I love the randomness. Toon got approached by a fox and was very quite forward in their desire. But toon turned him down. The fox's little sad face could have spoken volumes before he - I assume he - turned tail and ran over the crest of a hill into the early morning sunlight.

Haha yeah I love the randomness too it was one of my main goals. Thanks for the feedback, it is really important to get it... as most feedback is just people having problems, and those who the mod works for don't say squat.

Actually 'randomness' was probably the wrong word. That's just the effect, however it's the fact that there is an underlying calculation/methodology which is the cool thing. Although Random Sex can be tuned to do this, it seems a bit of a cheat. Knowing that the little fox has had certain desires "pre-programmed" to do that, (to an extent - although actually random), is way cooler.

I love the randomness. Toon got approached by a fox and was very quite forward in their desire. But toon turned him down. The fox's little sad face could have spoken volumes before he - I assume he - turned tail and ran over the crest of a hill into the early morning sunlight.

Haha yeah I love the randomness too it was one of my main goals. Thanks for the feedback, it is really important to get it... as most feedback is just people having problems, and those who the mod works for don't say squat.

Actually 'randomness' was probably the wrong word. That's just the effect, however it's the fact that there is an underlying calculation/methodology which is the cool thing. Although Random Sex can be tuned to do this, it seems a bit of a cheat. Knowing that the little fox has had certain desires "pre-programmed" to do that, (to an extent - although actually random), is way cooler.

Let's call it unpredictability... fuzzy logic :D

I know what you mean.  Last night I was privy to a conversation between a Thalmor Soldier and a dog in Markarth's keep.  Apparently they were both big fans of someone's backside, though sadly I didn't catch exactly who they were talking about.

Talking to a dog is normal.  When the dog talks back, though, something is wrong.

(Any way to make animals invalid actors for spoken lines?)

I know what you mean.  Last night I was privy to a conversation between a Thalmor Soldier and a dog in Markarth's keep.  Apparently they were both big fans of someone's backside, though sadly I didn't catch exactly who they were talking about.

Talking to a dog is normal.  When the dog talks back, though, something is wrong.

Well at least dog talking back is actually lore friendly, (and thus apparently immersive). Actually the fact that the random sex starved guard not taking the opportunity to take advantage to a somewhat blatant advance, (by proxy conversation), is actually a flaw in the algorithm.

(If young - probably don't appreciate the analogy- when you get older, you go 'Oh fuck - that's what they meant'. (not dogs - that would just be weird))

Well at least dog talking back is actually lore friendly, (and thus apparently immersive). Actually the fact that the random sex starved guard not taking the opportunity to take advantage to a somewhat blatant advance, (by proxy conversation), is actually a flaw in the algorithm.

(If young - probably don't appreciate the analogy- when you get older, you go 'Oh fuck - that's what they meant'. (not dogs - that would just be weird))

Hahaha loool :D

For the dog speaking back, it can obviously be the imagined response by the one overhearing...

Hardcore animal stuff (does not exist yet) can be turned on/off from the MCM. However, speaking to animal will always just be innocent (animal is not the target of approach) and can not be disabled. For the animal lines to be just silence... too much work.

Guest ffabris

OK, will test. :)

BUT ... note that I did the clear attributes at your request. I don't normally do that; instead, I set them as I want, for Player and NPCs.

Also, I did try disabling Initialize Sexuality, but for the Player, gender preference is still stuck at Female. In other words, it isn't reading the SLA setting (or is reading it incorrectly).

I won't be able to test right away; meantime, if you have specific steps you want me to try, that might help - both of us. ;)

-----

Added:

OK ... color me confused (not that that's unusual for me). Bear in mind that I am doing these tests on saves which never had SLSL installed, simply by making note of a save that didn't have SLSL loaded, then adding it to the load and testing. Once done, I remove SLSL from load order and reload the save that never had it.

