[Wip] Intimacy Project

t3589

I'm just now realizing this thread even exists. I really need to check for new threads more often...

Right now I'm really struggling with gifts.

Gifts for Females:

- Chocolates

- Teddy Bears

- Perfume

Gifts for Males:

- Power Tools?

- Caulking?

Gifts for Both:

- Pre-War Books

- Magazines?

I'm feeling a bit limited in my options.

I think you might be thinking both a bit too stereotypical and a bit too modern. Consider that something like chocolate, being created from something that doesn't grow in the New Vegas region (if it exists at all anymore), would be a rather rare commodity. Consider also that, while there are some exceptions, most people like chocolate; it isn't a split across gender lines, and in fact most things aren't. It might be best to create a list of general gifts and have a bit of random chance (and the ability to override for specific characters) occur regarding a particular character's preferences.

Another entry for the Nyaallich's "Do It Your Own Damned Self" to-do list.  :lol:

Keep in mind it's still early.  I'm doing core functions first, then I can expand on them later.  It's more important right now that I get working examples in place, than it is to go into too fine details.  It'll happen though.

I've just come to accept that if you want to see a mod get made, sometimes you have to do it yourself.  ;)

@ Jezzy: No plans for a dance macro, no.  You can install idle mods for that.  I may add more varied dances though in the future.  Make sure you solicit new customers after 7pm game time and your regular customers after noon.  Venus is supposed to be ultra powerful.  Also, you don't have to use it as a prostitute.  You can use it to get dates too.

@ zippy:  I think you're onto something there.  It doesn't matter what it is so much, it only matters if they like it or not!  That helps.

Current WIP copy moved to OP.  Comparative working copy plus patch moved to second post.

EDIT: Gifts currently work like this.  I've created a gift wrap item to represent the wrapped gift (the box you put it in).  You'll need one of those and one gift (currently only teddy bears), and the person has to be receptive, then the gift dialogue will show up.  You can also give gifts to get out of confrontations now too.

Question:  One gift wrap item is currently given to you automatically for testing.  They will limit the rate at which you can give gifts (along with the gift itself).  How should these be distributed?  A recipe maybe?  With what ingredients?  Or should they be given out as you advance in levels, or found?

EDIT EDIT: Nvm.  I went ahead and added a workbench recipe.

Teddy bears!  X D

Things:

• Combat:  When in combat with combatants somewhere up the road that I can't see yet (render distance?, but combat music stays on in some capacity), Charon has decided to engage me in talk.  Don't know if it's worth trying to scan the area for more combatants.  Makes more sense in the wastes than in a building.  Although, having sex nearish to people who want to kill you = not the best idea.

• Lockpicking:  I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but Charon's caught me a few times right in between cracking the lock and accessing it.  Aggravating.  X (

• Teleporting for Idles:  If he can't get to wherever he's headed cause he's stuck on something, if I start conversation, he's instantly at an idle spot.  It's weird, but it's not the worst thing in the world.

• Post-Sex:   I've gotten "Activity Continued" dialogue choices after sex.  While a PC's post-sex reaction should probably be included, I don't know that the activity is classified properly.  Perhaps just a similar "Post-Sex Affection/Flirt" option for the player in response to theirs would be good (not limited by daily affection/flirt quota).

• Sound w/ Male Dance Anim:  When they're doing the "muscle man arm flex" anim, I hear a lighter opening sound every time.  This is in the middle of the 38 with only Securitrons around, and I don't think they're lighting up.

• Weapons During Dancing:  Granted, he's got a backpack on, but I don't think that's the cause.  During and after dancing, until the weapon is reset by something (cell change probably worked as would inventory refresh), the gun goes straight up and clips through the head.

That's all I've got for now.

Teddy bears!  X D

Things:

• Combat:  When in combat with combatants somewhere up the road that I can't see yet (render distance?, but combat music stays on in some capacity), Charon has decided to engage me in talk.  Don't know if it's worth trying to scan the area for more combatants.  Makes more sense in the wastes than in a building.  Although, having sex nearish to people who want to kill you = not the best idea.
  • Lockpicking:  I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but Charon's caught me a few times right in between cracking the lock and accessing it.  Aggravating.  X (

I'll try to lock this down as best as I can.  But this does bring me back to our previous discussion.  I'm wondering if you think it would ruin things for you to have relationships occur when 'off-duty' so to speak?  How would it be undesirable for you?  I ask because in the event that locking down companions becomes more trouble than it's worth, or even impossible to some degree, perhaps I could work on making the 'off-duty' state more flexible so that it won't poo poo your play style.

My concern is this:  With companions we're starting to move from simply tracking the NPC relationship, to tracking everything the companion and the player is currently doing (a whole new level and complexity of real-time tracking).  My solution to this originally was our 'separation' discussion.  For now, I'll try to address the issues one at a time.  If it starts to get too convoluted I may need to rethink how companions work entirely.

