Jump to content

[WIP] Skykids - Child races & other technical goodies - No more armor patcher! New CotS R2 Race!(6/22/15)


Recommended Posts

Posted

BOSS is for sorting load order, it's not a mod manager. However, given the weird way in which MO works, I'm not sure they will play entirely nicely together. I mean MO has the option to run BOSS from inside MO and that would work, but you need to run the armor patcher outside MO which will call BOSS as well. I don't know how well those two operations will work.

 

And BOSS works fine with NMM. It's this mod, SK, that is not NMM friendly due to pathing. I think MO handles that better but I've no first hand experience with it.

 

Any idea how I would go about doing this?  I've loaded BOSS into MO, but of course it's saying there's no valid game data there.  Also, no idea how to add in the user list entries.

Posted

The only reason it is not NMM "compatible" is because of the pathing in the archives. Download them, fix the pathing (mostly by removing what you don't want) and make new archives and then add them to NMM.

 

Just needs to start with or at \data\.

 

So, "Skykids base" should work fine, as will armorpack and the vanilla child replacer. The drow addon will work but the Monli will not (you need to go into the subfolders and then rearchive from there).

 

For instance, \[addon] monli race.rar\monli addon\. If you go to the \monli addon\ folder and make a new archive from there down so that \meshes and \scripts and \textures are at the top level, it would then be NMM compatible as well.

 

Like I said, I think MO handles that better than NMM which can really only figure out what's going on if your mod includes \data\ or implies it (e.g. if you have \data\scripts in your mod that's ok, and if you have \scripts\ that's ok because it assumes \data\ in front but anything else confuses it).

 

Maybe some day I'll see if I can write a BAIN install for it or something lol.

 

Edit: And User13 I really can't help much with MO. It works in a fairly unique way that's going to cause havoc with anything trying to read the mods directory which both BOSS and the armor patcher are going to do. As for the user lists I recommend BUM, it makes that part easier. I still don't know how you'd make that all work with MO.

Posted

 

BOSS is for sorting load order, it's not a mod manager. However, given the weird way in which MO works, I'm not sure they will play entirely nicely together. I mean MO has the option to run BOSS from inside MO and that would work, but you need to run the armor patcher outside MO which will call BOSS as well. I don't know how well those two operations will work.

 

And BOSS works fine with NMM. It's this mod, SK, that is not NMM friendly due to pathing. I think MO handles that better but I've no first hand experience with it.

 

Any idea how I would go about doing this?  I've loaded BOSS into MO, but of course it's saying there's no valid game data there.  Also, no idea how to add in the user list entries.

 

 

SkyProc Patcher (Skykids Armor patcher is a SkyProc) Directions for MO:

1) In MO, in the Data tab, find the "SkyProc Patchers" folder in the file tree

2) Open that

3) Open the SKArmorPatcher folder

4) Right click 'SKArmorPatcher.jar'

5) Click 'Add as Executable'

6) Run the patcher from MO launcher list.

The first time running the patcher, it will try to find BOSS's executable.  If you installed BOSS in its default location it will find it automatically; if not, you'll need to tell it where (not the GUI.exe). BOSS will then run automatically and receive the data from MO's virtual directory, and then sort MO's load order, everytime you run the patcher.

7) Wait for BOSS to finish running

8) Wait for both Java windows to close.

 

If you've installed BOSS into its default location, MO will automatically add it to the launcher list.

BUM you'll need to add through the executable manager (the Gear icon).

 

If you don't want to use BOSS (i.e. you're a load order ninja with badass modding skills), you can use Skyproc Unified Manager instead.  But be warned, you get zero, zip, nada, niet in the way of load-order support from people here if you don't use BOSS.

 

 

@JerWA

Its not worth writing a BAIN or FOMOD until much later. The structure of the file system will likely change when moving from beta to RC, and modules keep getting added, so stuffing everything into an All-in-One installer would be a PITA to update.

