Modifying a bethesda game a fetish in itself?

calranthe

No cure in sight I believe, last week I build my super powerful games pc including a nifty ssd drive and realized a couple of things.

I now have 4TB of bethesda game related mods versions of mods that I can never use that came out early in skyrim, F3, FNV, Oblivion or Morrowind, I still have the first god mod I installed for morrowind called witchblade that was one hell of a mod.

Like has been mentioned here in early post, I always beat the game atleast once without any mods or visiting any sites that could have walkthroughs or game discussions.

Creating my perfect version of bethesda games has become more enjoyable than playing any of the vanilla content, I mean it is understandable with over 1000 hours on each game, only so many times you can fight that first dragon or meet your first giant.

Even though I have mod organizer and love that program I still delete and start again.

I feel it is completely normal to test every single mod installed until my save game dies in the name of "science" especially those mods which include violations and bondage of my current character.

Definitely. I hardly ever play more than 3-4 hours of skyrim before I discover tons of new mods I want to install. I get everything working and crash-free, then suddenly I don't feel like playing. It's definitely a thing.

^ This is exactly and I mean EXACTLY what happens to me. I'm hoping my new character lissana stops me from doing that this time tho I kinda like her.

I don't want to jinx it tho.

• 2 weeks later...

I fucking love modding Skyrim. It's a total obsession, but it beats a lot of other ones available, like washing your hands 150x a day or self-harming (though sometimes it does feel like self-harming).  Once in a while  I play it too and it turns out it's pretty good - because I modded the ever living shit out of it.

Skyrim without mods is like trying to get satisfaction from a man with a micro-penis.  

That is me in a nutshell lol. Although my break periods are sometimes longer, and so are my game-play sessions, but it always ends the same way; Play until I get bored. Stop playing. Realize I haven't played in weeks thus uninstall Skyrim. Check a random mod or game or website months later and suddenly feel the need to play Skyrim again, reinstall the game, reinstall mods, start a new character :P

I'm hoping that now using Mod Organizer everything will be much easier xD For instance as I've reached around level 70 with my current character I want to start all over, with a different setup for mods, and Mod Organizer will be perfect for that :D In fact the new character's profile is already all set up \o/

Definitely an addiction for me. Still waiting ever so patiently for Dragon Age: Inquisition, Mount & Blade 2 and Witcher 3 @_@

Skyrim without mods is like trying to get satisfaction from a man with a micro-penis.  

I'm guessing you meant to get satisfaction from a man's micro-penis? :P Because there are -many- other ways to get satisfaction from another person, some are even more efficient than others... providing more finesse at the same time :P

Modding Bethesda games starts out of necessity (because they are crap and buggy as hell) and then turns into a "let's make a better game" type of thing. Actually, buying a Bethesda game is pretty much like buying a game engine with a bunch of reusable assets and examples. Using these you can even create a brand new game from scratch if you wish. Still better than "play once then throw away" type of games IMO.

That is me in a nutshell lol. Although my break periods are sometimes longer, and so are my game-play sessions, but it always ends the same way; Play until I get bored. Stop playing. Realize I haven't played in weeks thus uninstall Skyrim. Check a random mod or game or website months later and suddenly feel the need to play Skyrim again, reinstall the game, reinstall mods, start a new character :P

I'm hoping that now using Mod Organizer everything will be much easier xD For instance as I've reached around level 70 with my current character I want to start all over, with a different setup for mods, and Mod Organizer will be perfect for that :D In fact the new character's profile is already all set up \o/

Definitely an addiction for me. Still waiting ever so patiently for Dragon Age: Inquisition, Mount & Blade 2 and Witcher 3 @_@

I'm guessing you meant to get satisfaction from a man's micro-penis? :P Because there are -many- other ways to get satisfaction from another person, some are even more efficient than others... providing more finesse at the same time :P

Well yes, and there lies the inherent weakness of crap attempts at humor - people want you to also mention fingers and tongue, for the sake of completeness. I nearly did mention them, but foolishly thought I could get away with it for the sake of brevity *shakes fist*   ;)

I fixed your sentence with literally less characters :) I wasn't trying to tick you off though, just making some conversation per se.

