Should I buy Starfield?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Should I buy Starfield?

• Yes, and the Premium upgrade, too, for the DLC
    • Yes, the Standard edition should be sufficient
    • No, played it and refunded it

This poll is closed to new votes

Heyho,

as it may happen, I don't really have the time to play Starfield right at the release, so I didn't buy it yet.

So, I'd like to ask you folks: would you even recommend to buy it? Yes, I know, there are maaany reviews and they all tell about how the game is "Oh so great and back to the roots"...

What I'd like to hear are thoughts of actual players, no reporters or journalists, as you guys probably have a different view and other points of interest.

So, would you recommend it? Which version? And why / why not?

Buy the big dumb stupid version to support the devs.*

but M$ stoled my dog and fucked my wife and windows 11 bla bla bla

No one cares. Including you actually.

Don't bother installing the game until there's a set of concrete and stable mods you actually give a shit about. For the first two years the game is going to run like ass and break every other loading screen.

After that's all done and over with there will be both frameworks and mod content worth playing with and for. Just peruse the mods, remember to track, keep backups on an external drive and ignore social media. You'll probably be waiting literal years, and "the vanilla purity" experience is also literal fetishized horseshit. People aren't playing vanilla Skyrim right now and haven't in a decade.

*If you have any piece of hardware older than three years including monitor, this game is going to run like trash and no amount of upscaling, blur-ovision, rescaling, fuckaling and or any other -ling will make it not run like ass. If you haven't figured this out by now about Beth games, you should probably never buy a beth game or ever post on a beth forum because whatever magical olden days you thought would last forever in your mind palace are complete horseshit. That bethesda literally stopped existing after Redguard and it's never coming back. Oblivion is also eighteen years old, your beloved waifu has been in the grave for almost a quarter of a century and she's not coming back to fulfill your fantasies.

The game is actually good. It’s not BG3, ofc, but side quests are actually huge, the graphics are nice, scale and possibilities are impressive.

What I mostly hate about it is lack of actual ‘strong language’. It seems that in the future even pirates are way too polite and intellectual to say ‘fuck’ or ‘motherfucker’. The hardest word I heard was ‘shit’. That’s a bit immersion breaking for me. And every NPC is either outright friendly or passive-aggressive.

Oh, and there’s no even remotely revealing clothes. Big ‘L’ if you ask me.

20230902214642_1.thumb.jpg.c40badf57773f9fcd8e01484171f8c36.jpg

That's what Bethesda thinks Go-Go dancers supposed to look like ?

Edited by paparebbe

Wait till it drops to about $30 or they are doing 70-80% off and then buy the premium edition, as it they do like they normally do, there is probably going to be two or three DLC's for it, and the premium edition should cover all of them, that way you will not get the stupid situation of finding that it is cheaper to buy the collectors/premium edition again rather than buy the various DLC's, which I have had happen for a few of the games I own.

It looks like it could be good but good may not be enough in a year of great game releases (even if said releases are not remotely the same kind of game).

On the upside, since Starfield is already out, the crew at BGS can build upon it to play to its strengths while minimizing the shortcomings that are all too obvious at this point. Starfield 2 could be something really special. Stranger things have happened.

If one is in good health and lives in a fairly stable region of the globe, one may as well wait until a sales event sometime into the future.

Vor 6 Minuten sagte Bjornk:

Nun, gibt es nicht eine „Orbitbox“, in der Raumschiffe kämpfen? ?

a "box" - in which you can play "Space Pirates of the Caribbean" ... but obviously that's what the buyers are interested in.

We do have artificial gravity and a gravitational drive ... but we fight like in the film "Top Gun" as a "dogfight" with on-board guns (like the "Red Baron" in WW1).

what's new or great about that ... this crap has been around since "Wing Commander".

4 hours ago, MadMansGun said:

i've watched many live streams and i personally think fuck no

Despite his prickly curmudgeonly demeanor, perhaps Mack's greatest failing is that he is an optimist at heart. Had he managed his expectations, he might have gone into it much as Luke Stephens did, sheltered by several dense layers of skepticism from the barbs of disappointment puncturing over-inflated expectations.

The real question, and honestly...I wish the moderators would weigh in on this already:

How many more "should you buy?" "what's your reaction to?" "Starfield is X" "Starfield is Y" threads do we actually fucking need?

How many?

The Starfield section of Loverslab has essentially devolved into this:

image.png.e6294aba2260a9a47f15a2dccfc2c6f5.png

...and it's honestly pointless. We seriously don't need elevendy billion threads about how people feel about the game. We get it.

It's not often I ask for this, but  @CPU... could you honestly and fairly take a look at all of these threads, and maybe...trim it down? Do we really need a new thread every day about how good/bad Starfield is?

It's either that, or Imma wind up dumping whole swaths of the LL population into my mute list, and I'd like to avoid that if possible.

I was waiting for modding tools but now I keep seeing clips that are pure cringe.  Cue the cheesy music "I should have said this earlier but I'm a man.. and a clone, baby". Shouldn't that be normal? or are we stuck in current world politics in the future too. It's boring and dull.  I like dystopia worlds like cyberpunk or bladerunner, feels about right on how things are going. Care bear world of Starfield looks unimaginative.

Some folks are so upset but I don't care. Just don't buy the game, it's easy. 

2 hours ago, WandererZero said:

The real question, and honestly...I wish the moderators would weigh in on this already:

How many more "should you buy?" "what's your reaction to?" "Starfield is X" "Starfield is Y" threads do we actually fucking need?

How many?

The Starfield section of Loverslab has essentially devolved into this:

image.png.e6294aba2260a9a47f15a2dccfc2c6f5.png

...and it's honestly pointless. We seriously don't need elevendy billion threads about how people feel about the game. We get it.

It's not often I ask for this, but  @CPU... could you honestly and fairly take a look at all of these threads, and maybe...trim it down? Do we really need a new thread every day about how good/bad Starfield is?

It's either that, or Imma wind up dumping whole swaths of the LL population into my mute list, and I'd like to avoid that if possible.

I will do some cleanup tomorrow.

I'm on the fence as well regarding this game. I'm watching a streamer play it on YT and, well, it looks... boring. It's different playing it of course but it seems to lack substance. The graphics are nice and facial animations are good but eh. I'll wait for a sale. By that time the modders will have improved the gameplay. There's already a nude mod heh. 

I'm holding off on buying it for now. Need to see more of the quests and less walking around in the desert before making a final decision. I fell for "mods will fix it" with bannerlord and that was over 3 years ago. Not making that mistake again. I'll buy it when I see something worth the price.

Worth a disclaimer that I'm incredibly picky about games, and almost exclusively buy games that I think can deliver unlimited content. If you're the sort of person who buys $60 $70 games for a few dozen hours of content, you might get your money's worth out of starfield.