Posted

Time for some newb questions.  1: If I'm only after the vanilla replacer and don't need the races or followers, can any of the installation steps be skipped?  (For example, Race Compatibility.)  2: With Babette and perhaps other children not currently implemented, what would be a good suggestion as a means of modifying their faces to be adequately tolerable?  (For example, somehow making use of TK Children for whichever kids aren't yet covered by SkyKids.)

 

Posted

Rez,

 

It's good practice as I'm going to be the one having to do it anyways. I've actually got it setup with a really really basic wizard now, just need to fine tune some things and flesh it out haha.

 

Fredas,

 

Right now the replacer is not isolated from the rest of SK. You will need the core mod and the armor patcher as well as the vanilla kid replacer, so you will need the requirements for those mods too. You can't skip anything that says it's required, it's required because it's mastered to something. Not having it in your load order will cause you to crash to desktop.

 

Any child replacer mod. Their load order will determine who "wins," so you can put whatever else you want first (like TK or Xvision) and as long as the SK replacer goes after that you will get updates from TK or Xvision or whatever to NPCs and they will be replaced by the NPCs covered in SK. SK is very self contained, it won't conflict with almost anything else so it's mostly what those other mods are doing you need to keep in mind.

Posted

SK is very self contained, it won't conflict with almost anything else so it's mostly what those other mods are doing you need to keep in mind.

 

That was really my main concern when asking the question.  The possibility of conflicts.  I've had it mentioned to me that the, ah, not insignificant installation procedure caused at least one person's BOSS to cease functioning properly, so it behooved me to delve into this and seek some assurances about using the mod. ;p  Make no mistake, I really like the faces in the screenshots (some even look a bit like those idealized Poet faces) and I feel that more than justifies giving it a shot.

Posted

 

SkyProc Patcher (Skykids Armor patcher is a SkyProc) Directions for MO:

1) In MO, in the Data tab, find the "SkyProc Patchers" folder in the file tree  CHECK

2) Open that   CHECK

3) Open the SKArmorPatcher folder  CHECK

4) Right click 'SKArmorPatcher.jar'     CHECK

5) Click 'Add as Executable'                 CHECK

6) Run the patcher from MO launcher list.   NO IDEA HOW TO DO THIS :P

The first time running the patcher, it will try to find BOSS's executable.  If you installed BOSS in its default location it will find it automatically; if not, you'll need to tell it where (not the GUI.exe). BOSS will then run automatically and receive the data from MO's virtual directory, and then sort MO's load order, everytime you run the patcher.

7) Wait for BOSS to finish running

8) Wait for both Java windows to close.

 

If you've installed BOSS into its default location, MO will automatically add it to the launcher list.

BUM you'll need to add through the executable manager (the Gear icon).

 

 

Ok, how do I run the patcher from the MO launcher list?  As for where BOSS is installed, I just did a manual download and then loaded it from the rar file straight into MO.  Thanks very much for getting me this far.  If you can just nudge me over the line I'll be very grateful.

 

Posted

 

 

SkyProc Patcher (Skykids Armor patcher is a SkyProc) Directions for MO:

1) In MO, in the Data tab, find the "SkyProc Patchers" folder in the file tree  CHECK

2) Open that   CHECK

3) Open the SKArmorPatcher folder  CHECK

4) Right click 'SKArmorPatcher.jar'     CHECK

5) Click 'Add as Executable'                 CHECK

6) Run the patcher from MO launcher list.   NO IDEA HOW TO DO THIS :P

The first time running the patcher, it will try to find BOSS's executable.  If you installed BOSS in its default location it will find it automatically; if not, you'll need to tell it where (not the GUI.exe). BOSS will then run automatically and receive the data from MO's virtual directory, and then sort MO's load order, everytime you run the patcher.

7) Wait for BOSS to finish running

8) Wait for both Java windows to close.

 

If you've installed BOSS into its default location, MO will automatically add it to the launcher list.

BUM you'll need to add through the executable manager (the Gear icon).

