If there's only one database over all saves, will there be a way to clear data from deleted saves out of it?

Deletions will happen the same way they do now. When NX gets the DeleteGameName message, it will delete all the data for that save. It's just deleting an entry in a DB with that as the PK rather than deleting a file.

Also, if you are using one character, then stop and reload another, will the NX variable reflect the change  or keep their current value ?

There's no issue here either. NX will function exactly as it does now in that regard. Whenever it gets the gameloaded message, it clears it's internal state, and then copies all the values in the DB corresponding to the loaded game to the live tables, and just that data is used from then on -- until a save, load, or new game.

Zippy I just realized you man mean manually deleted saves? It catches all the savedeletes done in the game, but if you delete them from windows explorer or something, they'll stick around in the database. I can add a function to tell it to delete any data that doesn't have a matching save easily enough.

I don't want it to do that automatically though because if you move all your saves somewhere else, start a new game to test or something, and then move all your old saves back in -- the old NX data will come back with those savegames.

Of course the autosave is not going to be quite right if you do something like that, buy my excuse is... what kind of n00b relies on the autosave?! *ducks*.

Yep, for manual deletion. I can't remember the last time I deleted a save in-game; in fact I've probably never done it. Just as long as there's a way to do it somehow, even if I have to manually run something, since I'm ultra-paranoid in my saving.

I'll second that, I've never deleted a save in-game but frequently delete 20-100 in windows, because overwriting save slots causes a performance drop (I know it sounds like a myth, but personal testing has convinced me. I guess there's some kind of buggy 'optimization' code for it. Even if it is a myth, a lot of people believe it).

Ok, I'll make sure there's an option for you guys.

I've never head of that myth before, and when I play, I routinely save over the top of old saves. Once I have about 5, from them on, I just save over the oldest one. You do know that you can right click a save in the "load" screen and it'll delete, right Odessa? You don't have to get up to 200 saves then delete the old ones manually.

There should be no problem with MO interoperability.

If you have two MO profiles that are managing saves, the first time you run the game with the new NX, it's going to create its database in the save location, and import all the CSVs it finds.

When you quit the game and switch profiles, that process will repeat, since (presumably) the NX database will have been moved away with the saves from the first profile, and will no longer exist from NXs perspective.

It is possible that those data base /  files will be created and drop into the overwrites folder like other files that MO don't understand what to do with. Then it is just a matter of cleaning up the Overwrites folder as you would with any other files that gets dropped into it. That is what I think will more likely happen unless the new system has the db already there then perhaps it will just replace or add to that db instead. In either case it should work with little trouble just how to handle the new system would be the question.

First milestone is done and checked into git. No release yet as all this version does from a user perspective is slow down FONV from starting. Internally it's working and importing all of the CSV files into the new DB.

SQLites c/c++ API is a little derpaderp so before I go too much further I'm going to look at alternatives like firebird and sql CE.

• 1 month later...

Silly question about NX, if I use:

rActor.NX_SetEVFo "SR:rActivatorEffect" MyModsItem

And an asset from my plugin is loaded into it and saved with the game save and then the player deletes the plugin before reloading the save game, there would be a broken asset in the NX storage, does this cause any issues like crashing if just ignored or if another mod was to try read that variable.

It was just something that crossed my mind just then.

If your mod is unloaded then there are two groups of vars that get discarded when NX loads its save:

1. All NX vars stored ON refs in your mod. If rActor came from your mod, everything on it is discarded.

2. All NX ref vars referencing your mod. If rActor is the player (not your mod), but MyModsItem is, then it's discarded.

Any mods that try to read that variable will get back a 0, which is what NX returns for anything that is unused/unset. How those mods behave when they receive the 0 is up to them -- but ideally of course they should be checking IsModLoaded for your mod first. ;)

Alright, I'm probably going to sound dumb, but I recently upgraded all of the essential mods for New Vegas Adult stuff (SCR, SexoutNG, NVSE and this), and now my game will not load up the opening menu. It goes through the initial stuff, gets to the point where the image of the Courier is on screen, then stops doing anything. I have to Control Alt Delete to get out of the game, Alt Tab doesn't even register. I tried running the game without NX, and it works, so why is NX breaking my game?

When the game starts but the menu never appears it usually means you have a corrupted .esp/.esm plugin.

Try disabling all the mods in your load order, and loading with just the base game and DLC. If it works then enable/disable them in batches until you figure out which one it is.

Aight, thanks. I'll try reinstalling everything and see if it works, but it's wierd that my game will play as soon as I uninstall NX. Possibly an error caused by installing NX through the FOMM? Do you still have some none .fomod download links available?

:dodgy: ... LOL.. check the NX page in the spoiler.. you will find what you seek.. :D.. lol.

When the game starts but the menu never appears it usually means you have a corrupted .esp/.esm plugin.

Try disabling all the mods in your load order, and loading with just the base game and DLC. If it works then enable/disable them in batches until you figure out which one it is.

Perhaps the mod that is corrupted is reliant on NVSE extender? Could that be a very possible reason Odessa? That could help minimize the causes.

However I thought it was the NVSE version being too old or too new for the NVSE (specifically sexout based NX extender mods) The reason is  I ran into a problem like that awhile back when trying to use some very old mods :ph34r:  that I really shouldn't be using... ^_^  once I gave it the version needed for those old mods the game started.. however the newer mods...the NX ones ... well didn't work very well afterwards... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question on reseting NX variables is this right to clear all variables with SOP prefix in a mod eg "SOP:Fertility", "SOP:Health" etc?

rActor.NX_ClrEVFl "SOP" 2

rActor.NX_ClrEVFo "SOP" 2

or should I do :

rActor.NX_ClrEVFl "SOP:" 2

rActor.NX_ClrEVFo "SOP:" 2

I'll second that, I've never deleted a save in-game but frequently delete 20-100 in windows, because overwriting save slots causes a performance drop (I know it sounds like a myth, but personal testing has convinced me. I guess there's some kind of buggy 'optimization' code for it. Even if it is a myth, a lot of people believe it).

