Starfield Direct looked amazing. Very promising.

2 hours ago, Wandering_Mania said:

Oblivion was the best so far in my opinion. As if it wasn't already obvious by my profile picture that is an edited version of 'The Shivering Isles' cover art, that I pulled from a fan site kit a long time ago. But I still had criticisms of it, and what it could have done better. I mean Skyrim is okay; But it's main quest is entirely contradictory to the entirety of the established lore on how the Elder Scrolls work.

Still, you'll find that kind of polarization in any community. And for any product on the market. But I wouldn't call it outright 'negativity'. It's just that when a company starts burning community bridges in order to make a little extra cash; Your going to see some members of that community start to be a little more cautious before attempting to start rebuilding them.

I've definitely heard the kind of story criticisms leveled at Oblivion by Morrowind fans, and to be honest the canon discussions are interesting for me because each Elder Scrolls game has been wildly different in tone and style. Things change, others stay the same, but you get to pick an era that suits you the most and stay there forever. And that's great. There's a reason each game has such dedicated modding communities. Each group wants an expansion on the world they love. 

I think your mention of burning bridges somewhat ties into what @Miauzi said. Are you referencing TES Online and Fallout 76 like them? I understand people's frustrations with those games for various reasons, but neither was made by Bethesda Game Studio, rather Zenimax Online and Bethesda Austin respectively. 

As for the actual meat of your point, @Miauzi, I see the Unofficial Patch argument as "Bugthesda" ammunition a lot. But, it doesn't seem to make much sense to claim that the only reason people enjoy Bethesda games is because of mods. The greatness of games came first, the modding community second. There wouldn't be such a large and passionate community willing to spend tens of thousands of collective hours creating for a game that was broken. Look at the difference in scope between the Skyrim and Fallout 4 modding community; FO4 was less appealing to many people than Skyrim was so the passion to mod it wasn't the same. Not to mention the fact that a very large percent of players fell in love with both those games before they even had access to modding. Personally, I played Skyrim for at least a thousand hours on Xbox 360. 

The Unofficial Patch (ignoring some aspects of it that clearly aren't even bug fixes) represents a triumph. Its a massive effort to improve a game people love. An effort that is entirely unreasonable to place on a developer to do. Especially when you consider wages for employees and that a lot of people also play without it. I'm not sure if it is even necessary, just a point of "common knowledge" people repeat. There appears to be a growing group of players that are forgoing USSEP entirely or never installed it to begin with. 

Anyways, I apologize for being off-topic and/or appearing combative. I one hundred percent am a Todd Apologist so you can disregard me.   

Edited by Papersword
On 6/12/2023 at 9:26 AM, Miauzi said:

O.M.G.

what a disappointment ... almost every scene had the feeling -> everything is just stolen ... because everything has been seen before in a game or a sfi-movie

if it was at least "well stolen" ... no ... they didn't even do that

---

Please why does the captain - that is me - walk around in his own spaceship in a CLOSED spacesuit - while his own crew sit next to him in normal overalls?

Was that something not finished yet ... because he doesn't wear the spacesuit because of a possible lack of atmosphere!

I agree, I saw Mass effect 1,2,3 & andromeda mixed in with Space Fallout 4, some Skyrim SE/AE, Red Dead Redemption.

There is a fan boy just like the kid from Mass Effect 3, I can't think of his name right know but was he annoying.

Oh and hoarding sandwiches???

Don't know about that.

The guy in the screenshot said the dancers were "Sexy" don't think so.

I never saw a shot where the main character was not in the Spacesuit, the Spaceships were cool.

That said I just Pre Ordered from Microsoft for PC, hoping I don't have to buy more parts for my computer to upgrade things.

We will see.

https://youtu.be/F-XAUs5igW0

If you go to this link, go to the last segment. That is where Starfield will be.

Starfield Direct Showcase Gameplay - Xbox 2023 - YouTube - Brave 6_13_2023 10_08_51 AM.png

Starfield Direct Showcase Gameplay - Xbox 2023 - YouTube - Brave 6_13_2023 10_23_42 AM.png

Starfield Direct Showcase Gameplay - Xbox 2023 - YouTube - Brave 6_13_2023 10_03_27 AM.png

Starfield Direct Showcase Gameplay - Xbox 2023 - YouTube - Brave 6_13_2023 10_04_51 AM.png

Starfield Direct Showcase Gameplay - Xbox 2023 - YouTube - Brave 6_13_2023 10_16_02 AM.png

Edited by Sir Bron

No atmospheric flight and no ground vehicles, I bet that's an engine limitation. (So much for Creation Engine 2) Also, we didn't even see views of an Ocean, Wetlands/Bogs or Lakes in the presentation, so they're probably still working on some elements in Starfield.

Generally, graphics look nice with some beautiful enviroments. But the characters skins looked way more detailed in the early trailer, I think they've downgraded some stuff to keep it at a steady 30fps on consoles.

