>.> are the nexus servers run on a potatoe?

Dude500X

The more they try to improve the network, the more problems they run into.

"Right, last time I spoke to you we’d managed to get the database cluster online with 3 nodes (3 servers). Things were going fine and dandy, however, every once in awhile one of the nodes was getting out of sync. That’s fine, these things do happen without it being a bug in the system or what not. Unfortunately when a node becomes out of sync that node no longer serves requests so we only have 2 functioning nodes (or to put it another way, we’re running at 66% capacity) during this time. To make matters even worse another node needs to stop serving requests as well while the out-of-sync node can be brought back up to speed. So 1 node being out of sync actually brings 2 nodes down, so in a 3 node cluster we go down to only 33% capacity if a single node goes out of sync. During this time the sites become extremely slow or unresponsive due to the greatly diminished capacity of the cluster. If the single node running the entire network becomes too overloaded then we need to take matters into our own hands and manually shut down sites (send them into maintenance mode) until things are back and working. If you got redirected to our maintenance page at all over the past couple of months then that’s why. Are you following me so far?

The solution? Buy more servers and add them to the cluster. And that’s what we did. We now have 5 nodes in our cluster using 1 node as a hot spare; so 4 are serving requests from the site while the 5th sits back and stays in sync with all the others but doesn’t handle any of your requests. The thinking being when a node becomes out of sync the hot spare can kick into action and bring the out-of-sync node back into the fold quickly without having to worry about diminishing the performance of the rest of the cluster. Unfortunately we’ve run into a problem where-by adding more nodes to the cluster has actually had a worse effect, rather than a better effect, and after a month or so of troubleshooting we still have no idea why. We’re continuing to run tests in the day, which cause the 502/504/maintenance page errors you might have come across if you browse the site regularly and we’re currently drawing up a contract with a database consultancy firm so they can have an expert take a look at the issue. At $300 an hour. This means there might be some more short term pain (downtime or slowdowns) for what will hopefully be a future of peace and tranquility where the word down will never follow the word time on these sites again.

And hot on the heels of our database is our cloud cluster. So you’re wondering why we need two clusters? One is for database operations and one is for the actual page serving operations. If one of the nodes in the database cluster goes down then you can (well, you’re supposed to be able to) still use the sites perfectly fine. However at the moment, each of the Nexus sites (e.g. the actual pages of the site) are confined to a single dedicated server, so if that server goes down then you cannot access the site irrespective of whether the database is working fine. The Cloud solution we’ve ordered will make use of 6 identical virtual servers setup in a load balanced array. This means that all sites will make use of all 6 servers and if one server goes down all the sites will still work. That’s what we’re aiming for."

Teh name of the game.

Want to expand? gotta get the hardware first.

Seems like they're not completely understanding of this.

Edit: That said, they've seem to been more or less just fine for me the past week or two. The only issue I have is the background image failing to render on mod pages. Could be on my end, though.

I am refreshing most if not all of my mods. Getting updates here and on Nexus and I have to say the Nexus is working just fine now. I am not a paid member but only once the download link froze or looped or whatever. It didn't allow me to download. Simple fix, refresh the page and click download again..and I was good to go. In fact it seems to actually be running better and faster now.

@Lagoon0654.

I don't have the problem with the background image failing to render on the mod pages. Could be that they fixed it since you last tried it. I know they are trying to fix their issues and get there ... hum ... stuff ...... together.

Memory Lane.

Still running on a potatoe too.

Nexus is a bad monopoly for mods.. so many mods on there that are literally held hostage to server problems.

Hell, I've abandoned NMM now too because it will finish a download then will crash and then my file is fucking gone... im seriously considering making a "how to install mods with wrye bash" tutorial to help newbie mod users get away from that shitty mod manager.  And shame on all mod authors who make their mods only easy to install via NMM and impossible for everything else.

Memory Lane.

Still running on a potatoe too.

Nexus is a bad monopoly for mods.. so many mods on there that are literally held hostage to server problems.

Hell, I've abandoned NMM now too because it will finish a download then will crash and then my file is fucking gone... im seriously considering making a "how to install mods with wrye bash" tutorial to help newbie mod users get away from that shitty mod manager.  And shame on all mod authors who make their mods only easy to install via NMM and impossible for everything else.

I for one would love some tutorials for Wyre Bash.  It seems to be the best for Skyrim and almost a requirement for Oblivion.

That is strange. I guess I must be near some server or somthing because just a short time ago I downloaded Willow mod for FNV and some other mods from Nexus and it worked fine. In fact it seemed to work better than ever. However as a disclaimer I was only downloading mods for FNV and one or two for FO3 none for Oblivion,Skyrim or other games... yet. It could be just that the fixed whatever problems they have been having on that server.

I use the Kent premium server and download usualy at a speed between 1,5 MBps and 1,9 MBps. It happens that the downloads fail because of heavy load (even on this main server) or DDOS. Their provider seems to have certain problems not related to the Nexus network.

I get between 50 at the lowest and around 100 at the highest. I don't really mind. It doesn't drop and is reliable downloads without any corruptions. for reference I can pull upwards of 11Mbs normally. I am using the free version not premium. Free users are capped with their downloads if memory serves me correctly.

Archived