When I open the SLSL menu for the very first time, with no target (meaning, Player is target), it starts at default settings. That means that sex attributes (eg, faithful, rapist, etc etc) are at random values, and gender preference has been initialized - incorrectly. If I now change attributes, and disable Initialize Sexuality, it is already too late, since gender preference is already set - to Female, instead of Male, as set in SLA. For the Player.

For NPCs, it appears to be set correctly, at first. But after triggers an encounter, as outlined above, the NPC setting in SLA can also wind up different from how it was set.

So in short:

• Player is being initialized incorrectly in SLSL right from the start, before or when the menu is opened for the first first time. Changing settings at this point has no effect at all. (I did try setting SLA to Female, and then back to Male, but SLSL isn't picking up that change.
  • Subsequent to the first forced trigger of attempt sex, SLSL is altering the setting in SLA, which in theory should not happen, I guess.

My guess is that SLSL isn't reading the SLA value for Player on first load; it is instead forcing it to Female. Nothing I have tried will allow me to change that setting in SLSL - until an encounter is triggered. Only then, after SLA's setting is overwritten, and I correct it, does SLSL show the correct preference.

P.S. Tested the above with 0.13.0 - same results as 0.12.x

I think I now understand what you mean. I added this to the manual:

Please note that the Initialize actors and Initialize sexuality option both are on by default, so after installing SLSL anyone in the crosshair, when you enter the MCM menu will get initialized. Since the player itself is the default target for the MCM menu he at least will always get initialized with both the attributes and the sexuality. Also, until you turn off one or both options, anyone who gets randomly picked for a sex event, will also be initialized with random attributes and sexuality. By default the speed of the mod is set to 30 seconds, so it may be that some close-by actors have been initialized by the time when the mod MCM menu has been installed and by the time you get to enter the MCM menu to turn off the options you want to. In case this behavior is unwanted: Install this mod only when your actor is alone or refer to papyrus log to track down who might have been initialized before you disabled initialization.

Uhm... ok. So essentially, on start, SLSL (for my situation) will start out incorrectly, and I will have to trigger an encounter in order to fix it. Because disabling init doesn't fix the problem by itself: SLSL has already set the wrong value, and you cannot change it in SLSL. Suggestion: Some button to get SLSL to resynch with SLA.

But you're left with one issue: why is SLSL overwriting SLA settings?

Guest ffabris

OK, Dooge, lemme try another step by step....

• Go to an empty cell (qasmoke)
  • Player is Male, verify SLA has gender pref set to Male
  • quit Skyrim, install SLSL, restart Skyrim
  • wait for SLSL menu to load into MCM
  • open SLA menu, verify that preference = Male - it is
  • open SLSL menu, observe preference = Female (incorrect)
  • disable the two init settings.
  • wait for SLSL to poll again (30secs or more)
  • check SLSL setting, preference = Female still
  • try changing SLA pref to Both (for example)
  • check SLSL - preference = Female still
  • change SLA back to Male
  • SLSL Preference = Female

In short, there is no way to get the SLSL setting to where I want it - except by doing the following:

• return to player home, where there is a follower
  • trigger approach with comma
  • wait for it to fail
  • open SLA settings
  • observe that preference has been changed (which it should not be!)
  • fix the SLA setting
  • open SLSA and observe that finally, SLSA has the correct preference, Male
  • observe that follower SLA preference may also have changed to Both; fix.

It seems to me that the logic behind Initialize is the problem - or one of the problems. When you first start SLSL, initialize sexuality is enabled, and sets the Player preference to a built-in default (I am guessing): Female. So far so good. The problem is that if Initialize is then disabled, SLSL is not then reading the setting in SLA. Nor is SLSL allowing me to manually change the preference in SLSL. Short of going through the steps above, of forcing an interaction, I have no way at all of changing the SLSL gender preference once it has been initialized to default. (Sorry for the bolding, but that's the real problem here, basically.)

