Blackreach... Orcs Strongholds can be great too. I took some shots yesterday at Sacellum of Boethiah, it has great potential also

IYnpelu.jpg
BewOlHr.jpg
This one is a "when you see it, you'll shit bricks" pic. :lol:

And this question about the FOV is the perfect moment to shamelessly link to my previous post two or so pages back. It probably got a bit lost in the small arguement. Or maybe nobody could give any other feedback than "this is so crappy shite!" and politely didn't reply ^^

I find the second one the best, enough scenery to give a context but not too much to drown your character into it.

And if you guys legitimately wonder who I am to give opinions here is the kind of stuff I make.

Edit: missed your post FastestDogInTheDistrict, I like how your character looks, but your robes could use some retextures. :P (I personally use EotW mage robes of Skyrim )

And if you guys legitimately wonder who I am to give opinions here is the kind of stuff I make.

Edit: missed your post FastestDogInTheDistrict, I like how your character looks, but your robes could use some retextures. :P (I personally use EotW mage robes of Skyrim )

Ah - yes. I can't recall if I had them installed or not, but I normally use Kobayashi's "Standard" weave overhaul. Just the Black Mage Hood there, and the mourner's outfit (*I made a custom outfit for Jochen as part of the mod). ;)

*When I read your post I actually went & checked to see if I had uploaded pics to Ewok's & Misslexi's Mage Robes page - I thought I had added several, but apparently I did not. I now feel very guilty - I had been a tester for those, but I completely forgot about pics! I will remedy this memory-lapse ASAP! :blink:

I am not a fan of hoods, but I like the first picture.

The only thing that looked a bit "off" to me are the hands. It might just be my perception, but they look a bit large.

Did you use FOV for that shot? If I have it set to FOV 90 the body parts (or weapons) in the foreground always are blown out of proportion.

Yes I used FOV cant remember, what I set it too but thats probaly why the hands look bigger then they are

TESV_2015_08_07_22_11_49_20.jpgTESV_2015_07_08_00_25_38_41.jpg

Not much to say about composition. The top one, though, her face is kinda' out of proportion. If the nose and eyes were both lowered a little and the mouth raised up just a bit you'd see a bit more of what would be considered "ideal" ratios. But, to be honest, the golden ratio isn't all there is to beauty either and some of the prettiest faces are not exactly "ideal".

I will try and and move thoes sliders and see if I like the change and thanks for your opinion :)

The snow in my game during the day. Clear weather (set with the weather control ring from Screenshot assist tools). Do you guys think it looks too bright?

Kind of, but on a clear day that's just what snow does, blind you.  

So no.  Its not too bright in my opinion.  

And I see you have 2K textures.  Do you have it parallax? I.E. this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/64856/?

Maybe give her a bald head if the thing you want to show is the face? Depending on what hairstyle you use, the face but especially the forehead can look pretty skewed without it actually having weird proportions. It's not that she should run around with a bald head of course, just for tweaking the face or showing it to others, because hair can get in the way of seeing things. I've noticed some issues with KS Hairdos for example, where most hairs give the impression that the forehead is either too short or too long because they tend to have a weird hairline.

From your shots I'd say the eyes could be a bit lowered and that they are a bit too... thin? I'd reduce the width of the eyes a bit and move the eyelids a bit further apart. Or just chose other eyes, from my experience those are pretty hard to work with. Also the lips could be a tiny bit lower, I think.

If there's anything else people can think of to do with her let me know. 

Going to have to redo her profile so starting a new game with her saved Citrus facegen model.

c7L1Vqf.jpg

yNbySlS.jpg

I can't suggest anything. Beautiful face that's just different enough from others to set it apart. Good work.

Opinion of course. :D

Here's an old pic of my main character that was posted here before:  Erika Storm-Heart.  Anyone have any thoughts on her?

I'd rise the iris a bit (she appears to be looking down, unless this was intended of course) and close the little gap between her upper und lower lip. Other than that, she looks very good.

I wanted to give her a bit of a unique appearance.  I guess she could do without the slight gap in her lips though.  Thanks for the feedback. :)

She looks very unique, though. Like a woman who has seen some hardship in her life - if she would have grown up in a sheltered and comfy environment, she might have been a very pretty snowflake. She's still very pretty, just a little roughed up. I like it.

If there's anything else people can think of to do with her let me know. 

Going to have to redo her profile so starting a new game with her saved Citrus facegen model.

c7L1Vqf.jpg

yNbySlS.jpg

I apologize in advance, but that nose and underlip look very weird to me. They are too big, and they make her face really imbalanced.

The snow in my game during the day. Clear weather (set with the weather control ring from Screenshot assist tools). Do you guys think it looks too bright?

Question unrelated to snow - that armour looks kinda cool, what is it? :huh:

Nice face on this character, Reek!  :) 

Here's an old pic of my main character that was posted here before:  Erika Storm-Heart.  Anyone have any thoughts on her?

XMWJG8F.jpg

I think you did nice work here - your character has tons of character, which is not always a common thing! Cool! ^_^

I've been lurking for a bit to see if this thread would go south, which it did for a little, but it's nice to see that things quickly recovered. :)

Anyway, here are some screens that I'd like some brutal honesty on:

For this set, I had no specific goal in mind. Just messing around with F.E.P, so fire away.

Neutral expression
gI5Cm05.jpg
Q8Vg42t.jpg
OVWqgrS.jpg
kxNNyko.jpg
EuZTaRg.jpg

As for this one, I've been trying to make a barbarian Bosmer instead of the usual "Bosmer are always archers" jimmie jam.

Also looking for pointers on the screenshots as a whole.

3UUsnTM.jpg
tfuWEdw.jpg
9aJPXVA.jpg

Also, what do you guys use to take screenshots? The method that comes with ENB outputs really dark screenshots, and the ones Fraps output were even darker. My workaround has been brightening with Photoshop so far, but the end result still doesn't look as good as everything in-game. 

Archived