Starfield and Creation Engine 2

On 6/21/2023 at 2:22 PM, remodel said:

Also says new modeling tool is Maya which is not so good news because it's expensive and more difficult to use than Blender, which I find difficult.

Thank you for the insider info. Exciting.

In my opinion, Maya is still several notches better than Blender. But, it is expensive and owned by a crap company. And Blender is catching up fast!

But, that shouldn't really matter for us. The Ozz Animation readme says that it includes tools for converting between the popular formats. So, we will likely be able to use whichever app we have/prefer.

On 7/4/2023 at 8:52 PM, 31971207 said:

Should I be psyched that The Forge and Ozz animation are open source? It took a long time for SL to come out for Skyrim and I read it was much harder to make similar tool for FO4 and a big reason was that SKyrim/FO4 was using third party commercial tools that cannot be included in Creation Engine. Will this make LL community job easier?

The thing that caused SL-like tools in FO4 to take a long time is that it took a while before someone (Expired) stepped forward to make f4se for it.

That might be needed for Starfield also. So, it depends a lot on the good will of someone with a fairly niche skillset. OR, there is a possibility that Bethesda chose to add those functions in at launch time. Maybe wishful thinking?

You should still be psyched about the open source tools though. They mean that the potential areas of the game that can be modded will be greater.

14 hours ago, dagobaking said:

Thank you for the insider info. Exciting.

In my opinion, Maya is still several notches better than Blender. But, it is expensive and owned by a crap company. And Blender is catching up fast!

But, that shouldn't really matter for us. The Ozz Animation readme says that it includes tools for converting between the popular formats. So, we will likely be able to use whichever app we have/prefer.

The thing that caused SL-like tools in FO4 to take a long time is that it took a while before someone (Expired) stepped forward to make f4se for it.

That might be needed for Starfield also. So, it depends a lot on the good will of someone with a fairly niche skillset. OR, there is a possibility that Bethesda chose to add those functions in at launch time. Maybe wishful thinking?

You should still be psyched about the open source tools though. They mean that the potential areas of the game that can be modded will be greater.

Too right! I'm hoping that they use an open source physics library (e.g. bullet) and help develop it further.

For the public CK to not be an after thought with all the different issues, a really nice cherry for localisers would be an integration with some open source localisation self-hosting or cloud hosting capable software like Weblate for example.

Edited by Leoosp
  • 3 weeks later...

I gleaned a LOT of potential out of this.....

A few key things I noticed:

A handcuffed character (possibly the PC)

The "Alien DNA" trait

A bit about a "bounty system" (fitting since there's a bounty hunter trait)

and a whole slew of other interesting stuff that seems to lend well into adult

modding content.

Of particular interest was "Neon". I can already see a widevariety of overhauls

for a pleasure hub of such importance. Maybe your first visit to this hub

is such that you're there for a little R&R, while another "post defeat scenario"

actually finds you in it's "employ" (choose your preferred definition of employ ?)

As someone who thoroughly enjoys race modding, I'm excited to learn more about

what this Alien DNA trait actually entails at it's core.

But more pointedly, I foresee a TON of potential scenario building right from

the start, which could be hugely expanded upon once animation and scripting

mechanisms are in place. Adding "action to the story" so to speak.

And if I'm right, Starfield's modding capabilities will advance the modding community

by literal "lightyears" (pun intended ?)

Edited by Trykz
On 7/28/2022 at 7:30 AM, Pamatronic said:

I would argue that High-Fantasy still beats Sci-fi in terms of popularity, but yeah, it will probably totally eclipse FO

While Skyrim does fall into the high fantasy area, with the character saving the world, supposedly, in practice it comes across as just above low fantasy, too much focus on money and crafting, basically too much nitty gritty stuff, personally I would consider it at best middle fantasy type.

the creation engine  is obsolete and buggy game engine in 2023

it's

texture stay in 2010

light system stay in 2005

physic stay in 2000

plants and tree stay in 1995 tomb raider 1 level -.-

loading  (door) structure stay in 1996 resident evil 1 -.-

****** the important thing is if elder scroll 6 use this shit engine what will be... ******

52 minutes ago, chowsingsing3008 said:

the creation engine  is obsolete and buggy game engine in 2023

it's

texture stay in 2010

physic stay in 2000

loading  (door) structure stay in 1996 resident evil 1 -.-

****** the important thing is if elder scroll 6 use this shit engine what will be... ******

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. On PC this game looks great. Nobody in their right mind can say the shader & lighting quality is mid-2000's. Not the vanilla textures either, for that matter. The level of detail in facial animations being rendered in real-time is also top notch.

