Skyrim LE vs SE for NSFW and SFW mods (2021)

I'm sure others asked the same question in the past, but at the moment, what do you guys think about Skyrim Special Edition (SE) and Legendary Edition (LE) in terms of mods, both NSFW and SFW mods? 

I came back to Skyrim modding after getting a new desktop PC with 3060 and i7-10700k, which is significantly better than the potato I ran SE on; and that gives me the dilemma of having to choose and focus on one edition because of time constraint, so what do people think about the two editions? In particular, for the present and the future, how do the two editions differ from each other? I read from other posts that modders have largely shifted their focus to SE, but right now, are there enough high-quality mods for SE that justifies abandoning LE? I know there are way more mods for LE, but at the same time, both editions have low-quality mods, and I don't know if SE is better than LE in that regard.

Also, I haven't spent years building a mod list, so I'm not limiting myself to only LE.

My focus is now on

- ENBs

- Retextures

- Followers

- Combat

- Weapons

- Loverslab

Edited by Demotomb

And what exactly do you consider a "potato"? i7-4820K and GTX 1060 3GB and I'm running Skyrim SE on Ultra settings, 2K textures, increased meshes and more. There's CAO if you want to try and convert Oldrim mods to SE. Skyrim SE, being 64-bit, also allows for more advanced mods. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/51614 alone is a HUGE improvement to gameplay. SexLab, the majority of mods seems to have been ported over. Skyrim SE also allows for a HIGHER mod limit with the .esl plugin (majority of patches, simple followers, simpler mods and some bugfixes won't contribute to the 254 limit of plugins).

3 hours ago, Rokabur said:

And what exactly do you consider a "potato"? i7-4820K and GTX 1060 3GB and I'm running Skyrim SE on Ultra settings, 2K textures, increased meshes and more. There's CAO if you want to try and convert Oldrim mods to SE. Skyrim SE, being 64-bit, also allows for more advanced mods. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/51614 alone is a HUGE improvement to gameplay. SexLab, the majority of mods seems to have been ported over. Skyrim SE also allows for a HIGHER mod limit with the .esl plugin (majority of patches, simple followers, simpler mods and some bugfixes won't contribute to the 254 limit of plugins).

By potato I meant my laptop, which was the machine I used for playing Skyrim SE (and later LE). It doesn't have a GPU. Just i7 with integrated graphics. It wasn't bad for work, but for gaming, or Skyrim in particular, I couldn't use a lot of mods, let alone the graphics-intensive ones. Now I have a better machine for the task.

Edited by Demotomb
4 minutes ago, Demotomb said:

By potato I meant my laptop, which was the machine I used for playing Skyrim SE (and later LE). It doesn't have a GPU. Just i7 with integrated graphics. It wasn't bad for work, but for gaming, or Skyrim in particular, I couldn't use a lot of mods, let alone the graphics-intensive ones. Now I have a better machine for the task.

Ah, I remember my old Core2Duo laptop that couldn't quite run Oldrim at minimal settings.

I've been rebuilding my NSFW LE modlist in SE, and I was able to almost perfectly recreate it. The exceptions were things like Mfg Console (not ported but More Informative Console and Mfg Fix do the same thing), the various SKSE bugfix mods (similar mods exist for SKSE64), and HDT-PE (couldn't be ported but there's HDT-SMP and CPBC).

On 9/18/2021 at 6:35 AM, Grey Cloud said:

The only thing on LL that is fading fast is the average IQ of its members as more and more SE users arrive.

Wow, much zinger, such burn, I'm in rooins, how ever will I recover from that snappy attack

https://www.loverslab.com/files/category/1-skyrim/

vs 

https://www.loverslab.com/files/category/163-skyrim-special-edition/

I keep both open in tabs and refresh them daily. LE is barely getting new mods or updates most days compared to SE, and many SE mods are not back compatible

It's 'ruins' and 'however' is one word.

5 hours ago, NoppaiKohai said:

157 pages.

5 hours ago, NoppaiKohai said:

53 pages.

If you want to use SE then use it. Stretch yourself by making your own decision.

Edited by Grey Cloud

Why does this always lead into a religious war?

Fact is, that a 64-bit based game has an advantage compared to a 32-bit version.

Fact is, that an old game will have more mods than a newer one.

@Grey Cloud more and more mods have both versions in the LE Download section, so just counting numbers that way is not 'reliable'.... Skip all the mods, that are completely outdated, abandoned or not ported officially because of the missing permissions the the difference is not so big anymore. 

@NoppaiKohai There are still a lot of things that don't really work in SE. (Most) animations are still created for LE and than ported, because the old tools don't work in SE. Not to speak of the differences between HDT-PE and HDT-SMP...  

