Bittercup Companion TTW

I can't seem to work it out...

In the versions I've downloaded each of the conditions on those dialogues refer to script variables of the bigtown residents and not bittercups object script. (the bigtown residents script obviously hasn't got the required variables on it.)

The strange thing is though, the version I have on my machine is written the same, except the one I have correctly checks script variables on the newly created bittercup script instead. (and thus creates no errors on an fnvedit error check)

bittercup_comp.esm

I've attached the older version I've been using as a comparison so you can see where my confusion stems from.

Been stuck in a rather nasty move so I've been out of it for a bit. I'll have a look and see if I can find what these errors are. I seem to recall fixing something like this awhile ago with dialogues. :blush:

EDIT: Well I don't know what I was on when checking it the last time (OK, so I was a tad stressed at the time) but I'm getting the errors too. Looks like it's a variable issue in the script. I'll have a look and fix it up. :)

EDIT2: OK, I'm weirded out at the moment. The errors are from packages and dialogs that reference Bittercup, but... it's acting like it's looking for vanilla's Bittercup script which is "BigTownResidentSCRIPT". That's been replaced in my version and as such should not be an issue. I'll keep digging....f

EDIT3: Think I've got it. I apparently need Bittercup's reference in her house to be "touched" by the esp in order to make things... work. Kind of. But they work anyway if I don't do this. :s  Try this new esp and see if you run into the errors:

bittercup_comp.esp

And a huge thanks to Keyser for finding this and bringing it to my attention!! :heart:

• 2 months later...

I never did get that actually. It's post apocalyptic DC. Jails don't even exist. :cool:

Ahem, I'm back on the case as it were. Running into some issues with Dead Money. Namely that I really hate it and I know I'll have to go through it. :lol: But go through it I must. :s If for nothing else than to use the outfit I made for her. :lol:

By the way, as anyone had a chance to run through Old World Blues with her yet?

I never did get that actually. It's post apocalyptic DC. Jails don't even exist. :cool:

I'm just shooting in the dark here, but I think Rivet City has a jail we just never get to see. I highly doubt Harkness is down with summarily executing every random criminal, and Mr. Cantelli is a good example of them not exiling petty criminals. So there's a jail in there somewhere.

Sorry for the random response, I just saw that and it stuck in my head.

Maybe, maybe not.

Remember that incarceration as a punishment for offenders is quite a modern invention. (2-300 years or so).

Prior to that, convicted felons were punished fairly immediately. Capital, corporal or a fine of some kind.

Jails were for keeping the accused or the guilty while they awaited trial/punishment or interrogation, often with at least the threat of torture.

With the collapse of civilization, it's quite plausible that Harkness does at least some summary execution, or delegates it.

I never said he didn't execute anyone, I said he didn't "summarily execute every random criminal". I.E., "Oh, you were caught shoplifting a hat at Potomac Attire? Ok, plasma blast to the head it is."

Though, with the reaction you get when caught "stealing" ("Sorry, I didn't realize you were emotionally attached to the damn bent tin can!") maybe he does.

Actually the whole thing got me thinking about making a jail mod. :cool:  The trick would be the stealing part. Probably doable though. And unlike dorky unmodded Oblivion (or Skyrim ugh) you would be actually punished instead of just a stupid cell. Be a good excuse to use all those stocks furniture and such. :lol: I think somebody made a workable raider cage thing too. (Or maybe the vanilla one works, can't recall at the moment.)

What a shame there aren't any Vault City like settlements. The vanilla Enclave stuff would be perfect. :blush:

What a shame there aren't any Vault City like settlements. The vanilla Enclave stuff would be perfect. :blush:

I'd only really imagine Megaton or Rivet City in Fallout 3 having any kind of jails. In NV, the Legion already have things like that setup all around, the Powder Gangers live in a jail, and I imagine the NCR would use some sort of central facility after the fall of NCRCF - which could be an old Enclave bunker.

I know the Oblivion track crime stuff and bounty system is still in Fallout, I wonder how hard it would be to actually implement it and over-ride the shoot on sight?

I agree. Any of the other settlements would just shoot on sight. Megaton could be a hole in the ground. Rivet City could just be another section of the carrier. (They barely used any of it to start with.) As for TenPenny....   Hmm...   :cool:   At least that's all in the DC area. Though... now you've got me thinking about the Mojave. It does seem a tad odd that places like New Vegas don't have jails. I mean, a shot up gambler is bad for business. :s And all the robots are policemen basically. A "come quietly or face retribution" would make more sense. Might even be able to cobble together existing dialog so it really fits in.

Might be worth a look to see how much of that crime system is intact and how much trouble it would be to reinstate it. :D

I don't know if its vanilla or if it was mod added, but I once opened a sewer cap on the Strip and found an NCR jail in the tunnels. Locked up gamblers and everything.

Oh, and if you have Wild Wasteland active the Securitrins can occasionally be heard saying "dead or alive, you're coming with me." That one I know is vanilla, its in the wiki.

I don't know if its vanilla or if it was mod added, but I once opened a sewer cap on the Strip and found an NCR jail in the tunnels. Locked up gamblers and everything.

Oh, and if you have Wild Wasteland active the Securitrins can occasionally be heard saying "dead or alive, you're coming with me." That one I know is vanilla, its in the wiki.

Well there we go then! All we need is a jail and to modify the behavior of the bots.

For the record Bittercup equipped her space suit just fine for me during Zeta...

My initial look at the script didn't turn anything up. I'm going to need to do some more testing to see if I can get her to forget it. FONV can skip script lines though. I could put in a reoccurring check to make sure she's got it on.