2. Requirements
3. Installing
4. Uninstalling
5. Compatibility & issues
6. How to use
7. FAQ
8. Changelog

1. Description

A modder resource that implements few papyrus functions related to console. You can execute console commands, change selected reference and some other things.

2. Requirements

SKSE 1.7.1 or higher: http://skse.silverlock.org/

3. Installing

Exctract Data folder over your Skyrim Data folder or use a mod manager to install.

4. Uninstalling

Remove files you added when installing or use a mod manager. Any mod that requires this mod will not work properly (at least the console parts).

5. Compatibility & issues

Don't think there are any.

6. How to use

Once installed, open Data/Scripts/Source/ConsoleUtil.psc. You will see which commands are available and how to use.

Examples:

Change field of view to 90.

ConsoleUtil.ExecuteCommand("fov 90")

Open actorRef inventory to allow taking items.

ConsoleUtil.SetSelectedReference(actorRef)ConsoleUtil.ExecuteCommand("openactorcontainer 1")

Print message to console.

ConsoleUtil.PrintMessage("Hello")

Check installed version of mod.

int version = ConsoleUtil.GetVersion()if(version == 0); not installedendif

7. FAQ

Why make this?
Some commands were not available from papyrus but are from console.

Can I include this with my mod?
I would rather you didn't, if there's an update and multiple mods include this then the versioning becomes confusing and would cause problems. Include link here as requirement or write your mod with optional support ConsoleUtil.GetVersion will return 0 if mod isn't installed.

I screwed up my game
Console commands are powerful and can cause a lot of problems if misused. Make sure you (or mod author) knows what they are doing.

It doesn't work
Create a text file in Skyrim's directory called "ConsolePlugin.txt", start Skyrim and get to the part where it doesn't work, then open the file and see if any errors were written. If no errors then your script is incorrect or plugin wasn't loaded in SKSE.

8. Changelog

3 - 14/10/2015

• Added a command to read last line that was written to console.
  • Fixed bug where sometimes SetSelectedReference would not work immediately. Thanks to Kerberus14 for that.

2 - 26/05/2015

• Fixed bug that would crash game if printing message longer than 1024 characters.
  • Fixed bug where printing from multiple threads may cause weirdness.
  • Fixed bug where printing % symbol could cause weirdness.

1 - 25/05/2015
Initial release

Sounds nice - but I still don't find a reason to use this. Which useful commands are not available via SKSE / Papyrus? Any examples? The container of references are completely accessible in Papyrus.

sexchange is not available from Papyrus.

I am happy to see consoleUtil to unlock that roadblock for gender change content in Hormones.

And from the example, can you change fov from papyrus?

I am sure there are others.

PrintMessages sometimes loses the last letter in a String or puts a string between the end of the last making a one free line  with just a linefeed and the line before with the 2 strings.

Instead of:

"SomeString1\n

SomeString2\n"

it does:

"SomeString1SomeString2\n

\n"

I don't see a pattern it also only happens when a lot of stuff runs, loading a new game for example.

The console print is a lot better than spaming the notification tab full with Init this and Execute that messages.

Did you enter:

ConsoleUtil.PrintMessage("SomeString1")
ConsoleUtil.PrintMessage("SomeString2")

or

ConsoleUtil.PrintMessage("SomeString1\nSomeString2\n")

?

Not sure if you've ended up rolling this in or not, but a major related bug I ended up fixing in PapyrusUtil's PrintConsole function; if the string is over 1024 characters than printing it to console crashes the game.

void PrintConsole(StaticFunctionTag* base, BSFixedString text) {
		if (!text.data)
			return;
		else if (strlen(text.data) < 1024)
			Console_Print(text.data);
		else { // Large strings printed to console crash the game - truncate it
			std::string msg = text.data;
			msg.resize(1020);
			msg.append("...");
			Console_Print(msg.c_str());
		}
	}

Did you enter:

ConsoleUtil.PrintMessage("SomeString1")
ConsoleUtil.PrintMessage("SomeString2")

or

ConsoleUtil.PrintMessage("SomeString1\nSomeString2\n")

?

The 1 and 2 are just for visualization.

I call one function from two or more scripts (nearly at the same time) with this in it

ConsoleUtil.PrintMessage("SomeString")

And I get most of the time

SomeString
SomeString
SomeString

in the console as it should be

But sometimes (really really rare) I get

SomeStringSomeString

SomeString

Also really really rare

SomeString
SomeStrin
SomeString

I call always the same function

I have a potential regression to report.

Since I updated to the last version, calling SexChange from the console using this tool is not working anymore.

Did anything change that would break it?

I am using:

ConsoleUtil.ExecuteCommand("sexchange")

No I don't think so, only print message stuff changed.

Try 2 things:

1. Create new file called ConsolePlugin.txt in Skyrim folder (TESV.exe), go in game, command don't work, then check the text file.

2. Try if previous version works.

Ok. I tried it.

1. Creating a new ConsolePlugin.txt file in the top folder didn't go anywhere. The file remains empty.

2. Installing version 1 of the plugin made the command work again in my script, so something seems to be up with version 2.

Ok and you know that sexchange is targeted command, so you used SetSelectedRef or player.sexchange?

No.. I didn't.

It was working fine without target in version 1.

I will try it targeted with version 2.

Edit: That was it.. thanks.

Version 2 works fine after I added the target.

• 2 months later...

rather than throw an error about undefined ConsoleUtil.GetVersion() when it is not installed, i would like to SKSE.GetPluginVersion() instead - the thing is i need to know what you named it internally, as that doesn't have to match the dll file. ConsolePlugin? ConsolePlugin2? ConsoleUtil? etc etc. the SKSE Plugin Name.

SqxfFjK.png?1

cheers.

unfortunately, im not sure ill be able to stick with this anyway. i was using it to execute `fov` but for some reason when fov is executed from consoleutil sometimes the screen ends up stretched weird, even though it never happens when i manually fov from the console. the stretch corrects itself when opening the character menus. 

I think changing FOV relies on menu being open, I had the same problem with earlier versions of IFPV and had to hack some kind of weird update to get it working properly.

You can achieve the same thing without using console util if all you want to do is change FOV:

Utility.SetINIFloat("fDefaultWorldFOV:Display", 80)
Also requires menu to open / close before changes.

yeah i already tried that, i had found it in the "customizable camera" mod - the problem is i am trying to change the fov when engaging the uiextensions wheel menu, which does not trigger the required update for the fov. i got the position working so the character appears off to the side of the wheel, but not the fov for zooming sadly. i wonder if there is anything expired can do in skse to provide an fov kicker.

• 8 months later...

I have a script that's trying to use this mod, but it's not working. I created the ConsolePlugin.txt file and after running, it reported the following errors:

07 May 14:14:50 Console initialize timed out.

07 May 14:16:10 Failed to get console pointer!

Any idea what's causing these and/or how to fix it?

Thanks.

Update: Apparently this only happens sometimes. It does load correctly occasionally, and when it does the script in question works.