Teddy bears!  X D

Things:

• Teleporting for Idles:  If he can't get to wherever he's headed cause he's stuck on something, if I start conversation, he's instantly at an idle spot.  It's weird, but it's not the worst thing in the world.

That is weird.  Another one that compounds my concerns above.

Teddy bears!  X D

Things:

• Post-Sex:   I've gotten "Activity Continued" dialogue choices after sex.  While a PC's post-sex reaction should probably be included, I don't know that the activity is classified properly.  Perhaps just a similar "Post-Sex Affection/Flirt" option for the player in response to theirs would be good (not limited by daily affection/flirt quota).

How long do you have your sex duration set for?  What you're experiencing here is just a matter of timing.  The 'afterglow' of sex is considered an activity, and until it wears off, you'll get the activity dialogue.  I set my sex duration to 60 seconds.  The activity timer defaults to 90 seconds.  Which means, the maximum time that the NPC can remain in the activity state after sex for me is 30 seconds.  Play with it or let me know if you would like it to work differently?

Teddy bears!  X D

Things:

• Sound w/ Male Dance Anim:  When they're doing the "muscle man arm flex" anim, I hear a lighter opening sound every time.  This is in the middle of the 38 with only Securitrons around, and I don't think they're lighting up.
  • Weapons During Dancing:  Granted, he's got a backpack on, but I don't think that's the cause.  During and after dancing, until the weapon is reset by something (cell change probably worked as would inventory refresh), the gun goes straight up and clips through the head.

That's all I've got for now.

The sound is part of that animation.  Should I remove it?  As I said it's the only 'true' manly dance animation that isn't even really a dance so I could take it or leave it personally.

I'll add a weapons check for that, but once again, this speaks to my concerns above.  Why was his weapon out?  Aggro?  If he has armed himself, should dancing even be an option in that situation?  Or does he always walk around with his weapon out?  Pardon me if these questions seem silly, I'm just not very experienced with companions.

Thanks much as always.  Keep the feedback coming.  It's great stuff that really fuels the forge.

I think the solution is to have a form list with mapped regions of towns in it to check if the player is in it.  Unless you start shit or ppl in Freeside go hostile, for most places, it's a peaceful environment.  You wouldn't have to bother with interiors really.  While some are traps galore or have people ready to ambush you from deeper within, the majority of buildings will be empty.

HOWEVER, I have no fucking clue how to do that.  WastelandNV's world space has Goodsprings, CampForlornHope, etc., but they do not want to be dragged onto a form list.  It seems like there would have to be some way for this to happen without having an if that's 30 lines long.  Either NX or NVSE 4 added array support, but I haven't done anything with that piece of information besides that.

I only glanced at some NVSE functions, and no location ones jumped out at me.  There's GetParentCell, but I don't know if that would end up doing what needs to be done.

Remember, this all stems from my playhabit of never putting companions into sandbox mode.  : P

Yeah that's too much.  How would you feel about an On-Duty/Off-Duty dialogue toggle for companions?  All it would do is turn off their approaches during On-Duty, not put them in sandbox?

EDIT: Added this.  Completely untested.  Let me know if this helps?

Sweet.  Torini is the Tops hook btw.  Pretty Sarah is the Westside hook (tell her cook cook is dead).

Start Torini talent scout quest, then you can seduce him.  Or complete the quest and you don't have to seduce him.  It helps to have a key to either the high roller suite or the key from benny.  Because you'll still need a private place to seduce him and to take your clients once you become a show girl there.

Pretty Sarah is simply talking to Marco about what happened to Sarah, Kill Cook Cook, return and tell Sarah that cook cook is dead, then you can freelance Westside.

To perform on stage you have to be hired at the establishment, but you don't have to be a prostitute.  At the wrangler you can perform once a day, doesn't matter what you're wearing.  At the Tops your show begins after midnight, you're the closing act after the lonesome drifter.  Again, once a day.  You get paid for performing fyi.

Just find a nice area in the spotlight by the microphone and edge forward until you get the performance options message.  (At the Wrangler it's just to the right side of the mic.  At the Tops you can hit it on either side of the mic, just keep in the spotlight.)

I like the hook for Pretty Sarah, although alternately, you could whore for her at a much smaller percentage, kill Cook Cook, and then get a higher cut.

I thought about that, but for various reasons decided to make it a conquest territory.  The pay scale would need all kinds of special adjustments, or I would need to re-work my entire pay scale to match it.  It doesn't make sense to me that the player should earn more in Westside than anywhere else.  And where are all these caps coming from?  They must be coming from transient traders because they aren't coming from the Westside residents, which would make it arbitrary.  The Casa Madrid as an establishment doesn't offer much in the way of patrons, and transients are implied not actual.

