Modifying a bethesda game a fetish in itself?

calranthe

While I have over 1000 hours game play time on most Bethesda titles I seem to spend more time actually applying mods to my game than playing, how it usually goes is this.

Bored, nothing to do this week okay lets delete Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Morrowind and Fallout new vegas, delete all folders contained set steam to re-download overnight, then spend weeks and sometimes months upgrading textures, adding content, creating amazing beautiful scenery and characters, add all the clothing, weapons and Quests.

Make the game as stable as possible under the weight of these mods then start adding the LL mods maybe add 5-10 hours to each game actually playing and most of that is exploring the newest naughtiness.

Rinse and repeat every couple of months.

Being retired means I have quite a lot of spare time but does anyone else go through this to a lesser extent ?

You know, I think this could be a real thing. I spend more time modding than I do actually playing as well. Scrolling through all the new (and sometimes old hidden) armors and houses and towns and on and on. Just to fiddle with it and look at all the new things; only to delete a crapton of mods a few weeks later that I decided I never played with at all. I go through that with the devious devices grouping on a monthly basis x3

I've got more armor/overlay/hair mods than I care to even think about. About 30 armor mods are merged together (minus the 15 that I'm afraid to), it didn't go so well with the overlays I'm still battling that mess. I have no idea how I had 21 overlays all loaded into MO at one time where now I barely get 7 of them to play nicely before Racemenu overlays tab goes boom. (I think it has something to do with the 2.05 and up skele plugin thing but haven't been able to reproduce a working theory yet, it's just round about when it happened >.<) 

When I get too frustrated with skyrim modding or I've blown something up (lol) I'll go into minecraft and mess around, (spending more time testing updated resource packs or mod packs than actually playing) or log into my second life account (gasp) and peruse my folders, make new textures for my boatload of avatar variations and build a bunch of crap that I won't ever get to use because I don't own land any longer. 

Though within the week or two I'm back in skyrim being all pervy and trying to convince my bf to make his male pc into a follower for me and sobbing when I can't get my old computer to make beautiful scenery without the expense of massive fps loss lol. 

I honestly think the draw to modding (anything) is the freedom in creativity and individuality that we all feel/get, and the euphoric rush when we can actually get a mess of 200+ mods working without huge hiccups.

The breathtaking views that we can create out of a game that looks pretty frickin' blah ain't too shabby either.

So yeah, I'm not afraid to call it a fetish <3

I have not done a complete reinstall in over a Year, but I am constantly checking on the Mods that I use for the Game I am currently playing (Skyrim). After I took a break from Skyim this Summer, I spent My first week back into Skyrim updating everything. I cringe when a group of Mods I use get updated at the same time.

I at least am only three Months behind on the Fallouts, and Oblivion.

I hoard all of My Saved Games that I remove from the Game I am playing, and hate making a mistake like overwriting most of My FCOM XYZ Saved Games and all of My Oblivion Mods that were not BAIN packages :@ I still have Ozmo's Body Textures ready to install for Oblivion.

The last few days have been spent playing with the new Sexlab, and Devious Devices. I am beginning to hate Blindfolds and Armbinders.

A "fetish" is defined as an extremely strong devotion to something, sexual or not, so yeah, i guess some people could qualify for it.

I'd considder it more a hobby for my own part, it's a hobby that i am very fond of, but not to the point of emotional connection that it could qualify as a fetish.

It is for me, too. I can't get a character beyond level 10 without starting all over because some great new mod (or update I really want) has come out.

I originally thought this thread meant *making* mods was a fetish, but that's only the case if you are a masochist. The CK is painful to use.

Once I start the modding process I loose interest in playing.  That's why I do the main quests of Bethesda game vanillas first (no mesh or texture replacers, no mods).  The only BethSoft game I didn't do that with was New Vegas (I consider it a big DLC for FO3).  Once I finish the main quests then I start adding stuff.

Another key for me is boredom with the games themselves.  Once I've been through every dungeon and completed every quest line, what else is there?  So I start changing stuff that really doesn't need to be changed...because I'm bored.  And then I change it again.  And then I change it back to what it was originally, and so on.

