IS DragonAge Inquisition modable?

Hasagawa

Well just so you guys know we already have unpacked the entire game.  One of the creators, Ehamloptiran, was able to replace a texture.  He's working on quite a few things, such as mesh replacement.  I don't know if any of you played ME3, but WarrantyVoider is also working on this project.  WV plans to make a gui version of Ehamloptiran's work, allowing us to also preview what we extract.

Feel free to track the progression of the project here:

http://me3explorer.freeforums.org/post13465.html#p13465

You can also download the file extractor here:

http://me3explorer.freeforums.org/post13379.html#p13379

Its all command line, so if you don't know it..you'll have to wait till WV is done with his gui.

Examples of meshes I've been playing with in 3ds max:

ibmUxPdPOcRFPk.png

iMfnGLZ7e3QAI.png

I've already started porting Tera armor from skyrim:

iBrR5au6g6iFJ.png

irqY2aw9HrcnC.png

The base nude body is really bad, like really bad.  The textures for it are also very bad.  The shape is sorta like UNP with no curves at all lol.  It barely even has hips.  Hopefully either someone will port a good body type, or create a new one.  This progress had all been made in less than a week.  Eham feels his tools are ready to use, he'll release them.  The biggest test will be if we can add new things, but so far it seems like the game doesn't reject our changes.  Give it a month or so, and mods will be pouring out ;p

Any chance you guys would try porting armors from DAI to Skyrim ?

Saw some awesome pieces, like that Grey Warden legendary armor, fucking hot. Ah and them textures too, I was wondering how one could transform DAI's character textures and make them fit our Skyrim bodies UV maps. Would that be possible ? 

• 3 weeks later...

skintone with a Ken-bulge doesn't qualify as nudity imho. And it may be a  bit off topic, but I was very disappointed in Kotaku after it posted 

http://kotaku.com/ten-sex-scenes-found-in-dragon-age-inquisition-1665184846 

Admittedly they never went so far as to call them "great" but I found the title was misleading in the fact that it stated that DA I had some "pretty good sex scenes." The watered down garbage that had at least made them edgy in the past might as well have been left out. Maybe it's just me, but although it's a great game probably 50% of it's appeal was the romance (let's be honest, f#ck-scenes). I played DA-I and although I greatly enjoyed it I stopped playing at the first mediocre dry hump.  

Which brings me back to Kotaku.. some of these sites are definitely on the take. They must be. Please tell me if I'm off target here but the article seems like it wants to say they suck but is forced into sugar coating it. Ok maybe I'm sociopathic and paranoid.. admittedly. But still.

• 1 month later...

i not know why the game companies don't make tools for help modders to make mods for they games thanks to the modders they make more money because people buy they games for only to play it with mods.

Probably because the tools they work with are so broken and limited that they can't figure out how to make the resulting games moddable. The other side of that coin, though, is heavy duty custom code which they push to the limit.

Bethesda is kind of an exception because they originally built their game from scratch. But every time they upgrade the quality they also wind up buying stuff which gets layered on top (and which requires considerable effort from the modding community to somewhat untangle).

But, for example, they take a certain amount of heat for some of the design tradeoffs which come with releasing a modable game. Consider the crudeness of long-range vision in skyrim, for example, or consider all the people whining because skyrim wasn't as specifically difficult as dark souls.

That said, it doesn't matter what you release - some people are going to be unhappy with it. And it'll never be perfect. But there's something to be said for working your heart out to build what you want to build and let other people build whatever it is that they are capable of.

Also, making a game moddable cost a lot:

- You have to dedicate a full team just to make the game modable.

- Dedicate a QC team for that too

- You have to develop the game with the thought of modding meaning everything must be overridable and still work. It's a different way to work and it means you have a long learning curve for devs that are not used to it

- You can't simply take your dev tools slap a pretty interface on them and toss them to the users, you must develop a mod format (be it an overide directory like in neverwinter kotor etc... Or a file format like morrowind etc)

- QC again and again

- Each later patches must take that into account.

- Each DLCs too.

And that costs a lot:

This mean longer dev time, bigger teams or worse... Each day you add the salaries of every employees from the lowest janitor to the pdg, Taxes on almost everything. Little and big  expenses for the work of the company etc... etc... You then get how much the company pays for a project. Add the fact that investors won't pay eternally for said game... Meaning? Deadline! So only way is bigger teams or you can add less expensive teams from other countries but let's face it you usually ask quantity over quality, and you get what you paid for.

They're not bad developers, by far, but when you ask fast code delivery, that's to be expected.

And that means support for the game (generally small teams because support doesn't bring more money in obviously) but the game can come out in time (and it's not always sufficient).

Add to it the dreaded metacritics (or anything you might speak about). The score is tied to ... more money from the investor, and that's why flashy games get better score, because it's pretty when you play it for some hours. But critics can't play the game from begining to the end. So short term interest is better than long term (and modding is about long term right?) so focusing on good graphics flashy animations or anything that just great if you have low attention span is more important, because if you work, even if you're here because you love games, then you will prefer bringing more money home to your family anytime over making gamers you don't even know happy about it.

So basically making a game moddable cost a lot to a company, and has a low gain in money...

That is unless like bethesda you dedicates some series to modding (fallout, tes...). Remember that although EA, is not know to include modding capabilities, the sims only lives because of that... (And Inquisition modding was not helped, but they didn't try to stop it either)

Of course it's my point of view but modding is not bringing money unless they switch their marketing strategies around it (and that is harder than developing mod tools from scratch for a company)

As for the modding tools for inquisition they're made by the peoples behind the masseffect 3 modding tools... Here http://daitools.freeforums.org/

I even got my nose in it ( but just a little :) )

As for sex mod, they have yet to understand get how animations work... You can swap texture change some of the game logic. Swapping meshes is near but not yet functional... They're working on plot tables yet... For now I think we'll see sidequests come sooner than new animations. Still you can do some pretty good stuff with only text (remember "seducing women" from fallout 3? )

@Medic:

If I remember well with one of the two tool you can extract models, somme even started to work, problem is to slap them back in files for now... You can start working (sommeone as wonderful hairs ready even for Qunaris \o/ ) but although they're working on it... You'll have to wait a little...

• 5 months later...

Yeah well the only nude mod up on the nexus still looks like shit. I mean don't get me wrong its nice that its there but the textures and body mesh are horrific. Honestly they are so bad that I would rather just pretend a nude mod still doesn't exist. 

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Damn you ea just real a mod kit. Why are they being so damn stubborn mods are half the fun. They help fix problems and add cool stuff. Really ea is just being hard headed we will get a nude mod eventually. Someone will crack the code eventually. All ea did was slow them down.

I really wish I had a penis mod for Iron Bull,Dorian,and Cullen. And perhaps better sex scenes mod a mod that makes the scenes immensely more revealing.

Archived