So my head started to hurt trying to make all that stuff make sense so I went with the vanilla 'Sarah is obviously not interested in acquiring more hires, but killing cook cook will make her turn a blind eye to working her territory.'.

Since a few versions now, I've been having problems starting prostitution. Clean save, Goodsprings, virgin, 22 appeal, looks like a prostitute, after 7pm. Get looked at, find my fist customer, take him somewhere, get laid. I get 2 dixon's jets as payment automatically - ie I don't have to talk to him afterwards like I used to but then its like SODLR breaks. Nobody else looks at me, I get no more spam in the console, nada. I can start relationships with people, but prostitution effectively doesn't work anymore because I don't get any more approaches.

OK I did a bunch of testing.  Virgin, whore quest not begun.  Worked the wrangler up to street walker, no problems.  I did tap out the area inside the wrangler once, which means the area has run dry for the moment (ie. everyone has already decided for the time being whether or not they want to solicit you).  Are you walking around close to them?  Or standing in one place?

Have you tried moving on to a new area when everyone stops looking?  Also, good aligned NPCs will always pay their bill.  If the NPC who did that for you without you asking for the money up front is not good, then I would suspect some carry over var from a previous version that isn't getting cleared out.

EDIT:  Also you could try popping a venus if they stop looking and see if that makes them start again.  If it does, then that means the area was tapped.

Confirmed: GoodSprings Settlers added by repop wasteland mod are good aligned, vanilla ones are neutral.  That's why they pay without asking.

Confirmed: Working GoodSprings at low promiscuity + low whore level = area dries up fast (after the first patron).  After the area was tapped, I moved to inside the saloon and got a hit from Ringo, only for him to tell me that it's illegal to prostitute without an NCR license and snub me for the area ending my goodsprings run. lol

Kick ass on the companion toggle working!  Does it help you though?

Yes that is the correct behavior.  There is no tracking on NPCs who aren't capable of intimacy, so their flirts and affections are merely fluff at this point.  It does indicate to the player however that the NPC finds you appealing.  But that's about the extent of the usefulness of it currently.  I like it there so the PC doesn't always know what to expect when being approached.  I'll call them 'false alarms' for now.

It does, although I'd still like to see an easy way to get companions to auto-detect towns (as you probably saw in the help 101 thread).  Partially because it adds a layer of cool by them just knowing that it's flirt time (see, it adds cool just like this -> :cool: ), but mostly because I need/want the functionality for my eventual companion mod. 

It does, although I'd still like to see an easy way to get companions to auto-detect towns (as you probably saw in the help 101 thread).  Partially because it adds a layer of cool by them just knowing that it's flirt time (see, it adds cool just like this -> :cool: ), but mostly because I need/want the functionality for my eventual companion mod. 

I saw the post.  Yes a GetInCell for exteriors would be quite handy.  The problem is that exteriors are often made up of more than one cell.  For example if you wander around the NCRCF yard you'll change cells frequently (GetInsameCell).

Here's the part where I give you the business:  You know?  There's a really simple solution to all of that.  It's called turn off companion follow once in a while. lol  Companion following?  Flirt time is later.  Companion not following?  Flirt time is NAOH. lol

I'm joking of course.  More power to you.

@CK: Did you see my earlier post?  I don't want you to beat your head against the wall in case you missed it because we started jabbering.

@all:

I'm not happy with the drug/booze portion of the payment system.  There are several ways I can expand it, but here's what I'm thinking.  Barter payment is somewhat difficult in that it's hard to get precise numbers and payments often have to be rounded off, which limits the variety in the type of drugs/booze you receive.

What if they only pay you in booze/drugs according to your addiction, and pay in something else if you're not addicted?

Also, I'm thinking of adding a music placeholder for the 'erotic dance' stage performance, so that you can drop in your own music file for the erotic dance.  What should the play length be? ie. How long of a song should the sequence allow for?

Any thoughts?

You could try detecting towns by sticking an XMarker in the center (or finding a persistent ref already present in the town) and running a GetDistance check on it and the Player. You'd have to implement a separate check for each town, though.

That might work for what nyaallich is working on, but it seems like a shotgun to kill flies approach for what I'm trying to achieve.  Knowing where a companion is, is a very limited way to determine whether or not they should engage in the relationship.

The main reason being that what goes on at a location can change depending upon what mods you have installed.  So then you're not only tracking the location of the companion, but what mods you have loaded that may change the OK status of that location as well.

The OK status needs to be read from the companions 'current obligations' for lack of a better term , imo.  As that's the place it makes the most sense.  Otherwise you're really just trying to track location as a means to track what's going on in that location as a means to track whether or not it's OK to engage in the relationship.

Seems like a long route to me.

Archived