I'm not convinced that everything is as it appears with Starfield, I'll wait until more information gets released before considering a purchase, but if the modders on here eventually get involved... well, take my friggin' money.

On 6/12/2023 at 4:24 AM, Sister Asphyxia said:

The showcase reinforced my opinion that at its core; Starfield was designed and built for multi-platforms in mind complete with generic, safe and uninspired gameplay to appeal to the masses and maximise profits by splicing game features that already should be included (e.g. multi-ship fleets). From what Bethesda has shown; Starfield itself adds nothing new of any note to gaming. Its not revolutionary in any way; if anything they've just thrown in stuff that's already been done before in one large melting pot, built up hype and called it a day.

The overall concept? No Man's Sky.

Space combat/exploration/trading? X2, X3, X4 game series.

Ship building? Space Engineers, FTL, Starship Constructor.

Sci-fi shooting? Borderlands, Halo, Mass effect, etc.

Colony building? Surviving Mars, Stellaris, Space Colony, Light of Altair, etc.

While I can understand how this would turn off someone, its the synthesis of these disparate mechanics that has me cautiously excited about Starfield. I'd argue being able to seamlessly switch between these different gameplay loops on the fly is novel in and of itself. I can't fly a ship in Mass Effect and I can't get solid gunplay in Stellaris or No Man's Sky. That's not a critique of these other games you've listed, just differences in creative vision/priorities.

Throw the CK in after launch and I think Beth has a winner on their hands...if it isn't mired in technical issues. I'm not saying it'll be on par with TES but solid.

Edited by ponzipyramid
10 hours ago, Papersword said:

I think your mention of burning bridges somewhat ties into what @Miauzi said. Are you referencing TES Online and Fallout 76 like them? I understand people's frustrations with those games for various reasons, but neither was made by Bethesda Game Studio, rather Zenimax Online and Bethesda Austin respectively. 

Yes it was actually. And yes, they did have different studios. But to the layman, it's all the same series, thus when those did good or bad, the overall success or failure, went to or fell at the feet of the company most know for those series and the one who is known for them. Because not everyone is as well versed in the inner workings of how the games industry hierarchy is laid out.

FO4 was less appealing to many people than Skyrim was so the passion to mod it wasn't the same.

I think some part of that was also the voiced MC (main Character). Which threw it right into 'Action/Adventure' rather than 'RPG'.

Personally, I played Skyrim for at least a thousand hours on Xbox 360.

I did the same with Oblivion before I got it on PC. Same console and everything. I guess that is one good thing that came out of me getting conned into buying the 360. I may have never even thought of getting Oblivion on the PC.

But yes, I do hold a sliver of hope for Starfield. And I do hope it is good. But I will definitely wait to see what the overall consensus is about it before I buy it. Mainly because of the sorted history of the ZMG (Zenimax Media Group).

I'm looking forward to Starfield. Don't know if I'll pre-order, but definitely will be getting it. I'm a sci-fi junkie at heart, so this appeals to me greatly.

As far as the requirements go, my current system is not top of the line, but certainly meets the recommended settings, other than the requirement for an SSD.

This puzzles me. 

Yes, SSD's are far faster than a standard HD, but they also don't have the lifespan of a hard drive. SSD's are best used for Operating Systems, where the read/write cycle isn't as heavily used, and therefore it will keep running for a long time. Throw games on there with frequent read/write cycles (writing game saves, deleting game saves, adding/removing mods, updates, patches, etc) and that SSD will start to die. When it does, you're going to have to completely rebuild your game setup.

Will I get an SSD so that I can run this?

Yes.

But I'll also be backing everything up on a HD periodically just in case.

Only thing that worries me is that there are some screenshots floating around of the player not being able to loot armor from defeated enemies.

Also when todd said "we have a new animation system" I immediately thought of FO4 and how annoying it is to add animations to that game for nsfw modders lol, I hope this is not a repeat of that.

13 minutes ago, sandmanalfa said:

Only thing that worries me is that there are some screenshots floating around of the player not being able to loot armor from defeated enemies.

This is true. In Starfield, we won't be able to strip the defeated enemy's clothing or armor. Hopefully, this is just a true/false toggle in the ini and not a feature that will have to be added in with mods. 

There were some other gripes I had such as lack of land vehicles, how they are handling dynamic locations and procedural content, lack of rear facing weapons or turrets on spaceships, some UI stuff, food only heals, etc...

But the overall game looks solid and fun. It's a BGS game in space and I can't wait to play it and mod it. I plan on playing through the main quest and then modding it to make more realistic, immersive, and yes...sexy. Neon in particular could really use some sexxxor. If there is ever a setting that would be perfect narrative wise for latex (or some sci-fi equivalent), it would be Starfield.   

11 hours ago, Ian1066 said:

No atmospheric flight and no ground vehicles, I bet that's an engine limitation. (So much for Creation Engine 2)

Correct (confirmed by Howard some time ago), you won't be flying thru the atmosphere or land on arbitrary locations on planets with seamless space to surface transition. You'll just select a map marker on the planet and click on the "Land" button then watch a landing cutscene, which is one major difference between this game and the likes of Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen or No Man's Sky etc.

