The difference between Skyrim SE and LE?

Hello everyone,

I have a question and I hope you guys will answer without bashing me too much. As I haven't played skyrim for years and years, and only recently started playing again. I am trying to figure out how to play the legendary version of Skyrim so I can use the old MODs which are in astronomical abundance. There just seems to be so much more content and options. I have been looking for a way to downgrade from Skyrim Special Edition to the Skyrim Legendary Edition version. But all I keep finding is how to revert back from Skyrim Anniversary Edition to Skyrim Special Edition. So my question is this, what are the two types of Skyrim Mods that Loverslab site has on it? One type is always Skyrim SE and the other is Skyrim LE. Even on Nexus MODs they have lighter blue colored MODs that says Skyrim Special Edition. But what is the darker turquoise looking version that just says Skyrim? Is that for the old Legendary version I'm looking for? And if so, how and where do I find that Skyrim version to download and play via PC? So I can start downloading all of those MODs? Or am I completely in the wrong space and time and there is no longer a Legendary version? And that is just for people who either always had or still have the Legendary version from prior and haven't upgraded? Or is it actually Special Edition that they're referencing? I'm very confused about it all. As I said, I haven't played in a while and only recently started playing again. I would like to play the older version whatever that may be. That supports the Legendary Edition MODs and the Nexus regular Skyrim MODs. I just don't know where to go or how to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And I ESPECIALLY want to thank ALL the awesome creators that brought me back to Skyrim! Thank you so much for your awesome content and work! I am so excited to start downloading MODs and playing the older version again! Thanks whomever responds in advance!

Wardawg3187

10 hours ago, wardawg3187 said:

Hello everyone,

I have a question and I hope you guys will answer without bashing me too much. As I haven't played skyrim for years and years, and only recently started playing again. I am trying to figure out how to play the legendary version of Skyrim so I can use the old MODs which are in astronomical abundance. There just seems to be so much more content and options. I have been looking for a way to downgrade from Skyrim Special Edition to the Skyrim Legendary Edition version. But all I keep finding is how to revert back from Skyrim Anniversary Edition to Skyrim Special Edition. So my question is this, what are the two types of Skyrim Mods that Loverslab site has on it? One type is always Skyrim SE and the other is Skyrim LE. Even on Nexus MODs they have lighter blue colored MODs that says Skyrim Special Edition. But what is the darker turquoise looking version that just says Skyrim? Is that for the old Legendary version I'm looking for? And if so, how and where do I find that Skyrim version to download and play via PC? So I can start downloading all of those MODs? Or am I completely in the wrong space and time and there is no longer a Legendary version? And that is just for people who either always had or still have the Legendary version from prior and haven't upgraded? Or is it actually Special Edition that they're referencing? I'm very confused about it all. As I said, I haven't played in a while and only recently started playing again. I would like to play the older version whatever that may be. That supports the Legendary Edition MODs and the Nexus regular Skyrim MODs. I just don't know where to go or how to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And I ESPECIALLY want to thank ALL the awesome creators that brought me back to Skyrim! Thank you so much for your awesome content and work! I am so excited to start downloading MODs and playing the older version again! Thanks whomever responds in advance!

Wardawg3187

Skyrim LE is the "original" Skyrim game. It is also 32 bit. While Skyrim SE (and AE and even VR) are 64 bit games. This is the reason that mods are not easily converted between the games (although it has become easier over time). 

On LL it is generally true that any mod NOT designated as being for SE is for LE. However, on the file page, in the information on the right side of the page, it will indicate if a mod is compatible with the other version(s). 

Good luck and happy hunting!

2 hours ago, Andy14 said:

Skyrim is the original Skyrim game.
LE is Legendary Edition - so Skyrim + 3 DLC's.  :D

I understand that much at least, lol. So my question is how do I get to play the Legendary Edition? It doesn't pop up on Steam to DL at all. Its Only SE, AE and VR. Oh, and the creation kit of course. Or is playing it a totally different animal than not using things like MO2 and Steam? Since it's a 32 bit thing do I need to give up the endeavor all together? And thanks for your reply Andy14

9 hours ago, Psalam said:

Skyrim LE is the "original" Skyrim game. It is also 32 bit. While Skyrim SE (and AE and even VR) are 64 bit games. This is the reason that mods are not easily converted between the games (although it has become easier over time). 

On LL it is generally true that any mod NOT designated as being for SE is for LE. However, on the file page, in the information on the right side of the page, it will indicate if a mod is compatible with the other version(s). 

Good luck and happy hunting!

So basically I can't play Legendary Edition on my brand new 64 bit PC? Well that's disconcerting and depressing...   :'(  Thanks for the info though.

17 minutes ago, wardawg3187 said:

I understand that much at least, lol. So my question is how do I get to play the Legendary Edition? It doesn't pop up on Steam to DL at all. Its Only SE, AE and VR. Oh, and the creation kit of course. Or is playing it a totally different animal than not using things like MO2 and Steam? Since it's a 32 bit thing do I need to give up the endeavor all together? And thanks for your reply Andy14

If Skyrim LE doesn't pop on Steam if you don't own it already, it's normal, Bethesda has hidden it to push players to buy the SE (and AE for now) version.

But fear not, if you still want to buy Skyrim LE, you can find it here (it's hidden but but not removed) :

The Base game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/72850/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim/

Dawnguard: https://store.steampowered.com/app/211720/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim__Dawnguard/

Heathfire: https://store.steampowered.com/app/220760/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim__Hearthfire/

Dragonborn; https://store.steampowered.com/app/226880/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim__Dragonborn/

42 minutes ago, wardawg3187 said:

So basically I can't play Legendary Edition on my brand new 64 bit PC? Well that's disconcerting and depressing...   :'(  Thanks for the info though.

And no, that's not what I said. You most certainly can play Skyrim LE on your computer. I was simply pointing out the differences, as you requested.

On 7/10/2023 at 5:33 PM, laurient said:

If Skyrim LE doesn't pop on Steam if you don't own it already, it's normal, Bethesda has hidden it to push players to buy the SE (and AE for now) version.

But fear not, if you still want to buy Skyrim LE, you can find it here (it's hidden but but not removed) :

The Base game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/72850/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim/

Dawnguard: https://store.steampowered.com/app/211720/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim__Dawnguard/

Heathfire: https://store.steampowered.com/app/220760/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim__Hearthfire/

Dragonborn; https://store.steampowered.com/app/226880/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim__Dragonborn/

Thank you! I appreciate yours and everyone else's help!