On 9/6/2023 at 9:21 PM, Decèdere said:

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. On PC this game looks great. Nobody in their right mind can say the shader & lighting quality is mid-2000's. Not the vanilla textures either, for that matter. The level of detail in facial animations being rendered in real-time is also top notch.

you really need to play other games like RDR2, DEAD SPACE REMAKE, LAST OF US, ASSASSIN CREED ODEYSSY, RESIDENT EVIL REMAKE SERIES, DEAD ISLAND2, HORIZON FORBIDDEN WEST ... the true nextgen of them 

Edited by chowsingsing3008

I have played some of those. RDR2 is one of the best looking games ever made. I'm not blind. You made a gross exaggeration in your previous post. I'm playing Starfield on PC with maxed graphics and I'm sorry but it looks great. No ray tracing unfortunately, but still. It's not mid-2000's graphics. Not even close.

Edited by Decèdere

4 hours ago, Decèdere said:

I have played some of those. RDR2 is one of the best looking games ever made. I'm not blind. You made a gross exaggeration in your previous post. I'm playing Starfield on PC with maxed graphics and I'm sorry but it looks great. No ray tracing unfortunately, but still. It's not mid-2000's graphics. Not even close.

you can check the release of crysis at 2007 how it's tree and plant interactive and compare with the lifteless of the starfield, here's the footage of crysis

and this is bethesda say it develop for starfield for 8 yrs, can you imaging there has not any interaction with plant when you walk through it shoot at them in 2023 lol, and the texture really look as tomb radier 1 level frankly

Starfield-2023-09-01-23-36-52-1536x864.webp

match LoL

E5ZqeJCXwAUs-JZ.jpeg.76f4572bd1cdeafcc494c7cdbbfd176e.jpeg

Edited by chowsingsing3008

Now you're talking specifically about environmental damage. And yeah, this hasn't been a feature in any Bethesda RPG as far as I'm aware, or most games in general for that matter. I do agree that it would be a nice feature in these games, but personally I don't care.

But I don't think you were talking about that originally. You said some things I think are factually incorrect:

texture stay in 2010

physic stay in 2000

loading  (door) structure stay in 1996 resident evil 1

And then you doubled down again for some reason:

43 minutes ago, chowsingsing3008 said:

texture really look as tomb radier 1 level frankly

Do you know what Tomb Raider 1 looks like? Why such an extreme exaggeration?

Here's a random screenshot from a forest biome on the planet Jemison (only forested area I've seen so far as I'm not that far into the game). It's not Tomb Raider 1 nor mid-2000s graphics. Could the graphics be better? Of course. Is it as bad as you're making it out to be? No.

StarfieldScreenshot2023_09.08-05_39_48_30.thumb.png.6a117521130615b3cadd2bbb5c2043a9.png

Here's not a great picture but the lighting, shader quality, and texture quality is clearly not Tomb Raider 1 nor mid-2000s:

StarfieldScreenshot2023_09.08-05_39_48_30.thumb.png.7a8cd9fc99496e79bccb30fdc5fe71a9.png

Edited by Decèdere
On 9/8/2023 at 10:24 PM, chowsingsing3008 said:

Starfield-2023-09-01-23-36-52-1536x864.webp

I don't know what quality level you're playing at but my game looks nothing like that screenshot. The game isn't perfect by any means considering it's an open world game with few loading screens, so inherent quality limitations, but the lighting, facial geometry, and overall render quality is greatly improved compared to Fallout 4. 

On 9/9/2023 at 6:11 PM, Veniat said:

I don't know what quality level you're playing at but my game looks nothing like that screenshot. The game isn't perfect by any means considering it's an open world game with few loading screens, so inherent quality limitations, but the lighting, facial geometry, and overall render quality is greatly improved compared to Fallout 4. 

Looks like low detail to me.

Honestly even then it still looks better than skyrim did on high detail in 2011...

I guess people complaining about lighting and such are playing on low detail because it looks great to me.