 

 

Ok, how do I run the patcher from the MO launcher list?  As for where BOSS is installed, I just did a manual download and then loaded it from the rar file straight into MO.  Thanks very much for getting me this far.  If you can just nudge me over the line I'll be very grateful.

 

 

 

Drop down menu on the upper right. Press <Edit>, find the executable you want to run from in there or paste the path, click Add, then OK.  Then you can run whatever it is through MO, that drop-down menu on the upper right is the launcher list and that's more or less how you add stuff to run through MO.

Posted

Ok, how do I run the patcher from the MO launcher list?  As for where BOSS is installed, I just did a manual download and then loaded it from the rar file straight into MO.  Thanks very much for getting me this far.  If you can just nudge me over the line I'll be very grateful.

 

The MO launcher list is the drop-down menu to the left of the giant 'RUN' button.

You might want to give the MO User Guide/Wiki a once-over to familiarize yourself with MO.

Posted

Well, I got the SKarmor patcher showing in the run dropdown.  I followed the path to where BOSS is located (in the Skyrim folder, under MO, and then mods), but it didn't work.  Something went wrong.  Now when I try to run the armor patcher it says BOSS failed to load, do you want to continue.  If no, it just closes.  If yes, it then says:

 

skyproc.exceptions.MissingMaster:

SK Monli Race.esm has some missing masters:

 - skykids.esm

 

Please activate and try again

Posted

@User13: Make sure you have Skykids.esm active? Outside of that, I'd have to defer to the other MO users in the thread...

 

@Kyods: Awesome work man!

Posted

@Kyods: Aside from the missing arms creeping me out a little that's great work. :D

 

Edit:

@User13: You need to run the armor patcher from within MO like the previous instructions said. MO doesn't have a normal data directory to present, so outside of MO the patcher won't work (same for BOSS). If you can run BOSS from within MO and get it to sort properly you can tell the patcher to not sort, but it's still got to be run from within MO so it can see the data directory MO is creating.

Posted

Thanks, guys. JerWA - lol, not my fault. Every time I call showracemenu my character snaps into the 'bound' pose with his/her arms behind their back.

Posted

 I installed the NPC child conversion package; everything seems to be okay except

for some children in Solitude who don't have clothes. Minette and Ysolda? Last one could be wrong.

The kids in other locations are clothed from what I've seen so far; haven't gotten to Markarth yet.

 

Posted

I installed the NPC child conversion package; everything seems to be okay except

for some children in Solitude who don't have clothes. Minette and Ysolda? Last one could be wrong.

The kids in other locations are clothed from what I've seen so far; haven't gotten to Markarth yet.

This happens when you load the patch into an existing game where you've already loaded that NPC; open the console, select them, and type 'resurrect'.

 

Alright, I've got a beta update to the vanilla child replacer. I added in kyods' DLC kids, and along the way found a package of male faces(all of them) someone submitted late last year that had been laying around collecting dust so I got those in too. So right now this should update every single vanilla+dlc child except babette(as I still haven't decided what to do with her). I also merged in JerWA's update posted above. Give this thing a whirl and let me know how it handles.

 

The archive now has 3 subfolders in it; one for skyrim, one for hearthfire, and one for dragonborn. Obviously you only want to install the packages for content that you actually have. There are also new userilist entries for the two new files:

<removed>
File removed, included in OP.
Posted

Well, I'm not getting much feedback on the designs I've made,  I imagine they're not wanted?

 

I'll be installing the new replacers and report back if I find anything amiss. 

 

Sorry, but I don't like yor boys. They're not beatiful. Rez Delnava made Aretino better.

 

Posted

 

Well, I'm not getting much feedback on the designs I've made,  I imagine they're not wanted?

 

I'll be installing the new replacers and report back if I find anything amiss. 

 

Sorry, but I don't like yor boys. They're not beatiful. Rez Delnava made Aretino better.

 

 

 

Rez does make great work, but um, I never even tried making Aretino. I've tried my hand at Francois, Samuel, Hroar, Blaise, Joric, Skuli and Alesan...but thanks for the feedback, I guess.  