I second all of this, ive done everything fizzybutt has done many times over. Modding for weeks upon weeks, downloading mods i'm never gonna do, ENB's my pc can never use. Just to turn it on and create a sexy beautiful strong female and then get lv2 then delete her, all the folders everything clean and do it all over.....Highest level character I ever had was 34 my asshole friend talked me into getting MO and boom never when that high again. I MISS YOU SUREN ELDERBLOOD!

Hi, my name is Artemis and I have an addiction.....

I second all of this, ive done everything fizzybutt has done many times over. Modding for weeks upon weeks, downloading mods i'm never gonna do, ENB's my pc can never use. Just to turn it on and create a sexy beautiful strong female and then get lv2 then delete her, all the folders everything clean and do it all over.....Highest level character I ever had was 34 my asshole friend talked me into getting MO and boom never when that high again. I MISS YOU SUREN ELDERBLOOD!

Hi, my name is Artemis and I have an addiction.....

Hello Artemis, and welcome to our group.

hehe, It really is a passion. Some may not consider the word fetish to fit, but then again, when people think of fetishes it's all about the extreme end of the spectrum. Not so. I consider it a beloved albeit frustrating fetish because I'm passionate about it. Creativity and making something different is my passion. Hell, my career is about creation and customization. It's what kept me going in the years after an accident left me unable to work for a while and where it really started because I couldn't do anything else for a time but sit there and mope. I discovered I still had the power to do something and that it could be fun. I might not remember how I did it or remember doing it but damnit it was fun while I did remember. So yeah, I add it to my fetishes because I'm passionate about it enough to get that warm fuzzy feeling when things don't blow up when I add 10 new mods at once :D

My name's Fizzy and I've got an addiction... :3

*passes out everyones favorite cookies* Welcome, welcome, welcome to the group and get comfy.

I wouldn't call it a fetish, it's the power of modding that you feel. It's molding someone elses vision so that it becomes your own.

Both installing mods and making them is intriguing. I'm playing and modding Bethesda games (mostly Skyrim, but also Oblivion and FO3) since years, and sometimes I ask myself if I'm still sane, because I feel utterly bored when I try to play a game that is fixed. That cannot be changed to my needs. It always ends up with me uninstalling the game because I get bored. So I'm pretty much stuck with Beth games. Since the end of 2011 it's mainly Skyrim.

So I would say modding is a great hobby, something that should be possible with any game.

I have no interest at all in "beating a game". Why would I want to be "successful" in someone elses vision? I prefer games that I can play the way I want to play them. Not the way someone I don't even know and who I paid for his game wants me to play it.

There's a profession in which people get paid to play a role that others tell them to play, it's called acting. I'm not an actor, I don't want to be one, and especially when it comes to ROLE playing games it's not my job to play the role the developers assign me to play. I play games because I want to. Not to earn a living. So a fixed default hero (mostly the usual stereotype crap) is not my choice.

Often I stumble upon games that are really nice, but what always spoils the fun is that they are not open to modding, and it's a shame. The last time I really regretted that was "Kingdoms of Amalur". Quite unstable and in dire need of mods and bugfixes because the game company went broke due to mismanagement. If that would be open to modding it would be awesome. But given the state that it is in it's just another nice but irrelevant RPG game. Just as an example.

Every game game open to modding - that would be my personal Utopia.

Only in Bethesda game am I so invested in playing mods. Sure there are other mods for games else where, a little texture here and there maybe some small tweak.

But only with Oblivion, Fallout, and Skyrim am I willing to spend and occasionally enjoy :P hours and hours of my time testing out mods and figuring out how to get things to work to the way I like.

I honestly don't care about the vanilla story in these game, and sometimes I wonder if it is a blessing or a curse. I have come to admit to the fact that I am pretty much only into these games for their mods, sexual mods in particular. And for whatever reason these games have both just enough freedom and enough "lore" constrains to enable all sort of interesting things to happen. Admittedly however the whole "Dragonborn" thing is a tad too limiting at times.