So, if I may, I'd like to suggest a change:

• rename Initialize sexuality to Override sexuality
  • on first load, it is enabled; player should be able to click the gender preference on the right and change it (not currently possible)
  • if Override is then disabled, SLSL should then poll SLA to see what is set there, and update the SLSL setting (it isn't doing this currently). SLSL gender preference on the right, at this point, should NOT be modifiable.
  • If player subsequently re-enables Override, SLSL again sets the preference to the default, and once again allows it to be manually set.

This should fix the issue, though it doesn't address why SLSL is changing the setting in SLA. Also, that leaves the mystery as to why the SLA setting is totally ignored until after an approach is triggered.

Tired of me yet? ;)

Uhm... ok. So essentially, on start, SLSL (for my situation) will start out incorrectly, and I will have to trigger an encounter in order to fix it. Because disabling init doesn't fix the problem by itself: SLSL has already set the wrong value, and you cannot change it in SLSL. Suggestion: Some button to get SLSL to resynch with SLA.

But you're left with one issue: why is SLSL overwriting SLA settings?

After starting SLSL, go to MCM as soon as you can and disable 'initialize sexuality'. If no-one was close by, only the player was changed. To change it back, go to SLA puppet master and put back the preferred sexuality for the player.

Everyone is more or less BI, and/or ends up to have sexuality based on player actions if the default SL/SLA setting is not changed. I wanted more realistic distribution. It was an early decision and I didn't consider it's effects. I should have probably written it up somewhere, sorry about that man.

For your later mail... maybe there is some loophole somewere. I will think about it, but I was on my way to bed now so it has to wait until tomorrow. Anyway, no problem, I want to root this out just as much as you. I just have limited capacity being dog and all.

One problem for me it's I was not able to reproduce that situation, but with so detailed description I should be able to understand what goes on.

One thing is for sure tho, slsl has no setting for gender preference of its own. It just reads it from sla. (and sets it during initialization) If then genders are picked out refused wrong also it must be additional bug.

Guest ffabris

After starting SLSL, go to MCM as soon as you can and disable 'initialize sexuality'. If no-one was close by, only the player was changed. To change it back, go to SLA puppet master and put back the preferred sexuality for the player.

As explained above, I try that - it doesn't work.

• SLA is not set incorrectly, so there is nothing to put back.
  • Even if I do change it in SLA, SLSL is ignoring the change.

The point I am trying to make is that there is no way to change the initial SLSL setting for gender preference.

One thing is for sure tho, slsl has no setting for gender preference of its own. It just reads it from sla. (and sets it during initialization) If then genders are picked out refused wrong also it must be additional bug.

Except that it isn't reading the SLA gender preference at all. Otherwise, SLSL would not show Female, when SLA is set to Male.

Deleting all corrupt active scripts tied to SLSL and cleaning with both Savetool and Scalpel somehow made my game recognize the initializing quest. After some debug messages noting my male char likes women etc it promptly registered all the barbies and they're talking smutty alright.

In any case the problem did not stem from SLSL but instead from my other script heavy mods. Maybe all those concurrent active scripts didn't want to play nice with each other, who knows?

The instant I fixed this issue Skyrim starts artifacting :@ :@ :@ .

Greetings.

I just updated from 7 to 13 following the procedure from the OP.

I am having the same issue as ffabris. I am playing a female and my SLSL gender preference was set to female even though both SL and SLA are set to Bisexual and Both respectively and they were not changed. It seems as if SLSL is simply not reading them correctly (or at all).

( Edit: I should note that I was in the Whiterun catacombs for installation, without followers. Also I made sure that Initialize Sexuality was disabled as soon as the MCM showed up in my list. )

Also, I really enjoyed having version 7 in my game and it worked quite well for me. I'm really looking forward to the updates/upgrades you've implemented since then. Thanks for sharing!

Guest ffabris

Greetings.

I just updated from 7 to 13 following the procedure from the OP.

I am having the same issue as ffabris. I am playing a female and my SLSL gender preference was set to female even though both SL and SLA are set to Bisexual and Both respectively and they were not changed. It seems as if SLSL is simply not reading them correctly (or at all).