As for no ground vehicles, that's probably why you are given a jet-pack. Their engine couldn't even handle horse drawn carriages let alone motor vehicles, which is most likely the reason why they were removed from Skyrim. Space combat is pretty much isolated and less taxing, so it's easier to handle.

11 hours ago, Ian1066 said:

Also, we didn't even see views of an Ocean, Wetlands/Bogs or Lakes in the presentation, so they're probably still working on some elements in Starfield.

Random planets with oceans and lakes with unique flora and fauna that you can explore is nothing but a "wet dream" I'm afraid. This isn't NMS. They might've have added one or two relatively small lakes or oceans that you can explore if there's a reason to do so (e.g. quests, resources).

A more important question, is there any climbable ladders in the game?

Edited by bjornk
25 minutes ago, bjornk said:

Their engine can't even handle horse drawn carriages let alone motor vehicles, which is most likely the reason why they were removed from Skyrim.

Then added back with a mod. Their engine can handle them. But I would take a guess as it's just another case of the 'It's good enough' syndrome that they are so proudly displaying.

I mean 'Empyrion: Galactic Survival' has land based vehicles, aircraft, and space craft. You can fly through the atmosphere, drive, and waste tons of fuel trying to get your titan sized ship off of a high grav planet. A huge galaxy, every planet can be landed on, and so on. Sure it's not as mod friendly, and pretty. But the functionality more than makes up for it.

I think the only hope Starfield has to compete with some of the more complex space games, is the modding community adding a ton of extra features that Bethesda 'can't be bothered' to add themselves.

1 minute ago, Wandering_Mania said:

Then added back with a mod. Their engine can handle them.

Nope, due to physics issues that mod kept bugging out, that's the extend their engine can handle it. Even F76 suffered from it.

35 minutes ago, belegost said:

NO PREORDERS

Yes. Not like digital shit is in short supply. Publishers like to keep this crap from the physical disk days. Weird that hunh...

I'd zero interest before. I'm slightly more interested now (that wouldn't be hard). Nothing new or exciting though tbh. Lots of rehashing of what's come before which might be 'just fine'. Lots of potential problems and pitfalls though...

Spongey enemies - though I suppose that's a bethesda thing anyway.

No humanoid aliens? (DLC?)

Never really saw any different enemy types...? 

AI looks pretty dumb. 

Gunplay looks mediocre. 

Animations better but still pretty stiff looking. 

Vast empty procedurally generated nothingness and npcs with nothing to say. (I think this is going to be my biggest problem)

Building, mining and gun modification - personally, not really interested tbh. 

Spaceships - interesting but I kind of expect it to be as shallow as a puddle. 

Yes. I'm a cynical old fucker. It's their fault (generally). Been burned too many times. 

Edited by Monoman1
10 minutes ago, Monoman1 said:
Spoiler

Spongey enemies - though I suppose that's a bethesda thing anyway.

No humanoid aliens? (DLC?)

Never really saw any different enemy types...? 

AI looks pretty dumb. 

Gunplay looks mediocre. 

Animations better but still pretty stiff looking. 

Vast empty procedurally generated nothingness and npcs with nothing to say. (I think this is going to be my biggest problem)

Building, mining and gun modification - personally, not really interested tbh. 

Spaceships - interesting but I kind of expect it to be as shallow as a puddle. 

The way you describe it here makes it sound like a Fallout game - in space. ?‍♀️

Edited by Alessia Wellington
5 minutes ago, Monoman1 said:

And I actually think that's way too high somehow...

Get Nuka Ride. I only ever played FO4 once, specifically because of this mod, and after finishing Nuka Ride's storyline, I know I will never touch FO4 ever again.

Also Interplay FO > Beth FO.

Edited by belegost
33 minutes ago, Alessia Wellington said:

You got further than I did. I've never made it to the point where I started to mod FO4.

I only got FO4 to mod it. On a sale. For less than 10€.

Fallout 4 wasn't that bad, I didn't expect a New Vegas, cause that's Obsidian, their writing style is an other world compared Bethesda ?

I never was a massive fan of Fallout 3, so outside the voiced protag which limited a lot things.. in bad way, tho you can mod it out nowadays, I can't complain a lot.

I dunno on Starfield, I gonna watch a bit more of it, but I'm a bit skeptic on the everything random generated.

Base, building, city building was already an excuse to not make any pre-built cities for Fallout 4.. which was pretty bad, so I wonder if we get more cities outside 1 >.>

They repeated the phrase "It's a Bethesda game through and through" several times during the presentation, so I have the feeling they want it to be their new meme, and to be fair, "It just works", "Sweet lies", "See that mountain?" and so on have become a little too retro at this point. Hopefully you guys will remember to employ it in your post-launch memes, I'm sure Todd would be pleased.