 

en_hawk - I installed the latest files, they seem to be working fine. I noticed Dagny has a new outfit, it looks great on her. I saw the orphanage boys and Runa. She looks good, but the boys are a bit too similar and their skin all seems to be tan, the same as the boys at Dragonsreach. 

 

Also,  will there be a differing height scare for the kids  future updates? Something to reflect different stature and ages because while they're all not teens, they can't also all be the same age, I think.

Posted

@SolidSnakeFH: The boys really haven't yet been gone through. I imagine a lot of the submissions in this thread will be put in to replace them, so don't think we're just dismissing everyones work. These were literally already done and it gives us a starting point so people don't have to put up with a weird mix of converted and not converted kids.

 

As with all the NPCs much customization and fine tuning remains to be done. Height is easily enough altered and might be depending on back story and such. Skin tone is something that was proving to be quite a pain in the ass and I ended up having to manually set tone several steps lighter than the girls to get anything even remotely similar. That's something that's easier to update than their facial features oddly enough, so don't think any of it is set in stone.

 

Again, just to clarify, nothing is final. It's a beta after all. Keep working on and submitting the stuff you like better and we'll go from there. I'll go back through them tonight and give feedback where I can. Maybe if we get 2 o 3 of the same NPC we can have a vote haha.

Posted

@SolidSnakeFH: The boys really haven't yet been gone through. I imagine a lot of the submissions in this thread will be put in to replace them, so don't think we're just dismissing everyones work. These were literally already done and it gives us a starting point so people don't have to put up with a weird mix of converted and not converted kids.

 

As with all the NPCs much customization and fine tuning remains to be done. Height is easily enough altered and might be depending on back story and such. Skin tone is something that was proving to be quite a pain in the ass and I ended up having to manually set tone several steps lighter than the girls to get anything even remotely similar. That's something that's easier to update than their facial features oddly enough, so don't think any of it is set in stone.

 

Again, just to clarify, nothing is final. It's a beta after all. Keep working on and submitting the stuff you like better and we'll go from there. I'll go back through them tonight and give feedback where I can. Maybe if we get 2 o 3 of the same NPC we can have a vote haha.

 

@JerWA - Thanks for being so clear and articulate about everything. You're awesome.

 

I imagined that since everything was still in beta, that the latest update was just to balance things out. Still, I'm reporting what it all looks like to me occasionally so that the team can hear what the end user is seeing and make sure it's matching up. (I'm withholding all criticism of anything until Skykids reaches it's final product.)

 

If I make any comments about what I'm experiencing it's just to reflect that.

 

I'll keep working on the boys I've made and ironing them out . A vote at the end sounds fun.   

Posted

Edit:

@User13: You need to run the armor patcher from within MO like the previous instructions said. MO doesn't have a normal data directory to present, so outside of MO the patcher won't work (same for BOSS). If you can run BOSS from within MO and get it to sort properly you can tell the patcher to not sort, but it's still got to be run from within MO so it can see the data directory MO is creating.

I can run the patcher from within MO, except for the error message I received about the skykids.esm needing to be activated.  I can also go directly to where BOSS is inside the MO folder in explorer and activate from there.  I have the list of overrides from the first page of this thread, but I don't know how or where to enter those.  Is it the User List under the Skyrim folder inside BOSS folder?  That's blank right now. (edit, tried pasting them in there, but patcher still says BOSS isn't running and still wants the skykids.esm activated).

 

@User13: Make sure you have Skykids.esm active? Outside of that, I'd have to defer to the other MO users in the thread...

Ok, unfortunately I have no idea how to do that.  I can see it on the list under Plugins.  It's also listed under Data tab.  I assume it's active, but I don't know how to tell for sure.

Posted

 

Edit:

@User13: You need to run the armor patcher from within MO like the previous instructions said. MO doesn't have a normal data directory to present, so outside of MO the patcher won't work (same for BOSS). If you can run BOSS from within MO and get it to sort properly you can tell the patcher to not sort, but it's still got to be run from within MO so it can see the data directory MO is creating.