( Edit: I should note that I was in the Whiterun catacombs for installation, without followers. Also I made sure that Initialize Sexuality was disabled as soon as the MCM showed up in my list. )

Also, I really enjoyed having version 7 in my game and it worked quite well for me. I'm really looking forward to the updates/upgrades you've implemented since then. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for confirming! I no longer feel as though I am going mad. :D

Guest ffabris

OK new day maybe today I figure it out!

[offering cookies]  Good luck! :)

My last step-by-step should, I hope, explain. The root issue: Once SLSL has set a gender preference, it cannot be changed. But see that post for details.

OK new day maybe today I figure it out!

[offering cookies]  Good luck! :)

My last step-by-step should, I hope, explain. The root issue: Once SLSL has set a gender preference, it cannot be changed. But see that post for details.

I followed it, and got the preference changed to female just as you said. Then however I just went to SLA and changed it back and all was good. Will keep testing.

If you have logs (papyrus) that may be helpful.

OK, triggered an approach and it went back to female. That's progress man! OK I see the culprit. It's the ghost speaker who speaks on behalf of the player since 0.12

What it did (in some cases) it shows the gender preference for someone else than the player, while identifying as 'YOU'. This is just one possible reason why the procedure I suggested did not work for you.

I changed how the crosshair selection works and now it should not show 'YOU' ever since he/she is completely irrelevant.

Can you update with these attached files (put them into sexlife/scripts folder and overwrite the old) and try again according the instruction here

adcMCM.pex

adcSexlifeMain.pex

Guest ffabris

Dooge, are the two files you linked to above, the same as what's in 0.14?

Same as in 0.14

YAY! That works! [sends a big box of cookies] :)

To summarize results:

• Start game with SLSL - SLA already has the correct settings
  • Wait for SLSL MCM to register
  • Open SLSL config, disable sexuality init. Gender preference is Female (expected)
  • Go to SLA config, observe that gender preference has changed to Female (unexpected, but ok)
  • Change SLA preference to Male
  • Go to SLSL config, observe that gender preference now correctly shows Male.
  • Party!

But .... triggering an encounter with an NPC, I get: No animation found with the tags +:-:

To summarize results:

• Open SLSL config, disable sexuality init. Gender preference is Female (expected)
  • Go to SLA config, observe that gender preference has changed to Female (unexpected, but ok)
  • Party!

But .... triggering an encounter with an NPC, I get: No animation found with the tags +:-:

Great!

Also, uploaded 0.14.1 that should allow animations again.

Guest ffabris

To summarize results:

• Party!

Great!

Kinda ... No animations with the tag +:MM-: 

It worked on second attempt, however.

Testing more times, I got another fail, but the on-screen text was just too tiny to read.

So... it works, but not 100% (btw, all these tests are force triggered with comma). But getting there! Woohoo! :)

To summarize results:

• Party!

Great!

Kinda ... No animations with the tag +:MM-: 

It worked on second attempt, however.

Testing more times, I got another fail, but the on-screen text was just too tiny to read.

So... it works, but not 100% (btw, all these tests are force triggered with comma). But getting there! Woohoo! :)

It now adds tags based on genders, which limits the available amount, and thus resulting sometimes to no animations at all. I could add one default animation so something would play always if no proper animations were available.

Hey Dooge, how are you doing?

I have a question - is it possible to alter a racist trait? I mean racist will sleep not only with same race but with "specific". For example Isolda agrees for sex only with Imperials, although she's Nord.

Or perhaps you can add a new trait based on what i've mentioned above?

Cheers, man, will test 14.1 tomorrow (too late for me today).

Guest ffabris

It now adds tags based on genders, which limits the available amount, and thus resulting sometimes to no animations at all. I could add one default animation so something would play always if no proper animations were available.

Hum, I'd remove that tag limitation - IMHO. Most hetero animations work very well with MM pairs. The player can then enable/disable specific mods in SexLab (for example, I disable all lesbian anims).

That's also what most other sex mods do. So tags like oral, anal, etc etc should be enough, and let the player decide which anims should be used by the mod.