I didn't think you were, I just don't want anyone thinking I'm a cockicidal maniac :)

You got a character to 70? I've never managed higher than 34, and that was on the ps3. My highest level on PC is 21. Too many great mods!

I am actually spending like 50% of my time to mod my skyrim/fallout/oblivion (not so true for all game actually modding oblivion take a larger time than skyrim/fallout ^^), Playing the game like 50%

In these 50% of playing :

-Playing for real with all mods 66% ( I mean without getting distracted...)

-And 33% for the fun ( You know what I mean...)

Fetish for me ? not too much but still have satisfaction when It does work correctly after hours of installations or finding why the hell is broking my game ^^

Yes! This is me in a nutshell. Except it's me having to re-install from a clean back-up because I buggered up in what mods I added. I'm wanting to write a story, but have been adding mods first to 'set the scene', so to speak. Still haven't started writing though as I've yet to create the perfect mod combo. I'm close though! XD

Two days ago I wiped Skyrim from my computer like OP said. Spent past two days getting mostly everything back, and am still installing and stablizing. It was the first time I had done that in i think 2 years. My god the performance skyrocketed. With now around 165 active mods (and ~30 texture and mesh mods) I am getting the same performance as i did with ~75 total mods before the wipe. Just goes to show: remember to wipe, or the game's smooth flow will crust and crack.

I'm only at 153h playtime with Skyrim and I only got a character around lvl 10. Every time I think about to really play the story, I find either a mod needs to be updated, a new interessting mod is aviable, rewritte the apropos file or need to change the position for the actors in sexlab animation. Man I wish I could simply play Skyrim XD.

i didnt exactly read everything that was posted because i read the title, which says it all. I do agree however, i find modding games and understanding their structure and making things work that others say "itll never work" more fullfilling than actually playing the game. im unsure of why this is. I find that making something unique out of a game to be more beneficial than having the standard vanilla, so yea i can agree its a fetish of its own.

I guess my fetish goes back to 1992, Castle of the winds MSDOS.

That was my problem. Its one of my favorite games ever, and ive never completed it. Because im too busy modding it. But now thats different. At the moment im really playing it, slowly though, and enjoying it. Ive been watching Gopher play, and been really thinking about how to play, my character is rather...weak i guess.

Although...

In a another month or so im getting a new computer. And when that happens...hehe.

ENB MODS, GRASS MODS, TEXTURE MODS GAAAAAAAH

But until then.

3 days ago i had 85 mods, yesterday i had 104, today i will likely have 137, in 2 weeks i see having over 200 mods.

I use skyrim save cleaner, tes5edit, Boss and Loot, bodyslide, nifskope, wyre bash, textblend lite, skyrim mod manager.

I refuse to use NMM or MO. If i cannot physically know where the mods are, and physically know which one can cause the possible issue, i do not want it.

Ive talked to supposed "pro modders" who say to use NMM or MO, and i question their self applied title.

Yes its preference, however NMM and MO are modding programs made to be user friendly and for new modders.

I like indepth detail about every single peice of information that i am handling and moving around.

If there is an error, i always fix it. There is no error i cannot fix.

And just think, my 10 year old PC, still runs skyrim on max settings with enb and 4k textures, with zero hits to performance.

Yes its an addiction .. Took me a week to get everything running. Game still freezes after 4-5 hours game time, but thats ok for me. Currently ~110 Mods, many of them are gameplay enhancing mods, timescale set to 6 .. I'm actually really playing Skyrim. At the moment I just dont feel the need to add or remove a mod.

Ps. I feel like a noob when saying this, but I've never completed Skyrim's storyline too .. :(

Archived