I can run the patcher from within MO, except for the error message I received about the skykids.esm needing to be activated.  I can also go directly to where BOSS is inside the MO folder in explorer and activate from there.  I have the list of overrides from the first page of this thread, but I don't know how or where to enter those.  Is it the User List under the Skyrim folder inside BOSS folder?  That's blank right now. (edit, tried pasting them in there, but patcher still says BOSS isn't running and still wants the skykids.esm activated).

 

@User13: Make sure you have Skykids.esm active? Outside of that, I'd have to defer to the other MO users in the thread...

Ok, unfortunately I have no idea how to do that.  I can see it on the list under Plugins.  It's also listed under Data tab.  I assume it's active, but I don't know how to tell for sure.

 

 

If it's on the right side list and has a tick next to it, it's activated. If not, find the mod in the mod list and activate it there first, then it should appear on the right side.  Also, BOSS can be run from the MO launcher.  Launching it outside MO will make it not see the mods you have so it can't tweak the load order you want.  There's an MO topic on LL as well as MO topics in the STEP forum, but yeah, it can't get easier than <Edit>->find the BOSS executable-> Add->Ok.

Posted

 

If it's on the right side list and has a tick next to it, it's activated. If not, find the mod in the mod list and activate it there first, then it should appear on the right side.  Also, BOSS can be run from the MO launcher.  Launching it outside MO will make it not see the mods you have so it can't tweak the load order you want.  There's an MO topic on LL as well as MO topics in the STEP forum, but yeah, it can't get easier than <Edit>->find the BOSS executable-> Add->Ok.

 

 

Ok, in MO I went to the gear icon, added BOSS, pointed the Binary line to the BOSS executable.  Then I went to the load and run dropdown on the right, chose BOSS and hit Run.  That opens up a small BOSS window.  I assume (always an iffy proposition) that the BOSS user list entries provided on the first post of this thread are to be copied using Edit and then User Rules, or the Edit User Rules button on the front.  However, when I do that I get an error msg saying "Error: The window "User Rules Manager" failed to initialize.  "".\\..\Data" cannot be found.

 

I'm sorry to be such a pain in the ass, but I'm just an unfrozen caveman lawyer, and your technology is beyond me.  It's like when I saw that solar eclipse when I was vacationing in Hawaii.  I think 'Oh no! Is the moon eating the sun?' I don't know. Because I'm a caveman -- that's the way I think.

Posted

 

 

If it's on the right side list and has a tick next to it, it's activated. If not, find the mod in the mod list and activate it there first, then it should appear on the right side.  Also, BOSS can be run from the MO launcher.  Launching it outside MO will make it not see the mods you have so it can't tweak the load order you want.  There's an MO topic on LL as well as MO topics in the STEP forum, but yeah, it can't get easier than <Edit>->find the BOSS executable-> Add->Ok.

 

 

Ok, in MO I went to the gear icon, added BOSS, pointed the Binary line to the BOSS executable.  Then I went to the load and run dropdown on the right, chose BOSS and hit Run.  That opens up a small BOSS window.  I assume (always an iffy proposition) that the BOSS user list entries provided on the first post of this thread are to be copied using Edit and then User Rules, or the Edit User Rules button on the front.  However, when I do that I get an error msg saying "Error: The window "User Rules Manager" failed to initialize.  "".\\..\Data" cannot be found.

 

I'm sorry to be such a pain in the ass, but I'm just an unfrozen caveman lawyer, and your technology is beyond me.  It's like when I saw that solar eclipse when I was vacationing in Hawaii.  I think 'Oh no! Is the moon eating the sun?' I don't know. Because I'm a caveman -- that's the way I think.

 

 

Did you have it run BOSS GUI or BOSS?  I don't want to run it cause I'd rather keep my load order intact, but I run BOSS GUI, normally a small windows appears, you tell it to run something, then it should open a browser window and tell you the results.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...