People are going to claim its more stable, which technically out of the box it actually is.  I know about how to apply the memory tweak for SKSE or how to use ENB which functionally does the same thing.  If I spent time thinking about it, I could write at least 3 more methods to correct this issue that functionally gives LE a very stable enviroment for heavy modding.

ESL method makes for larger load orders.

UH sure, so does merging the mods together into one large mega mod, which I know how to do an have done a few times.  BY the way, merging mods actually really improves the games responsiveness in every single modded game I have played not just Skyrim LE but Fo4, Sims and so on.  

Just slapping ESL on there does not improve the games responsiveness or FPS....Merging however does.

SMP vs HDT physics.......Wow, so SMP is not really up to par....HDT far an away 10,000 X more outfits in both UUNP/CBBE, take your pick.  Not to mention that SMP comes with a lot of issues in an of itself.  I have played with both even at the same time on my LE game and just decided HDT was just better pick more available an so on.

BUT BUT....The new mods are coming out only for SE!!!!!!???!!

There is nothing I cannot back port to LE.

Ultimately I would rather just use what I know and what I know is that I already have had a working mod list for LE for just over a half decade.

By about this time it is like these threads are about bashing on Old Hands, who been there done that have the our sticker and know all about it...Likely more than you guys do.

I know at some point, some person is going to make that big next thing that should make me jump over to SE....Then I will back port it over to LE.

PS

I really want to start an epic rant right now about the piss poor state of modding in Skyrim SE and Fallout 4! 

But I will spare you for now.

Edited by Gameplayer

I think my decision to give up SE and return to LE was a pragmatic choice. 

More CTD due to faulty converted or corrupted assets than in LE.

Often broken dll after updates in SE - therefore SKSE64 and often long delayed fixes in dependent dlls.

Most of the Updates in SE where related due to CC - Bethesda did change the game binary even for a shittiy cosmetic "mod".

So a discarded LE means also a stable LE. No moving Parts on this side.

And for my focus on often scripted and heavy scripted mods there is no big advantage with SE, papyrus is not full 64 Bit extendet, so you may have same restrictions as in LE.

My LE VFS (MO2) data folder counts 55 Gb. CTD are very rare. But this is no free ride - a lot of bug hunting and trouble shooting is a usual part of it.

But now, SE seems also out of service by Bethesda, so no need for updates for SKSE64 and therefore related modules or libs. - stable.

So, after all there is no good general answer for your question. In all cases, it is a question of time ready to invest.

6 minutes ago, Gameplayer said:

People are going to claim its more stable, which technically out of the box it actually is.  I know about how to apply the memory tweak for SKSE or how to use ENB which functionally does the same thing.  If I spent time thinking about it, I could write at least 3 more methods to correct this issue that functionally gives LE a very stable enviroment for heavy modding.

ESL method makes for larger load orders.

UH sure, so does merging the mods together into one large mega mod, which I know how to do an have done a few times.  BY the way, merging mods actually really improves the games responsiveness in every single modded game I have played not just Skyrim LE but Fo4, Sims and so on.  

Just slapping ESL on there does not improve the games responsiveness or FPS....Merging however does.

SMP vs HDT physics.......Wow, so SMP is not really up to par....HDT far an away 10,000 X more outfits in both UUNP/CBBE, take your pick.  Not to mention that SMP comes with a lot of issues in an of itself.  I have played with both even at the same time on my LE game and just decided HDT was just better pick more available an so on.

BUT BUT....The new mods are coming out only for SE!!!!!!???!!

There is nothing I cannot back port to LE.

Ultimately I would rather just use what I know and what I know is that I already have had a working mod list for LE for just over a half decade.

By about this time it is like these threads are about bashing on Old Hands, who been there done that have the our sticker and know all about it...Likely more than you guys do.

I know at some point, some person is going to make that big next thing that should make me jump over to SE....Then I will back port it over to LE.

While I am waiting for the big thing to come to LE. And I'm going to port it over to SE....

In the meantime, there is no need to discuss this again, I think. 

Merging mods is also a thing in SE... So that's not a point. 'Knowing how to do things' is, especially for ppl who don't know...This is where the esl's come in handy.... On the other hand, you can merge mods and add more mods via esl... Hm...  I'm sure that someone is already thinking about how to make LE be able to use esl's....And heating up this discussion again.

Creation Club....Oh yes, somehow I forgot that one oh right I stopped playing those games.

Creation Club, the bane of massive load orders.  Having to wait weeks maybe months for all your favorite mods to update.

Guess what guys here's a whole Gigabyte of hard disk space we decided you did not need on your machine because we really want to encourage you to buy mods from us!  