The only performance drop (and a condierable one at that) I've noticed when overwriting an existing save happened after I started using NX. Now to not place the blame entirely on NX, since I have no idea what I'm usually talking about, that use came with some other Sexout related mods too. However, NX is the only one I can easily see doing something when saving a game. In this case it writes a few dozen lines of code into a file consisting of mods used and Sexout variable states. It might have trouble flushing the old data effectively and has a hickup when it has to write to a pre-existing file. I don't know. If it is NX, it just needs to have an exception for quicksaves to delete the old .csv quickly and make a new one.

On a save (quick or not) NX just deletes any existing CSV and creates a new one. It never tries to 'update' them. If there are a LOT of NX vars set, then that will make it a bit slower. Also a lot of mods are now using the NVSE arrays and such which involves the nvse cosave file (.nvse) which can also contribute to saving being slower than before.

If you're using one of those plugins that does a quicksave and then a quickload, that can definitely cause a slowdown the first time you use it in a session. Loading is a lot slower than saving, because it has to compare the current load order to the one in the save file, and fix up any IDs for mods where the load order has changed.

Well, something mighty peculiar was happening with my saves with NX installed. It started with quicksaves which just overwrites itself each save, so I switched to CASM and had it only use incremental saves and full saves. Eventually though even CASM got stumped and saving of any kind was taking 15 seconds or longer. So I googled up similar occurrences and a few people said Millennias weapons being SO HIGH REZ were contributing to slow saving. Well, the default textures aren't that big and the meshes are pretty much the same as vanilla, and before NX and Sexout I had no issues. Still, I removed the few weapons I had, no change. Got rid of every esp except Sexout, Tryout, SCR and dependencies - saves were still taking a ridiculous amount of time to complete. Which would be fine if the game didn't also freeze during the duration. Which is weird as the only thing NX seems to do with saves is make a copy of some Sexout states and esp's currently loaded. It's possible SCR was the issue but I wouldn't know as it doesn't do an obvious save of data to another file.

I'm now running without Sexout and SCR plus dependencies and saving works normal, the former is a shame as Tryout added some interesting and unexpected dynamics to quests and some of the animations - after replacing them with uh some replacer from someone I forget - were better than stuff made for Skyrim, although unlike Oblivion or Skyrim there don't seem to be stages.

Anyway, here's an outdated modlist in case there was some conflict I wasn't aware of.

FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
CASM with MCM.esp
DarNifiedUINV.esp
KTs_Centercamera_NV.esp
HeadwrapPerception.esp
JIP Companions Command & Control.esp
LFox Bottle That Water.esp
pipboy2500_edisleado.esp
Remington870SO.esp
1911.45ACP.esp
L96.esp
M14.esp
NVEC Reduce CTD.esp
FNX.esp
Road Warrior's Armor.esp
CONELRAD 640-1240.esp
Ranger Hat Plus Perception.esp
RealSmokes.esp
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp

1911, Remington, L96, m14 and FNX are weapons.
The perception mods patch Ranger hats and Headwraps to include an omitted perception bonus.

I don't have a modlist for when I still had SO installed, but it included the above and:

Sexout (beta, tried stable too), SCR (beta, I tried stable too), SmallerTalk, Spectrums Toy Pack, Tryout and NX.

Here's the last nvse_extender_ng.log

NOGORE extender aborting in standard FONV

... and nvse_extender.log

Standard NVSE Extender ready
fallout root = C:\games\Fallout New Vegas - Ultimate Edition\
NVSE Extender settings cleared
Received unknown message 0
Received unknown message 9
Received load message with file path Save 1 Tammie Victor s Shack 10 46 30.fos
START: load settings
END: load settings
Received save message with file path Tammie - 6 - Victor's Shack - 3-14-2015 12 26 20.fos
START: save settings
Saving to: 'C:\games\Fallout New Vegas - Ultimate Edition\Data\NVSE\Plugins\Extender\Saves\Tammie - 6 - Victor's Shack - 3-14-2015 12 26 20.fos.csv'
EVST
EVFO
EVFL
END: save settings
Received delete message with file path 'Tammie - 6 - Victor's Shack - 3-14-2015 12 26 20.fos'
Remove 'C:\games\Fallout New Vegas - Ultimate Edition\Data\NVSE\Plugins\Extender\Saves\Tammie - 6 - Victor's Shack - 3-14-2015 12 26 20.fos.csv'
Savegame C:\games\Fallout New Vegas - Ultimate Edition\Data\NVSE\Plugins\Extender\Saves\Tammie - 6 - Victor's Shack - 3-14-2015 12 26 20.fos.csv deleted
Received delete message with file path 'Save 1 Tammie Victor s Shack 10 46 30.fos'
Remove 'C:\games\Fallout New Vegas - Ultimate Edition\Data\NVSE\Plugins\Extender\Saves\Save 1 Tammie Victor s Shack 10 46 30.fos.csv'
Savegame C:\games\Fallout New Vegas - Ultimate Edition\Data\NVSE\Plugins\Extender\Saves\Save 1 Tammie Victor s Shack 10 46 30.fos.csv deleted
Received exit or newgame message