I don't know if I can say modding the game is a fetish thing, perhaps my biggest obsession is trying to tinker, understand, and test different things to see how it will work.

I spent majority of my "game" time in Skyrim testing mods. The fact that Skyrim saves/script systems tends to blow up with uninstalling and updates mid save forces user to constantly having to restart in order to get a clean clear picture which means I am force to restart constantly. Back in fallout and Oblivion this is less of an issue.

The time when I am actually "playing" I usually focus on testing out ways to optimize the game leveling system...my current highest level character is level 70, one that I have spent maybe 40 hours in the last week or so trying to figure out how to level quick and have access to various perks/powers, now that I made it this far and have done all the relevant quests I am sort of at a stand still.

But with that new Sexlab just got release it's time to go back to the drawing board...and that Death Alternative wasn't working exactly to my liking was it a save issue?...maybe it is time to give SD+ an extended gameplay test...didn't Submit just included DA integration...Aradia Devious had some new armor...More Nasty Creatures had some new animations I heard...I wonder how far Sexlab Stories got since the last time I tried it...Oh fuck did I just spent another 4 hours on the LL forum? But so much more to see so much more to know...Hermaeus Mora

I'm going to school to build video games then i'm to make my own company creating all sorts of games for people to play then interesting enough (See Super AI TAKES OVER WORLD THREAD) I want to build super computers, AI's, androids and many other robots, I have an inherent passion for technology i'm called the "Tech guy" by my own parents and siblings its what i'm known for. I have had things break around other people only to have them ask me and I just be around and it works again I don't know if I have a gift or what.

*Scarfs down 2 cookies at once* "What is it? I'm a busy man, out with it!"

While I have over 1000 hours game play time on most Bethesda titles I seem to spend more time actually applying mods to my game than playing, how it usually goes is this.

Bored, nothing to do this week okay lets delete Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Morrowind and Fallout new vegas, delete all folders contained set steam to re-download overnight, then spend weeks and sometimes months upgrading textures, adding content, creating amazing beautiful scenery and characters, add all the clothing, weapons and Quests.

Make the game as stable as possible under the weight of these mods then start adding the LL mods maybe add 5-10 hours to each game actually playing and most of that is exploring the newest naughtiness.

Rinse and repeat every couple of months.

Being retired means I have quite a lot of spare time but does anyone else go through this to a lesser extent ?

I like also start complete fresh from time to time to try new ENB most of the time.

Well not so many games but i do this with Skyrim some times after 2 months but sometimes i stick with a build my current build i have around 4 months now 253 mods 4 months stable skyrim and beautiful looking world, so i won´t change any time soon if its not broken it don´t need a fix. I only sometimes change few mods.

I have btw played skyrim for about 70% complete and a character to lvl 118. Got 2070 hours into skyrim played prolly 500 hours and 1570 hours mod my game and making screenshots or creating characters which are mainly female :D

Also have to much time on my hands ;)

I find the tedium that comes with downloading, installing, and tweaking mods well, tedious. It also can be frustrating as hell when you run into conflicts that you have no way of explaining as to how they occurred. Although Oblivion is a special case for me, I've lost count of the number of times I've done the re-installation process over the years. I have everything down to a fine art with that game, I know exactly which mods I'm going to get, which tools to use, how to use them, etc. The end result isn't perfect by any means, but it gets better (mostly) with each successive try.

I can painfully relate to this. Not because I enjoy it, but because a mod update or a fatal bug I find while playing forces me to remod the game and restart.

I'd really like to get the games the way I like them and never worry about mods again, but that probably won't happen until every mod I use gets its final, rock-stable version.

So I drunk the bottle again, I had said I was done with skyrim and was quitting it. Today I download some new mods and made a new character name Lissana The Matron aka The Matron of death because of her high success rate on assassinates and bounty hunting, but more rightly so her inability to feel remorse, regret or mostly any emotion at all. She just stares at you with cold white blind eyes, yet she never misses a shot, never misses a slash across the throat. The true embodiment of death.

Pictures anyone? xDDD

Archived