Thanks Todwecare.

I honestly should have made a week end of writing ESP's on my end to make use of all the assets that they just dumped on my machine without my permission.

1 hour ago, Gameplayer said:

Creation Club....Oh yes, somehow I forgot that one oh right I stopped playing those games.

Creation Club, the bane of massive load orders.  Having to wait weeks maybe months for all your favorite mods to update.

Guess what guys here's a whole Gigabyte of hard disk space we decided you did not need on your machine because we really want to encourage you to buy mods from us!  

Thanks Todwecare.

I honestly should have made a week end of writing ESP's on my end to make use of all the assets that they just dumped on my machine without my permission.

CC updates haven't been a thing for a long time. Not to mention SKSE Address Library takes care of that problem pretty effortlessly.

I had a stable LE install for years. There was really no good reason to switch to SE. Starting over from scratch though ( in my case due to a total loss fire ), like the op is doing and inquiring about, and there is simply no good reason not to go SE.

As someone that has had a lot of time modding and mod authoring and trying out a lot of different things with modding in general....

If your relatively new and dont know much about the whole topic from a builder, user, both, or trying out new stuff well honestly your best bet is to go where people are very helpful.  That might actually be SE edition right now.  However weigh that against some of my concerns already expressed above in previous comments.....I have now recalled some issues with popular mods not working together, it was in fact a memory of having read through the comments pages of Wet N Cold combined with Frostfall which are just must haves even in a non-Adult game there the comments went on to illustrate that these two do not play well together in SE version in fact cause crashes.   This is not a rare occurance either similar issues exist for other popular mods converted over to SE however I believe that one could in fact just re-port them likely with better results now that this whole process had been throughly written about an every issue discovered by now.

As someone that avidly reads through posts that people make the most common issue with game failures for Skyrim Legendary edition come down to these.

1) Large Address aware flags have not been applied, absolutely critical that this is done, and it may seem so obvious to old hands that we forget to mention it.

EDIT, NOTE THAT this issue only effects Skyrim LE.

2) Hit animation limits with either FNIS or Sexlab Loader which will just fry your save game...There is a hard limit to the number of animations that can be loaded into the game even after the extensions for this problem were fixed it is still possible to go over the new limit easily with what is available now.

3) Using a poorly made mod or a new an relatively unpolished mod or in fact using way too many intense mods all of which together combine to make too many calls constantly to the PaP system which in LE can at some point cause problems that the only easy answer is reduce amount of those mod types, it is rumored that SE can easily handle that situation but my experience with Fo4 begs otherwise.  AKA the robust nature of say Fo4 on computer not crashing so easily has introduced a larger number of lazy made mods, this may well carry over to SE.

My best advice is that one should write down a list of must have mods by name, write out as complete a list and also include functions, body types, special effects, and so on.

Then compare with LE and SE to see if those games provide those wanted modules.  Also read into the comments, bugs, and forums to see if you end up having comments on how it was more stable back in LE this does come up in some popular mod combinations as I mentioned above.

This will take time unfortunately, modding a large load order almost never goes smoothly and can take days even weeks of effort to complete in which time you almost never get to play a stable game until every i is dotted and every t crossed.  This is very much part of the fun and experience for people that play with large amounts of mods, not so much in the case of new players to modding.

Edited by Gameplayer
On 9/20/2021 at 1:58 PM, gurugoile said:

I think my decision to give up SE and return to LE was a pragmatic choice. 

More CTD due to faulty converted or corrupted assets than in LE.

Often broken dll after updates in SE - therefore SKSE64 and often long delayed fixes in dependent dlls.

Most of the Updates in SE where related due to CC - Bethesda did change the game binary even for a shittiy cosmetic "mod".

So a discarded LE means also a stable LE. No moving Parts on this side.

And for my focus on often scripted and heavy scripted mods there is no big advantage with SE, papyrus is not full 64 Bit extendet, so you may have same restrictions as in LE.

My LE VFS (MO2) data folder counts 55 Gb. CTD are very rare. But this is no free ride - a lot of bug hunting and trouble shooting is a usual part of it.

But now, SE seems also out of service by Bethesda, so no need for updates for SKSE64 and therefore related modules or libs. - stable.

So, after all there is no good general answer for your question. In all cases, it is a question of time ready to invest.

This, is now history. Writing the posts let me recognize this decission was over 4 years old. In the meantime there are a lot of technical advanced mods - SE only - worth to take a closer look, long enough to give SE a secound chance. Created a new Profile in MO2 and startet mod hunting.

Thanks to all of this creative humans, for their love and work which made this possible.

“I reserve the right to be smarter today than I was yesterday.”
― Konrad Adenauer