Cannot install SSEEdit (solved)

31 minutes ago, myuhinny said:

You don't install it you run the .exe file that's in it. So just extract it into a folder and click on the .exe file.

Semantics.     So I click the .exe file and I get the message I stated previously.   "Fatal: could not open registry key: ... SSE"...   "Run the game's launcher to restore registry settings."    

It has to register itself and it  DOES NOT.  The thing is completely useless.

20 minutes ago, Just Don't said:

You need to use the SkyrimSE Launcher at least once for most tools to detect your game install. If you're worried about updates keep a backup of your exe and dll file, although using the launcher (not opening the game) shouldn't trigger a Steam update.

I'm a bit shocked to actually get a useful reply.  Thank you.  

You are correct, I've run it from SKSE exclusively to avoid updates.  I lost my primary drive and had to revert far more than an exe and dll file to restore SE.  I hope you never have to find out.  I intend to take your suggestion and use the launcher but not open the game.  Thanks again.  

FYI: Used the launcher but never opened the game.  The game was detected and SSEEdit now works.  Fixed!! 

Edited by tch65721
9 minutes ago, Just Don't said:

You need to use the SkyrimSE Launcher at least once for most tools to detect your game install. If you're worried about updates keep a backup of your exe and dll file, although using the launcher (not opening the game) shouldn't trigger a Steam update.

To expand:  simply installing Skyrim does not create the Windows registry entries needed for other programs to find it.  xEdit (SSEEdit) needs the registry in order to locate Skyrim and determine which mods are available for editing.

You have to run the game at least once (usually by launching it through Steam), so that the registry can be updated.  After doing that the first time you can then launch the game using skse_launcher instead.

3 minutes ago, tch65721 said:

I'm a bit shocked to actually get a useful reply.  Thank you.  

You are correct, I've run it from SKSE exclusively to avoid updates.  I lost my primary drive and had to revert far more than an exe and dll file to restore SE.  I hope you never have to find out.  I intend to take your suggestion and use the launcher but not open the game.  Thanks again.  

You can run the downgrader if necessary.  You don't need to uninstall mods or anything, it won't touch those.  I had to do that recently when Steam decided to ignore my "don't update this" setting and did it anyway.

• myuhinny changed the title to Cannot install SSEEdit (solved)