Do the mods here have viruses?

Hey all, so I’m a bit of a paranoid person and just want to be safe in what I do here, but it feels like whenever I download mods from this guide: 

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/139374-aaf-the-fucking-manual-~-adult-oriented-setup-guide-12thoctober2023/

it feels like I get a virus/spyware.

i follow the guide, do what it says, download every mod, but I always come to the conclusion that I downloaded a virus? Do the mods here carry viruses?

Any help is appreciated, 

Thank you! 

30 minutes ago, Lawn Chair said:

Hey all, so I’m a bit of a paranoid person and just want to be safe in what I do here, but it feels like whenever I download mods from this guide: 

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/139374-aaf-the-fucking-manual-~-adult-oriented-setup-guide-12thoctober2023/

it feels like I get a virus/spyware.

i follow the guide, do what it says, download every mod, but I always come to the conclusion that I downloaded a virus? Do the mods here carry viruses?

Any help is appreciated, 

Thank you! 

Seconding the above opinion, mods posted here and nexusmods have been 100% safe for me. If you want to make sure, you can always submit the mod to virustotal.

Mods that only contain .esp/psc/pex files are always going to be safe, as those mods don't have anything that can really interact with things outside of the game, same with model and texture mods. F4SE/SKSE Plugins are where malware can be hidden, but as long as you only download from loverslab or nexusmods they will be safe for use. If you're worried about it, don't download F4SE/SKSE plugins.

3 hours ago, Pamatronic said:

I sure as hell have thrown far worse things than sneezes at my pc while working on mods.

Those tantrums. So contagious, so deadly.

I've been modding many different games for years and years, downloading hundreds of mods for each, and never even had a virus warning. Viruses in mods is mostly pure myth. Mod authors and the sites that host them wouldn't last long if people were getting viruses by downloading them. I'm not saying it's "impossible" but highly unlikely.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 1:54 PM, Sandatharius said:

I've been modding many different games for years and years, downloading hundreds of mods for each, and never even had a virus warning. Viruses in mods is mostly pure myth. Mod authors and the sites that host them wouldn't last long if people were getting viruses by downloading them. I'm not saying it's "impossible" but highly unlikely.

If there was something malicious it would get like 1-2 people who would immediately come back (from a different device probably) and post in all caps "DON'T DOWNLOAD".

Which would catch the attention of some high authority and then the mod would just be deleted.

Edited by FucksSakeFacebook
two too many
  • 2 months later...

I've noticed a recent uptick on suspicious/malicious mods. Some claim to have an "installer" with a suspect .exe. I didn't fall for that. However, one Sims 4 mod got me recently. The "[Sims 4] Sex Cult Mod" (now removed from LL) managed to open a cmd.exe window and run a batch file which downloaded the payload from discord file storage to my computer and added it to my autoruns. I caught it pretty quickly, but lord knows what it did. Since Sims 4 uses python scripts, I presume they figured out how to do some sort of python magic to get the batch file to run. 

I posted about my experience here (ugh, and of course I misspelled the title): 

I have the best anti-virus software available for my system and haven't had any issues with viruses being detected. I've downloaded tons of mods on here, so I can personally assure you that you should be fine. 👍

Edited by CrowOfItachi

lavatube, personally, I don't really like your action. If you are absolutely sure that a particular plugin contains a malicious file, you can report it through the reporting system. It is advisable that the report contain some evidence, for example a screenshot with a report from the antivirus you are using that detected this malicious file. This action will be much more effective than creating any articles on third-party resources.

Spoiler

Hype (in any of its forms) is not the best way to make the world a better and cleaner place.

Edited by 00549303719

Coming from one that is paranoid to the point of damaging my own personal 'quality of life':

This site is safe.

Nexus is safe from malware, but not safe for 'Freedom of Speech'.

Not once have I gotten a piece of malware from either site.

Edited by Wandering_Mania
It's too early, and I can't type.
4 hours ago, 00549303719 said:

lavatube, personally, I don't really like your action. If you are absolutely sure that a particular plugin contains a malicious file, you can report it through the reporting system. It is advisable that the report contain some evidence, for example a screenshot with a report from the antivirus you are using that detected this malicious file. This action will be much more effective than creating any articles on third-party resources.

Reveal hidden contents

Hype (in any of its forms) is not the best way to make the world a better and cleaner place.

I will speak for the effectiveness of hitting the report button.  

I've noticed three of these files come along recently that, just on the face of them, seemed like a blatant rip-off of someone else's mod.  All three contained an installer.exe file.  I reported all three of them to moderators, and whether it was my reports, or the moderators were already on the lookout, all three mods were quickly removed from the site.

I've seen people try to post malware to Nexus too, so no site is 100% immune.  Thankfully we have moderators here who are responsive to this issue.

Of course, this topic turns into a good reason for communication... but no amount of insurance will ever save your life from the fall of a flying past elephant.

Spoiler

I am very careful, but nevertheless, half a year ago I caught a miner virus that almost no anti-virus program could cope with. As far as I know, even killing this process and deleting it, it still left a lot of traces, writing extra lines into the program codes of everything that was interesting to it. It is almost impossible to clean up and track all the changes made. Therefore, the strength of any virus always depends on the perversity of the mind of the person who created it, and of course there is no 100% guarantee of protection from this anywhere. Hackers even break through the defenses of the Pentagon and it’s not even worth talking about the Nexus. Like many people here, they have spyware viruses on their equipment that they don't even know about.

But any fear can develop into schizophrenia and let’s not forget about it. We can also discuss cyber attacks and their harms, but we probably shouldn't make it a place of debate. 🙂